Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All CBs not named Nnamdi Thread - Free Agency & Texans

Were you watching the NFL Falcons? Dunta looked just as bad in Atlanta as he did in Houston. They just had better ways to compensate.

Then why are so many "analysts" calling the guy a top 15 NFL CB. For the record, I completely disagree and don't think he is really all that good at all, but he looked decent because of the help he had with the Falcons.

ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Looks like the Johnathan Joseph decision is going overtime. Not going to happen tonite. Stay tuned

ClaytonESPN John Clayton
The holdup on Joseph is the wait for Nnamdi to set the market price. Everyone is in on all top cbs.

Then why are so many "analysts" calling the guy a top 15 NFL CB. For the record, I completely disagree and don't think he is really all that good at all, but he looked decent because of the help he had with the Falcons.
You can't discount "name recognition" with these ANALysts.

You can't discount "name recognition" with these ANALysts.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Believe me, I can't stand Dunta. But you are delusional if you don't think Grimes is a much better DB than anyone the Texans ever had opposite of Dunta other than Aaron Glenn (which to make my point was the last time, IMO, that Dunta looked like a top tier NFL CB).

The season dunta got injured he looked very good.

Dunta is at least around the ball most times if his man makes a catch.

The season dunta got injured he looked very good.

Dunta is at least around the ball most times if his man makes a catch.

It just seems more often than not his man makes the catch. Not many pass deflections or interceptions by Dunta.

From this morning

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/38355/59/were-just-getting-started

1. Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha

Cornerback is free agency's deepest position, but there's a holdup. It's because Asomugha hasn't agreed to terms yet. The Jets and 49ers have been his most ardent pursuers, and the Texans also remain in the mix. Look for Asomugha's agent to broker a deal by this afternoon.

Prediction: Jets on a five-year, $65 million contract.

2. Cornerback Johnathan Joseph

Joseph is a ball-hawking "off-man" corner with elite talent but a checkered injury history. The Texans consider him a viable fall-back option if they don't land Asomugha, and it's reasonable to think the 49ers feel the same way. When Asomugha agrees to terms, Joseph will soon follow.

Prediction: Texans on a four-year, $33 million contract.

I'm not disagreeing with you. Believe me, I can't stand Dunta. But you are delusional if you don't think Grimes is a much better DB than anyone the Texans ever had opposite of Dunta other than Aaron Glenn (which to make my point was the last time, IMO, that Dunta looked like a top tier NFL CB).
I don't doubt that at all about Grimes. I think Dunta gets a lot of recognition for having been the best DB the Texans had for several years. As someone else stated, that's like being the worlds tallest midget.

I disagree. The only time the Raiders are in the news is when there is a negative light on them, where Nnamdi is never involved.
I never meant nor implied that that the Raiders were in the news because of how great they play football. I agree that Nnamdi has been a model citizen.

Well, he sure can close fast. <-- Big Hit Video

I know the name but honestly haven't watched him enough to say whether I 'really' want him or not. Probably would be a good veteran pick up if we get Nnamdi/Joseph!!

Wikipedia said:
Midway through the 2008 NFL season, Manning took over Devin Hester's duties as the team's kick returner. On December 11, 2008, he returned a kickoff 83 yards for a touchdown, making it the first regular season opening kickoff returned for a touchdown for the Bears since 1972.[2] A week before this touchdown, Manning picked off David Garrard's pass on the Jaguars opening drive, and returned it to the Jaguars five-yard line.[3]

Manning led the league in return average and number of 30+-yard returns, despite only starting half the season. Manning was Bears starting nickelback in 2008, and competed with Josh Bullocks, Corey Graham, Kevin Payne, and Craig Steltz for starting free safety.[4] Manning won the starting position before the start of the Bears 2009 summer training camp.[5] On passing downs, Manning will play nickelback, while Steltz will fill in for him at free safety.[5] Due to Manning's larger role on defense, the Bears have chosen second year wide receiver Johnny Knox to take over kick returning duties.[6]
Sounds like a safety we could use. Has return abilities and experience at bother corner and safety.

Haven't seen many Bears games outside of their playoff matchups.

Returns kicks too, that would really be helpful. Also is from Texas so hopefully that gives us an edge.

I was setting my sights on guys like Dashon Goldson if we land one of the top corners. If we could get Manning and Asomugha/Joseph... I'd be setting up a kool-aid drip.

Danieal Manning would be a very good signing. Came out of Abilene Christian, 2006 created some buzz in Shrine game which boosted his stock into the 2nd rd. Good safety with size/experience. Still young fitting in with core of this team (2006 draft) to grow long term, would be excellent situation to help Glover Quin. We'll know for sure tomorrow because he will go quick when open FA begins.

Danieal Manning would be a very good signing. Came out of Abilene Christian, 2006 created some buzz in Shrine game which boosted his stock into the 2nd rd. Good safety with size/experience. Still young fitting in with core of this team (2006 draft) to grow long term, would be excellent situation to help Glover Quin. We'll know for sure tomorrow because he will go quick when open FA begins.
I like him. We reallyreallyreally need a good veteran safety. I'm pretty worried about the youngsters we have now. They might be great players but it also might take a couple of years for them to reach that potential.

I like him. We reallyreallyreally need a good veteran safety. I'm pretty worried about the youngsters we have now. They might be great players but it also might take a couple of years for them to reach that potential.

he can fit in Wade Phillips system, he turned down a 3 year 6 million dollar deal from Chicago so I'm guessing an offer similar to Jacoby might get it done which won't break the bank so they can still sign a good veteran CB. I really think a key is his timetable is aligned with Texan core players so they should peak over the next 5 years making a sustained playoff stretch run.

