Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity
I dont want them to do this but

1-2 Anderson
1-12 Hyatt
2-33 Ika

Have Demeco bring with him from San Fran in FA

Omenihu/Al- Shaair/Ward

The defense would be much improved, but the team would still be bad because they cant score enough points, but hey, is that a bad thing?
Hyatt at 12 would be a reach of massive proportions; between the injury, his age, and the style of offense he runs, he is nowhere near worth the 12th pick.

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Hyatt at 12 would be a reach of massive proportions; between the injury, his age, and the style of offense he runs, he is nowhere near worth the 12th pick.
You may be confusing Hyatt, the Tennessee WR, with Hooker, the Vol's QB.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
Oh, he was jocking Jimmy G again. I can't imagine someone happier than @steelbtexan seeing Garoppolo in a Texan uniform.
Well, I know he is injury prone but he has to be an upgrade over Mills at this point but I wouldn't want to give up a first for him - or a high second for that matter.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
If he's there at #33, he would be a choice pick.
There is a chance Texans ignore WR this draft if Metchie looks ready. If not, maybe Cooks will stay with a HC he likes.
We can always look for someone decent in fa.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I have my own rankings. Hyatt is my #1 WR.

I wasn't aware of Hyatt having an injury history.

Great hands and world class speed with a lot of wiggle. Hyatt may need to get stronger to be able to consistently beat the press coverage. But that can easily get stronger through professional S&C. He's got the body type for it.

Last edited:

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Well, I know he is injury prone but he has to be an upgrade over Mills at this point but I wouldn't want to give up a first for him - or a high second for that matter.
Jimmy's a free agent once the new league year starts on March 15th.

Xopher

Rookie

Great hand and world class speed with a lot of wiggle. Hyatt may need to get stronger to be able to consistently beat the press coverage. But that can easily get stronger through professional S&C. He's got the body type for it.
He might be your #1 but he is not anyone else's. Why would you use 12 on him when you can get him at 33?

Lucky

Ride, Captain, Ride!
Staff member
Hyatt will be available in the second possibly the 3rd. At 12 he is a massive overreach and yes I am talking about the WR
#12 seems high for Hyatt. But not as ridiculous as him going in the 3rd. I don't know if Hyatt is a lock for the 1st round. But he's certainly comparable to guys like Jameson Williams and Jahan Dotson, who both went in the 1st last year.

Xopher

Rookie
#12 seems high for Hyatt. But not as ridiculous as him going in the 3rd. I don't know if Hyatt is a lock for the 1st round. But he's certainly comparable to guys like Jameson Williams and Jahan Dotson, who both went in the 1st last year.
I'm just looking at mocks I have seen. I think he is a lock for the 2nd, but I have seen a few with him going the top of the 3rd. I think it is absurd too. I think there are better WR choices at 12. I wouldn't take him there. I would not be shocked if someone like KC grabs him late in the 1st though.

Errant Hothy

Hypermediocrity

Great hand and world class speed with a lot of wiggle. Hyatt may need to get stronger to be able to consistently beat the press coverage. But that can easily get stronger through professional S&C. He's got the body type for it.
this is why I shouldn’t open my mouth before waking up and consuming coffee

Yes, I did indeed read Hyatt as Hooker. Ugh, my apologies.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm just looking at mocks I have seen. I think he is a lock for the 2nd, but I have seen a few with him going the top of the 3rd. I think it is absurd too. I think there are better WR choices at 12. I wouldn't take him there. I would not be shocked if someone like KC grabs him late in the 1st though.
Caserio needs to add difference makers. This guy being on the field spreads the defense. Right off of the bat he can do this. Give me a guy with world class speed and really good hands and the coaches should be able to teach him how to beat a jam. He's seems to already be able to get in and out of his breaks fairly fluidly. The new coaches would have a very talented ball of clay to mold. You probably could trade down 5 spots and get him, but I wouldn't take the chance.

