Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All CBs not named Nnamdi Thread - Free Agency & Texans

According to LZ this morning on the radio they don't actually have to fit under the cap until year three of the new CBA, so essentially years one and two are uncapped. Just got to make it work right in 2013.

I can go for moving , cutting Okoye and Slaton.
Brian Russell wont make the roster.
We can cut Andre Davis too.
Mouldin ? Sure , Barber ? Maybe so ....

Jason Allen , Casey Studdard and Brice McCain ? ..... Nope. They gotta stay.

:texanbill:

Brian Russell? He hasn't played for us since 2009! :kitten:

Good luck cutting him haha!

Oh and by the way, we can't cut Andre Davis. Unless you want to lose 6 million dollars or so in dead money.

I wasnt jokin .... most of those players contributions are on ST .... cant forget about that part of the game.

Studdard for Smith .... I can go for that but , the savings is so small that they might as well attempt to restructure other deals and keep the roster intact.

I still think they find a way to make Asomugha a Texan.
FYI, 610 radio "odd couple" Warner had Studdard on today & Warner said he will be eslewhere. Studdard "wants to be a Texan" but willing to move on. Said all right things. I am really not too interested in backup Olinemen playing special teams

According to LZ this morning on the radio they don't actually have to fit under the cap until year three of the new CBA, so essentially years one and two are uncapped. Just got to make it work right in 2013.

i have not seen this anywhere.

FYI, 610 radio "odd couple" Warner had Studdard on today & Warner said he will be eslewhere. Studdard "wants to be a Texan" but willing to move on. Said all right things. I am really not too interested in backup Olinemen playing special teams

Wrong thread?

The point is we only have salary information from 2009 and all players I mention were on that roster. If everyone is gonna use that number, then we can lower said number if guys salaries are subtracted off. That is the point I was making about John McClain use of $7 million below new cap of $120million and how he arrived at that amount..

Wrong thread?
No, right thread. Corrosion & I were discussing my post #96 page 5 about cutting Casey Studdard's $1/2 million from 2009 salary cap number. He thinks Studdard should remain as cheap salary & a ST player. I disagreed.

No, right thread. Corrosion & I were discussing my post #96 page 5 about cutting Casey Studdard's $1/2 million from 2009 salary cap number. He thinks Studdard should remain as cheap salary & a ST player. I disagreed.

Woops, my bad. Thread title is about CBs and I saw you start talking about an OL. I should keep better track of these things.

120- 7.6= 112.4 another completed unsubstantiated number. Chuckle, at least I tell you where my numbers come from. Anyway, let's go with it for now.

$7.6 m available
3.0 m can be borrowed from a future year
2.0 m saved from cutting Okoye and Slaton(bonus still counts this year)
3.0 m cut safety Brian Russell
4.7 m cut WR Andre Davis
1.2 m cut CB Jason Allen
.5 m cut OG Casey Studdard (round down from 550,000)
.5 m cut S D. Barber (round up from 470,000)
.870 cut Mouldin ($470,000) and Brice McCain ($405,000)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
$23.4 million for Asomugha and safety of your choice.

Use the $3.5m allowed over the cap to re-sign Leach or a #2 WR.

Cutting the players playing for .5m seems excessive. They're working on the cheap already, and you'll still have to sign SOMEONE to take their place on the roster. Depth and ST are important.

I was talking about rookies not having to fit under cap this year. I should have clarified. Thanks for posting but I was aware of this info. I think teams can only borrow $3million this year from one future year. In 2012, borrow $1.5 m from a differnet future year. I also think the $3m that will be allowed over cap as "player benefits" is to keep one of our own vets & can not be combined with an offer for another team's free agent like Asomugha for example. I am not clear on this as language I've seen just says "vet".

Cutting the players playing for .5m seems excessive. They're working on the cheap already, and you'll still have to sign SOMEONE to take their place on the roster. Depth and ST are important.

