Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All encompassing 2022 draft thoughts thread

"London was running away with the Biletnikoff Award before fracturing his right ankle in Week 9. Despite not playing a full season, he should have taken home the award given his routine dominance before the injury, as the 6-foot-5, 210-pound receiver earned a 91.8 receiving grade this year. He dominated in one-on-one scenarios and put up monster numbers due to his physicality and ball skills. London totaled 19 contested catches and 22 broken tackles in eight games — the former is six more than any other Power Five wide receiver through Week 12 while the latter is the second-most."
From PFF, who have him as the second highest graded receiver in this years draft.
Again, 12 yards per catch in college without seperation in a sorry defensive conference. In college football with all the room in the world and you're that size, you should be higher than 12ypc. Even a guy like Mike Evans whom they try to compare to was 20 ypc. Nuke was 17ypc. London is 12. So basically he's a jumpball guy all the time because he can't seperate. I wouldn't draft him before 3rd or 4th rd. You draft a wr in the 1st rd, especially top half, he needs to have some special qualities.

Again, 12 yards per catch in college without seperation in a sorry defensive conference. In college football with all the room in the world and you're that size, you should be higher than 12ypc. Even a guy like Mike Evans whom they try to compare to was 20 ypc. Nuke was 17ypc. London is 12. So basically he's a jumpball guy all the time because he can't seperate. I wouldn't draft him before 3rd or 4th rd. You draft a wr in the 1st rd, especially top half, he needs to have some special qualities.
Career stats were 13.5 ypc.
He was also double teamed most of the time.
You gotta think the whole picture.
Btw, who was his QB?

I think I may have mentioned this before but it is very intriguing to me - there is a chance, a good chance, Aiden Hutchinson falls to the Texans.
Here's how:-
Jags invested in one of the top QBs in several years in Lawrence last draft. Priority #1 should be to keep him upright.
Here, they take Evan Neal at #1.
The Lions do have Jared Goff, but...the temptation to take the projected #1 QB here is too much and they take Malik Willis at #2.
Lions scenario #2 - they have Jared Goff, so now they need to keep him upright and take the nasty Ikem Ekwonu at #2.
Another possibility is Jags take Ikem Ekwonu at #1 and that would present Lions with Evan Neal.
So there are three (or is that 4?) plausible scenarios that have AH falling to #3.
If he does, Texans will run to the podium with Aiden Hutchinson in giant letters on their card.
To build on this thought, if Hutchinson falls to Texans, how good does this look:-
#3 Aiden Hutchinson.
#13 Drake London.
#37 (or trade up to#33) Zion Johnson!
Those three have the potential to turn this franchise into a .500 team as rookies.

To build on this thought, if Hutchinson falls to Texans, how good does this look:-
#3 Aiden Hutchinson.
#13 Drake London.
Those three have the potential to turn this franchise into a .500 team as rookies.
I’d be good with that.
But get Kenneth Walker III with the next pick.

Ask yourself the same question about Burks and Pierce. Both were at almost 17ypc despite playing in the SEC with Burks
I like both Burks and Pierce as well but your notion you would not take London until the 3rd or 4th rounds is laughable.
You think your opinion matters more than nationally recognized experts - sorry, but I don't.

#3 Aiden Hutchinson.
#13 Drake London.
Even if you go with Sauce, Karlaftis and Hall or Kenneth Williams, that would possibly net you .500 or better ball club.

I like both Burks and Pierce as well but your notion you would not take London until the 3rd or 4th rounds is laughable.
You think your opinion matters more than nationally recognized experts - sorry, but I don't.
The noted history of tall,slow, wr's who can't seperate is there. Dwayne Jarrett, Mike Williams,the dude from FSU,hell JJ Stokes and Kelvin Benjamin. All big wr's who couldn't get off the jam and weren't productive in the nfl. On top of that, in college, those guys had a higher ypc than London and guess what? They bombed out. If you're over 6'3 and not at least a 4.5 guy, which watching London,he's probably 4.7 ish, its hard to sell any route in which the db doesn't think you can run by them. Brandon Marshall as an example, was at least a 4.5 guy and he broke alot of tackles. He was drafted in the 4th or 5th rd by the wr gurus of the shannahans. Someone will bit the apple on London and we will wonder why he can't avg anything more than 10ypc and can't get open. At the very least, we know Pierce and Burks can run by people. London ain't running by anyone.

