Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Prospects

Nothing in post #250 says this...I am going to the Injury discussion thread to read further

Research shows + all that CloaknnnDagger has offered on this injury is enough. I say Derek Henry is our guide. No one has returned successfully to NFL. I prefer Howard be traded post June 1st to reduced his cap hit but we need to have a plan. I don't see a pure RT at 23. I'm hoping we sign Trent Brown or get a LT that may be able to hold down RT spot.

And some of us have also used our abilities to use the internet to research other studies besides what doc has provided. Again I ask someone to provide one player who has had the same type injury as Titus Howard that has returned successfully to football. Should not be that hard to do right?
I cannot believe so many of you are so blase about his injury.

so no there is no official report? not that you don’t make good points but I remember a similar situation with Clowny Where people said he wouldn’t last two years. His injury was catastrophic yet he’s still playing what 8 to 9 years later. I’ve never been a fan of Howard’s But it will suck if he’s done. That puts a priority on OT.

Nothing in post #250 says this...I am going to the Injury discussion thread to read further
And some of us have also used our abilities to use the internet to research other studies besides what doc has provided. Again I ask someone to provide one player who has had the same type injury as Titus Howard that has returned successfully to football. Should not be that hard to do right?
I cannot believe so many of you are so blase about his injury.
There are some that have come back. Of those that have, most have had very rocky post injury careers. Here is just one article.

Torn patellar tendon no longer a career death knell?
Published: Oct 07, 2016 at 01:51 AM

Last edited:
There are some that have come back. Of those that have, most have had very rocky post injury careers. Here is just one article.

You forgot the link Doc?

so no there is no official report? not that you don’t make good points but I remember a similar situation with Clowny Where people said he wouldn’t last two years. His injury was catastrophic yet he’s still playing what 8 to 9 years later. I’ve never been a fan of Howard’s But it will suck if he’s done. That puts a priority on OT.
I do not recall anyone saying Clowney would only last 2 years but that his injury would continue to impact him severely and he should get worse rather than healing up. I think his health concerns were part of why he moved around and recent history of 1 and 2 year deals.
The 2023 injury is not Tytus Howard's first. I just don't understand the assumption by many that he will be back game one as a starter.

So there is hope... I also found this

Analyzing Lucas Niang’s patellar tendon rupture — and his potential return
1709345618036.png
The common thread when comparing each player’s recovery is at least a 10-month rehab from the date of injury to the player’s return. Here, Conklin should be viewed as the guideline when gauging Niang’s return to the field — given they play the same position and that Conklin’s injury occurred less than two months prior to Niang’s; so surgical methods were likely to be similar.
Lucas Niang played 98.3% of offensive snaps 1-07-24.

Last edited:
So there is hope... I also found this

Analyzing Lucas Niang’s patellar tendon rupture — and his potential return
View attachment 13733
The common thread when comparing each player’s recovery is at least a 10-month rehab from the date of injury to the player’s return. Here, Conklin should be viewed as the guideline when gauging Niang’s return to the field — given they play the same position and that Conklin’s injury occurred less than two months prior to Niang’s; so surgical methods were likely to be similar.
Lucas Niang played 98.3% of offensive snaps 1-07-24.
The article was from Sept 2022...no decent long term followup from injuries. It's important to see what has happened since.

Just as an aside, Conklins history has been continuous lower extremity injuries since his right patellar injury. He played with only moderate efficiency in 2022. He continued to have difficulties with that knee. Sept 2023, suffered a compensatory left ACL and MCL, leaving him seriously considering retirement this season.

Niang only played 10 offensive snaps in 2022 and only 59 offensive snaps in 2023. His performance in both years, none as a starter were pretty pathetic.

I do not recall anyone saying Clowney would only last 2 years but that his injury would continue to impact him severely and he should get worse rather than healing up. I think his health concerns were part of why he moved around and recent history of 1 and 2 year deals.
The 2023 injury is not Tytus Howard's first. I just don't understand the assumption by many that he will be back game one as a starter.

i Just asked if there were any official update. You may be right I don’t really care. It’s weird that there is no news about him at all.

Oh man you have to be kidding...it was the talk of the town for clowney's entire 1st year...everyone on eggshells waiting for the knee to give out completely.

1. talk of knee
2. lack of work ethic and effort
3. making it rain at stip clubs before even being drafted...

That was the talk of the town for the longest time.

After a week of conversations, the sense leaving Indy is that Houston will target a defensive prospect should it stay at No. 23. Several scouts told Texans Daily not to be surprised if edge rusher or cornerback were the target positions.

