Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Talk

since I made this post earlier today I just went to tankathon and see that Leggett has dropped to 3.70! I am stunned by this and have no clue as to why other than just some mocks movie players up and down the last few weeks before the draft.

Understand your point but this roster with last season's accomplishments; if we can get a Stephon Diggs in round 2 let alone 3rd, I just don't see how Ryans would not do that. Yes wide receiver is a luxury in this second day of the draft. But we see people calling for drafting Cooper or Wilson when we have three starting linebackers now. Let's not forget that To'oTo'o was doing pretty well before he was injured.
We are pretty well set at defensive tackle but we are talking about drafting Johnny Newton if they're at 42.

I don't see Legette out of round 2 and possibly going round 1 as could Cooper or Newton. This is a very unusual draft and why I called for trading down from 23 for seconds and thirds. Ryans agreed.

2.42 Newton 2.59 McKinstry 3.70 trade up for Legette and earlier in round 3 trade up for Wilson.
I wouldn't really say we have 3 starting LBs.

We're hoping To'oTo'o develops but that's far from a guarantee and he's never been an athlete anyway.

We're basically an Al-Shaair injury away from being in an absolutely awful situation.

I thought we needed LB additions last season to begin with and Al-Shaair from Cashman is a bit of a wash and we lost Perryman. This system relies heavily on LBs especially against the run - DTs are not the main run stoppers in an attack front. They have single gap and lane responsibilities that they hit and hit hard. This is not a read and react two gap system where DTs are trying to intentionally clog run gaps. LBs are supposed to be the ones cleaning up.

We absolutely need LB additions and unfortunately I genuinely think Cooper will be going in the 1st or the very top of the 2nd.

We're hoping To'oTo'o develops but that's far from a guarantee and he's never been an athlete anyway.

We're basically an Al-Shaair injury away from being in an absolutely awful situation.

I thought we needed LB additions last season to begin with and Al-Shaair from Cashman is a bit of a wash and we lost Perryman. This system relies heavily on LBs especially against the run - DTs are not the main run stoppers in an attack front. They have single gap and lane responsibilities that they hit and hit hard. This is not a read and react two gap system where DTs are trying to intentionally clog run gaps. LBs are supposed to be the ones cleaning up.

We absolutely need LB additions and unfortunately I genuinely think Cooper will be going in the 1st or the very top of the 2nd.
Depends on how you are defining "athlete ". He's old school type MLB with body to move to SLB where Ryans will play him this year.

After he was drafted in round five last year, many people were announcing him as the Mike of the future. His injury in my opinion is what led to Houston signing El-Shaair.

Interesting to know that he is listed as starter on the Texans depth chart

Every player we draft, we hope will develop. I think he is the right player for our defense. We are basically one injury away from needing a quarterback, replacement for Stingley, replacement for Tunsil, a replacement for Howard... I could go on but I think we get the message.

DTs are expected to stop the run with LBs often the Mike getting the tackles DT doesn't make. That is why everyone is so optimistic about landing Johnny Newton, Fisk or before he went stupid Sweat.

Depends on how you are defining "athlete ". He's old school type MLB with body to move to SLB where Ryans will play him this year.

After he was drafted in round five last year, many people were announcing him as the Mike of the future. His injury in my opinion is what led to Houston signing El-Shaair.

Every player we draft, we hope will develop. I think he is the right player for our defense. We are basically one injury away from needing a quarterback, replacement for Stingley, replacement for Tunsil, a replacement for Howard... I could go on but I think we get the message.

DTs are expected to stop the run with LBs often the Mike getting the tackles DT doesn't make. That is why everyone is so optimistic about landing Johnny Newton, Fisk or before he went stupid Sweat.
The reason To'oTo'o is listed as a starter is because there's no one else to list. It's either him or the LBs who are really just special teamers. He also played quite poorly last year and was benched. His injury has absolutely nothing to do with signing Al-Shaair. If you thought Ryans was happy to roll into the season with just To'oTo'o and Harris if Henry had been healthy then I don't really know what to tell you.

