Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2024 Draft Talk

So you're saying it's a bad year for FA OTs. I see Jonah Williams is a FA. He would be better.
Both Brown and Onwenu would be significant upgrades over Fant. Onwenu has a stronger run blocking grade, Brown a stronger pass blocking grade.

Brown could likely be signed for less cap hit and for this reason may be the better target to go after.

As previously mentioned the Texans should pair this with a lower round project. If for whatever reason we fail to sign a RT in free agency, and I would qualify this by saying an upgrade at RT, I do like the idea of targeting a RT in the 1st round and certainly no lower than the 2nd. Anything lower and we may not be getting anything more than a Fant level of play.

I want an upgrade at the position.

Both Brown and Onwenu would be significant upgrades over Fant. Onwenu has a stronger run blocking grade, Brown a stronger pass blocking grade.
That doesn't mean that much to me, honestly. Despite these good PFF grades, the Patriots couldn't run the ball worth a flip. And if Pierce is a bad fit for a zone scheme, how are these 350+lb O-linemen going to look?

... how are these 350+lb O-linemen going to look?
Good point. I hadn't previously looked at or considered this. Onwenu carries his weight on a 6'3" frame. This has always concerned me. Brown carries his weight on a 6'8 1/2" frame, so less so. But ultimately this comes down to a coaching decision. My first preference is to target a RT at 23.

Perhaps Nick will be able to work a post June 1st trade even if he has to give up a late round pick. That would add approximately 14 million dollars to the salary cap. Some team might want to sit on Howard and take the risk. Howard should be ok with prorating 2024 base or a contract re-work.
OTs are premium and hopefully some teams will take that risk.
I would give up a 4th to get 14 mil in cap space. I would ask for a 6th back.

I don't think they will pay Tytus top dollar and then draft a right tackle in the first round. It just doesn't make sense, considering the amount of money and draft capital already invested in this offensive line. Unless they believe Tytus is no longer fit to play football, this scenario is highly unlikely. Instead of indulging in this far-fetched fantasy, can we please discuss plausible scenarios?
You're right a very plausible scenario is that Howard isn't ready at the start of the season and plays like crap when he gets back from injury, while eating up a big chunk of the cap. Looks like another yr of crap play from the RT position. Oh the joy.

That doesn't mean that much to me, honestly. Despite these good PFF grades, the Patriots couldn't run the ball worth a flip. And if Pierce is a bad fit for a zone scheme, how are these 350+lb O-linemen going to look?
Trent Brown is more of a "gap" blocker and Tunsil ZBS imo. I am more concerned with our guards pull blocking as none seem capable. Hard to evaluate as Mason only one consistently on field and I am not excited when he pulls.

Stroud getting rid of the ball quickly seems to negate that and I think we would do fine with Trent Brown.

I would give up a 4th to get 14 mil in cap space. I would ask for a 6th back.
And that is where it becomes tricky as a pre June 1st trade only frees up about 5 million. You have to do a post in June 1st trade to get the $14 m. Unlike the designated post June 1st cut, there is no designated post June 1st trade allowance as I understand. That does not rule out this type of trade but seems to push the draft picks in the trade to the following years draft. I guess there could be some understanding between the two players for the team receiving Howard to draft the player Texans won but I would think the NFL probably has something against that. My thought is team trading for Howard will understand that he will not be available to play most of 2024 if at all and so the draft picks could be delayed.

Trent Brown is more of a "gap" blocker and Tunsil ZBS imo. I am more concerned with our guards pull blocking as none seem capable. Hard to evaluate as Mason only one consistently on field and I am not excited when he pulls.

Stroud getting rid of the ball quickly seems to negate that and I think we would do fine with Trent Brown.
Agree about Mason. The reason I'm, for now, penciling Green2 in at LG is because he played in a ZBS at Illinois and reputably can pull.

Yes. Much quicker. Draws fewer penalties. Has played in the ZBS under former Texan OL coach Frank Pollard. Younger (26). Can play LT, if needed.

There you go pinching pennies, again.

I liked Jonah Williams coming out. He hasn’t lived up to his draft status. But he switched over to RT this season and has started every game the last three seasons. I think he’d be valuable veteran insurance at OT. Give him a “prove it” 1 year deal. He gets the RT job while Howard gets healthy. If he owns it then you can cut Howard next offseason and put that money toward Williams as your new RT going forward.

Yes. Much quicker. Draws fewer penalties. Has played in the ZBS under former Texan OL coach Frank Pollard. Younger (26). Can play LT, if needed.

There you go pinching pennies, again.
I'm not pinching pennies. Williams isn't worth the money he's going to get paid.
I don't know, he seemed to do pretty well when he played for the 49ers. Brown is a huge upgrade over Fant and Howard for that matter.

I don't know, he seemed to do pretty well when he played for the 49ers.
The Niners traded him to the Pats in a pick swap (3rd for Brown + 5th) because they liked Brown so much. The Pats moved Brown in a sign and trade pick swap )5th and 7th) a year later. The only thing exceptional about Brown is his size. Ryans saw him in SF. Nick dumped him after one year in Foxboro. I don't want Brown protecting my franchise QB.

The Niners traded him to the Pats in a pick swap (3rd for Brown + 5th) because they liked Brown so much. The Pats moved Brown in a sign and trade pick swap )5th and 7th) a year later. The only thing exceptional about Brown is his size. Ryans saw him in SF. Nick dumped him after one year in Foxboro. I don't want Brown protecting my franchise QB.
He was moved from the 49ers because he was going to be a FA. Same thing with the Pats. He's been a very effective starter on some very good teams. Even the starting LT on a championship team. Teams that ran a lot of ZBS. I wouldn't sign him for more than 2 years.

