Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Prospects

But he is shifter.
Metchie needs to get his hands on the ball more often and that won't be easy when Nico or Tank are on the field.
That was his role in college: maybe a forgotten man until boom. The ACL and leukemia sucked a lot of vitality from him. This could be his season with no expectation that he be equal to Tank or Nico but hopefully he can replace Woods successfully.

That was his role in college: maybe a forgotten man until boom. The ACL and leukemia sucked a lot of vitality from him. This could be his season with no expectation that he be equal to Tank or Nico but hopefully he can replace Woods successfully.
DR said in his presser that he values a receiver that can create separation - Metchie was decent at that skill which is why they persist with him until they find out one way or another.

Unfortunately for Metchie, I suspect him and Tank were brought in to do the same job. And Tank was imo a superior prospect at the time of the draft as well as on the field thus far.

The trade up for Metchie was the biggest headscratcher to me of Caserio’s drafts thus far. Even picks that haven’t worked out I could see the thought process. But trading up to take a WR without premium traits who does not have WR1 upside was a head scratcher without taking into account the torn acl his final college game.

Then of course the cancer diagnosis nobody saw coming making it even harder for him to be a plus player.
it was a difficult pick for me to grasp also. I had watched John Metchie play at Alabama and he was good but not somebody that was on my horizon for the Texans. As I have with other picks over the years, I tried to defend it but kept shaking my head.
I wish him well and appreciate his backstory but it may be time soon to move on especially with all the wide receiver surplus this off season. Contract 2 seasons left makes him good lower section of 53.

Players get injured it’s part of the game. Nobody they currently have on the team is more than a low level jag at C and LG.

Howard need to move his soft ass back to RT where he at least was decent. He flat out sucked at G. Hunt is an excellent G. My post used him as an example not an endorsement. I do like him better than anyone we currently have. There is too much at stake to ignore the OL.

a couple of months ago I was super high on Fuaga but it seems he’s moved up most boards now.
Titus Howard is gathering his crutches so he can hobble back to right tackle. It may take him a few snaps to get there but the fans are rooting him onward!

Your comment reminds me of that Tide commercial where the lady tells her husband you suck at folding. He replies oh I know I do.

I still think Patrick Paul has the skill set to swing from left to right tackle and be a starter just not sure if by game one and that's if we draft him. This morning on 6:10 I heard one of the guys say that this is a deep draft with offensive tackles. I still don't understand why people think that.

DR said in his presser that he values a receiver that can create separation - Metchie was decent at that skill which is why they persist with him until they find out one way or another.
as a slot, I don't think he needs separation as much as the ability to find his spot in the middle of the field and lock into the ball. He should be able to do that now that he has his strength back, hopefully.

Titus Howard is gathering his crutches so he can hobble back to right tackle. It may take him a few snaps to get there but the fans are rooting him onward!

Your comment reminds me of that Tide commercial where the lady tells her husband you suck at folding. He replies oh I know I do.

I still think Patrick Paul has the skill set to swing from left to right tackle and be a starter just not sure if by game one and that's if we draft him. This morning on 6:10 I heard one of the guys say that this is a deep draft with offensive tackles. I still don't understand why people think that.

This is the season of the RT in the 2024 NFL Draft.

I bet they draft a wr within the first 3 rounds.

I bet they draft a wr within the first 3 rounds.
I'm putting my money on Byron Murphy @#23.
That would leave Roman Wilson or Malachi Corley @#59.
I'm keeping #85 for Braelon Allen.
That would be a very nice foundation for this draft.
Another realistic option for #59 is Kalen King CB.
That would put pressure on whether you want a WR or RB with #85.

Depressingly Accurate :hankpalm:

Unfortunately, I think Murphy will be drafted in the top 20. I love the Roman Wilson pic. I also think Kalen King is a day three pick because of his poor performance at the senior bowl.

I dont think Murphy will be there at 1-23.

Do not want King at 2-59. Give me Wilson at 2-59 if Thomas isn't the pick at 1-23. Today on 610 Ryans said WR was a priority so Thomas should be in play at 1-23.

We will know a lot more after FA, what they want to do. I think upgrading the DL is what they're going to do in FA. I wonder if there's enough FA money to sign Wilkins, Shaq Barrett, Al Shaair, Whitehead in FA. While retaining Schultz and Barnett.

it was a difficult pick for me to grasp also. I had watched John Metchie play at Alabama and he was good but not somebody that was on my horizon for the Texans. As I have with other picks over the years, I tried to defend it but kept shaking my head.
I wish him well and appreciate his backstory but it may be time soon to move on especially with all the wide receiver surplus this off season. Contract 2 seasons left makes him good lower section of 53.

Yep, I think this is a pivotal season for him. Just like it was for Nico in year 3, except expectations are lower because the team now has Nico and Tank as productive players.