And yes those positions would need filling, which is exactly why we've signed backup0s for those positions...So unless you believe the guys who mostly just play special teams are adequate backups then we need a LB (or two.

You also listed Stingley and the tackles. Again you are correct which is why you'll find multiple posts in this thread and others about drafting corners and tackles.

Point is we absolutely need at least 1 LB, but I could also see them drafting 2.

The reason To'oTo'o is listed as a starter is because there's no one else to list. It's either him or the LBs who are really just special teamers. He also played quite poorly last year and was benched. His injury has absolutely nothing to do with signing Al-Shaair. If you thought Ryans was happy to roll into the season with just To'oTo'o and Harris if Henry had been healthy then I don't really know what to tell you.

And yes those positions would need filling, which is exactly why we've signed backup0s for those positions...So unless you believe the guys who mostly just play special teams are adequate backups then we need a LB (or two.

You also listed Stingley and the tackles. Again you are correct which is why you'll find multiple posts in this thread and others about drafting corners and tackles.

Point is we absolutely need at least 1 LB, but I could also see them drafting 2.
concerning TOA TOA
Your guessing it's the reason. More likely it's because they think he can hold the job down or they would have picked up another linebacker in the offseason.
Point is we will probably sign a linebacker but not as high as you think. This is just conjecture on our parts. The only way they draft two linebackers is if one of them is 6th round or later.

I'm thinking this would be a great draft, although I know it's unlikely to happen.

2. Cooper
2. Melton
3. Bishop
4. Guerrendo
4. Glover
5. Reihman after trading up.
6. Perry
Hadn't spent any time looking at RBs until now, and now paying attention only to later round prospects. Of course what stands out with Guerrero is his size and speed.

However, Kentucky's Ray Davis caught my attention. Short but stout at 5'8"/215#, he has decent speed at 4.52. But what really caught my attention: 1) One cut style runner; 2) Solid production as a receiver with 7 TDs and described as one of the more productive receivers in this class; 3) Intense blocker with quick reads and picks up his keys nicely.

He's all around well developed as a rusher, receiver and blocker.

And, oh yes, he's had back to back 1000 yd seasons with 12 rushing TDs to go with his 7 receiving TDs.

Not everyone thinks that Johnny Newton is drafted higher than us. I would jump all over these two pics!
If you told me a couple of months ago that Newton would be at 1.23, I would have been very happy. Now, I'm not sure that I wouldn't take Braden Fiske over Newton. A big part of it is the injured foot (that Newton played on for half of last season). I'm just more comfortable about Fiske being a factor this season.

I love Mike Sainristil's energy and football IQ. I'm just not comfortable taking him in the 2nd round. Sainristil really brings everything to a tackle. But I can see him bouncing off NFL RBs and the bigger WRs.

I hope Cooper goes first. I'd like Wilson to be there at 2/42.

If Too Too is a starting LB then it's imperative that they draft 2 S, one that can play nickle LB and another to replace the guy that dropped down. Too Too sucks in coverage.

I could see Caserio drafting a LB early like Cooper and a LB late like Magee

Hadn't spent any time looking at RBs until now, and now paying attention only to later round prospects. Of course what stands out with Guerrero is his size and speed.

However, Kentucky's Ray Davis caught my attention. Short but stout at 5'8"/215#, he has decent speed at 4.52. But what really caught my attention: 1) One cut style runner; 2) Solid production as a receiver with 7 TDs and described as one of the more productive receivers in this class; 3) Intense blocker with quick reads and picks up his keys nicely.

He's all around well developed as a rusher, receiver and blocker.

And, oh yes, he's had back to back 1000 yd seasons with 12 rushing TDs to go with his 7 receiving TDs.
Love Davis
Hopefully they can draft one of

Wright
Gurendo
Davis
Shipley.