Understand your point but the cut was 2 players that total one million which is insignificant by itself but added to remaining cuts give an impressive total. Give me a superstar like Nnamdi Asomugha and I'll find another player already on roster to play ST. Any way seems like Studdard will not be brought back ( see my earlier post). Remember Casey was behind Caldwell, Smith and Briesel & maybe would have been beaten out by the Smith on PS for OG.

Nnamdi Asomugha, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans are in desperate need of a shutdown corner. Asomugha's suffocating bump-and-run skills are ideally suited for Wade Phillips’ aggressive system. If the Texans are willing to cough up the capital to bring him into the fold, this will be the marquee signing of free agency.

Bad Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
The thought of Asomugha teaming up with Asante Samuel is certainly intriguing, but it is not sensible from a philosophical or schematic standpoint. The Eagles traditionally give out big deals to young players approaching their primes, and Asomugha's age (30) makes it very likely he is on the backside of his career. Also, the Eagles are reportedly moving away from the blitz-happy approach of the late Jim Johnson in favor of more zone-based coverage. Given Asomugha's reputation as a man-to-man defender, it doesn’t make sense to join a team that will not play to his strengths.

--------
Ike Taylor, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
Taylor isn't regarded as a shutdown corner in most circles, but he is effective in a zone-based system. With the Eagles transitioning into a two-deep scheme, Taylor would be a nice complement to Asante Samuel. Although his advanced age (31) is an issue, he is a much cheaper option than Nnamdi Asomugha and a better fit in their new scheme.

Bad Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans need a No. 1 cornerback to anchor their defense. While Taylor is good, he's not capable of shutting down one side of the field or engaging in isolated match-ups on a down-by-down basis. If the Texans break the bank for Taylor, they will soon find out he is a poor fit for their needs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...lmes-other-free-agents?module=HP11_hot_topics

Nnamdi Asomugha, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans are in desperate need of a shutdown corner. Asomugha's suffocating bump-and-run skills are ideally suited for Wade Phillips’ aggressive system. If the Texans are willing to cough up the capital to bring him into the fold, this will be the marquee signing of free agency.

Bad Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
The thought of Asomugha teaming up with Asante Samuel is certainly intriguing, but it is not sensible from a philosophical or schematic standpoint. The Eagles traditionally give out big deals to young players approaching their primes, and Asomugha's age (30) makes it very likely he is on the backside of his career. Also, the Eagles are reportedly moving away from the blitz-happy approach of the late Jim Johnson in favor of more zone-based coverage. Given Asomugha's reputation as a man-to-man defender, it doesn’t make sense to join a team that will not play to his strengths.

--------
Ike Taylor, cornerback
Ideal Fit: Philadelphia Eagles
Taylor isn't regarded as a shutdown corner in most circles, but he is effective in a zone-based system. With the Eagles transitioning into a two-deep scheme, Taylor would be a nice complement to Asante Samuel. Although his advanced age (31) is an issue, he is a much cheaper option than Nnamdi Asomugha and a better fit in their new scheme.

Bad Fit: Houston Texans
The Texans need a No. 1 cornerback to anchor their defense. While Taylor is good, he's not capable of shutting down one side of the field or engaging in isolated match-ups on a down-by-down basis. If the Texans break the bank for Taylor, they will soon find out he is a poor fit for their needs.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...lmes-other-free-agents?module=HP11_hot_topics

Couldn't have said it better myself. Make Aso an offer he can't refuse. We can use him as a player and a mentor to our young db's. I think we have a nice stable of young db's that need an outstanding veteran to show them the ropes and augment the coaching (which will hopefully be much better than in years past) they receive.

Not sure this is the right thread, but multiple sources are saying that cap number isn't $120 Million but $140 Million.
This is where I have itr pegged + $3m for a vet (cash benefit) + option to borrow $3m. This is what Lance Zerline was refering to imo.

I Like "J-Mac"s Position On This one: Too Much Worrying Over Nothing... If the Raiders aren’t active players in free agency, it won’t be because of the salary cap…..It won’t stop the flood of "Raiders in trouble against the cap" stories, despite historical evidence to the contrary.

