Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2nd round DJ Swearinger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you're right. If so, DJ was probably not supposed to go public with it yet, which would explain O'Brien's comment on it.

Some head coach who thinks he can control people and thinks Swearinger can help his defense will take him on via a trade.

I dont expect much, but I do expect more than a release.

Swearinger per PFF safety ranking:

2013 71 out of 86
2014 78 out of 87

Scarey stats, since he played so many snaps for the Texans.

Good riddance, dude made Shiloh Keo look like Earl Thomas. I also won't miss hearing his idiocy on the radio. Have hated him pretty much from the beginning.

Anyone else wonder if him getting JD bitten by his dog may have been the final straw for the coaching staff?

I mean, the dude is on a pretty cheap contract here, one that you could quite easily keep him around just to let his development play out even if he doesn't see the field.

Anyone else wonder if him getting JD bitten by his dog may have been the final straw for the coaching staff?

I mean, the dude is on a pretty cheap contract here, one that you could quite easily keep him around just to let his development play out even if he doesn't see the field.

I think his development is the issue. More to the point his lack thereof. Being an ungroomable knucklehead won't likely get guys very far with this coaching staff. As well it shouldn't.

And according to PFF McKinney was the 50th best LB in the draft.

True but I tend to not put too much stock in college stats because there is a big difference between the skill levels of players depending on what conference and team they play in/for. I'll give McKinney the chance to accumulate some pro stats before I write him off. Valid point regardless.

PFF is by no means G'd's word and I didn't watch McKinney in college. But I did watch Swearinger........his PFF ranking does not surprise me.

I don't know how you can rank all the safeties together... even all the Strong safeties. Different teams use them different ways. The only true grade would be based on what he was asked to do... y'know how well he met expectations.

I'm not a DSwagg fan. I liked the plays that he made every now & again, but I remember him missing more than he made & didn't see it getting any better.

I liked that we used a 2nd round pick on a safety. Dj is talented. But imo, just not working out for us.

Someone on BRB says the Browns rumor is DJ is being traded for DE Billy Winn

More recently and more impressive:

Browns DL Billy Winn Earns Proven Performance Escalator

Only one player on the Browns earned a slight increase in their base salary for 2015.

Last year, three members of the Cleveland Browns earned proven performance escalators. This past season, the only player to earn a proven performance escalator on the Browns was DL Billy Winn, which means he will see an increase in his base salary in 2015.

What is a proven performance escalator? It applies to players selected anywhere between rounds 3-7 of the NFL Draft who have met one of the following criteria:

played in 35% of the snaps in two of his first three seasons
posted of cumulative average of 35% of snaps in his first three seasons

Since the criteria waits three years, that means we have to look back at players from the 2012 NFL Draft. Only three players from that draft were eligible for the escalator: DL Billy Winn, DL John Hughes, and WR Travis Benjamin.

Billy Winn - 6th Round Pick in 2012

Year % Snaps Played Team Games
2014 43.08% 501 1163 13
2013 27.09% 311 1148 11
2012 60.43% 701 1160 16
Total 43.59% 1513 3471

Winn played a significant amount of snaps in his rookie season (60%), so he was in good shape to earn the escalator. Even with him only playing 27% of the snaps in 2013, his cumulative snap total heading into this year was around 43%. As long as he didn't suffer a season-ending injury right off the bat, he would have been fine. He played in 43% of the snaps this past season, earning him the escalator.

Winn's base salary in 2015 will increase from $660,000 to "somewhere between $1,503,000 and $1,574,000."

True but I tend to not put too much stock in college stats because there is a big difference between the skill levels of players depending on what conference and team they play in/for. I'll give McKinney the chance to accumulate some pro stats before I write him off. Valid point regardless.

I'm just saying PFF is nice for small stats - one offs like drops. I don't trust their conclusions on big stats "who's better" for anything.

So my question is who will be the SS? Eddie Pleasant? Stevie Brown? Or is Manning coming back for another go?

I think his development is the issue. More to the point his lack thereof. Being an ungroomable knucklehead won't likely get guys very far with this coaching staff. As well it shouldn't.

I totally agree, dude's been a liability and frankly an embarrassment, far too much mouthing off with very little production.

I hate to see a guy like him with all the measurable's fail because he's an idiot but there we go.

Time to move on. Be very interested in what the plan is moving forward with his spot. They now have a big hole in the starting line-up.

With an abundance of talented CB's vying for roster spots, I can't help but wonder if they want to move one of them into JungleBoi's spot.

So my question is who will be the SS? Eddie Pleasant? Stevie Brown?

Addition by subtraction if you ask me. IT really doesn't matter. It's not like Swagg was adding anything positive to the position.