BullRushTX

To'oTo'o A'go-go
Caserio needs to add difference makers. This guy being on the field spreads the defense. Right off of the bat he can do this. Give me a guy with world class speed and really good hands and the coaches should be able to teach him how to beat a jam. He's seems to already be able to get in and out of his breaks fairly fluidly. The new coaches would have a very talented ball of clay to mold. You probably could trade down 5 spots and get him, but I wouldn't take the chance.
One thing I really like about him is how he controls his speed in routes to bait the defender and then blow past them.

vtech9

All Pro
Exactly

Either Carter or Anderson.

Even though I want this to be an offense heavy draft, if you told me I could draft Carter and Wilson (Give me Carter) at 1-2 and Wilson at 1-12 sign me up for that all day everyday.

Then draft a guy like

2-32 Rice
2-37 Achane
3-64 Van Ness
3-75 Aila
4-103 Musgrave

You think these 4 players aren't difference makers that a when added to signing a center like Bradbury and a QB like Jimmy G wouldn't really improve this team? And trading down for a 2023 2nd and a 2024 1st in addition to these 4 guys? Sign me up.
I'd go Carter with 1.2, and I could go several ways with the 1.12. With the 1.12, I'd be good with Tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy, or Quentin Johnston. If they are gone, I'd look to trade down and get BJ Ojulari, Trenton Simpson, or Andre Carter II. I like the trade down option to get extra picks in '24 to use to trade up (if necessary) to get one of the QB's.

I'm not sure how you got pick 2.37, but I'm good with Rashee Rice at 2.33. With picks 3.65 and 3.73, I'm trying to get my Center, and either a TE or an OG. I'll try to get Achane in the 4th. If Achane isn't there in the 4th, I'll look at getting Roschon Johnson or TCU's Kendre Miller. I might also try to get USC RB Travis Dye in the 6th to add some RB depth.

vtech9

All Pro
Injury is a thing. But there's also the thing about getting hit. I admire David Carr inasmuch as I think he's one of the toughest dudes to ever play the game. Two & a half years, imo, before he checked out.

I'd be surprised if someone Young's size will be able to take "leading the league" in QB hits for very long. I mean it's possible he won't get hit often behind our OL, hadn't worked out for anyone else in Houston but why not? & it's possible he won't lose his grit.

I just don't think it's worth the gamble.

But this is the way I look at it. Would I be upset if Indy drafts Young? Eh... maybe. But not as mad as I'd be if they drafted Stroud. So if I had my rathers...
I'm almost hoping Indy trades for #1 and drafts Young...after they sign Eric Bieniemy as their HC.

badboy

Hall of Fame
I like Christian Gonzalez better, but I wouldn't be mad at either one.
I like Gonzalez a lot. How do you compare him to Chase Brown's brother Sydney? He a favorite of mine.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'd go Carter with 1.2, and I could go several ways with the 1.12. With the 1.12, I'd be good with Tyree Wilson, Myles Murphy, or Quentin Johnston. If they are gone, I'd look to trade down and get BJ Ojulari, Trenton Simpson, or Andre Carter II. I like the trade down option to get extra picks in '24 to use to trade up (if necessary) to get one of the QB's.

I'm not sure how you got pick 2.37, but I'm good with Rashee Rice at 2.33. With picks 3.65 and 3.73, I'm trying to get my Center, and either a TE or an OG. I'll try to get Achane in the 4th. If Achane isn't there in the 4th, I'll look at getting Roschon Johnson or TCU's Kendre Miller. I might also try to get USC RB Travis Dye in the 6th to add some RB depth.
Trading Cooks and pick 3-75. I messed up Van Ness wont be there at 3-64 , so I'm picking Avila at 3-64.

Texansphan

Football connoisseur
I like Christian Gonzalez better, but I wouldn't be mad at either one.
There is a big chance we go CB at 1
#12 as a couple of very good ones available there.
Carstereo could fool everybody and go Carter or Anderson at #2, and CB at #12 just because a really good one will be there.
It would be hard to pass one up but we got Stingley last draft so that might be a factor.
One could make a good argument about WR too because we have Metchie waiting in the wings.
It would make sense to either trade #12, or take a QB there.
The other sensible option would be to take either Peter Skoronski/Paris Johnson there - move Howard to LG.

vtech9

All Pro
I like Gonzalez a lot. How do you compare him to Chase Brown's brother Sydney? He a favorite of mine.