Does anyone remember before the the uncapped season how the Raiders would routinely have these huge overages against the salary cap _ as high as $40 or $50 million _ and then magically be under the cap and still be players in the free agent market?

It happened almost every year. Raiders cap strapped. Raiders make splash in free agency.

It made sense, because they routinely entered the free agent market by playing the salary cap the way people refinance their homes. They simply extended contracts to their top players, cut their salaries to the minimum and spread bonus money out over the life of the deal to lessen the cap hit.

Brown did it almost every season. There’s a certain amount of dead money created, but it isn’t difficult to keep playing the cap game and pushing debt into the next season without ever really being accountable or losing a chance to sign someone.

there are over 20 million dollars in benefits in addition to the cap. That's where you get the $140~ mil

there are over 20 million dollars in benefits in addition to the cap. That's where you get the $140~ mil
True but not where I think it will be. Too many teams are over cap & while they want reduced costs, what NFL owner can control himself?

Here is something I just saw on Taylor

Ike Taylor, cornerback

Here's a case of a solid player thriving in a system that suits his skills. Taylor is not a lockdown corner with the ability to excel in any scheme. He struggles when forced to consistently play man coverage, and is incapable of snuffing out an opponent's No.1 receiver in one-on-one matchups.

Taylor has been effective in the Steelers' zone-blitz system, but his lack of ball skills (11 career interceptions) and awareness will show up if he leaves the confines the scheme. Considering he's also 31 and likely past his prime, teams would be wise to avoid making a major financial commitment to Taylor.

Damn.

I had no idea we were that high on the cap list.

No Aso for sure, although I never thought he'd play in Houston.

Glad they're passing on Cromartie ... Joseph is the key, but I bet he gets overpaid elsewhere.

Looks like safety will be better target.

Texans are a little jammed up. :wadepalm:

Damn.

I had no idea we were that high on the cap list.

No Aso for sure, although I never thought he'd play in Houston.

Glad they're passing on Cromartie ... Joseph is the key, but I bet he gets overpaid elsewhere.

Texans are a little jammed up. :wadepalm:

No one knows anything about the money for sure.

Just read that the cap is $142.4 million in 2011...which is way over what McClain was stating of 120 mill.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/SPORT/07/25/nfl.deal/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Some people are saying it's 120 million and then 20 million of various modifiers.

McNair said $142 million and so did NFLN.

But I'm unsure which it is. And I don't really care. One way or another, we've got to be aggressive in FA. If that means we need to cut some guys, I just hope we don't cut someone we need.

Well Dallas at 136.6 Mil has been talked about by Gil Brandt and others on Sirius as a likely landing spot for Aso. We're 16 mil below that so there's no reason we couldn't get him if we wanted to. None.

Ravens cut Todd Heap & Derrick Mason along with Will McGahee ..... making room for Aso???

Holy crap!!! That's 3 of their impact players with exception to Mcgahee. But when he runs with the ball he can still be effective. I knew that he would be cut due to his salary, but Mason is still effective for them for a #2 guy.

They must be going after Aso. They need a CB pretty bad and Flacco is pretty good now to carry an offense with sub par talent if their defense is good enough.

Doesn't look like we are getting aso but I'm still holding out hope.

Just heard bob McNair basically talking about getting the most value for his money.

Sounded like he was on the "improve a bit in a lot of places" vs making a tremendous investment in one area.

I read on Lance Z's twitter that Rashard Butler will not be re-signed by the Texans. I would like to see Kelly Gregg play NT for us.

:fingergun:Count Ike Taylor out of this one...

http://http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/6806755/ike-taylor-agrees-four-year-deal-pittsburgh-steelers-source-says?campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines[/URL]

talk around the net saying that the lions and seahawks are battling it out for Joseph.

I bet the texans Mr X is going to be Aso OR Marshall AND Rogers

Back