Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2nd round DJ Swearinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure we're in agreement here. Swearinger's attitude toward being drafted to high to play special teams is in direct conflict with O'Brien's team-first/you do whatever the team needs you to do mantra.
He had to go.

If Dj wasn't playing special teams because he didn't want to play special teams & still got the Lions share of snaps.... I'll have no respect for Bill O'brien.

Wake me up when we cut Rick Smith, because so far outside of Watt his drafts have been absolute dumpster fires and he's pissing away draft picks.

Wake me up when we cut Rick Smith, because so far outside of Watt his drafts have been absolute dumpster fires and he's pissing away draft picks.

I'd want him gone yesterday if I thought he was responsible for the drafts

even tho most teams haven't done better

I can see DJ's agent catching wind of a trade through his own channels, informing Ian Rapoport, then advising DJ to sabotage the deal. There's no way he made that move himself, as "strategy" is just another three syllable word he can't spell. And there's no way Smith or O'Brien informed him.

I bet O'Brien rolled and eyes and thought, "typical."

"It's a free country" is really the best comment a coach can say to the press at that very moment.

I was sincerely hoping that the Broncos picked him up so that Manning could tell him to **** off at every practice.

It seems that to you everything is "ridiculous" that a player/agent may have ulterior motives/tactics.

I understand that agents can be calculating and have bigger plans that they're executing; i'm just saying that, in this case, I don't see the logic in a player and agent purposely wrecking a trade.

Is he officially on waivers or is a TJ Yates trade still possible?

I read what you posted earlier about the Bucs showing interest but I wasn't sure how all that worked.

I'm not sure if this is like baseball or not, but there a team can pull a player off waivers if they see interest. But there is no reason that I can think of for doing it in football since they do not keep players in a minor league or retain rights after going through waivers.

As a 3rd year 2nd round player, if he is picked up by the Bucs, he will still get the same salary as if he stayed here or was traded.

I believe he will get the minimum from the team he goes to and we are on the hook for everything in excess of the league minimum on his Texan contract.

I think I might be the only one, but I believe Cliett is an instant upgrade with far better tackling. I watched a bunch of South Florida football because of that guy, he's a steal.

I hope so, he;s the type LB this defense has been missing.

Where does he fit in this defense?

The way I look at him is as a nickel LB.

The guy just gave off a turd vibe from day one and I'm glad he's gone. The 2013 draft was a train wreck apart from Hopkins and rounds 6/7 but I'm not ready to call the 2014 draft the same thing.

steelbtexan I gotta disagree with you about the 2014 draft. it's way too soon to be putting it next to the 2013 draft and saying "See, these are alike". If we get nothing of value out of X, Fiedo, and NixIII this year I'll start thinking you have a point on the 2014 draft but one season doesn't make a busted draft. Clowney's injured knee is what it is and if they knew he was damaged to this extent when they picked him then sure, they screwed up but I don't think they did and so I'm not going to hold an injury against them where drafting players is concerned.

I actually liked the 2014 draft. Who knew half the draft class would end up on IR. I just enjoy giving people crap.

I don't know why it doesn't really matter. Nothing ever will change SteelB's mind. Facts have no place in his little haterade world. He's right a lot of the time, but his constant spewing of Rick and the McNairs suck aren't worth prolong a conversation for.

Instead of talking stuff, prove me wwrong on my posts.

2013-2014, OkOye drafts.

I'd want him gone yesterday if I thought he was responsible for the drafts

even tho most teams haven't done better

Love the fact that Smith can do no wrong. I will admit I'm jealous of a man in that position.

Good luck trying to win a SB with that organizational structure.

I believe he will get the minimum from the team he goes to and we are on the hook for everything in excess of the league minimum on his Texan contract.

If he is taken on waivers his contract goes with him. If he passes through the contract is over. D.J. has received all the guaranteed money in his contract. Either way the Texans aren't on the hook for anything other than dead money from his signing bonus proration - basically $460k.

Instead of talking stuff, prove me wwrong on my posts.

2013-2014, OkOye drafts.

