Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

After all the trades, the Texans aren't realistic contenders

The rookies should improve and they are talented. Do you think the rookies aren't talented? The Colts were in this same position going into last season, 2 rookie OL starters and things worked out quite well for them after week 6. I expect Devlin to be able to get the same level of play out of the Texans new OL after week 6.

Yeah, but now they'll have to pay a ton of money to Tunsil when they could have waited one more season and drafted another LT. ITs their fault they screwed up the draft and let Dilliard go before them. You don't screw up your entire future for maybe 5 plus years just because of one failed draft. Yeah, it sucks that the protection would suck again probably this year, but it still likely isn't great.

You don't pay that kind of draft pick investment for anything other than a franchise QB. What other Olineman has ever been traded for that kind of compensation? They could have used next year's first and had a ton of young Olineman on low contracts. Now whatever holes pop up on the defense or somewhere else on offense, we won't have draft picks to properly address them with.

Agreed, Gaine screwed up by not going out and getting Dillard.

Disagree about whether the protection will be better next yr. Also this is the price they have to pay for neglect. Is it painful yes, but it can be overcome.

Go checkout what Bum gave up for Leon Gray.

Yeah, but now they'll have to pay a ton of money to Tunsil when they could have waited one more season and drafted another LT. ITs their fault they screwed up the draft and let Dilliard go before them. You don't screw up your entire future for maybe 5 plus years just because of one failed draft. Yeah, it sucks that the protection would suck again probably this year, but it still likely isn't great.

You don't pay that kind of draft pick investment for anything other than a franchise QB. What other Olineman has ever been traded for that kind of compensation? They could have used next year's first and had a ton of young Olineman on low contracts. Now whatever holes pop up on the defense or somewhere else on offense, we won't have draft picks to properly address them with.
Tunsil is young and proven. With a late first round pick you only are guaranteed the young part. Then there is that little time thing to get experience. And what if you whiff. By then DW will be starting on a new contract which may be easier to negotiate if he’s happy here. personally going through a year like last year just would suck so bad. Lol, now you are sounding like good old Bob McNair. Cal going to take some getting used to.

Tunsil is young and proven. With a late first round pick you only are guaranteed the young part. Then there is that little time thing to get experience. And what if you whiff. By then DW will be starting on a new contract which may be easier to negotiate if he’s happy here. personally going through a year like last year just would suck so bad. Lol, now you are sounding like good old Bob McNair. Cal going to take some getting used to.

Mainly idiots miss on first round Olineman. You really have to be a crap draft person to miss on that if you're paying close attention. They picked a project player and everyone saw that.

I can't wait to hear guys like you in the next two drafts when the Texans are dying for new guys to fill other roster spots where they are weak and they likely have a new HC who is trying to build a new team with no picks.

Watson will want a huge contract. You're crazy if you think he won't. NO ONE pays this kind of compensation for anything other than a franchise QB.

Agreed, Gaine screwed up by not going out and getting Dillard.

Disagree about whether the protection will be better next yr. Also this is the price they have to pay for neglect. Is it painful yes, but it can be overcome.

Go checkout what Bum gave up for Leon Gray.

It is not the price they had to pay for neglect. Tunsil isn't the only Olineman out there. He is one guy that the Dolphins had a very unrealistic price tag for, and somehow we were the dumbest organization on the planet to do this. The Pats just grabbed three Olineman just this week for debt and rotation. That's how they got Brown last season. There was no need to panic "for this season" Did you or do you really see the Texans having a high chance of winning a SB with the Pats, Chiefs, and the Chargers looking this good? I don't. There was no need to get Tunsil if they had to mortgage that much of their future.

How is OB going to coach well when he hasn't evolved much since year one and he still has the same problems? Now he has more duties in the front office to maintain which isn't helpful for a guy that still struggles with clock management, game plans, and the entire offense. There is a good chance he gets fired after this season. How is a new HC going to have a chance later on without any picks? And if OB stays, we're doomed any way.

Mainly idiots miss on first round Olineman. You really have to be a crap draft person to miss on that if you're paying close attention. They picked a project player and everyone saw that.

I can't wait to hear guys like you in the next two drafts when the Texans are dying for new guys to fill other roster spots where they are weak and they likely have a new HC who is trying to build a new team with no picks.

Watson will want a huge contract. You're crazy if you think he won't. NO ONE pays this kind of compensation for anything other than a franchise QB.
DW will get a huge contract but it’s not paid in draft picks.