Really?

Lets not look at reality like the 2013 draft as exhibit A.

I don't want to forgive us for whiffing nearly an entire draft, but that crop stunk for the league on the whole. Look at the top ten alone, it was doomed. If ever a bad draft were forgivable.

Really?

Lets not look at reality like the 2013 draft as exhibit A.

Some are just too wrapped up hatred to see that Rick is not the worst. Not even the bottom 10. He has drafted relatively well in NFL terms. We just don't have that stud QB.

I was looking around and cant find anyone outside of TexasTalk land that thinks Rick Smith is as horrible as some around here do.

What motivates me is Texans seem to be moving ahead with determination plus it helps if I agree as on this move. I read somewhere probably this MB that if Bouye is beaten out by KJ2, he could move to SS. Also hope Ballentine gets more exposure.

So my question is who will be the SS? Eddie Pleasant? Stevie Brown? Or is Manning coming back for another go?

I would assume Stevie Brown. Crennel seems to like his Safeties to be more interchangeable than having a true FS and a true SS. The bigger question is who will be the Nickel LB now. Cliett is a 6th round rookie. Not sure he's ready for that role. Brown could do it but then who would come in at S? Ballentine?

I don't want to forgive us for whiffing nearly an entire draft, but that crop stunk for the league on the whole. Look at the top ten alone, it was doomed. If ever a bad draft were forgivable.

Or last yrs draft class. BTW, I really liked last yrs class, who knew they practically all would end up on IR?

I'm just pointing this out because people say that Rick knows a lot more than we do about the prospects. My reply is if this is true he's really terrible at his job. Any number of posters could do a better job. Bah/BL/WF etc....

Truth hurts and for Marshall to I'm trying to pass on being hurt to somebody else makes me LOL. Fact is I'm not hurting at all watching this organizational dumpster fire. I do enjoy seeing the justification though.

I do like that Rick added speed to the LB corps this yr. Don't know about the Johnson pick and hate the Strong pick. I do enjoy seeing Rick tap dance, on one hand saying the former regimes coaches had too much say in the draft and on the otherhand saying he's glad to have more input from BOB's coaching staff. Classic yes man stuff.

Back to topic, SWAG is a JAG good riddance. More of out with the old regime and in with the new. Too bad Rick got left behind, as in how does Cal's behind taste?

I would assume Stevie Brown. Crennel seems to like his Safeties to be more interchangeable than having a true FS and a true SS. The bigger question is who will be the Nickel LB now. Cliett is a 6th round rookie. Not sure he's ready for that role. Brown could do it but then who would come in at S? Ballentine?

Better hope Cliett can help right away. He's got the speed/talent to hold down that spot. If not, maybe they get their nickel LB in the Swag trade.

To me this all comes down to keeping Swag away from Clowney. Apparently BOB wasn't down with Clowney hanging out with Swag until 3 am getting bitten by Swags dog. Or maybe BOB isn't a dog lover, but something was definitely going on behind the scenes. Party on Swag. Culture is changing.

Some are just too wrapped up hatred to see that Rick is not the worst. Not even the bottom 10. He has drafted relatively well in NFL terms. We just don't have that stud QB.

I was looking around and cant find anyone outside of TexasTalk land that thinks Rick Smith is as horrible as some around here do.

Yep those 2013/2014 drafts were epic. Championship quality.

If people except this kind of crap then they should be happy when the team fails on the field.

Yep those 2013/2014 drafts were epic. Championship quality.

If people except this kind of crap then they should be happy when the team fails on the field.

Which GM's do you consider as good at drafting? I assume you can name at least 10 that are better since Smith is the bottom of the barrel.

We couldn't get anything for him!?! Really!?:kubepalm:

He's gonna get picked up so fast... A lot better player then people give him credit for.

you have faith in what comes from McLame?

oN THIS ONE I THINK HE GOT I RIGHT. tHIS THING HAS BEEN DRUG OUT ToOO LONG, SINCE ALL THE WAY A WEEK OR SO BEFOE THE dRAFT. I WILL NOW BE SURPIRESED IF WE GET ANY PLAYER OR FUTUE DRAT PICK FOR dj.

Swearinger had an up and down career in Houston after being taken in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Despite inconsistencies with tackling, occasional mental breakdowns while playing in deep zones, and a personality on the field that rubbed some fans the wrong way, he was still the best option on the team for Romeo Crennel's hybrid safety/linebacker role when the team switched to dime packages. Not only that, but Swearinger flashed the ability to be a great man-cover defender against running backs and tight ends alike.

