Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2nd round DJ Swearinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly. I really wish people would understand that choices made last year have no bearing on choices this year. This coach is still tweaking this roster; if he has an idea that he could do better at tight end, Graham is gone. Simple as that.

Not specific to you, but how about we wait and see what OB will and won't do? This is the 2nd offseason of his 1st HC gig and some folks are acting like they know his longstanding pattern and practice like he is Parcells coming into his 5th HCing job.

It's quite telling that Rick wasn't able to trade DJ.

Yeah, it tells me that people were not willing to give up an asset for DJ and were willing to take their chance on the waiver wire.

Considering the "making chicken salad out of chick sh!t" trades that Rick has pulled off in the last year, your insinuation holds no merit.

Yeah, it tells me that people were not willing to give up an asset for DJ and were willing to take their chance on the waiver wire.

Considering the "making chicken salad out of chick sh!t" trades that Rick has pulled off in the last year, your insinuation holds no merit.

I wasn't making insinuations about Rick.

I was just pointing out how little teams around the NFL value DJ. Especially with there being so many teams that need depth at safety.

Not specific to you, but how about we wait and see what OB will and won't do? This is the 2nd offseason of his 1st HC gig and some folks are acting like they know his longstanding pattern and practice like he is Parcells coming into his 5th HCing job.

That's a fair point. I wasn't definitively saying what Bill will or won't do; I was trying to counter the notion that the roster is set in stone. Saying that Graham is safe because he was signed last year is pure fallacy. The truth is, we don't know.

I wasn't making insinuations about Rick.

I was just pointing out how little teams around the NFL value DJ. Especially with there being so many teams that need depth at safety.

But once teams found out the Texans were going to release him anyway, they just waited.

The Bucs scooped him up right away. So the theory of how little they felt about his value pretty much goes out the window.

But once teams found out the Texans were going to release him anyway, they just waited.

The Bucs scooped him up right away. So the theory of how little they felt about his value pretty much goes out the window.

If there was value beyond that wouldn't someone have acted to avoid said scooping?

If there was value beyond that wouldn't someone have acted to avoid said scooping?

Yeah, I thought about that after I posted it, but also, nobody would have "scooped" him up to begin with.

If you're up after 2 AM and not doing a job, I'm immediately suspicious of the activity. If you get up at 2 AM to start your day, that's another matter entirely.

Could you guess I'm a MORNING person?

I'm awake at around 2 am nearly every day; usually just watching TV or researching stuff on the interwebs.
Besides, there's nothing being done at 2 am that cannot be done at 2 pm.

Good Lord you're out of touch. These days it is very common for younger people to stay up at all hours playing video games. Very common.
The fact that this incident happened at that hour is almost completely irrelevant. Despite whatever conclusion you've jumped to, there is nothing inherently wrong with being awake at a friend's house at that time of day.
Any nefarious scenario running through your head is one that was created there, in your head. There is no evidence to support any of your conjecture.

I don't respect those who do this. It's as simple as that. Perhaps it is common, but it doesn't make it wise. Children are notorious for making poor choices including not getting enough sleep at night.

That's a fair point. I wasn't definitively saying what Bill will or won't do; I was trying to counter the notion that the roster is set in stone. Saying that Graham is safe because he was signed last year is pure fallacy. The truth is, we don't know.

He said himself last year is LAST YEAR and you have to earn your spot every year. He then pointed to JJ as the model he wants.

I don't respect those who do this. It's as simple as that. Perhaps it is common, but it doesn't make it wise. Children are notorious for making poor choices including not getting enough sleep at night.

You remind me of a Southern Baptist deacon on Sunday mornings

3 penalties on the day - 2 back to back. On 3rd and 1 taunting after an incomplete pass. Then on 1st and 10 on the next play, defensive holding negating an Eddie Pleasant INT. Jax added a FG going into the half 17 to 7. Then in the 3rd a face mask with the next play being a TD pass to go up 24 to 10.

Man, that game was painful to watch.

My bad. Apologies.

No apologies needed.

I understand that people think all of my posts are negative towards the Texans org. Sometimes they are not negative. In this case I think the Texans brass did the right thing cutting ties with DJ. The Texans are trying their best to build a new culture that is badly needed over on Kirby.

DJ and his since of entitlement will now be playing in Tampa. Hopefully this hits home for him and he will grow up and become the player he can become. (Solid starter)

Thank you. But a good deacon is the same all week long. Unfortunately, I am not qualified for such a lofty position of service.

It wasn't a compliment based on my experiences with deacons

Somewhere in between is probably the truth, which to me sounds like a lack of maturity and understanding of consequences. I doubt this came about without any attempts to help him grow/coach him up... not a surprise. I have to admit I kinda enjoyed having him as a blow-up artist and LOL'd at his schtick... but I only had to deal with him on Sundays.

DJ is 23 and now has received a dose of reality that hopefully pushes him to alter his trajectory on and maybe off the field. I'm pulling for him to succeed and become one of the only plus players out of a very disappointing Safety draft class.