It is not the price they had to pay for neglect. Tunsil isn't the only Olineman out there. He is one guy that the Dolphins had a very unrealistic price tag for, and somehow we were the dumbest organization on the planet to do this. The Pats just grabbed three Olineman just this week for debt and rotation. That's how they got Brown last season. There was no need to panic "for this season" Did you or do you really see the Texans having a high chance of winning a SB with the Pats, Chiefs, and the Chargers looking this good? I don't. There was no need to get Tunsil if they had to mortgage that much of their future.

How is OB going to coach well when he hasn't evolved much since year one and he still has the same problems? Now he has more duties in the front office to maintain which isn't helpful for a guy that still struggles with clock management, game plans, and the entire offense. There is a good chance he gets fired after this season. How is a new HC going to have a chance later on without any picks? And if OB stays, we're doomed any way.

You want a stop gap.

I along with BOB wanted a solution. They got a solution and I'm happy about this.

I look at Tunsil as their 2020 1st Rd pick.

You want a stop gap.

I along with BOB wanted a solution. They got a solution and I'm happy about this.

I look at Tunsil as their 2020 1st Rd pick.

No I wanted a God Damn solution! (The anger isn't aimed at you bud)

They didn't get one though. We can't change that now. So instead, Bob hit the PANIC button, because he knows that he's on the HOT SEAT and that the National Media is really trashing the Texans lately since their GM fiasco blew up in their faces. Why would we let OB still screw up this franchise after this last draft? You can't put all of that on Gaine because he's gone now. OB wanted Gaine here, and he had a huge impact on the both drafts. OB is now doing everything possible to throw a Hail Marry "to save his job" at the cost of all of these future seasons where we will have cap to manage, and with these last few draft picks on the Oline, he already had some new pieces to develop. They just needed the tackle. You don't know that lower level guys you bring in are all going to be stop gaps. Maybe someone does well like Brown did for NE. Maybe not, but there was no reason to make "this one season" so important over every other season for the future "unless you're OB and you are desperate and in panic mode to keep your job after so many shitty picks and decisions." OB's latest trades were more for his assurance in the short term, not the overall health of the franchise for the short and the long term.

No I wanted a God Damn solution! (The anger isn't aimed at you bud)

They didn't get one though. We can't change that now. So instead, Bob hit the PANIC button, because he knows that he's on the HOT SEAT and that the National Media is really trashing the Texans lately since their GM fiasco blew up in their faces. Why would we let OB still screw up this franchise after this last draft? You can't put all of that on Gaine because he's gone now. OB wanted Gaine here, and he had a huge impact on the both drafts. OB is now doing everything possible to throw a Hail Marry "to save his job" at the cost of all of these future seasons where we will have cap to manage, and with these last few draft picks on the Oline, he already had some new pieces to develop. They just needed the tackle. You don't know that lower level guys you bring in are all going to be stop gaps. Maybe someone does well like Brown did for NE. Maybe not, but there was no reason to make "this one season" so important over every other season for the future "unless you're OB and you are desperate and in panic mode to keep your job after so many shitty picks and decisions." OB's latest trades were more for his assurance in the short term, not the overall health of the franchise for the short and the long term.

I do think Tunsil is the long-term answer.

If you look at this as Tunsil is the 2020 1st Rd pick, then BOB gave up a 1st/2nd and got back a 4/6th.

Not too bad of a price to pay for a franchise LT. With that said, I wish they would have traded up for Dillard and not have to do all of this. But it is what it is.

I do think Tunsil is the long-term answer.

If you look at this as Tunsil is the 2020 1st Rd pick, then BOB gave up a 1st/2nd and got back a 4/6th.

Not too bad of a price to pay for a franchise LT. With that said, I wish they would have traded up for Dillard and not have to do all of this. But it is what it is.

He's also a 2021 first and second.

And he's not under cheap team control for five years.

And the Texans are likely to make him the top paid LT when he isnt that

To get a Tunsil like player, and if we pick in the 20's, you would need your 2020 and 2021 1st rounder to move up to take the best tackle next year, so indeed he is two 1's. Good news is he is proven to be a good OT and ascending versus a draft pick needing time to learn and maybe flopping out )or being great). Other good news is you get IMMEDIATE protection for DW4. Waiting another year may give him unbreakable habits.

Bad news, I agree this is more $$, but we do have a war chest of cap $$ from trying to get Romo all those years ago and then being cheap.

That means Stills looks like the rd2, pretty steep for a good player but not a rd2 guy, clear overpay.

