Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2024 Draft Prospects

I’d trade up for him as well. He’s going to beat the record for yards by a TE this year. The record was over a 4 year period and Bowers will beat it in 3. He’s a generational player that would be an excellent piece for Stroud in this offense.
I'm just curious, have you seen him run inside routes like jerk routes and such? I ask this just like I asked about Washington last year. If all you are is a seam route te, then it's like a pitcher who only has a fastball. I like his speed on TV, but can he drop his hips and run a jerk or shake route. What made Pitts such a high pick was because he's 6'6 and runs routes like a wr and in college, he was the alpha.

I'm just curious, have you seen him run inside routes like jerk routes and such? I ask this just like I asked about Washington last year. If all you are is a seam route te, then it's like a pitcher who only has a fastball. I like his speed on TV, but can he drop his hips and run a jerk or shake route. What made Pitts such a high pick was because he's 6'6 and runs routes like a wr and in college, he was the alpha.
Smart doesn't use his TE's that way. But Bowers certainly has the athletic ability to do this. He can sink his hips and get in and out of his breaks as good as most TE prospects that I've seen. I really wanted Caserio to pick Washington in the 3rd last yr and Bowers in the 1st this yr. This would give them one of the top young TE duo's in the NFL for the next decade. As you saw their skillsets at the TE position mesh well together.

I envisioned Stroud/Pierce/Washington/Bowers/Drafting Nabers or Egbuka and Collins/Dell. Weapons for Stroud to grow with. Of course by some miracle MHJ is available when the Texans pick then you thank your lucky stars.

Last edited:
Smart doesn't use his TE's that way. But Bowers certainly has the athletic ability to do this. He can sink his hips and get in and out of his breaks as good as most TE prospects that I've seen. I really wanted Caserio to pick Washington in the 3rd last yr and Bowers in the 1st this yr. This would give them one of the top young TE duo's in the NFL for the next decade. As you saw their skillsets at the TE position mesh well together.

I envisioned Stroud/Pierce/Washington/Bowers/Drafting Nabers or Egbuka and Dell. Weapons for Stroud to grow with. Of course by some miracle MHJ is available when the Texans pick then you thank your lucky stars.
I like Bowers, I just said I don't think I would move up alot of spots for him when they can sit there and take wr. Schultz might prove good enough as did Engram last year with Jacksonville.

I like Bowers, I just said I don't think I would move up alot of spots for him when they can sit there and take wr. Schultz might prove good enough as did Engram last year with Jacksonville.
I certainly respect this line of thinking. But the teams with Kittle/Kelce etc... seem to have the most effective offenses, particularly in a WCO.

Check out Daniel Kelly's eval former NYJ scout whose worked with Parcells and Belichick. His eval and mine are similar. Daniel Kelly editor in chief for First Round Mock. Since I dont do links.

Bowers is the real deal with room to grow.

My four dream choices for the Texans next year if they aren't in position to draft Williams or Maye are

MHJ
Bowers
Jared Verse
Dallas Turner

Just for fun, what position do you anticipate will be the most in need of an upgrade?

I will confess to being a little myopic in that I've been focused on the offense. My guess is that Houston's first pick will be an offensive lineman.

@JB ?

Just for fun, what position do you anticipate will be the most in need of an upgrade?

I will confess to being a little myopic in that I've been focused on the offense. My guess is that Houston's first pick will be an offensive lineman.

@JB ?
I'm hoping that this is the year that they can finally go best player available regardless of position

I certainly respect this line of thinking. But the teams with Kittle/Kelce etc... seem to have the most effective offenses, particularly in a WCO.
3rd and 5th rd picks who were ex qbs. Kelce nor Kittles really out run people, but their shiftiness is what sets them apart. Jimmy Graham in his prime won because he was an ex basketball player as was Gates and Gonzales. The speed type of te I remember was Vernon Davis.

Raymond Chester back in the day was really fast. Winslow Sr. Was like Graham only faster. Engram was fast coming out of college.

I'm hoping that this is the year that they can finally go best player available regardless of position
If they had done this to begin with with no constraints on who they could pick, they wouldn't be in the position they're in today.