Two names consistently brought up in coversations were Penn State's Chop Robinson and Missouri's Darius Robinson. Neither edge rusher is a finished product, but they won't have to be early on in their careers opposite Defensive Rookie of the Year Will Anderson Jr.

Chop Robinson's on-paper production wouldn't warrant a first-round grade, but his athletic traits are too good to pass up. Despite recording 11.5 sacks during his two seasons with the Nittany Lions, his blend of speed and footwork allowed him to add pressure, thus helping other defensive linemen end the play.

Chop Robinson posted the second-fastest 40-time among edge rushers at 4.48. He also excelled with a 10-8" broad jump, the second-longest behind Houston Christian Jalyx Hunt.

Darius Robinson first caught Houston's eye with a breakout performance at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Ala. He followed that up with a less-than-ideal 4.95 40-time and 35-inch vertical.

One scout said Darius Robinson wins with power. He's not a finesse guy and will never win with swat-and-swim moves, but his low center of gravity will overpower offensive tackles, allowing him to force his way into the backfield for a potential takedown.

"He's got position flexibility to where he could shift inside on third-down passing-rushing sets," an NFC Scout said to Texans Daily. "He played defensive tackle in 2022 before shifting to the edge last offseason."

One name at cornerback to monitor is Alabma's Kool-Aid McKinstry. Despite dropping a bit in the rankings, that says on the progression of Mitchell and Alabama teammate Terrion Arnold rather than regression from McKinstry.

The Texans already have Alabama ties on the roster, including Ryans On top of that, all four of Houston's first-round picks have come from major institutions, largely due to an easier translation period.

And imagine the marketing for a second? Derek Stingley Jr. on one side and McKinstry cruising on the other? Doesn't 'Kool-Aid And Sting' sound like a buddy-cop show from the mid-2000s on TNT?

McKinstry, a three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, had to pull out of the workouts early due to a Jones fracture in his right foot but is expected to work out at Alabama's Pro Day. He broke up 23 passes and recorded two interceptions at Alabama.

All three players said during press conferences that they had formal meetings with the Texans last week. McKinstry said his interview was "very positive" as they talked more so about his background and decision to play for Nick Saban.

Other potential first-round defensive candidates include Illinois defensive tackle Johnny Newtown, Washington edge rusher Braelen Trice, Clemson cornerback Nate Wiggins, and Iowa defensive back Cooper DeJean.

So, you want the Texans to draft a wide receiver in the first round? You shouldn't since the talent in Rounds 2-4 could be just as productive at a lesser price.

The consensus around Lucas Oil Stadium was that this year's receiver class could be special. Yeah yeah, fans hear it every year, but as many as eight receivers could land within the first 32 picks.
How many could go top-50? One scout said there are at least a dozen after Saturday's workouts, including a handful of options that were considered fringe Day 2 talents.

Florida State's Keon Coleman and Oregon's Troy Franklin could potentially be trade-up candidates at No. 59 after their combine performances. Both met with Houston formally last week and seemed to have positive feedback about the team.

Georgia's Ladd McConkey might be on a shortlist of names catching Houston's eye. He was incredibly productive during his three seasons in Athens and blew scouts away with his 4.39 40 and 36-inch vertical.
Should the Texans wait until the third round, Florida's Ricky Persall and Michigan's Roman Wilson are options. Pearsall posted a 4.41 time, but his 10-9 broad jump and 6.64 three-cone drill made a stellar impression.

Wilson, whose game-tying catch helped Michigan win its first national title, is a fluid slot option that works the middle of the field thanks to his slip-and-slide moves. Last season, Houston struggled to find consistency in the slot.

Caleb Williams
Marvin Harrison Jr.
Malik Nabers
Rome Odunze
Jayden Daniels
Drake Maye
Terrion Arnold
Joe Alt
Dallas Turner
Brock Bowers
Olumuyiwa Fashanu
Taliese Fuaga
Byron Murphy
Jared Verse
Ennis Rakestraw not 1st rd grade
Brian Thomas

11 of the 16 on offense
I don’t follow Matt Miller much as I use to but it’s a starting point.

