Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

All CBs not named Nnamdi Thread - Free Agency & Texans

I think we might have to re-examine this issue, who will the Texans actually wind up with may not be mentioned in title of this thread. Heavy manipulation still applies to a retro salary cap, teams who always seem to be factors find a loophole or way around issues that cause Texans to pause, then its too late.

I also feel that Wade Phillips opinion of players in free agency just like the draft will play a huge role. He was defensive coordinator in San Diego when the Chargers drafted Antonio Cromartie, who is a FA with Jets & if they sign Asomugha instead he might just be odd man out. To fill safety spot Wade could bring in Cowboy FA Gerald Sensabaugh. Both former players to fill positions of need w/experience in his 3-4 scheme.

I think we might have to re-examine this issue, who will the Texans actually wind up with may not be mentioned in title of this thread. Heavy manipulation still applies to a retro salary cap, teams who always seem to be factors find a loophole or way around issues that cause Texans to pause, then its too late.

I also feel that Wade Phillips opinion of players in free agency just like the draft will play a huge role. He was defensive coordinator in San Diego when the Chargers drafted Antonio Cromartie, who is a FA with Jets & if they sign Asomugha instead he might just be odd man out. To fill safety spot Wade could bring in Cowboy FA Gerald Sensabaugh. Both former players to fill positions of need w/experience in his 3-4 scheme.

They wouldn't be Aso but it's better than what we have.

None of the above.

We have faith in our goup of secondary. The "kids" will get it done.

:gun:

Kubiak made that statement because he had no other choice ..... What did you expect him to say ?.....

"My GM ****ed me over and left me with a bunch of kids who couldnt cover a baby with a blanket on the back end , if you are looking for someone to blame he's your man."

No , you expect him to say exactly what he did ..... Otherwise , the confidence of those players is shot .... not to mention their giving it 100% for a coach who would throw them under the bus.

Doesn't look like we are getting aso but I'm still holding out hope.

Just heard bob McNair basically talking about getting the most value for his money.

Sounded like he was on the "improve a bit in a lot of places" vs making a tremendous investment in one area.

McNair says value and the fans hear CHEAP. Sounds like more of the usual from the Texans, go with the young guys we've already got. This should have gotten Kubiak fired last year.

None of the above.

We have faith in our goup of secondary. The "kids" will get it done.

:gun:

Well, its not like they could be any worse! They have nowhere to go but up!

Wow, I bet if I could say that with a straight face, I could get a job on Kubiak's staff!

Well, its not like they could be any worse! They have nowhere to go but up!

Wow, I bet if I could say that with a straight face, I could get a job on Kubiak's staff!

If we go even just a little up we can win a couple more games this season and be 8-8.:hurrah::hurrah::hurrah:

C'mon if Texans can keep the offense in tact, then add all these new weapons to the defense with a proven DC it's going to be better, one heck of a lot better :koolaid:

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Hearing rumblings the Raiders could be suitors for Antonio Cromartie. Corner market is very interesting

JasonLaCanfora Jason La Canfora
Hearing rumblings the Raiders could be suitors for Antonio Cromartie. Corner market is very interesting

We really need to decide what we are going to do. If we keep waiting on Aso to make up his mind-noone will be left so all we'll have is the same 'ole same 'ole from last year.

We really need to decide what we are going to do. If we keep waiting on Aso to make up his mind-noone will be left so all we'll have is the same 'ole same 'ole from last year.

I agree, seeing the Josh Wilson deal, he's a guy who would be an upgrade, not a huge upgrade but an upgrade none-the-less, and at a price that isn't going to hurt too much.

Add to that the fact that these are all handshakes and patted backs right now with nothing down on paper, surely they need to come to an agreement with somebody!?

One question, so we *might* have seen players such as Leinhart come to an agreement with a team and then seemingly walk away and sign to another, I take it the club can do the same if they wanted? Not that the Texans would be so underhanded as to do that.

clements is garbage, there is a reason SF let him go. he's a meh tackler for a CB, and that's it.

give me JJ!

He is a solid CB, but he is not worth 17 mil a year, which is what he would have gotten this year. That's why SF cut him.

but yet they're willing to probably pay nnamdi the same a year, so it's not about the money.

he was asked to move to safety 2 years ago because of deteriorating cover skills and he just lol'd all over their FO. he's not what we need.

but yet they're willing to probably pay nnamdi the same a year, so it's not about the money.

he was asked to move to safety 2 years ago because of deteriorating cover skills and he just lol'd all over their FO. he's not what we need.