Is that a "please Lord..... yes!!" or a "please Lord, what is Rick Smith thinking?"

I found this on Rotoworld:
The Texans and Saints are among the teams showing interest in free agent S Danieal Manning.
The Bears are ready to let Manning walk after using third-round draft picks on a safety in each of the last two years. The Texans could certainly use a player that is versatile in the secondary and doesn't give up touchdowns. Jul 28, 9:50 AM
Source: Chicago Sun-Times

Is he a strong safety? an in the box guy?

That's what we need opposite Quin.

Old-school "in the box" safeties are part of NFL history. With all the 4 and 5 WR sets and with TEs that run like the wind, every team in the NFL is looking for two safeties that can cover. It's become too easy to exploit the "in the box" safety and those safeties force defenses to declare coverages too early.

Manning has good coverage skills.

it seems that they want to play with twin safeties, both playing deep simple way of saying need 2 FS players on the field. both with good coverage skills. if they wanted in the box they would have kept pollard

Old-school "in the box" safeties are part of NFL history. With all the 4 and 5 WR sets and with TEs that run like the wind, every team in the NFL is looking for two safeties that can cover. It's become too easy to exploit the "in the box" safety and those safeties force defenses to declare coverages too early.

Manning has good coverage skills.

ie: see Bernard Pollard

it seems that they want to play with twin safeties, both playing deep simple way of saying need 2 FS players on the field. both with good coverage skills. if they wanted in the box they would have kept pollard

Traditionally we've played 2 SS type guys. Wilson is the only legit FS that I believe we've had in a while..

In the past, our MO has been to stop the run & our defense had been built for that, including the secondary.

Run support has been given priority over coverage ability.

If this is the new way, I'm all for it.

My question remains, is Manning a SS or a FS?

traditionally we've played 2 ss type guys. Wilson is the only legit fs that i believe we've had in a while..

In the past, our mo has been to stop the run & our defense had been built for that, including the secondary.

If this is the new way, i'm all for it.

My question remains, is manning a ss or a fs?

ss.

Traditionally we've played 2 SS type guys. Wilson is the only legit FS that I believe we've had in a while..

In the past, our MO has been to stop the run & our defense had been built for that, including the secondary.

If this is the new way, I'm all for it.

My question remains, is Manning a SS or a FS?

SS but has good coverage skills

Manning would be our "SS" with Quin as our "FS" but they would be interchangeable. They'd stay on their same side of field and not switch sides just because of what a TE/WR does.

Manning has played nickle and free safety. But he'd be lined up as our "SS" I would imagine. It's like technically calling Mario an OLB although he's not going to have the same responsibilities as the prototypical 34olb... he'll be lined up in that spot.

I'm going to be so pumped when we get Manning and Asomugha.

Manning would be our "SS" with Quin as our "FS" but they would be interchangeable. They'd stay on their same side of field and not switch sides just because of what a TE/WR does.

Manning has played nickle and free safety. But he'd be lined up as our "SS" I would imagine. It's like technically calling Mario an OLB although he's not going to have the same responsibilities as the prototypical 34olb... he'll be lined up in that spot.

I'm going to be so pumped when we get Manning and Asomugha.

key word is interchangeable. Glover is a stronger tackler so he should be the SS while both can cover, Manning has better ball skills so should be the FS.

key word is interchangeable. Glover is a stronger tackler so he should be the SS while both can cover, Manning has better ball skills so should be the FS.
I could live with that. :fingergun: hahaha

Manning sure can lay some wood though. I'm getting so excited about this season.

He has the size to support the run well but also has pretty decent coverage skills from what I've seen. 5'11" 211 lbs. I haven't seen a lot of him, though. He would be an economical upgrade imo.

NFLN CHargers reporter saying that the Texans offered Weddle MORE than the Chargers did but he wanted to go back to the Chargers.

Holy smokes!! I listened to an interview with Weddle a week ago and the guy (Matt somebody, I think local sports radio guy?) asked him about Houston and Wade Phillips... and the TExans historical lack of success. He sounded interested in Houston and though Wade was great. And said that the Texans history wouldn't be a factor in his decision: that we had some really great players and teams change so much year to year. That one or two players added can make a huge difference and get us over the edge.

Shows SS on WalterFootball's FA list.

Manning was evaulated as a corner coming out of College w/experience playing both safety positions. His return & ball skills combined with decent length make him ideal FS. Glover is more compact, aggressive & hard nosed like you want from a SS. First time I saw him he reminded me of a boxer. Together they would be a solid safety tandem.

Manning was evaulated as a corner coming out of College w/experience playing both safety positions. His return & ball skills combined with decent length make him ideal FS. Glover is more compact, aggressive & hard nosed like you want from a SS. First time I saw him he reminded me of a boxer. Together they would be a solid safety tandem.

Yep.

I think glover would be a fine ss.

If we sign one of the top corners its going to be interesting to see what they do at the safety spots.

McClain: Texans one of three finalists for Daniel Manning. Texans have told players they cant make them offers until they see what happens with Joseph and Asomugha.

McClain: Texans one of three finalists for Daniel Manning. Texans have told players they cant make them offers until they see what happens with Joseph and Asomugha.

As an ACU graduate, I have kept hoping that we'd get one of the ACU players (Danieal Manning, Bernard Scott, Johnny Knox, and this year, Edmond Gates). If for no other reason than that, I'd like him to come here.

Back