What does that mean? Which/who upstairs?

When I listened again he was just throwing it out as a suggestion. But even he says that there had to be some things happening behind the scenes that he doesn't even know about. He pretty much debunked the special teams stuff though. Said he's not buying that.

Reportedly...NY Jets put in a claim as well.

3 penalties on the day - 2 back to back. On 3rd and 1 taunting after an incomplete pass. Then on 1st and 10 on the next play, defensive holding negating an Eddie Pleasant INT. Jax added a FG going into the half 17 to 7. Then in the 3rd a face mask with the next play being a TD pass to go up 24 to 10.

Thanks.

Wow, 3 penalties in one game. I guess his 2 penalties for the 2014 season was a marked improvement.

Reportedly...NY Jets put in a claim as well.
NFLTradeRumors.co ‏@nfltrade_rumors · 4m4 minutes ago
Bucs, Jaguars, Raiders, Jets, Falcons, Bills, Steelers, & Ravens Placed Waiver Claims For D.J.... http://bit.ly/1A0ureQ
#NFL

Weird that if all these teams had interest we couldn't get anything in trade.

Weird that if all these teams had interest we couldn't get anything in trade.

All were willing to take a flyer, but not spend a draft pick or player. So his value is that of a UFA camp fodder pickup. Not bad, but not a certainty to help either.

There are an almost infinite number of reasons that people might be awake at two or three in the morning, yet all you can think of are the negative ones.

Don't respect someone who happens to be awake at a particular time of day?
Its crazy to me that you would venture to judge someone on that small fact. To me it says more about your character than it does theirs.
Judge not, as they say, especially when the simple fact that someone was awake at a certain time is your only basis for judgement.

There is an incredible amount of speculation in this thread. Even for this board.
And this is coming from someone who has no particular strong feelings for Swearinger in either direction.

Every word you just typed is complete speculation.

NFLTradeRumors.co ‏@nfltrade_rumors · 4m4 minutes ago
Bucs, Jaguars, Raiders, Jets, Falcons, Bills, Steelers, & Ravens Placed Waiver Claims For D.J.... http://bit.ly/1A0ureQ #NFL
Perhaps, but it doesn't look all that good for Rick that no less than 8 teams put in waiver requests for DJ, but Rick couldn't get a cup of coffee for him.

Do you always operate in hyperboles?

Dude quotes a lot of Scripture and has a general positive/excited vibe to his post patterns. His feeds aren't littered with guns and hoes and dog fights. That doesn't make him Mother F'ing Theresa, but he also isn't going to wind up on a blotter just because he is a knucklehead NFL bust black man with dreads, a pit bull and the Batmobile.

Just attempting a little humor... Hyperbole is useful in that regard... thought it would be funny to sandwich "Adolf Hitler" between two other guys as an absurd example... and a little Peter Popoff is always worth a couple minutes.

Many of us night owls could not care any less about your respect. Condescending self-righteous a-holes are notorious for making poor judgements about another man's sleeping habits. It's as simple as that.

Perhaps, but it doesn't look all that good for Rick that no less than 8 teams put in waiver requests for DJ, but Rick couldn't get a cup of coffee for him.

Really? In whose eyes?

A second round pick is all of a sudden put up on the trading block. You're the GM of another team. What's the first thing you're going to do? :phone:

Some of you are so drunk on the Rick haterade, it's removed your common sense.

My old couch may not get any interest at my garage sale, then I put it by the side of the road and it's gone in an hour. That says more about the couch and whoever took it than it does me.

Isn't this thread in the wrong forum? :kitten:

So far it's all about Swearinger as a Texan or the Texans' decision making so as things stand...

If anyone ever talks about D.J. actually playing on another team, then sure.

None of this looks good to me. Couldn't make anything out of him, didn't draft a replacement, can't get anything for him, etc. And to throw one directly on OB - I don't like him off giving talks slagging his own team and players or the past staff. That same lecture could have been made without all the bus throwing going on.

Many of us night owls could not care any less about your respect. Condescending self-righteous a-holes are notorious for making poor judgements about another man's sleeping habits. It's as simple as that.

Damn straight. And WTF would the sanctimonious have folks like me do - lie awake for hours every night like some kid sent to bed early without supper doing absolutely zilch just to avoid their condemnation? No thanks. Drug myself asleep? Ain't happening.

LOL....

I can't even...

No respect for people that stay up until 2am....

LMAO......

MSR....

I can't believe he said that. But then again, coming from him, I can. :dontknowa

Preach! I'm awake at all hours of the day. It seems the older I get, the less I sleep.

Just my opinion but I think all this says is teams did not value Swearinger enough to trade draft assets. But are willing to take a flier on a player with zero GTD money and two years left on his contract. Trade value for a QB is much higher than a safety (see Keenum & Fitzpatrick).

My old couch may not get any interest at my garage sale, then I put it by the side of the road and it's gone in an hour. That says more about the couch and whoever took it than it does me.

