Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2023 Draft thoughts thread.

I will say that the Texans definitely have everyone guessing. I’ve seen so many different scenarios on what might happen with the #2 pick.

I’m ready for Thursday to get here so we finally know. I’m tired of all the back and for and he said business.
Yes, it's pretty annoying. Just the past week, I've been reading that they could take any of the top 4 QBs, Anderson, Wilson, or trade back. No one seems to have any particular insight.

I'm glad other teams don't know what we're doing at least. Makes it harder for them on draft day.

Yes, it's pretty annoying. Just the past week, I've been reading that they could take any of the top 4 QBs, Anderson, Wilson, or trade back. No one seems to have any particular insight.

I'm glad other teams don't know what we're doing at least. Makes it harder for them on draft day.
I haven’t heard anything regarding Richardson. We didn’t even bring him in for a T30. I think he’s the least likely out of the QBs to get drafted by us.

Could lightning strike twice, or has NC learned a lesson?
Last draft, Texans took a punt on an injured player at their first pick
Tyree Wilson has been strongly mocked to us with our first this year! Although his foot injury is much less problematic than Stingleys Linsfranc, I would still shake my head if he is the pick.
I like Wilson, don't get me wrong there, but just the thought...
And then, on top of that, there is an outside chance that Texans draft Hendon Hooker with their next pick - God forbid, another injured guy. Who I also like. :smiliepalm:

Could lightning strike twice, or has NC learned a lesson?
Last draft, Texans took a punt on an injured player at their first pick
Tyree Wilson has been strongly mocked to us with our first this year! Although his foot injury is much less problematic than Stingleys Linsfranc, I would still shake my head if he is the pick.
I like Wilson, don't get me wrong there, but just the thought...
And then, on top of that, there is an outside chance that Texans draft Hendon Hooker with their next pick - God forbid, another injured guy. Who I also like. :smiliepalm:

Of my rathers.....I'd be very satisfied if the Texans landed both Will Anderson Jr and Lukas Van Ness in RD1. Not only would I be pretty excited by these two picks, but Ryans might need surgery to remove the smile off his face.

As the draft is getting closer, I'm beginning to lean early and often on setting up "Dirty Dozen +" for success....even if it means CK and Mills are the QB's next season. Might as well have a couple of veterans behind center as the new offense is installed. Bring in a new QB (if needed) for the 2024 season once the 2023 unit has a season under their belt. New QB would have a much better chance at YR1 success with this approach.

Okay my fellow draft warriors, this dw has bowed the knee to the QB gods for inspiration and a surprise prospect vision was granted to remove the scales from my eyes. It was one I had not considered seriously enough but have now opened up too.
After all that preamble, it is
Keep scrolling...
Anthony Richardson.
Hear me out.
What weapons did he really have?
A day 3 WR, a freshman RB and a first round guard. Anthony was Florida's offense.
If he was in Ohio's offense what could have been?
Sure he will only be marginally better off here but our offense will be much friendlier than Florida's and we will have a better run game.
This young man is just that - young - he will be 21 on May 22. He will have a lot of time to grow mentally yet.
And he wants to learn. He has been working with a QB coach named Hewlitt - supposedly one of the best private QB coaches in the country.
If Ryans and Slowik envision an attack like one they thought they might have had with Trey Lance, then AR has to be very enticing.

Last edited:
Okay my fellow draft warriors, this dw has bowed the knee to the QB gods for inspiration and a surprise prospect vision was granted to remove the scales from my eyes. It was one I had not considered seriously enough but have now opened up too.
After all that preamble, it is
Keep scrolling...
Anthony Richardson.
Hear me out.
What weapons did he really have?
A day 3 WR, a freshman RB and a first round guard. Anthony was Florida's offense.
If he was in Ohio's offense what could have been?
Sure he will only be marginally better off here but our offense will be much friendlier than Florida's and we will have a better run game.
This young man is just that - young - he will be 21 on May 22. He will have a lot of time to grow mentally yet.
And he wants to learn. He has been working with a QB coach named Hewitt - supposedly one of the best private QB coaches in the country.
If Ryans and Slowik envision an attack like one they thought they might have had with Trey Lance, then AR has to be very enticing.
Did you also see the drop rate for Florida's receivers? Abysmal. They had 9 in the 2nd half of one game.

Man I think the Jets lost in the Rodgers trade. A conditional 1st next year? What’s their backup plan if Rodgers decides to retire?

An amazingly stupid trade on the Jets part. How long to they think Rodgers is going to play? That guy has at the very most two more years before he'll retire, or he'll have to retire. That draft capital they gave up for Rodgers was wasted. Do the Jets actually think Rodgers is getting them to a SB in 2023 or 2024? :lol:

An amazingly stupid trade on the Jets part. How long to they think Rodgers is going to play? That guy has at the very most two more years before he'll retire, or he'll have to retire. That draft capital they gave up for Rodgers was wasted. Do the Jets actually think Rodgers is getting them to a SB in 2023 or 2024? :lol:
I do think he makes them a contender. They’ve built a great supporting cast. BUT advancing in the AFC is going to be hard with so many QBs in that conference.