I would love if he can be an upgrade over Robert Woods. If not, he needs to be a contributor on ST.

I have no idea what you mean by that

Can anyone Give Me A Reason To Expect Titus Howard to play at any point in the 2023 season? The closest player that I can find with his injury recently was Derek Newton and we all should know vividly how that turned out.

Great clip from Demeco’s press conference on what they’re looking for in a WR.

Here’s a link to a PFF article on WR stats this past season. I found it very interesting.

2024 WR Class Metrics

Prospects I’m really high on that I think would fit are: Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall, and Josh Cephus.
Yall see Tahj Washington mixed in. I'm telling yall, that dude is gonna be a problem. He would be perfect in the 4th rd. He can play inside and outside. Plus he's a hands catcher.

I can see a world where Newton is drafted in the 1st rd by Texans. He can be Collins replacement next year. He can be part of the pass rush package as a 3rd down inside pass rusher. As far as full time, you need a bigger body next to him. I would like to see what Ryans could do with Mason Smith if he's there in the 3rd rd even though he's a 1st rd talent

I dont think Murphy will be there at 1-23.

Do not want King at 2-59. Give me Wilson at 2-59 if Thomas isn't the pick at 1-23. Today on 610 Ryans said WR was a priority so Thomas should be in play at 1-23.

We will know a lot more after FA, what they want to do. I think upgrading the DL is what they're going to do in FA. I wonder if there's enough FA money to sign Wilkins, Shaq Barrett, Al Shaair, Whitehead in FA. While retaining Schultz and Barnett.
Shaq Barrett is a situational pass rusher

Great clip from Demeco’s press conference on what they’re looking for in a WR.

Here’s a link to a PFF article on WR stats this past season. I found it very interesting.

2024 WR Class Metrics

Prospects I’m really high on that I think would fit are: Ladd McConkey, Roman Wilson, Ricky Pearsall, and Josh Cephus.
Add in JaLynn Polk, Devontae Walker, Brendan Rice and Jalen McMillan.
This is a very strong and deep WR class - one of the best I have seen.
Out of your four I really like Ricky Pearsall and rank the other three just behind my group.
Bub Means is also intriguing and is going to go higher than where he is currently ranked.

Add in JaLynn Polk, Devontae Walker, Brendan Rice and Jalen McMillan.
This is a very strong and deep WR class - one of the best I have seen.
Out of your four I really like Ricky Pearsall and rank the other three just behind my group.
Bub Means is also intriguing and is going to go higher than where he is currently ranked.
I love Polk, but I don’t know if he is seen as a separator by the FO. But he’ll catch everything thrown his way. I’d be more than happy with Polk. I’d also be very happy with McMillan.

Rice is okay, but not one of the top guys that I’m looking for us.

I’ve cooled on Tez Walker since the senior bowl. He had way too many drops for my liking.

I haven’t heard of the last guy, so I’ll have to look him up.

Can anyone Give Me A Reason To Expect Titus Howard to play at any point in the 2023 season? The closest player that I can find with his injury recently was Derek Newton and we all should know vividly how that turned out.
Can you give an article or update saying he’s not good to go? I’ve searched and couldn’t find anything. If he’s out this year OT be comes a priority IMO. This draft is loaded with quality RTs That likely will be available when we pick at 23. It sure wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we went that route.

He hasn't been good in 3 years. He has 2 double digit sack seasons twice.
That's how he's similar to Jerry Hughes. The Texans got something out of Hughes as a designated pass rusher after Hughes stopped getting starter snaps. Get Barrett off the field during run downs and he can stay fresher for rushing the passer. He's been misused in Tampa the past few seasons. But I'm also talking about Hughes money, $5 million or less.

Can you give an article or update saying he’s not good to go? I’ve searched and couldn’t find anything. If he’s out this year OT be comes a priority IMO. This draft is loaded with quality RTs That likely will be available when we pick at 23. It sure wouldn’t hurt my feelings if we went that route.
Research shows + all that CloaknnnDagger has offered on this injury is enough. I say Derek Henry is our guide. No one has returned successfully to NFL. I prefer Howard be traded post June 1st to reduced his cap hit but we need to have a plan. I don't see a pure RT at 23. I'm hoping we sign Trent Brown or get a LT that may be able to hold down RT spot.

Research shows + all that CloaknnnDagger has offered on this injury is enough. I say Derek Henry is our guide. No one has returned successfully to NFL. I prefer Howard be traded post June 1st to reduced his cap hit but we need to have a plan. I don't see a pure RT at 23. I'm hoping we sign Trent Brown or get a LT that may be able to hold down RT spot.
j

research shows? What research? Has there been an official update? how you planning on trading a player who injured so bad?

You don’t think Mims, Guyton, Barton, Latham or Fautanu could be a pure RT?