Add to it -

JC Latham
Quinyon Mitchell
Troy Fautanu
Tyler Guyton
Amarius Mimms
Laiatu Latu
Jer’Zhan Newton
Jackson Powers-Johnson
Cooper DeJean
Graham Barton

Take Rakestraw off and don’t include JJ McCarthy, even though he could wind up being 4th overall selection and I have 25 1st rd grades. Any of the ones I added would have been fine if Texans took them #23. I could have even snuck in Clemson CB Nate Wiggins but @steelbtexan would have a fit 😂

Can anyone Give Me A Reason To Expect Titus Howard to play at any point in the 2023 season? The closest player that I can find with his injury recently was Derek Newton and we all should know vividly how that turned out.
Can’t think of a reason in great rookie tackle class. There is one high second round graded OT Jordan Morgan but he’s left side, fully recovered from ACL.

Can’t think of a reason in great rookie tackle class. There is one high second round graded OT Jordan Morgan but he’s left side, fully recovered from ACL.
I wish I were as optimistic as you and many others on the quality of the right tackles available in this draft. I just don't see it. Several have recent injuries and that concerns me with what we have with our OTs now. Thanks for the reply!

I wish I were as optimistic as you and many others on the quality of the right tackles available in this draft. I just don't see it. Several have recent injuries and that concerns me with what we have with our OTs now. Thanks for the reply!
This is a stellar tackle class. QB’s are all out of whack, but that’s 👌 cause we got our’s. Really wanted Mimms, 340 lbs, fluid, great feet, could wind up being best of lot, just cause he’s raw?

You need specialized, short area corners that match up vs the Tyreek Hills and Tank Dells, otherwise susceptible to some serious gouging :firehair:
Agreed, I'm picking a guy like Melton in the late 2nd/early 3rd over Clemson trash. Melton appears to have short area quickness and is built to withstand the riggers of the NFL. Of course as you know, I'm terrible at evaluating CB's.

Agreed, I'm picking a guy like Melton in the late 2nd/early 3rd over Clemson trash. Melton appears to have short area quickness and is built to withstand the riggers of the NFL. Of course as you know, I'm terrible at evaluating CB's.
Sainristil was at Michigan not Clemson.

Q: Who do you want the Texans to get in the second, third and fourth rounds? -- @Rocket34Life via XJMA: Who do I think the Texans should get? That’s probably a better way to put it because I have no stake in it. But it depends on who is on the board when they pick. The Texans have addressed most of their major needs in free agency. The only position I think needs a starter is defensive tackle and I don’t think that position can be answered with the picks they currently have. The Texans currently have two second-round draft picks (No. 42, No. 59), one third-round pick (No. 86), two fourth-round picks (No. 123, No. 127), a sixth- (No. 188), and two sevenths (No. 238, No. 247). Other than that, the other positions the Texans should address are cornerback, wide receiver and linebacker, which need depth. I asked CBS Sports draft analyst Ryan Wilson, who lives, breathes and eats this stuff, "Who are some names at this position to watch on Day 2?" He’s someone I regularly come to for draft-related questions. Last year, he told me if C.J. Stroud was on the board when the Texans pick, he’d take him in a heartbeat. He told me he would not take Will Levis so early. And he was right.
So I trust Ryans’ judgement.

A few cornerbacks who intrigue him on Day 2 include: Georgia’s Kamari Lassiter, Missouri’s Kris Abrams-Draine, Michigan’s Mike Sainristil, and Iowa State’s T.J. Tampa.

A few wide receivers who intrigue him on Day 2 include: Washington’s Jalen McMillan, Oregon’s Troy Franklin, Western Kentucky’s Malachi Corley, Alabama’s Jermaine Burton, Michigan’s Roman Wilson and Florida’s Rick Pearsall.

Two linebackers I like are N.C. State's Payton Wilson, whose college recruitment I covered when I was in North Carolina, and Edgerrin Cooper, who played at Texas A&M and was a first-team All-American.

If they draft wr high, he has to be able to play outside too. You can manufacture a "slot" guy. CJ imo isn't going to be a let me throw inside option route type of guy

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
I don't think Roman Wilson will have a problem playing outside. He didn't at the SB. He will excel at the slot, but he's a multi-tool guy

Yep, gotta get Metchie in the game at some point - or Hutch.
We also have Schultz and Mixon.
If we can't find someone to throw to (also Brown and Woods), then we are not using guys we are paying to keep on the roster.
I doubt Woods will be on the roster and you cant trust Brown to stay healthy. This is a great WR class and this is the yr they can add a true playmaker instead of hoping guys like Metchie/Brown etc... stay healthy, which is something both of them have never been. Upgrades are needed instead of hoping these limited guys athletically can improve.

Back