What is the base defense run by Ryan. I understand it to be, basically, a 4-2-5. Then the sub-package would be 4-3-4.
Is this correct?

Reactions: JB
In a draft stacked with talented WRs and OL, it would seem remiss to not dip into that pool.
They don't have to be your premium picks but if a guy you really like is there and he is your BPA, then you should take him.
If he turns out to be an impact player, how does that hurt your team?
Let's say you suddenly have four excellent receivers on your squad, that gives you plenty of options in playmaking and possible trades down the road.
Or if it's a Tackle that looks like a starter, that adds serious depth to your line and gives you options roster wise the next off-season.

In a draft stacked with talented WRs and OL, it would seem remiss to not dip into that pool.
They don't have to be your premium picks but if a guy you really like is there and he is your BPA, then you should take him.
Let's say you suddenly have four excellent receivers on your squad, that gives you plenty of options in playmaking and possible trades down the road.
Or if it's a Tackle that looks like a starter, that adds serious depth to your line and gives you options roster wise the next off-season.
They probably will pick an OT in the 3rd or 4th rd and a WR late in the draft

4th round possibles:
Brandon Dorlus DL
Brenden Rice WR
Blake Corum RB
Jaylen Wright RB
Audrick Estime RB
Tommy Eickenbirg LB
Braelon Allen RB
Javon Foster RT/LT
Khristian Boyd DT
Sione Vaki Safety
Cole Bishop Safety
Nehemiah Pritchett CB
Ben Sinnot TE
Trevin Wallace LB
Jalen McMillan WR
Jeremiah Trotter LB
Matt Goncalves OT
Malik Washington WR
Christian Jones OT
Roger Rosengarten RT

Absolutely agree.

That said "stacked at receiver" is probably something we're going to be saying for several years worth of drafts as this seems to be a position that the college game is consistently putting out as the game has changed to much more passing attacks than what it used to be.

Absolutely agree.

That said "stacked at receiver" is probably something we're going to be saying for several years worth of drafts as this seems to be a position that the college game is consistently putting out as the game has changed to much more passing attacks than what it used to be.
True but this draft does look exceptional.
I see at least ten guys that could very reasonably turn out to be #1 or #2 receivers in this league.

I could see Caserio drafting a LB early like Cooper and a LB late like Magee
Totally agree. I could see something like that.

Although if I was a betting man I'd put $ down that Cooper goes in the 1st. If not the very top of the 2nd.
Wilson and Fiske worry me for the exact same reasons. Short arms for the position and their hype is based off combine performance which is the thing I use the least in my valuations of players and it seems like Caserio is the same with that.

Good players both but it feels like people have them graded way higher immediately after the combine and then pushed them really far up their own personal boards.

Anyone remember Adetomiwa Adebawore from last year's draft hype cycle?

Really enjoyed watching Seth Payne break down Michael Hall’s film. Would be a good fit here. Top 30 visit too…

I like him quite a lot and think he'd be a very good fit.

I feel the same about Leonard Taylor III who I know some people don't agree with but I think what he does well from this year's and last year's film fits what Demeco wants from his DTs. I'd be more than happy to snag Taylor in the 3rd or 4th round.

Wilson and Fiske worry me for the exact same reasons. Short arms for the position and their hype is based off combine performance which is the thing I use the least in my valuations of players and it seems like Caserio is the same with that.

Good players both but it feels like people have them graded way higher immediately after the combine and then pushed them really far up their own personal boards.

I the Fiske already had hype based off of his senior bowl performance. Then he just amplified because of his combine numbers.

I the Fiske already had hype based off of his senior bowl performance. Then he just amplified because of his combine numbers.
I would say the Fiske hype started with the FSU v Louisville game. He was living in the Cardinal backfield.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB

Payton Wilson was receiving good evaluations way before the season ended or the combine. He is a superstar and the only negatives mentioned for months was his history of injuries from years ago. I think that has been resolved but of course it is something to be mindful of.