This draft changes the more you look at it.
Guys you thought were locks 2 weeks ago now have issues that have been unearthed - even the "safe" guys have a thing or two you look at and think Hmmm...
It's gonna be real interesting and a lot of folks are going to be mystified and even pissed when they see the "best" guys being bypassed and teams reaching for lesser lights and I think Texans will not be an exception.
Gonna be a revelation on Thursday night - just watch.

2 year window to a Super Bowl. If it happens, a great trade. We all tend to overrate 1st round picks. So important for rebuilding teams. More disposable to teams trying to contend.

2 year window to a Super Bowl. If it happens, a great trade. We all tend to overrate 1st round picks. So important for rebuilding teams. More disposable to teams trying to contend.
This is what an upward trending franchise looks like. The Jets took a QB in the top 3 just 2 years ago (yet to determine if he will pan out), nailed a draft 1 year later and now traded for an old vet QB who is still very capable of playing at a level that can win a SB...not the exact same, but the roster building is not too far off from what some other team did in 2020

Just watched the replay of the Florida @ Tennessee game. Richardson vs Hooker. Both have lots of flaws and both show lots of promise. Darnell Wright is a beast! Jalin Hyatt was under-whelming

We have a Bryce Young vs CJ Stroud thread. But the closer we get to the draft it feels like we should have had a Will Anderson vs Tyree Wilson thread.

I feel like both have the ability to be excellent players. But I am concerned that the medical red flag for Wilson that has been discussed by @CloakNNNdagger has caused him to rocket up the Texans’ draft board.

I prefer Anderson. Sure Wilson has the superior measurables and more perceived “upside”. But i’m not picking two medical red flags two years in a row with top three picks.

Anderson is the cleanest prospect in this draft. If the biggest concern is “may not be perennial all pro” then you’re a pretty damn good prospect because there is nobody you can peg with those accolades before they take the field. DeMeco is a defensive-minded head coach and coaxed a DPOY campaign out of Nick Bosa, who has similar measurables to Anderson. He’ll find a way to get the best out of him.

If New England has 48 contracts in 2024 & the Texans have 10, who has more cap space?
Yet Houston has 36 players signed for next year. There are 15 teams with less players signed. NE has 38. Most have around the same within 1 or 2. There are only 5 teams with 40+ signed. You were saying?

Yet Houston has 36 players signed for next year. There are 15 teams with less players signed. NE has 38. Most have around the same within 1 or 2. There are only 5 teams with 40+ signed. You were saying?

Some of the players listed are on contracts with voidable year(s). Their contract still shows up with a cep hit in 2024, but they aren’t under contract to actually play. Mason, Schultz, Rankins, and Collins have a voidable 2024 year. Then there are the futures contracts that will likely be terminated if those players are cut. The Texans have six of those deals.

Realistically, the Texans have about 20 players that are going to be on the 2023 team that are contracted to play in 2024. That number will increase after the upcoming draft.

I wasn't trying to be derogatory. Just pointing out the dollars is only a part of it. #7 on that list is $80M. Some people were thrilled that we were 7th with $50M.

It's all about how you want to look at it.

How long should it have taken?
Do the math.

When Caserio was hired, we were talking about beign competitive in 2023.

Who has more cap flexibility is the question you should be asking. BTW, I bet they have 30 people under contract.
Yes, that's another part of it.

Take off your, "I love Caserio & will defend him to the death" glasses. I'm just pointing out objective ways of looking at the cap.

The year late thing was an attack on Caserio.

Does anyone doubt that DeMeco wants to install a culture here?
The question now becomes will FO allow him to do that.
It could start tomorrow night with Will Anderson at #2.
And the flip side of that is if they are not sold on the QB's, it would not be wise to try and jam one in there at #2 just for the sake of getting a QB - especially if they have WA rated higher.
The only fly in the ointment would be if the owners have put their foot down on a QB as not negotiable.

Some of the players listed are on contracts with voidable year(s). Their contract still shows up with a cep hit in 2024, but they aren’t under contract to actually play. Mason, Schultz, Rankins, and Collins have a voidable 2024 year. Then there are the futures contracts that will likely be terminated if those players are cut. The Texans have six of those deals.

Realistically, the Texans have about 20 players that are going to be on the 2023 team that are contracted to play in 2024. That number will increase after the upcoming draft.
Okay now do all the other teams who have the same amount of players showing as signed. Someone trying to do a comparison to NE and saying the Texans have 10 players is asinine.

No. Because Rodgers will not be their QB of the future. He's their QB now. No SBs now, not worth it. The Jets will looking for another QB in a year or two.

Exactly. No problem was solved here by the Jets. They just kicked the can down the road and will be back doing this again in a couple of years. They'll be no better at choosing at QB then and we'll see another reach from them if they can't sign someone else's veteran.

I wasn't trying to be derogatory. Just pointing out the dollars is only a part of it. #7 on that list is $80M. Some people were thrilled that we were 7th with $50M.

It's all about how you want to look at it.

Do the math.

When Caserio was hired, we were talking about beign competitive in 2023.

Who is this we you are talking about?

Team ownership or message board posters?

Have you decided that the Texans won't be competitive this year?

:coffee:

Exactly. No problem was solved here by the Jets. They just kicked the can down the road and will be back doing this again in a couple of years. They'll be no better at choosing at QB then and we'll see another reach from them if they can't sign someone else's veteran.

TBD

Back