Nmandi is worth 15-16 per year.

Clements is worth Josh Wilson money.

So our choices are Nnamdi or any some combination of Cromartie/Joseph/Clements/Rogers?

Reminds me of what my dad used to say....

Son, why are you trying to get a "10?" You should be trying to get two "5's."

Zepp1978Mike Kerns

@

@LanceZierlein That's what I figured. Think they'll be ready to throw that money at JJ if Nnamdi declines?

2 minutes ago

in reply to ↑

@LanceZierleinLance Zierlein

@Zepp1978 yes

3 minutes agovia TweetDeck

Better hurry. Clayton reporting Joseph decision comiing tonight.

Because the Bengals have been known for their great pass D??? I'll pull for Joseph IF Aso signs elsewhere and not a moment sooner.

I'm just not counting on us getting Aso. The guy seems to be pulling a Chris Bosh. Seems like the type that may not want to be THE guy and really wants to play alongside another #1 CB. I hope I'm wrong though.

I'm just not counting on us getting Aso. The guy seems to be pulling a Chris Bosh. Seems like the type that may not want to be THE guy and really wants to play alongside another #1 CB. I hope I'm wrong though.
That's an interesting opinion. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion considering he's been THE guy and, at worst, best CB 1a in the NFL for a few years. I seriously doubt confidence is an issue with Aso. Besides, playing for Oakland is, in and of itself, an "in the spotlight" proposition. Al Davis' team will always befront page news.

That's an interesting opinion. I don't understand how you came to that conclusion considering he's been THE guy and, at worst, best CB 1a in the NFL for a few years. I seriously doubt confidence is an issue with Aso. Besides, playing for Oakland is, in and of itself, an "in the spotlight" proposition. Al Davis' team will always befront page news.

Oakland hasn't mattered since the days of Rich Gannon. If anything, people have gone to Oakland to hide the past few years.

I disagree. The only time the Raiders are in the news is when there is a negative light on them, where Nnamdi is never involved.

I guess I don't really know why I get that idea. I just get a Chris Bosh vibe from him. I can't say I've ever really heard him talk much, so it isn't based on anything he has said. But like Bosh, he is coming from a crap team where he was basically the only player worth a damn and in the few comments he has made, he seems to REALLY like the idea of playing tag team along with another #1 CB like Bosh did.

But really it is just a feeling. Nothing factual to really base it on.

I'm very high on Grimes but I have seen him referred to as a RFA so not so sure what kind of compensation would be required.

Yeah I didn't realize he was available. If he is, I would LOVE to get Brent Grimes. He was IMO the reason why Dunta looked like such a good DB this year.

I'm very high on Grimes but I have seen him referred to as a RFA so not so sure what kind of compensation would be required.

They tendered him before the lockout. He has over 4 years of NFL service, so he is an UFA. Atlanta has no rights to him.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure. He was signed as an UDFA in 2006 and played in NFL Europe. He was on the practice squad in 2007 but played 2 games for the Falcons that year. He played essentially full seasons the last three years. I've seen him listed as RFA and UDFA. So, I'm not sure how the league deals with his first two years. He may be a RFA- I'm not sure at this point.

Yeah I didn't realize he was available. If he is, I would LOVE to get Brent Grimes. He was IMO the reason why Dunta looked like such a good DB this year.
Dunte was burned badly in so many games last year.

They tendered him before the lockout. He has over 4 years of NFL service, so he is an UFA. Atlanta has no rights to him.

Awesome!!! Well, I am feeling much better then.

Right now, I'd be thrilled if we got Nnamdi or a combination of Cromartie/Joseph/Grimes and a safety.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure. He was signed as an UDFA in 2006 and played in NFL Europe. He was on the practice squad in 2007 but played 2 games for the Falcons that year. He played essentially full seasons the last three years. I've seen him listed as RFA and UDFA. So, I'm not sure how the league deals with his first two years. He may be a RFA- I'm not sure at this point.

Damn you!! :)

Dunte was burned badly in so many games last year.

Yup and would have looked much worse without Grimes.

ClaytonESPN John Clayton
Looks like the Johnathan Joseph decision is going overtime. Not going to happen tonite. Stay tuned

Were you watching the NFL Falcons? Dunta looked just as bad in Atlanta as he did in Houston. They just had better ways to compensate.

Back