Payton Wilson was receiving good evaluations way before the season ended or the combine. He is a superstar and the only negatives mentioned for months was his history of injuries from years ago. I think that has been resolved but of course it is something to be mindful of.
Yeah I should revise by saying Fiske and Wilson were rated highly.

Just the combine skyrocketed them. I'm not crapping on them just saying I don't think they're AS good as many are making out.

... just saying I don't think they're AS good as many are making out.
Addressing only Wilson, he was a 4-star recruit coming out of high school, even though he had an ACL injury.

2023, he was the ACC Defensive Player of the year; the Chuck Bednarik Award winner; and the Dick Butkus Award winner.

Yeah I should revise by saying Fiske and Wilson were rated highly.

Just the combine skyrocketed them. I'm not crapping on them just saying I don't think they're AS good as many are making out.
you were doing great until your last sentence! LOL

I like him quite a lot and think he'd be a very good fit.

I feel the same about Leonard Taylor III who I know some people don't agree with but I think what he does well from this year's and last year's film fits what Demeco wants from his DTs. I'd be more than happy to snag Taylor in the 3rd or 4th round.

Agreed. I like the traits and I have the confidence in the coaching staff to develop them. Hall in particular would have an excellent mentor in Autry. And could rotate with Foley/Settle this season while his body continues to grow and he gets stronger to take on more run defense responsibilities later in his career. But his motor runs hot and that’s what I love!

You can’t have two #1s. That would make 11.
Let's turn this up to 11.

spinaltap-11.jpg

I like Melton; he's at the top of my CBs (those who may be on the board at 59). But the CB draft is much deeper than Safety. So I'm looking at safeties Nubin/Bishop/Bullard for 2/59. And then cornerbacks Pritchett/James at 3/86.

I'm hoping Wilson falls to us at 2/42.

If Wilson isn't there at 42, well, I fell asleep last night thinking on this. With the way free agency went for us, the closest prospect to make an impact in 2024, despite his question marks, is T'Vondre Sweat.

If we take Wilson at 42 and Sweat is there at 59, I'm in a bit of a pickle. But I like small school sleeper Kristian Boyd for the DL1T position in the 4th. So I think I'm sticking with my DBs to finish out the 2nd day.

Interesting thing about this consideration, and any consideration like it, is that over the course of 3 drafts now totaling 23 chosen prospects Nick Caserio has yet to be the trigger man to select a single player outside of a Power 5 conference.

It's certainly not the end all be all in his selection process, but it's not a tiny sample size either at this point and the fact that it's batting a 1.000 in one direction over that sample size is telling at least something.

Interesting thing about this consideration, and any consideration like it, is that over the course of 3 drafts now totaling 23 chosen prospects Nick Caserio has yet to be the trigger man to select a single player outside of a Power 5 conference.
Nick did draft Tank Dell in 2023. Dell played at UH when it was in the American Athletic Conference (not a Power 5 conference). Houston switched to the Big 12 the following season.

Last edited:

It's certainly not the end all be all in his selection process, but it's not a tiny sample size either at this point and the fact that it's batting a 1.000 in one direction over that sample size is telling at least something.
Nick did draft Tank Dell in 2023. Dell played at UH was it was in the American Athletic Conference (not a Power 5 conference). Houston switched to the Big 12 the following season.
Don't know about previous years, but the Texans have had more than a few interviews with small school prospects, including T30 visits. But I'd be very surprised if the Texans selected Boyd.

I like Melton; he's at the top of my CBs (those who may be on the board at 59). But the CB draft is much deeper than Safety. So I'm looking at safeties Nubin/Bishop/Bullard for 2/59. And then cornerbacks Pritchett/James at 3/86.

I'm hoping Wilson falls to us at 2/42.

If Wilson isn't there at 42, well, I fell asleep last night thinking on this. With the way free agency went for us, the closest prospect to make an impact in 2024, despite his question marks, is T'Vondre Sweat.

