Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2nd round DJ Swearinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why I said upthread the Texans suck at playing poker. You don't put him on the trading block. You make some phone calls and say how you're looking to move up in the draft, or get one of their guys, or pick up a couple draft picks for next year to do some maneuvering, and then the other team asks what you have to trade. You come up with a few ideas, one of which is DJS. You work people.

I'm fine with DJS being gone, especially if the coaches felt like he had an attitude problem, was disrespectful, not willing to play ST, whatever. I just feel like the Texans could have brought something back in value like we've seen good GMs do.

and I would deduce that your bringing up a 2nd round pick who started a bunch of games would mean that you are trying to get rid of him for some reason. teams don't happen to "mention" a starter they are happy with for spits and giggles...the rumors came from conversations probably exactly like you stated not from Rick Smith standing Swearinger on block outside the ship asking people to look at his teeth...Sometimes the poker is played correctly on both sides.

like Mollywhopper's example more people are interested in the free couch than even paying a relative few bucks for one that they are not sure why the hell your are throwing out what should be a perfect good couch by your investment and age of the thing.

The Texans CUT their starting safety. They cut their 2-yr starter who was going into year 3 of a rookie contract.

Makes me think something we haven't heard yet is going on. There was absolutely no reason to cut him otherwise. He wasn't great, but he was certainly one of the top 53 football players currently one the roster on the field, but we don't know about behind closed doors and off the field stuff.

When you put the couch that you're still paying on out to the curb (without having another couch to replace it with) then the comparison might be apt. :fingergun:

We don't owe anything on that couch, and we did get a different couch (one you or anyone else may not like, but one nonetheless) in FA.

So, right back at ya ... :fingergun: ...

Which organization(s) do you think bases their opinion on other GM sound bytes. Is their DVR broken and they can't watch game film?
I guess they stick their fingers in their ears when they listen to other GMs as well? Never said it was the deciding factor, simply that it was stupid.

Makes me think something we haven't heard yet is going on. There was absolutely no reason to cut him otherwise. He wasn't great, but he was certainly one of the top 53 football players currently one the roster on the field, but we don't know about behind closed doors and off the field stuff.
I figure we'll know the real story eventually, especially if DJ starts elsewhere soon.

We don't owe anything on that couch, and we did get a different couch (one you or anyone else may not like, but one nonetheless) in FA.

So, right back at ya ... :fingergun: ...
Maybe you don't owe on the couch, but the Texans do owe on DJ. Link Back to you. :tiphat:

I like the Rahim Moore signing, but he didn't exactly play SS in Denver.

I guess they stick their fingers in their ears when they listen to other GMs as well? Never said it was the deciding factor, simply that it was stupid.

I figure we'll know the real story eventually, especially if DJ starts elsewhere soon.

Maybe you don't owe on the couch, but the Texans do owe on DJ. Link Back to you. :tiphat:

I like the Rahim Moore signing, but he didn't exactly play SS in Denver.

OTC is still factoring in D.J.'s base salary for next year. His guaranteed money though is already paid. His prorated cap number is going to be $459,564. A drop in the bucket really, especially to jettison a problem child. And we did also sign Swearinger's likely replacement, S. Brown, as well as R. Moore.

OTC is still factoring in D.J.'s base salary for next year. His guaranteed money though is already paid. His prorated cap number is going to be $459,564. A drop in the bucket really, especially to jettison a problem child. And we did also sign Swearinger's likely replacement, S. Brown, as well as R. Moore.
I was referring to the signing bonus acceleration which the Texans are on the hook for. I'm not nearly as high on the Stevie Brown signing. It's much like the Cushing situation where I hope his post-injury recovery looks much better in year two. As of right now, it's a stretch to call him an improvement over DJ.

I was referring to the signing bonus acceleration which the Texans are on the hook for. I'm not nearly as high on the Stevie Brown signing. It's much like the Cushing situation where I hope his post-injury recovery looks much better in year two. As of right now, it's a stretch to call him an improvement over DJ.

The Texans are no longer on the hook to Swearinger for a dollar of actual pay.
Bit of dead money towards the cap, yes. Actual money being put in D.J.'s pocket, no.

I'm not expecting Stevie Brown to be Polamalu out there. But if he can manage to go a game without whiffing tackles, waving spoon-y arms at himself on the every-once-in-a-while occasion he makes a play, or without getting our number one pick bitten, while maybe occasionally covering someone, then I'll be alright with him. It's not like it would take an All-Pro performance to be an improvement over Swearinger.

and I would deduce that your bringing up a 2nd round pick who started a bunch of games would mean that you are trying to get rid of him for some reason. teams don't happen to "mention" a starter they are happy with for spits and giggles...the rumors came from conversations probably exactly like you stated not from Rick Smith standing Swearinger on block outside the ship asking people to look at his teeth...Sometimes the poker is played correctly on both sides.

like Mollywhopper's example more people are interested in the free couch than even paying a relative few bucks for one that they are not sure why the hell your are throwing out what should be a perfect good couch by your investment and age of the thing.

Is that how Belichick unloaded Mankins? By not bringing him up because that would mean "something's wrong"?