There was a draft expert who was the gm with the Raiders. He had alot of 1st rd draft capital because he traded a wr and a pass rusher. How well did that expert pan out when his job was based on picks? Not so well. All of us on here like players and think they will go here or go there. These boards are horizontal and vertical. BPA is in the eye of the beholder. Again, I wouldn't draft a big slow wr before the 4th rd who avg 12 ypc in the Pac 12.

The noted history of tall,slow, wr's who can't seperate is there. Dwayne Jarrett, Mike Williams,the dude from FSU,hell JJ Stokes and Kelvin Benjamin. All big wr's who couldn't get off the jam and weren't productive in the nfl. On top of that, in college, those guys had a higher ypc than London and guess what? They bombed out. If you're over 6'3 and not at least a 4.5 guy, which watching London,he's probably 4.7 ish, its hard to sell any route in which the db doesn't think you can run by them. Brandon Marshall as an example, was at least a 4.5 guy and he broke alot of tackles. He was drafted in the 4th or 5th rd by the wr gurus of the shannahans. Someone will bit the apple on London and we will wonder why he can't avg anything more than 10ypc and can't get open. At the very least, we know Pierce and Burks can run by people. London ain't running by anyone.
Probably 4.7; can't run by anyone.
You are guessing and obviously haven't watched any tape.
He is elusive and can make people miss. He highpoints the ball better than any other receiver in this draft, has amazing hands and catch radius and a big time RedZone threat.
Probably why the experts have him ranked so high.

Did Coach Lovie show his hand too early?
I agree on getting Sauce at 3 knowing they have 13 to play with and will still get an elite player there too.
I agree Lovie likes Gardner, but what about 13.

I believe there is a broad consensus that the Texans want to upgrade their interior OL. If we take Sauce at 3, then Neal and Ekwonu will be gone at 13. It's too early for Green.

I believe it makes a lot of sense to take Neal or Ekwonnu at 3, then at 13 take the next best CB, discounting Stingley for medical reasons, and that would be Trent McDuffie.

McDuffie doesn't have the size Lovie likes, but otherwise has an excellant cb profile. OL then CB is the best one two that addresses both Texans priorities.

And who knows,, maybe they might go with Stingley.

I agree Lovie likes Gardner, but what about 13.

I believe there is a broad consensus that the Texans want to upgrade their interior OL. If we take Sauce at 3, then Neal and Ekwonu will be gone at 13. It's too early for Green.

I believe it makes a lot of sense to take Neal or Ekwonnu at 3, then at 13 take the next best CB, discounting Stingley for medical reasons, and that would be Trent McDuffie.

McDuffie doesn't have the size Lovie likes, but otherwise has an excellant cb profile. OL then CB is the best one two that addresses both Texans priorities.

And who knows,, maybe they might go with Stingley.
What about this youngster right here?

Probably 4.7; can't run by anyone.
You are guessing and obviously haven't watched any tape.
He is elusive and can make people miss. He highpoints the ball better than any other receiver in this draft, has amazing hands and catch radius and a big time RedZone threat.
Probably why the experts have him ranked so high.
All those guys I listed were ranked high and drafted high and failed miserably. The common denominator were tall wr's who couldn't run. If you're 12 ypc in college, especially in the Pac 12 where its wide open and thats all you got, then its easy to say you can't run by people.

What does Clemson have to do with it? Just curious. I mean, I have my issues with all the Alabama linemen and how they seem to be maxed out in college. What are your reasons against Clemson?

They are selfish trashy people. In general. More problems than they're worth. Watch Terrell and Mulughetta next off-season if Terrell has a good yr and stays healthy.

I think the last 4 yrs is a perfect example of why I don't want to spend high picks on Clemson trash. I'm ok with having maybe 1 late rd guy from Clemson on the team. But more than one on the team and you're asking for trouble.