If we take Wilson at 42 and Sweat is there at 59, I'm in a bit of a pickle. But I like small school sleeper Kristian Boyd for the DL1T position in the 4th. So I think I'm sticking with my DBs to finish out the 2nd day.
We're thinking alike. I just want them to add play makers. I f they don't go Melton early, I hope Stiggers is the pick in the 4th. The biggest thing for me is adding playmakers rather than just filling holes. Cooper and Wilson are these guys. My question is at 3-86 do you draft a guy like Wright or Sinnott who are real difference makers, or do you fill a hole by drafting one of the CB's you listed?

Give me Wright at 3-86. The more weapons you give Stroud the less chance you have of the offense scoring 3 points in a playoff game.

I agree in regards to the IOL having the available manpower to find three solid starters.

This team needs to select at minimum -2- OT’s b/c of Tunsil’s health, and Howard’s health plus mediocre ability. The depth isn’t anything to write home about.
I would draft an OT in the 4th and another late in the draft to develop, depending on how Zierer is developing.

Nick did draft Tank Dell in 2023. Dell played at UH when it was in the American Athletic Conference (not a Power 5 conference). Houston switched to the Big 12 the following season.
True, so the only small school guy he picked was a local guy. Notice how much better the drafts have been since Caserio started drafting SEC Big 10 guys, instead of what previous regimes did drafting small school guys like Howard and Scharping. Sure you might miss out on a few guys using this philosophy, but overall it's a sound philosophy.

I could see Ryans, Caserio drafting another small school local guy in rd 4-5. (Hunt)

Totally fair point on Tank. Oversight on me. But we're still at a 95+% on bigger school guys.

And it sheds a more interesting light on the whole Stroud/Dell recommendation angle.

Totally fair point on Tank. Oversight on me. But we're still at a 95+% on bigger school guys.
By the letter, Vanderbilt was a Power 5 school when UH wasn't. Was there ever a time over the past 50 years where Vanderbilt had a better football team than Houston? No, but that's going strictly off the definition. I can look back to one draft decision Caserio made (Sauce over Sting) that conference strength possibly came into play.

By the letter, Vanderbilt was a Power 5 school when UH wasn't. Was there ever a time over the past 50 years where Vanderbilt had a better football team than Houston? No, but that's going strictly off the definition. I can look back to one draft decision Caserio made (Sauce over Sting) that conference strength possibly came into play.

I think comparing UH and Vandy is kinda missing the overall point.

The original consideration was the odds of Caserio signing off on taking a kid from Northern Iowa. And while it's absolutely possible, I think his 3 year history has a lot more - an overwhelming amount more in fact - OSU's, Alabama's, LSU's, and other big time P5 schools than small conference directional schools. And my original point is that that doesn't look like mere coincidence.

And we may see more runs if we add a solid CB opposite Stingley. I do not see how I am going to be disappointed in this draft.
Obviously Ryans thinks Odukah and Henderson are upgrades from Nelson.

Question for the MB, if Ryans had chosen to bring back Nelson how big of a need would y'all have ranked CB?

I think comparing UH and Vandy is kinda missing the overall point.

The original consideration was the odds of Caserio signing off on taking a kid from Northern Iowa. And while it's absolutely possible, I think his 3 year history has a lot more - an overwhelming amount more in fact - OSU's, Alabama's, LSU's, and other big time P5 schools than small conference directional schools. And my original point is that that doesn't look like mere coincidence.
Isn't everyone doing that? These big schools get all, I mean ALL, of the top players out of high school. And the late bloomer they miss, now find the transfer portal and get the the big schools then. There is one prospect this year that's going in the 1st that didn't go to a big school (Quinyon Mitchell of Toledo). Is Caserio avoiding the few smaller school prospects, or are they not available when he makes the selection?

Obviously Ryans thinks Odukah and Henderson are upgrades from Nelson.