Or someone collects couches (former high draft picks) throw away's because you (O'Brian) have a change in decoure (defensive scheme).

Look, Swearinger in my book, had a third round grade coming out of South Carolina. But he was not hand picked by O'Brian, doesn't fit profile or scheme so in best interest of both sides released. Plain & simple. Good luck to Swag, work hard & prove naysayers wrong :pirate:

Chris Meyers on the radio now. Stating he doesn't believe Swearinger said he wasn't going to play special teams. Is not buying that at all. Says OB could have been talking about someone else or just hamming up his story.

Says he need to continue working on being a pro. One of the most athletic players he's ever seen. One of the hardest workers. No doubt he'll be a great NFL player.

Said he has a ton of respect for him.

He said Swearinger called him this off season to pick his brain on becoming a better pro and he took it as a great sign of respect. He did say he needs to continue working on becoming a better pro, but it takes some guys longer than others but based on what he's seen he has no doubt that he'll get there.

Speaking very highly of him and seemed to be leaning towards the decision to cut him coming from upstairs.
Swearinger played nearly 200 ST snaps in 2013, so whatever story floating around - like the one on Battle Red Blog - was pure fiction.

Swearinger played nearly 200 ST snaps in 2013, so whatever story floating around - like the one on Battle Red Blog - was pure fiction.

His percentage in 2014 dropped dramatically, along with losing his starting position the last few weeks of the season.

His percentage in 2014 dropped dramatically, along with losing his starting position the last few weeks of the season.

He didn't start in weeks 11-13 and 17. Started 14-16. So they made a change at the week 10 bye and then reversed themselves. Manning got the starts in his place although D.J. ended up with 15 tackles to Manning's 14 in those 4 games.

Really? In whose eyes?

A second round pick is all of a sudden put up on the trading block. You're the GM of another team. What's the first thing you're going to do? :phone:

This is why I said upthread the Texans suck at playing poker. You don't put him on the trading block. You make some phone calls and say how you're looking to move up in the draft, or get one of their guys, or pick up a couple draft picks for next year to do some maneuvering, and then the other team asks what you have to trade. You come up with a few ideas, one of which is DJS. You work people.

I'm fine with DJS being gone, especially if the coaches felt like he had an attitude problem, was disrespectful, not willing to play ST, whatever. I just feel like the Texans could have brought something back in value like we've seen good GMs do.

Just attempting a little humor... Hyperbole is useful in that regard... thought it would be funny to sandwich "Adolf Hitler" between two other guys as an absurd example... and a little Peter Popoff is always worth a couple minutes.

I lasted 3 seconds into that video before shutting it down!

Chris Myers on 610AM:
DJ has some of the best ability as an NFL player I've ever seen. Tremendous athlete. Talent/ability is all there. But when you come in as a rookie you've got to be willing to learn.

Whether it was an upstairs decision or a new system thing he played a year in and didn't like it, that's to be debated.

The whole special teams thing, doubt it had anything to do with any of this.

Trading a guy after the draft is alot harder than before.

DJ has to learn how operate like a pro... he had tremendous leadership in that secondary room... just takes some guys longer to learn.

Swearinger called me a couple of times to get my opinion on a couple of things... and I wasn't even on the team anymore.

He's trying to turn himself around.​

On Clowney:
Most freakish ability I've ever seen. Worked very hard, worked through injuries, practiced hard. We really never saw him at 100% yet.​

Also very complimentary of Derek Newton -- great athlete, quickest feet -- and Ben Jones -- biggest supporter of him.

Really? In whose eyes?

You're confusing haterdade with common sense. Did we get picks for Yates and Schaub? Sure. I was surprised and thought Rick had pulled one over on somebody. In both of those cases, you had players who either weren't starter material or had diminished so much that they were simply veteran backups. Neither applies in this case. The Texans CUT their starting safety. They cut their 2-yr starter who was going into year 3 of a rookie contract. RAC & O'Brien had exactly one season with the guy and had nobody better to put on the field. It comes across as coaches that can't get it done.

As for Rick?
Rick openly starts shopping DJ, but makes brilliant comments like this:
He really found himself a niche last year in some of our sub packages.
Yep, that niche player talk really helps you sell a guy. :facepalm:

When you put the couch that you're still paying on out to the curb (without having another couch to replace it with) then the comparison might be apt. :fingergun:

Just my opinion but I think all this says is teams did not value Swearinger enough to trade draft assets. But are willing to take a flier on a player with zero GTD money and two years left on his contract. Trade value for a QB is much higher than a safety (see Keenum & Fitzpatrick).
Texans still take a cap hit with nothing to show for it. Sure, it's valid to say teams weren't willing to give up anything, but with friends like Rick making dumb comments (see above), it's hard to blame those teams.

As for Rick?
Rick openly starts shopping DJ, but makes brilliant comments like this: Yep, that niche player talk really helps you sell a guy. :facepalm:

Which organization(s) do you think bases their opinion on other GM sound bytes. Is their DVR broken and they can't watch game film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back