So I see both sides and we could have tried a cheaper option like Dillard, but he might need time to develop too, so save DW4, ensure he stays and re-signs,... We were mismanaged to a point this may actually be one of the better options to dig out of Kalil or a small school rook protecting DW4.

Feels like Cal said, heh, we ready for that Super Bowl run now BOB, and our Shiny toy DW is going to be kept safe right??
Well boss, we could maybe use a left tackle, some receiver help for the glass cheetahs we have, and I am tired of Clowney questions from media.
Cal, well why aren't you doing what you need to do before I fire your ass too

BOB probably forgot to mention game management and play calling as a blocker, so hopefully Kelly calls plays now

True,

The point is I believe in getting the best players possible to protect Watson. If that takes using 1st/2nd rd pcks to protect him, so be it. Because without Watson you have nothing.

We've seen what great players like Watt/AJ/Foster can do, but without great QB play their contributions aren't going to bring a championship to this city.
The problem is that BO'b could have made these trades earlier in the season and most likely they would not have cost us much as they have. I think it was well known long ago that the team was not going to pony up the dough Clowney sought so he should have been traded much sooner and we would've gotten actual value for him. The Dolphins made out like bandits because we were desperate and caught behind the eight ball. The trades were necessary but we did not end up with fair trades.

The Dolphins made out like bandits because we were desperate and caught behind the eight ball.

Yes & no. Timing didn't really matter on the Tunsil trade. Tunsil wasn't available until BO'b realized Kalil can't play. He was desperate because he knew his plan to start Kalil while developing Howard was flawed. He approached Miami for Tunsil.

BO'bs seat is probably a lot hotter than we thought it was for him not to close his eyes & hope for the best like he's done the last 5 seasons.

They are still around a 2% chance to win the super bowl.

And without first round picks and big extensions to sign soon (Watson, tunsil) there is no path to get better for the next 3 years.

Enjoy!
If your not a Texan fan why are you trolling this board so hard. Go to a board of a team you support.

I think they'll get blown out many games and next two years they'll steadily get worse.

I mean they're already seven point dogs to the saints
They will be very good this year. The offense will take two steps forward and the defense one step back. The Saints we are 7 point dogs to were very good last year.13-3 one play away from the Super Bowl. The Texans will be a force if Watson gets some time.

They will be very good this year. The offense will take two steps forward and the defense one step back. The Saints we are 7 point dogs to were very good last year.13-3 one play away from the Super Bowl. The Texans will be a force if Watson gets some time.

So we'll be very good but can't compete with very good teams like the saints?

The problem is that BO'b could have made these trades earlier in the season and most likely they would not have cost us much as they have. I think it was well known long ago that the team was not going to pony up the dough Clowney sought so he should have been traded much sooner and we would've gotten actual value for him. The Dolphins made out like bandits because we were desperate and caught behind the eight ball. The trades were necessary but we did not end up with fair trades.

They should have traded Clowney earlier.

The got Tunsil when they could.

If you consider Tunsil to the 2020 already trained up 1st Rd pick. Then a 2021 1st/2nd for a 4-6th while alot isn't unreasonable for a 25 yr old LT.

I’m indifferent about the trades because I still don’t trust Bob’s play calling and clock management.

Because we don't have a 1st or 2nd round pick in the 2021 draft to screw up?

Just two years ago we didn't have a 1st or 2nd round pick & we win the division the following year.

From 2018-2021 they have one first round pick, and that was Tytus who was a second round talent.

If you're a Texan fan how can you be happy it's being destroyed in front of your eyes?

If you want to drink koolaid like a 10 year old go read John Harris.

What's being destroyed?

17 years of mediocrity. The Texans org is doing something different for the 1st time since their inception and I can say it's about time.

From 2018-2021 they have one first round pick, and that was Tytus who was a second round talent.

Is there plenty of young talent on this team? If they suck it will be because of injury and the secondary. They really need for Roby to come through for them and Johnson to grow up during the season. The sooner the better

Is there plenty of young talent on this team? If they suck it will be because of injury and the secondary. They really need for Roby to come through for them and Johnson to grow up during the season. The sooner the better

There's enough talent so that they are about as good as the Jaguars.

They had already discovered their LT in Johnson. That's why the whole trade scheme established a heretofore unknown level of gutless absurdity.
There's still a way out! Have a couple of guys fail their physicals, cancelling both franchise-destroying trades. Then fire Billy Goat, the same way Gaine got his for bad management.