Question for the MB, if Ryans had chosen to bring back Nelson how big of a need would y'all have ranked CB?
I am not so sure that Ryans thinks that those two are better than Nelson. I think he sees the upside for longer years if either one can make progress.
A bit of "get you back " from Nick might be happening without hurting team. I am not convinced that Steven Nelson will not be back at some point. As for your last question, I do not think anyone here disregards Nelson's value but at what price at his age?

I am not so sure that Ryans thinks that those two are better than Nelson. I think he sees the upside for longer years if either one can make progress.
A bit of "get you back " from Nick might be happening without hurting team. I am not convinced that Steven Nelson will not be back at some point. As for your last question, I do not think anyone here disregards Nelson's value but at what price at his age?
If Ryans wanted Nelson on the team over Odukah/Henderson then he would be on the team. They have the cap room.

I like Nelson and think he was a decent player, but this the Texans need a CB because they lost Nelson befuddles me. They need CB depth, but Odukah is the more talented player.

What are you talking about Caserio and a get back at you attitude? Last yr he gave Nelson a raise when he didn't have too. Also what other player has Caserio exhibited this attitude with? You're right if Nelson's still available and injuries hit Nelson probably would be added to the team again. But prepare yourself for Nelson becoming an ex Texan.

Last edited:
Addressing only Wilson, he was a 4-star recruit coming out of high school, even though he had an ACL injury.

2023, he was the ACC Defensive Player of the year; the Chuck Bednarik Award winner; and the Dick Butkus Award winner.
All of which are fantastic accolades and well deserved.

Unfortunately none of which guarantee NFL success - Just look at past winners. There's great NFL players and NFL busts all mixed in there.

All of which are fantastic accolades and well deserved.

Unfortunately none of which guarantee NFL success - Just look at past winners. There's great NFL players and NFL busts all mixed in there.
True, but if you watch him play, his closing speed and instincts in both the run game and against the pass are second to none in this draft. He reminds me of Warner before Warner became Warner. It's highly unlikely he wont become an impact player rather than a bust. Only thing that will make him busty will be the injury bug. How much risk would you be willing to accept to draft a guy like Wilson? 2-42, 2-59, 3-86? None at all?

True, but if you watch him play, his closing speed and instincts in both the run game and against the pass are second to none in this draft. He reminds me of Warner before Warner became Warner. It's highly unlikely he wont become an impact player rather than a bust. Only thing that will make him busty will be the injury bug. How much risk would you be willing to accept to draft a guy like Wilson? 2-42, 2-59, 3-86? None at all?
I'd take him with any of those picks and I think he goes before pick 42 anyway. I like Wilson a lot. This is actually one of the things I hate about draft discourse is if you have any remotely discerning view of a player people act like you hate them.

All I've said is I think Cooper is better and I think people's love for Wilson corelates more to his combine performance given all the posts about him are AFTER the combine.

I'd take him with any of those picks and I think he goes before pick 42 anyway. I like Wilson a lot. This is actually one of the things I hate about draft discourse is if you have any remotely discerning view of a player people act like you hate them.

All I've said is I think Cooper is better and I think people's love for Wilson corelates more to his combine performance given all the posts about him are AFTER the combine.
I hope you didn't get this from my post. I like them both and would probably take Cooper over Wilson at 2-42, because of injury history. I've got 1A. Cooper and 1B. Wilson as my choices for 2-42.

We're just talking ball, there's nothing personal, nor did I think you didn't like Wilson. I was just giving you reasons Wilson might go before Cooper.

As far as Wilson goes I've liked his game since long before the combine. 2 yrs ago, I think it was against North Carolina when I 1st noticed him. Watch his tape against Notre Dame and North Carolina and tell me what you think.

I disagree about the read and react with the defense. Meco doesn't allow his front to just rush the QB and try to stop the run on the way. Go look at how Greenard and Anderson play the run 1st. If your dline rushes upfield and allow the ol to get on your lbs, its gonna be a long day.

Back