Good thing I dont take what you think to heart.
It's a good thing other members don't follow your example. We would have no camp updates, no info on cuts or trades, no youtube videos. No links to stories on the team. Just posters pulling often erroneous info out of their rear.

It's a good thing other members don't follow your example. We would have no camp updates, no info on cuts or trades, no youtube videos. No links to stories on the team. Just posters pulling often erroneous info out of their rear.
Good thing all posters aren't like you.

Never admit they're wrong.

Way too early? Of course. But let's post some prospects we're keeping an eye on. Obviously, the OSU WRs are projected to be great. I'm interested in seeing how Johnny Wilson from FSU develops. He's huge at 6'7" and 235 lbs, appears to have good (not great) speed, strong hands, wide catch radius, decent agility, and he's difficult to bring down:

Love this kid. We'll have no shot at Harrison Jr. but Wilson is who I'd want to target for next year.

Love this kid. We'll have no shot at Harrison Jr. but Wilson is who I'd want to target for next year.

Don’t forget, the Texans shot at Harrison Jr rests solely on the shoulders of the Browns and the continued growth of RD1 QB’s in the 2024 NFL Draft.

I'm liking RB Blake Corum as a potential 2nd or 3rd round pick. He reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew.

I'd love for them to pick up WR Luke McCaffrey in the 4th or 5th. He's tough and I think would be a sound posession receiver.
Corum is likely going to be a very good RB in this league.
He was talked about being top 2 or 3 in last year's strong RB class.
I would be shocked if he fell out of the second round in this one.

I'm liking RB Blake Corum as a potential 2nd or 3rd round pick. He reminds me of Maurice Jones-Drew.

I'd love for them to pick up WR Luke McCaffrey in the 4th or 5th. He's tough and I think would be a sound posession receiver.
I'm liking Bucky Irving, reminds me a lot of Pacheco. Draft Irving in the 3rd and sign Edwards-Helaire and McKinnon for a total of 4-5 mil and you basically have the Chiefs backfield on the cheap.

I’m keeping my focus on RB- Jaylan Wright (Tennessee). He should be there in RD4, but won’t be on the board come RD7. Get Singletary re-signed and add Wright. As I mentioned in another thread, trade Pierce or package him a trade. Texans could probably add a serviceable backup RB in free agency.

I’m keeping my focus on RB- Jaylan Wright (Tennessee). He should be there in RD4, but won’t be on the board come RD7. Get Singletary re-signed and add Wright. As I mentioned in another thread, trade Pierce or package him a trade. Texans could probably add a serviceable backup RB in free agency.
This is the route I would go

I agree with this plan if Wright is there when we pick in the 4th at 123 (or 127). The FA RB I would like to see is Cam Akers, he is still young and should be affordable. I would be good with D'Andre Swift as well, but I think he will command a higher price.
Singletary, Wright and Akers/Swift.

Not me man. I want this running game dramatically improved.

Prior to Nick Caserio's first draft as Texans GM in 2021, I posted a thread trying to identify the types of prospects that New England drafted during Nick's tenure as Patriots Director of player personnel. Here's the post on RBs drafted.

Running Backs drafted by New England from 2011-2020:

2011 2nd Round Shane Vereen California 5'10" 210 lbs 4.49 (40), 34" VJ, 6.95 3-cone
2011 3rd Round Stevan Ridley LSU 5'11 225 lbs 4.65 (40), 36" VJ, 6.78 3-cone
2014 4th Round James White Wisconsin 5'9" 204 lbs 4.57 (40), 32 VJ, 7.05 3-cone
2018 1st Round Sony Michel Georgia 5'10" 214 lbs 4.54 (40), No VJ, No 3-cone
2019 3rd Round Damien Harris Alabama 5'10" 216" 4.57 (40), 37" VJ, No 3-cone

Average Ht: 70"
Average Wt: 214 lbs
Average 40: 4.56
Average VJ: 35"
Average 3-cone: 6.92

Short, squatty RBs have been exclusive with the Pats the past decade. More interested in short area quickness than long speed. Receiving ability has been high on the Patriot's checklist for RBs.