I know Dj is young, but you've got a new head coach, a new DC, just finished your second draft... unless they were looking for a Herschel Walker type trade, they should have been able to get something with the number of teams interested... hey, how 'bout that one legged kicker who spent all year on IR?

I'm just glad he's gone and I think the team feels they have someone to replace him with among their collection of new projects. Now if that works out (I sure hope it does) that's great and if it doesn't work out then they'll get the criticism for it. If Swag goes to Tampa Bay and lights it up we'll look stupid but if he falls flat on his face there too we'll look justified (at least in releasing him if not in originally drafting him).

I think it's going to work out just fine. Just glad I didn't spend any money on a SWEARINGER jersey back when he got here.

Bit of dead money towards the cap, yes. Actual money being put in D.J.'s pocket, no.

I'm not expecting Stevie Brown to be Polamalu out there. But if he can manage to go a game without whiffing tackles, waving spoon-y arms at himself on the every-once-in-a-while occasion he makes a play, or without getting our number one pick bitten, while maybe occasionally covering someone, then I'll be alright with him. It's not like it would take an All-Pro performance to be an improvement over Swearinger.

Exactly. This is not a man whose production is going to be difficult to find elsewhere.

Is that how Belichick unloaded Mankins? By not bringing him up because that would mean "something's wrong"?

I know Dj is young, but you've got a new head coach, a new DC, just finished your second draft... unless they were looking for a Herschel Walker type trade, they should have been able to get something with the number of teams interested... hey, how 'bout that one legged kicker who spent all year on IR?

Wasn't Mankins a pro bowl player?
And DJS is what? An athletic knucklehead?

How do you even compare the two? And it seems that no one even wanted to give up next years 7th for him so where to you get a number of teams interested? Cuz a few teams took a flyer on putting in a waiver claim?

Well, now Winston will have a new playmate to show him the ropes............maybe how to dance on tables with more flare, or how to find crab legs that don't still walk.......:kitten:

Wasn't Mankins a pro bowl player?
And DJS is what? An athletic knucklehead?

How do you even compare the two? And it seems that no one even wanted to give up next years 7th for him so where to you get a number of teams interested? Cuz a few teams took a flyer on putting in a waiver claim?

Several teams were interested enough to put in a claim for him, meaning they were willing to pay out his contract. I doubt they were thinking Dj's a knucklehead.

Couldn't talk his protege in New York into giving up Keith Lewis??

Several teams were interested enough to put in a claim for him, meaning they were willing to pay out his contract. I doubt they were thinking Dj's a knucklehead.

Yes, teams were willing to pay him for showing up to work, and nothing more. That's what that means.

Unlike you guys I don't think other GMs nor Rick smith are stupid.

I wouldn't get my hopes up about Stevie Brown. He's been garbage since coming back from his ACL injury.

"Pro Football Focus graded Brown at +0.2 (-2.9 in pass coverage) with a passer rating of 152.6 and average of 25.0 yards per completion when targeted.

Brown started the first three games, lost his job to Quintin Demps, then re-emerged as a regular player the final third of the season."

"It can't be a coincidence that the Giants gave up so many big plays in 2012 and 2014, and that in 2013 when Brown was sidelined that number dropped to 46, among the best in the league."

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/1/4/7487717/ny-giants-free-agents-2015-keep-or-cut-stevie-brown-poll

I wouldn't get my hopes up about Stevie Brown. He's been garbage since coming back from his ACL injury.

I've also seen here somewhere that he had his best season as a SS, then the Giants moved him to FS where he struggles

"Pro Football Focus graded Brown at +0.2 (-2.9 in pass coverage) with a passer rating of 152.6 and average of 25.0 yards per completion when targeted.

Brown started the first three games, lost his job to Quintin Demps, then re-emerged as a regular player the final third of the season."

"It can't be a coincidence that the Giants gave up so many big plays in 2012 and 2014, and that in 2013 when Brown was sidelined that number dropped to 46, among the best in the league."

http://www.bigblueview.com/2015/1/4/7487717/ny-giants-free-agents-2015-keep-or-cut-stevie-brown-poll

How do those years match with JPP's production?

The point wasn't to sing Brown's praises, it was that losing D.J. is hardly going signal the end of our defense. They're not too far off the same player really anyway. What you lose some in D.J.'s athleticism will hopefully be made up for in Brown being coachable and finishing plays.

At the end of the day Brown, possibly Cliett, and perhaps Dummond will all be asked to take more or less that spot at different times. Having Moore backing them up won't hurt either.

And did I mention no more spoon-y arms for making a hit eight yards past the line. That too.

Isn't his remaining contract like $1.6 million? "Willing to pay out his contract" in this sense is pretty small, considering it is a 2nd Round rookie contract.

NFL.com, ESPN and most important of all Wikipedia have all updated his team to Tampa. Can we move this to the NFL forum?

There are an almost infinite number of reasons that people might be awake at two or three in the morning, yet all you can think of are the negative ones.

Don't respect someone who happens to be awake at a particular time of day?
Its crazy to me that you would venture to judge someone on that small fact. To me it says more about your character than it does theirs.
Judge not, as they say, especially when the simple fact that someone was awake at a certain time is your only basis for judgement.