There's no proving you wrong just like there is no proving you're right on a matter of opinion. You hate the Texans, I'm still waiting on them to show something, but they are the team I care to be a favorite of. Why are you still here? And don't give that bullshit about you just want them to do well. That would ruin your self image of the know it all I'm better at this than everyone else that you carry

Love the fact that Smith can do no wrong. I will admit I'm jealous of a man in that position.

Good luck trying to win a SB with that organizational structure.

Get over your hypothetical holier than thou crap. No one has ever said that Smith is perfect, but he's not the total incompetent fool you want to make out he is either. You act like your the only one that knows diddly poo about how to run a NFL franchise... but wait you're not in football are you?

There's no proving you wrong just like there is no proving you're right on a matter of opinion. You hate the Texans, I'm still waiting on them to show something, but they are the team I care to be a favorite of. Why are you still here? And don't give that bullshit about you just want them to do well. That would ruin your self image of the know it all I'm better at this than everyone else that you carry

To hate them I sure do spend a lot of $$$$ on them.

I'm not saying I know everything about football. I'm saying that any avg Joe could have done a better job than Rick did in the 2013/2014 drafts.

Of course with 2 regimes now nothing ever falls on Rick. I would think that Rick stabbing your Aggie buddy in the back you would see the light.

Hyperbolic?

I'm not saying I know everything about football. I'm saying that any avg Joe could have done a better job than Rick did in the 2013/2014 drafts.

Of course with 2 regimes now nothing ever falls on Rick.

Hyperbolic?

:lol:

Of course with 2 regimes now nothing ever falls on Rick.

Hyperbolic?

If you spend money on them hating them as you do, you make Rick Smith appear to be the genius and McNair laugh

JB, recognize Steelb for what he is, and quit feeding him. He said himself earlier that he just likes to give people crap. Why else would he just keep saying the same thing over and over and over?

Regarding Swearinger, this whole "waived because he wouldn't play special teams" is interesting. If, and I say IF that were the case, then that means O'Brian watched film on him during the offseason, and came to the conclusion that Swag had no business being a starter.

When he was drafted in the 2nd round, there was no one here that had a problem with it. He was the ball hawking safety prospect that everyone was excited about having. But now watch the revisionist historians come out now and say different.

What we really got, was an undisciplined, uncoachable loudmouth, who couldn't cover the toilet lid with his own ass, and not only couldn't tackle, he didn't want to if he could. Any team that does pick him up is going to wish they hadn't.

JB, recognize Steelb for what he is, and quit feeding him. He said himself earlier that he just likes to give people crap. Why else would he just keep saying the same thing over and over and over?

Regarding Swearinger, this whole "waived because he wouldn't play special teams" is interesting. If, and I say IF that were the case, then that means O'Brian watched film on him during the offseason, and came to the conclusion that Swag had no business being a starter.

When he was drafted in the 2nd round, there was no one here that had a problem with it. He was the ball hawking safety prospect that everyone was excited about having. But now watch the revisionist historians come out now and say different.

What we really got, was an undisciplined, uncoachable loudmouth, who couldn't cover the toilet lid with his own ass, and not only couldn't tackle, he didn't want to if he could. Any team that does pick him up is going to wish they hadn't.

Agreed,

But there were plenty here that didn't like the pick, BL/BB etc... I thought he wasn't a bad pick although I had him going in the 3-4th range. I had no problem with his crap talking ways. I did have a problem with his tackling issues and lack of coverage skills.

The biggest problem with me was he & Clowney hanging out getting dog bit at 3am when the Texans org is saying Clowney is giving 100% in his rehab. Apparently this pissed off fellow S.Carolina alum McNair and BOB. Cant Blame McNair he invested his $$$$ and reputation in Clowney so he has to give him all the tools he needs to succeed. Which is what got Swag cut.

It's not college anymore. BOB is bringing a new culture to the Texans.

This is a great speech O'Brien gave at some seminar or something. The whole thing is good, because he's a very inspirational speaker.