The former Gamecock was certainly talented enough to warrant a roster spot on a team that still has some holes to fill like the Texans, which really only leaves one reason for why Bill O'Brien would want to get rid of him - character. There have been rumors of multiple incidents, both documented and not, that have made their way to the surface since the start of the 2015 offseason. From Swearinger's pit bull biting fellow Texan Jadeveon Clowney on the arm, to his alleged theft of his own truck off of the lot of a local body shop, to even rumors that Swearinger walked out of special teams meetings last season because he felt that his status as a second round pick precluded him from playing on the special teams unit, it is easy to see a bit of a pattern building up with "Jungle Boi's" personality clashing with the culture that Bill O'Brien is trying to build.
http://www.battleredblog.com/2015/5...ly-released-was-influence-on-clowney-the-main

I'd love to get Billy Winn for Swearinger. I'd take that straight up.

My question is, if this is true, why are the Browns wanting to do it? I mean, what's wrong with Winn that they would give him up for Swagg? Are they overloaded at DE or do they need SS's?

Which GM's do you consider as good at drafting? I assume you can name at least 10 that are better since Smith is the bottom of the barrel.

Easily

Ozzie
BB
Schnieder
Reid
Thompson
Reese
Elway
Loomis
Colbert
Kiem
Snead

This doesn't even include Baalke or McCloughan who I think are much better also.

This is just off of the top of my head. I'm sure you will disagree, but none have had as bad of drafts as the 213/214 drafts and that doesn't even include the OkOye draft. I have been talking about this subject for yrs and Rick is the constant, besides the McNair's.

I'm just excited that we got something for him instead of cutting him outright after only 2 years.

Oh wait...what? Nevermind...

DX-TX said:
Have a friend who posts at a paid, insider Browns message board and the buzz there is Swearinger for defensive lineman Billy Wynn

People pay for insider Browns information? I always just assumed that everyone in any way involved with the Browns was just there trying to do their best on a volunteer basis and at the end of the year they all got a participation ribbon, ring, and trophy.

Apparently, if you take any stock in this quote, Bill O'Brien does NOT suffer bad boys on his team.

really only leaves one reason for why Bill O'Brien would want to get rid of him - character. There have been rumors of multiple incidents, both documented and not, that have made their way to the surface since the start of the 2015 offseason. From Swearinger's pit bull biting fellow Texan Jadeveon Clowney on the arm, to his alleged theft of his own truck off of the lot of a local body shop, to even rumors that Swearinger walked out of special teams meetings last season because he felt that his status as a second round pick precluded him from playing on the special teams unit, it is easy to see a bit of a pattern building up with "Jungle Boi's" personality clashing with the culture that Bill O'Brien is trying to build.

maybe it's not the McNairs who want "choir boys", looks like it's O'Brien

I mean, how many times has O'Brien used the phrase, "he's a 'high character' guy" when describing the guys he's picked up? I've lost count.

out of the 32 teams RIck smith has top be at the bottom 3 of GM's 32 31 or 30 he has to be

what a suckkkyyy draft class if u keep missing on entire draft classes that sets your franchise back multiple years 2 to 4 years this is not good

I think it's safe to say that we will be giving Rick Smith a healthy extension any day now, after all this is the Houston way. See Kevin McHale. Sports Mediocrity thrives in this city.

Oh well. In blind faith I trust right, not like this has ever gone South in a hurry for me.

The guy just gave off a turd vibe from day one and I'm glad he's gone. The 2013 draft was a train wreck apart from Hopkins and rounds 6/7 but I'm not ready to call the 2014 draft the same thing.

steelbtexan I gotta disagree with you about the 2014 draft. it's way too soon to be putting it next to the 2013 draft and saying "See, these are alike". If we get nothing of value out of X, Fiedo, and NixIII this year I'll start thinking you have a point on the 2014 draft but one season doesn't make a busted draft. Clowney's injured knee is what it is and if they knew he was damaged to this extent when they picked him then sure, they screwed up but I don't think they did and so I'm not going to hold an injury against them where drafting players is concerned.

For this release to happen outright and this early, whether we find out the exact details or not, he had to be strongly considered a locker room cancer.

It sounds like he was too immature to understand that a courtesy "heads up" shouldn't be made public.
After the Texans "shopping him" became public knowledge BEFORE the draft?

I may think DJ is a punk, but he owes them zip in this regard.

oN THIS ONE I THINK HE GOT I RIGHT. tHIS THING HAS BEEN DRUG OUT ToOO LONG, SINCE ALL THE WAY A WEEK OR SO BEFOE THE dRAFT. I WILL NOW BE SURPIRESED IF WE GET ANY PLAYER OR FUTUE DRAT PICK FOR dj.

iNtEteSTing MOrnIng foR YOU?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back