Fast forward to the 2022 draft and the Texans select the only RB Nick has drafted in his 3 years here.

Dameon Pierce
Ht: 70"
Wt: 218 lbs
40 time: 4.59
VJ: 34.5"

So we kinda know what an ideal RB looks like for Caserio. Short, squatty backs, quicker than fast. What about DeMeco? I doubt Ryans was involved much in scouting RBs during his time with the Niners. His prototype RB probably comes from his playing days. Specifically playing with Arian Foster. Over 6 ft, 220ish lbs., great vision, good receiver. Is there an Arian Foster in this draft? Don't say it here. send an encrypted message to Caserio. Among the FAs, Barkley would best fit that type.

Are there guys in the draft that Nick would like? Plenty. Blake Corum, Ray Davis, small college 3rd down back Dylan Laube. How about Frank Gore, Jr. And others. Should be an interesting combine for the Texans.

Prior to Nick Caserio's first draft as Texans GM in 2021, I posted a thread trying to identify the types of prospects that New England drafted during Nick's tenure as Patriots Director of player personnel. Here's the post on RBs drafted.

Fast forward to the 2022 draft and the Texans select the only RB Nick has drafted in his 3 years here.

Dameon Pierce
Ht: 70"
Wt: 218 lbs
40 time: 4.59
VJ: 34.5"

So we kinda know what an ideal RB looks like for Caserio. Short, squatty backs, quicker than fast. What about DeMeco? I doubt Ryans was involved much in scouting RBs during his time with the Niners. His prototype RB probably comes from his playing days. Specifically playing with Arian Foster. Over 6 ft, 220ish lbs., great vision, good receiver. Is there an Arian Foster in this draft? Don't say it here. send an encrypted message to Caserio. Among the FAs, Barkley would best fit that type.

Are there guys in the draft that Nick would like? Plenty. Blake Corum, Ray Davis, small college 3rd down back Dylan Laube. How about Frank Gore, Jr. And others. Should be an interesting combine for the Texans.
If we add a RB in FA then I think we only add another in the 7th round or UDFA.

I like Frank Gore Jr for one of our 7ths. One of the draft analysts I listen to (can’t remember which one) said that Gore’s pass protection is the best in the draft. Could Slowik scheme some option plays with him? It’ll be a very interesting draft season for sure.

If we add a RB in FA then I think we only add another in the 7th round or UDFA.

I like Frank Gore Jr for one of our 7ths. One of the draft analysts I listen to (can’t remember which one) said that Gore’s pass protection is the best in the draft. Could Slowik scheme some option plays with him? It’ll be a very interesting draft season for sure.
I think we could all be in for some surprises this off season. I would not be shocked to see Nick Caserio bringing in both Barkley and Derrick Henry due to the age of the latter and health of the former.

I see no problem with bringing in Evans and Barkley - hell why not Madubuike as well!
It can easily be done.

I think we could all be in for some surprises this off season. I would not be shocked to see Nick Caserio bringing in both Barkley and Derrick Henry due to the age of the latter and health of the former.
That doesn't make alot of cents. Why tie up soo much money on rb position when the last 6 sb winners have won with cheap guys. I can see Henry and a draft pick. Dare probably can stay because of teams. Henry on a 2yr deal, draft a rb in the 3rd or 4th.

That doesn't make alot of cents. Why tie up soo much money on rb position when the last 6 sb winners have won with cheap guys. I can see Henry and a draft pick. Dare probably can stay because of teams. Henry on a 2yr deal, draft a rb in the 3rd or 4th.
if Henry loses his productivity due to his age or if he's injured again that leaves us with absolutely nothing and I don't want to go that direction again. Not saying we have to have both I agree that it's not likely.

I wouldn’t bring in both Henry and Barkley. I’d be okay signing one of them or Jacobs. I’d also attached a fair amount of production incentives just in case they miss several games due to injury.

I want the run game to improve so it compliments or passing game with Stroud. Finding out which direction NC goes will be interesting. He’s been pretty good about not tying up a lot of $, but I do believe we will spend this offseason.