I liked Jonah Williams coming out. He hasn’t lived up to his draft status. But he switched over to RT this season and has started every game the last three seasons. I think he’d be valuable veteran insurance at OT. Give him a “prove it” 1 year deal.
Seeing that Williams is the best RT on the market, he will do better than that.

Let me see if this is right. Jonah Williams, a bunch of fat guys and stiffs, or a rookie. Maybe a miraculous recovery from Howard. Those are the options to protect your franchise QB at RT. Seems pretty simple to me.

Jonah Williams is a year younger than Howard and plays both tackles .... there is a RG/C/LG - Maison McCormick coming from SD JackRabbits who has a combine invite.

Seeing that Williams is the best RT on the market, he will do better than that.

Let me see if this is right. Jonah Williams, a bunch of fat guys and stiffs, or a rookie. Maybe a miraculous recovery from Howard. Those are the options to protect your franchise QB at RT. Seems pretty simple to me.
Williams isn't my #1 rated FA OT.

There's a reason the Bengals went out and got Orlando Brown to play LT and are letting Williams walk after they saw him at RT last yr.

Williams isn't my #1 rated FA OT.

There's a reason the Bengals went out and got Orlando Brown to play LT and are letting Williams walk after they saw him at RT last yr.

And there’s a reason Brown keeps getting traded. He took a massive paycut after being traded from the Raiders to re-sign with the Pats. Could be a Brandin Cooks issue where an otherwise productive player has issues with locker room/coaching staff. Productive young players don’t get traded repeatedly.

For the record, I think Onwenu is the best OT on the market and will get the largest contract when its all said and done.

And there’s a reason Brown keeps getting traded. He took a massive paycut after being traded from the Raiders to re-sign with the Pats. Could be a Brandin Cooks issue where an otherwise productive player has issues with locker room/coaching staff. Productive young players don’t get traded repeatedly.

For the record, I think Onwenu is the best OT on the market and will get the largest contract when its all said and done.

Does the board still do a mock draft with posters taking over for teams?

I recall doing this back with y'all in 2017 and it was fun, missed picks aside :D

Not to toot my own horn, but I drafted Mahomes in the second round as the Chargers. LOL

Brown is certainly the most accomplished playoff ready OT in FA. He plays for money and getting him on a short term contract should keep him motivated. I see Onwenu as an OG that can play RT.

Does the board still do a mock draft with posters taking over for teams?

I recall doing this back with y'all in 2017 and it was fun, missed picks aside :D

Not to toot my own horn, but I drafted Mahomes in the second round as the Chargers. LOL
We dont do the mock anymore because it always ended up with 2 or 3 guys making the picks in the later rds. If you want to try to renew the TT Mock draft and run it then I'm in.

The article addresses that. It seems that he was a very good player even during his injury plagued season.
I think a proven guy for 8 mil is a bargain.

For 33 mil you probably could add in FA

Wilkins
Brown
Harrison

Houston sits at 23 this year. I think our O line and secondary is the biggest things we need to address. Do I think Houston is going this route. No. I think Houston will go the WR route and I'm not that upset about it. I think Stroud with either Keon Coleman or Brian Thomas Jr will be elite. A new trio would be in Houston with Nico, Tank, and one of the two I mentioned. Keon had a total of 50 receptions with 658 receiving yards and 11 touchdowns. Brian had 68 receptions for 1177 receiving yards and 17 touchdowns. Both of them are 6'4 and around the same weight at 220. Personally I like Keon Coleman because he quick and his vert is insane. While Thomas was sitting behind Nabers. I linked both of their highlights from this year. Go Texans!!
Keon Coleman Highlights 2023
Brian Thomas Jr Highlights 2023
I don't think Coleman is a 1st rd wr. I don't see special. I think Thomas is special. His size, long speed, hands, and quickness for such a big guy. He had 18 more rec than Coleman, but almost 600 more yards.

I don't think Coleman is a 1st rd wr. I don't see special. I think Thomas is special. His size, long speed, hands, and quickness for such a big guy. He had 18 more rec than Coleman, but almost 600 more yards.
I'm going to throw my guy Oregon's Troy Franklin right there with Thomas.

Well it's hard to tell that from his stats. Am I correct in saying he was injured three times in 2023 season? I think we already have John Metchie on the team and I have not been overwhelmed with Metchie.
His ability to create separation and route running are crazy good.

I never liked the Metchie pick from jump. I didn’t understand it. Route running rah rah rah sis boom bah…. The man Can’t buy separation if he robbed a bank.

As Meatloaf once said…two out of three ain’t bad.

I never liked the Metchie pick from jump. I didn’t understand it. Route running rah rah rah sis boom bah…. The man Can’t buy separation if he robbed a bank.

As Meatloaf once said…two out of three ain’t bad.
Are you hinting that Meatloaf said that Metchie ain't ever going to leave us?

I like Franklin. He's slight kinda like Smith of Philly, but he is a vertical stretch guy.
Some sites still have him listed at about 170 but he plays at almost 190. ESPN and Sports Illustrated have him at 187 lb and maintaining 4.35 speed.
His frame is a concern but we accepted tank so. An NFL strengthening program would be a benefit. He 100% feels the deep threat that we need.

Back