BUT, go to about the 15:30 mark and listen. He tells the story of a player who was a 2nd round pick who walked out of a special teams meeting because he felt that since he was a 2nd round pick, he had already made the team. O'Brien didn't mention names, but, I'm wondering which 2nd round draft pick that was. I don't think there are many 2nd round draft picks left on this team that he inherited.

https://www.hulkshare.com/tokeyoh/00120150327153714-billob

This is a great speech O'Brien gave at some seminar or something. The whole thing is good, because he's a very inspirational speaker.

BUT, go to about the 15:30 mark and listen. He tells the story of a player who was a 2nd round pick who walked out of a special teams meeting because he felt that since he was a 2nd round pick, he had already made the team. O'Brien didn't mention names, but, I'm wondering which 2nd round draft pick that was. I don't think there are many 2nd round draft picks left on this team that he inherited.

It's actually at the 11:00 mark.

But wow, what a find. I'll have to listen to this whole thing tomorrow.

Thanks for the link. That is a great talk.

Thanks for the correction. I must have gotten the timer wrong. Yeah, the whole thing is pretty amazing. He also goes on to talk about how, when he first took over the Texans, he thought the team was soft and that other teams thought they could walk all over us.

Although O'Brien didn't specifically name which 2nd round player copped the attitude, it's pretty obvious of whom he was speaking. I repeat what I said earlier: Swarenger and his agents would be fools to purposely destroy a trade, because it gives the impression that the guy has character issues. This speech by 'O'Brien pretty much confirms that.

The only second round picks on the team under OB's regime:

Xavier Su'a-Filo (2014)
D.J. Swearinger (2013)
Brooks Reed (2011)
Brandon Harris (2011)

If he is taken on waivers his contract goes with him. If he passes through the contract is over. D.J. has received all the guaranteed money in his contract. Either way the Texans aren't on the hook for anything other than dead money from his signing bonus proration - basically $460k.

OK. That was baseball then. I do get them confused if the contract isn't sitting in front of me. My memory is sharp about detail, but the filing system stinks.

What's amusing to me is that Hookem Horns is still stuck with this guy since he watches Tampa Bay games.

After attacking and biting Texans top pic Jadeveion, will DJs wonder dog now make a bee-line for the Bucs top pick famous Jaemis once the two of them arrive in TB ?

Hmmm, it starts at the 15:40 mark for me. I would like to know who the other players were because O'Brien mentions that there were 4 or 5 guys that walked out. Message sent to the others for sure.

I'll say it again. If Dj didn't want to play special teams & this was an known before the 2014 season... I have no respect for Bill O'Brien considering the number of snaps Dj was allowed to play.

I'll say it again. If Dj didn't want to play special teams & this was an known before the 2014 season... I have no respect for Bill O'Brien considering the number of snaps Dj was allowed to play.

Because a rookie head coach may have wanted to see these types of things for himself? Seems a silly thing to lose respect over.

And as far as facts go...

2013 snap counts:
Defense - 730
Special Teams - 193

Whether or not DJ wanted to play on ST the year before OB arrived, he most certainly did play.

Is it plausible that we will get more as a compensatory pick than we could have gotten in a trade? Why take a 7th from Tampa, if the NFL is going to give you a 5th?

Or am I understanding comp picks incorrectly?

Is it plausible that we will get more as a compensatory pick than we could have gotten in a trade? Why take a 7th from Tampa, if the NFL is going to give you a 5th?

Or am I understanding comp picks incorrectly?
We won't get a comp pick for him because we released him. Comp picks are only for players that leave as a free agent.

Because a rookie head coach may have wanted to see these types of things for himself? Seems a silly thing to lose respect over.

And as far as facts go...

2013 snap counts:
Defense - 730
Special Teams - 193

Whether or not DJ wanted to play on ST the year before OB arrived, he most certainly did play.

If you listen to O'Brien's story HE was the one conducting the team meeting and he was the coach - the head coach mind you - that Swearinger popped off to about being a 2nd round pick who doesn't have to play special teams.

So it's not about how many S/T snaps Swearinger got during his rookie year, it's about DJ (and O'Brien says there were others) feeling entitled enough to blow off the special teams meeting in 2014. It's that attitude that put the burr under O'Brien's saddle blanket.

I mean, how the hell do you tell your brand new boss what you do and don't have to do when you barely know what he expects from you? Not to mention you've only been with the team a year longer than he has. He hasn't earn crap.