I feel

They are selfish trashy people. In general. More problems than they're worth. Watch Terrell and Mulughetta next off-season if Terrell has a good yr and stays healthy.

I think the last 4 yrs is a perfect example of why I don't want to spend high picks on Clemson trash. I'm ok with having maybe 1 late rd guy from Clemson on the team. But more than one on the team and you're asking for trouble.

I feel
So you fault the agent for getting the most money for his client from such a short career? You do know that Athletes 1st have more agents other than Mulghetta right?

All those guys I listed were ranked high and drafted high and failed miserably. The common denominator were tall wr's who couldn't run. If you're 12 ypc in college, especially in the Pac 12 where its wide open and thats all you got, then its easy to say you can't run by people.
Watch some tape.
He's a menace with the ball in his hand.
Oh btw, there are plenty of tall receivers who are doing quite nicely in the NFL.
Oh and Treylon Burks is tall.

Watch some tape.
He's a menace with the ball in his hand.
Oh btw, there are plenty of tall receivers who are doing quite nicely in the NFL.
Oh and Treylon Burks is tall.
Burks ran a 4.4/4.5. The tall wrs that are doing well, go see how many where 12 ypc in college and also check their 40,10yd split,and short shuttle. I'm pretty certain they were better than London. What tall wrs in the nfl who are currently probowl level ran a 4.6/4.7 coming out of college? I'll wait

Here's a great resource that makes looking up a prospects strengths and weaknesses one touch without having to switch between different websites.
Just click the dual ^ on the right hand margin.
I'm a vet to this draft thing. I'm from the Joel Bushbaum tree. I appreciate the link, but I use those and many more plus I see what I see from tape and stat wise. Let's do this, pick any probowl caliber wr over 6'2 and then go check his college ypc and match with his measurables and tell me what you get

Who are the 1st round WRs In this draft?
In my personal opinion, based on skillset,production,and upside, Williams is far and away the cream of the crop,1st rd talent. Olave,Wilson,even though they have a 1st rd projected qb, their ypc should be alot higher. The Penn State kid, but I think with the depth of the position, alot of these guys are going to slide to the 2nd and even 3rd rd. Wr in college is similar to he rb now in terms of depth. Back in the day, when college was run oriented, the depth wasn't as good. Now everyone is throwing the ball 600 times and teams are having multiple 1k wr who are catching footballs. If Jameson is gone by 13, I would wait until 3rd rd and get Pierce.

Burks ran a 4.4/4.5. The tall wrs that are doing well, go see how many where 12 ypc in college and also check their 40,10yd split,and short shuttle. I'm pretty certain they were better than London. What tall wrs in the nfl who are currently probowl level ran a 4.6/4.7 coming out of college? I'll wait
Show me where London is 4.6 or slower.

I'm a vet to this draft thing. I'm from the Joel Bushbaum tree. I appreciate the link, but I use those and many more plus I see what I see from tape and stat wise. Let's do this, pick any probowl caliber wr over 6'2 and then go check his college ypc and match with his measurables and tell me what you get
This was intended as a general resource for everyone to use but if you want to see it only as slanted towards one individual, then I don't know what to tell you.

Show me where London is 4.6 or slower.
Height: 6-4
Weight: 219 pounds
40 time: 4.5 seconds (estimated – did not run at the combine)

Due to his ankle injury, London attended the NFL Combine but only for interviews and did not perform or get measured. He intends to have his own Pro Day on April 5, separate from the official USC Pro Day held on March 23. He is still working towards full recovery from his ankle injury but is expected to be completely ready for the 2022 NFL season.

Height: 6-4
Weight: 219 pounds
40 time: 4.5 seconds (estimated – did not run at the combine)

Due to his ankle injury, London attended the NFL Combine but only for interviews and did not perform or get measured. He intends to have his own Pro Day on April 5, separate from the official USC Pro Day held on March 23. He is still working towards full recovery from his ankle injury but is expected to be completely ready for the 2022 NFL season.
Thanks. I saw that somewhere too.
Some people will still be unconvinced of his value as a mid first round pick.

Back