They'll have no choice but to make him the highest paid LT of all time and then some. He owns all the leverage since they gave the Phins a decade's worth of draft picks

They'll have no choice but to make him the highest paid LT of all time and then some. He owns all the leverage since they gave the Phins a decade's worth of draft picks

I wonder if he's reading all this crap on the internet and thinking I'm not playing in this dumpster fire unless I am the highest paid player in the entire league.

I hope history looks back on this trade differently than the Hershel Walker trade. We gave up A LOT for one guy who is one snap away.

Without reading the entirety of this thread, which was started on top of the other numerous near identical threads for no other reason than the "I started a new thread" factor, I'll offer this...

If we assume OB1 is the pseudo acting GM and these are his decisions we may need to get used to the idea (and it may work) that his way of filling a roster doesn't necessarily mean you have to draft top picks. Instead of said high picks that may or may not work out.. we'll gift our drafts on an already vetted player.

Now.. I'm not a fan just yet but 'what if' this is the way of the future?

If teams are willing to ship studs for future unknown and unproven stock (draft picks) who's to say if this new thought process isn't an ideal endeavor?

I'm not a numbers guy but I'm sure someone can run down the makes or breaks from going by picks alone.
Why gamble?
If other teams want to trade a proven commodity on a chance... Let them.

Once again ... Not sure if that's what's happening but if so.. llet it play out for a year or two and perhaps it'll pan out.

What 'more' do we have to lose?
At this point.. we don't have much more to offer anyway.

This is a bust a nut mentality and as a man... I think we can all agree that when you're looking to bust.. you're not thinking clearly about anything except tap dead center.

Of course, I've been drinking so who knows what I'm saying.?.

Last edited:
There’s plenty of places of hide when you’re in with OB. Accountability isn’t something this franchise has done well historically.

True, I hope this also changes.

It appears they've changed the way they're going about acquiring players. So that's a big positive.

Yes & no. Timing didn't really matter on the Tunsil trade. Tunsil wasn't available until BO'b realized Kalil can't play. He was desperate because he knew his plan to start Kalil while developing Howard was flawed. He approached Miami for Tunsil.

BO'bs seat is probably a lot hotter than we thought it was for him not to close his eyes & hope for the best like he's done the last 5 seasons.
Miami knew we were desperate but waiting till we did proved it. I suppose no matter what the Dolphins would not have agreed to the trade if it were any other way than it went down.

OK so ive been taking shots at the frankly ridiculous activity of this offseason and poking fun all over the place.

However, i think about the roster right now, and i think they did OK with it. They put some protection in front of DW4 (and not only do we need it to keep him healthy, we also need him to have an interest in signing back with us in 2 years time, so gotta do right by him on the roster as well as financially.) They revamped an aging secondary that had been worked out late last year, they tried to find cover for the oft-injured receiving corps.

They have mortgaged the future and got seemingly little return on Clowney (although they did have an odd man out on the edge so the impact to the team shouldnt be as big as the ability of the player).

I have grave concerns about the future depth of this team due to the now prolonged lack of top draft picks, but i do think they have got better on the field right now.

Still expecting OB to **** the bed in the first or second round of the playoffs after a streaky regular season where at some point you begin to believe they are a contender, but i'll give them their due for doing something.

Keep Watson healthy & we're contenders.

I have to disagree wit that statement …. Against the majority of the league , you might be correct but when it comes to the best teams - particularly NE and KC - Those teams are just as talented and better coached.

I don't expect this team to beat NE / KC / NO / ATL not because they aren't as talented but because they are better coached (KC is both more talented and better coached).

They finally did what they needed to do to be successful. Now BOB/Devlin are on the clock and I expect great improvement in the offense. I also think while improved this yr, 2020 is the yr it should really all come together. If it doesn't you move on.

BTW, I've never been on the BOB express, I just knew it would take 2-3 yrs to clean up the mess RS left behind. They're ahead of schedule. IMHO

So you don't mind the fact that they didn't negotiate an extension with Tunsil as part of the deal when it took all that draft capital to get him ?

They exposed themselves to a huge and unnecessary risk there.

They could have just got Williams for a #1 and called it a day.

So you don't mind the fact that they didn't negotiate an extension with Tunsil as part of the deal when it took all that draft capital to get him ?

They exposed themselves to a huge and unnecessary risk there.

They could have just got Williams for a #1 and called it a day.
He’s locked up for two years. What’s the risk? They will sign him long term next off season when we have a legit GM who can work through it.

Back