I'm not judging their soul, just their wisdom. And I included 2 good reasons to be up at 2 AM, work and STARTING your day. But I suspect the problem is that you just don't think there is anything wrong with it. I do.

The body needs rest and rest is optimal during the night.

This is why I said upthread the Texans suck at playing poker. You don't put him on the trading block. You make some phone calls and say how you're looking to move up in the draft, or get one of their guys, or pick up a couple draft picks for next year to do some maneuvering, and then the other team asks what you have to trade. You come up with a few ideas, one of which is DJS. You work people.

I'm fine with DJS being gone, especially if the coaches felt like he had an attitude problem, was disrespectful, not willing to play ST, whatever. I just feel like the Texans could have brought something back in value like we've seen good GMs do.

Like OUR GM has done, but just not in this case.

I'm just glad he's gone and I think the team feels they have someone to replace him with among their collection of new projects. Now if that works out (I sure hope it does) that's great and if it doesn't work out then they'll get the criticism for it. If Swag goes to Tampa Bay and lights it up we'll look stupid but if he falls flat on his face there too we'll look justified (at least in releasing him if not in originally drafting him).

I think it's going to work out just fine. Just glad I didn't spend any money on a SWEARINGER jersey back when he got here.

While true, it shouldn't be looked at this way. Fit is important. To use the couch analogy, the couch may have been too large for the new room design and needed replacement, perhaps even with an inferior one in some ways, but one that fits.

That doesn't mean that same couch in a different house won't be a perfect fit there.

The point wasn't to sing Brown's praises, it was that losing D.J. is hardly going signal the end of our defense. They're not too far off the same player really anyway. What you lose some in D.J.'s athleticism will hopefully be made up for in Brown being coachable and finishing plays.

At the end of the day Brown, possibly Cliett, and perhaps Dummond will all be asked to take more or less that spot at different times. Having Moore backing them up won't hurt either.

And did I mention no more spoon-y arms for making a hit eight yards past the line. That too.

Or doing this stupid celebration while the play was still alive. I think it happened more than once too.

Takes that long to make your paper hat and get the fryer up to temp?

58739dcfcdd82515f5f01aa85ded330aa224f06880931f2cb7c5552d82373ba0.jpg

Isn't his remaining contract like $1.6 million? "Willing to pay out his contract" in this sense is pretty small, considering it is a 2nd Round rookie contract.

Exactly.

Whether they traded for him or got him off waivers, they were going to be paying off the remainder of his contract, which is pretty cheap for a player selected in the draft after only two seasons.

The question is why couldn't Rick Smith talk one of the teams interested into trading a scrub player? Keith Lewis was my example, from the Jets where Maccagnan, whom he has ties with, is now the GM.

Exactly.

Whether they traded for him or got him off waivers, they were going to be paying off the remainder of his contract, which is pretty cheap for a player selected in the draft after only two seasons.

The question is why couldn't Rick Smith talk one of the teams interested into trading a scrub player? Keith Lewis was my example, from the Jets where Maccagnan, whom he has ties with, is now the GM.

I can only assume that the "risk" with DJ was worth taking on a very team-friendly contract via the waiver wire but was not worth giving up an asset, draft pick or scrub.

And quite frankly, Rick may have been thinking that they are going after their own UDFA's, scrubs and camp fodder and didn't want to hassle with the transaction paperwork to inherit someone else's. It may have been draft pick or bust.

The Texans’ decision to waive 2013 second-round pick D.J. Swearinger on Monday didn’t exactly scare off clubs from wanting to bring in the third-year safety from South Carolina.

According to ESPN’s Field Yates, eight teams tried to claim Swearinger, who ultimately landed with Tampa Bay on Tuesday. In addition to the Jets, the Jaguars, Raiders, Falcons, Bills, Steelers and Ravens were all willing to be assigned his contract.
The Steelers’ claim for Swearinger shouldn’t come as a surprise; the team has a need at safety, and head coach Mike Tomlin praised Swearinger’s play before last season’s Steelers-Texans matchup. Likewise, the Jets, Jaguars, Raiders, Falcons, Bills and Ravens could also use another option or two at safety.

Nevertheless, the Buccaneers were first in line. And now, Swearinger gets a chance to see if his second NFL home works out better than his first.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...s-attempted-to-add-d-j-swearinger-on-waivers/

I didn't know he wore a hoodie either!

OK, this has gone too far.

While I may be of melatonin rich, unnaturally youthful, bespeckled origins, I do not wear a hoodie without direct order of a Sergeant. LTs can f'k off (no offense).

OK, this has gone too far.

While I may be of melatonin rich, unnaturally youthful, bespeckled origins, I do not wear a hoodie without direct order of a Sergeant. LTs can f'k off (no offense).

Well, it's a really leather jacket with a hood and that ramps it way up from a regular old hoodie, style-wise.
just sayin'

Well, it's a really leather jacket with a hood and that ramps it way up from a regular old hoodie, style-wise.
just sayin'

yeah but on a day warm enough everyone else is comfortable in t-shirts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back