That's how he's similar to Jerry Hughes. The Texans got something out of Hughes as a designated pass rusher after Hughes stopped getting starter snaps. Get Barrett off the field during run downs and he can stay fresher for rushing the passer. He's been misused in Tampa the past few seasons. But I'm also talking about Hughes money, $5 million or less.
Misused? He's has the same dc when he got 19 sacks as he did those last 3 years.

Yeah I’m keeping tabs on which receivers I like for us in which rounds. I just have a feeling we go defense in the 1st, either CB or DL.
I'm thinking they go with CB/Edge in rds 1-2. Which one they get 1st will depend on who's their at 1-23. If Latu is there at 1-23 then I hope they pick him.

What WR's do you like in the 3rd rd?

I'm thinking they go with CB/Edge in rds 1-2. Which one they get 1st will depend on who's their at 1-23. If Latu is there at 1-23 then I hope they pick him.

What WR's do you like in the 3rd rd?
Latu would be a dream, but I think he goes Top 20.

Round 3 wide receivers I could see the Texans going after are:

Jalen McMillan UW
Javon Baker UCF
Jamari Thrash Louisville
Tahj Washington USC

It’s hard because a lot of guess work goes into how you think the board will fall. I’m open minded on moving guys up or down in the board, but those guys pique my interest at the moment.

Latu would be a dream, but I think he goes Top 20.

Round 3 wide receivers I could see the Texans going after are:

Jalen McMillan UW
Javon Baker UCF
Jamari Thrash Louisville
Tahj Washington USC

It’s hard because a lot of guess work goes into how you think the board will fall. I’m open minded on moving guys up or down in the board, but those guys pique my interest at the moment.
My 3rd rd guys are Malik Washington and Pearsall

j

research shows? What research? Has there been an official update? how you planning on trading a player who injured so bad?

You don’t think Mims, Guyton, Barton, Latham or Fautanu could be a pure RT?

Many on the board have taken Cloak's very general evaluation and research as fact in a specific case.

Many on the board have taken Cloak's very general evaluation and research as fact in a specific case.
And some of us have also used our abilities to use the internet to research other studies besides what doc has provided. Again I ask someone to provide one player who has had the same type injury as Titus Howard that has returned successfully to football. Should not be that hard to do right?
I cannot believe so many of you are so blase about his injury.

And some of us have also used our abilities to use the internet to research other studies besides what doc has provided. Again I ask someone to provide one player who has had the same type injury as Titus Howard that has returned successfully to football. Should not be that hard to do right?
I cannot believe so many of you are so blase about his injury.

I am not blase, I am not a medical doctor and have no interest on playing one on a message board. Cloak at least has the background to do so. You may, but again you are NOT treating the patient.

I am not blase, I am not a medical doctor and have no interest on playing one on a message board. Cloak at least has the background to do so. You may, but again you are NOT treating the patient.
Again it does not matter what you say or I say. Go find one NFL player that's had the same surgery and return to football. Why are you evading that?

I need to post this separately so it does not come off as personal. We will start to get a picture of what the TEXANS think about Howard's long term recovery in a couple of weeks (free agency) and again by the end of April (draft). If they have questions about Howard's ability to return to football their actions will say so.

What is the EXACT surgery that Howard had?
Howard originally suffered a Grade II MCL (partial) tear of his left knee in week 6...........and was only given 3 weeks to rehab before he was allowed to return........somewhat soon for such an injury, especially for a 300# RT. It affected his play until he suffered a compensatory meniscus injury to his right knee in week 12, after which he was subsequently placed on IR Nov 30. He was taken to surgery Dec 5 at which time a meniscus repair (not excision) was performed. The outcome studies of meniscal repair related to return to play have been performed and have revealed that the majority of patients succeed to return to play at the same or similar to their preinjury level, between 4 and 6 months. The fact that he states "I am feeling pretty good" and is still rehabbing tells me that he is at the upper time table for return. Fortunately, the COVID NFL offseason delay has played to his advantage.
IIRC a poster asked @CloakNNNdagger if Tytus Howard injury was same as former Texans Derek Newton and was given an affirmative answer.
Newton went out in 2016 and tried to return but was unsuccessful.
Although as I've posted in the past, patellar tendon ruptures result in return to play in only ~50% of cases, Newton had a much lesser chance of ever returning, since he suffered a freak BILATERAL patellar tendon rupture. He suffered the rupture in 2016 (not 2026 :)) and tried to play in a 12/30/18 game with little success. He retired shortly thereafter.
Could you guesstimate based on your medical experience the odds of Titus Howard being effective 2024 at right tackle? This decision could be the most significant for the 2023 off season.
Badboy, I've posted on this question previously in the Injury Discussion thread..............and you responded to it.

[/QQUOTE

Here are some

Back