I think the main positions we will target in FA will be DL, LB, and RB.

Reactions: JB
if Henry loses his productivity due to his age or if he's injured again that leaves us with absolutely nothing and I don't want to go that direction again. Not saying we have to have both I agree that it's not likely.
That's why there is a draft. KC spent a 1st rd pick in CEH then a late rd pick on Pacheko along with the cheap signing of McKinnon. Rb is one of the few positions that you can get instant results from. Kareem Hunt led the nfl in rushing and yards as a rookie. Nick Chubb has been a beast since day 1. Etienne got hurt and missed his entire rookie year, but has been very,very productive. The Texans can draft 2 backs and go young as far as I can see or sign Henry and draft one in the 3rd or 4th rd like the Titans did with Spears. Chanced are you're not going to sign 2 aging rbs and tie up 18m in that position. Not only that, they probably don't want to split carries like that. Texans were 60/40 pass to run ratio. The Titans and Texans had the same number of rush attempts

Sign guys like Swift and Singletary, then draft a guy late like Gore Jr or Guerendo in the 7th.

What I really would like is to see Swift in FA, draft Ray Davis in the 4th and then draft Gore/Guerendo.

That's why there is a draft. KC spent a 1st rd pick in CEH then a late rd pick on Pacheko along with the cheap signing of McKinnon. Rb is one of the few positions that you can get instant results from. Kareem Hunt led the nfl in rushing and yards as a rookie. Nick Chubb has been a beast since day 1. Etienne got hurt and missed his entire rookie year, but has been very,very productive. The Texans can draft 2 backs and go young as far as I can see or sign Henry and draft one in the 3rd or 4th rd like the Titans did with Spears. Chanced are you're not going to sign 2 aging rbs and tie up 18m in that position. Not only that, they probably don't want to split carries like that. Texans were 60/40 pass to run ratio. The Titans and Texans had the same number of rush attempts
I suggested signing CEH/McKinnon in FA on the cheap and drafting Irving or Davis. Posters thought I was nuts. But if going this route allowed Caserio to sign Wilkins/Sneed/Gay in FA then I would go cheap at RB everyday and twice on Sunday's. I figure you can sign these guys for around 38 mil.

I suggested signing CEH/McKinnon in FA on the cheap
Not interested in Edwards-Helaire. Remember the Barkley conversation about RBs falling off a cliff at 27? I replied that some fall off before 27. Look at Edwards-Helaire's career numbers. That's exactly what I was talking about. He's regressed each year from a solid rookie season.

McKinnon? Once a solid 3rd down back. Nothing left at age 32.

Not interested in Edwards-Helaire. Remember the Barkley conversation about RBs falling off a cliff at 27? I replied that some fall off before 27. Look at Edwards-Helaire's career numbers. That's exactly what I was talking about. He's regressed each year from a solid rookie season.

McKinnon? Once a solid 3rd down back. Nothing left at age 32.
CEH has gotten less carries as Pacheco has taken hold of the RB spot. He's got a lot of tread left on the tires. McKinnon was activated for the SB for a reason. Basically you're getting the Chiefs RB room and hoping you draft Pacheco. I see Ray Davis and Irving as Pacheco type RB's in this draft.

The Chiefs no longer want that RB room. So why do you want the Texans to take their hand-me-downs?
The Chiefs are letting guys go left and right because they're way over the cap, not because of talent.

Because I'm drafting my lead RB and these guys are solid backups. They also help save money so that the DL/LB/S positions can be addressed in FA.

Example: would you rather be able to sign Sneed/Gay and a S like Whitehead if you went with Draft pick/CEH/McKinnon. Or would you rather have Barkley and Sneed?

Last edited:
Sign guys like Swift and Singletary, then draft a guy late like Gore Jr or Guerendo in the 7th.

What I really would like is to see Swift in FA, draft Ray Davis in the 4th and then draft Gore/Guerendo.
I think Guerendo will go earlier. I’ve heard multiple analysts say that the Shanahan tree coaches have been all over him. My guess is 4-5th round.

Back