I see TK's point. But I suspect O'Brien was giving Swearinger enough time to straighten out and get with the program or enough rope to hang himself.

Last edited:
If you listen to O'Brien's story HE was the one conducting the team meeting and he was the coach - the head coach mind you - that Swearinger popped off to about being a 2nd round pick who doesn't have to pay special teams.

So it's not about how many S/T snaps Swearinger got during his rookie year, it's about DJ (and O'Brien says there were others) feeling entitled enough to blow off the special teams meeting in 2014. It's that attitude that put the burr under O'Brien's saddle blanket.

I mean, how the hell do you tell your brand new boss what you do and don't have to do when you barely know what he expects from you? Not to mention you've only been with the team a year longer than he has. He hasn't earn crap.

I see TK's point. But I suspect O'Brien was giving Swearinger enough time to straighten out and get with the program or enough rope to hang himself.

OK, that makes sense. I guess I just read TK's post wrong. Made it sound like OB went into 2014 knowing there was an issue.

What is interesting is that DJ only had 29 snaps on special team in 2014. Sort of like he got what he wanted from OB, but in all fairness to OB, he increase his defensive snap count by 300 so maybe OB had to keep him off ST because they were thin at Safety this past season. I don't know.

If you listen to O'Brien's story HE was the one conducting the team meeting and he was the coach - the head coach mind you - that Swearinger popped off to about being a 2nd round pick who doesn't have to pay special teams.

Great post,

His dog biting Clowney at 3am was the cherry on top.

OK, that makes sense. I guess I just read TK's post wrong. Made it sound like OB went into 2014 knowing there was an issue.

What is interesting is that DJ only had 29 snaps on special team in 2014. Sort of like he got what he wanted from OB, but in all fairness to OB, he increase his defensive snap count by 300 so maybe OB had to keep him off ST because they were thin at Safety this past season. I don't know.

This is what makes most sense to me. Taking Swearinger off the field as a safety last year would have been like cutting off his nose to spite his face.

The guys on 610 were speculating that he didn't return to ST duty after his injury.

I didn't read his post wrong. It's the typical player-to-coach blameshift, that sadly, is SOP around here.

His play on the field sucked, and he didn't want to listen to his coaches. If that were not the case, he'd still be on the team.

I didn't read his post wrong. It's the typical player-to-coach blameshift, that sadly, is SOP around here.

His play on the field sucked, and he didn't want to listen to his coaches. If that were not the case, he'd still be on the team.

The talent was there. The passion was there. Knuckleheads can be coached up. When you let a 2nd-rounder walk after two seasons, it's because they are a cancer or uncoachable.

O'Brien doesn't seem like the type to come in swinging the ax to the roster. The coaching staff, sure; but not the roster. His approach was to sit back, see they types of players he has in year one, and make moves in year two.

He's not Chip Kelley. If Chip Kelley were the coach here, the very first thing he would have done is gotten rid of JJ Watt.

I would like to know who the other players were because O'Brien mentions that there were 4 or 5 guys that walked out...

Doesn't really matter, imo, and I don't think that on its own is why DJ was cut. More emblematic of a culture that needed to be changed/leadership void. Maybe DJ felt O'Brien disrespected him by cussing at him, who knows? But there had to be a pattern of behavior to warrant such drastic action.

O'Brien doesn't seem like the type to come in swinging the ax to the roster. The coaching staff, sure; but not the roster. His approach was to sit back, see they types of players he has in year one, and make moves in year two.

He's not Chip Kelley. If Chip Kelley were the coach here, the very first thing he would have done is gotten rid of JJ Watt.

Nah, JJ is white.

Exactly, especially since JJ still has 2 good knees

That's fine if we're talking on field performance but I don't see how a HC can let one much less multiple players defiantly walk out of a meeting and not do anything. It's a direct challenge to his authority and should be dealt with swiftly.

Something just doesn't add up with this story. Why would D.J. think he didn't have to play special teams after having had to play special teams? If he hadn't played ST under Kubiak it would make more sense for him to possibly object to a "new" assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back