They're different players. Gonzalez is a CB, and Sydney Brown is a safety. Gonzalez is listed at 6'-2" & 4.32 40. Brown is listed at 6'-0" with a 4.45 40. Gonzalez is going to be one of the top CB's taken in the first round, and Brown is expected to be a late round draft pick, and could go undrafted. Brown had a good statistical season this year with 6 INT's, but he got most of his interceptions because Illinois played some bad QB's that threw the ball right to him. Brown's play this year reminded me of Pitre, but over his college career, he's been really inconsistent. I haven't looked at his play from his 1st four years at Illinois, but I know opposing QB's had a 90+ QBR against him for at least two of those seasons. If he can be as good in the NFL as he was his 5th year, then I might take a flyer on him. I just wouldn't use anything other than a late round pick on him, because I don't know which Brown he'll be.

vtech9

All Pro
There is a big chance we go CB at 1
#12 as a couple of very good ones available there.
Carstereo could fool everybody and go Carter or Anderson at #2, and CB at #12 just because a really good one will be there.
It would be hard to pass one up but we got Stingley last draft so that might be a factor.
One could make a good argument about WR too because we have Metchie waiting in the wings.
It would make sense to either trade #12, or take a QB there.
The other sensible option would be to take either Peter Skoronski/Paris Johnson there - move Howard to LG.
Drafting a CB at 1.12 wouldn't be a bad thing. Yes, we have Stingley, but how long will we have Nelson. We could do much worse than have two young stud CB's for several years.

I like WR Rashee Rice in the 2nd round, but I wouldn't be mad at Quentin Johnston at 1.12 either.

I would leave Howard at RT, but Paris Johnson could be a good choice at OG. Skoronski could be a good swing tackle, but we would still need an OG and a Center. I think we can get one of the best Center's in the 3rd round though.

I'll pass on a 1st round QB. I'd rather take a flyer on Haener or Tune in the 5th round. Haener throws a really good fastball, and I can see him being better on short and intermediate throws than Young, and may be better on long throws. Tune needs work to be consistent, but throws a better deep ball than Young. Tune's issue is that he is overconfident in his abilities, and can get in trouble.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Drafting a CB at 1.12 wouldn't be a bad thing. Yes, we have Stingley, but how long will we have Nelson. We could do much worse than have two young stud CB's for several years.

I like WR Rashee Rice in the 2nd round, but I wouldn't be mad at Quentin Johnston at 1.12 either.

I would leave Howard at RT, but Paris Johnson could be a good choice at OG. Skoronski could be a good swing tackle, but we would still need an OG and a Center. I think we can get one of the best Center's in the 3rd round though.

I'll pass on a 1st round QB. I'd rather take a flyer on Haener or Tune in the 5th round. Haener throws a really good fastball, and I can see him being better on short and intermediate throws than Young, and may be better on long throws. Tune needs work to be consistent, but throws a better deep ball than Young. Tune's issue is that he is overconfident in his abilities, and can get in trouble.
I dont see enough guys in this that put the fear of god in defenses and are threats to score everytime they touch the ball. Love the center in the 3rd pick.

I want Howard to stay at RT and Cann at RG, add a FA C and draft a guy in the 3rd that can play C/OG, so there will be no more McCray playing when one of the IOL goes down.

vtech9

All Pro
I dont see enough guys in this that put the fear of god in defenses and are threats to score everytime they touch the ball. Love the center in the 3rd pick.

I want Howard to stay at RT and Cann at RG, add a FA C and draft a guy in the 3rd that can play C/OG, so there will be no more McCray playing when one of the IOL goes down.
I don't mind keeping Cann for a season, but only if he's a backup. I want someone better.

TheRealJoker

Hall of Fame

A lot comes down to the HC hire. If they bring in a coach that favors ZBS from the gap Warhop OL then it will effect who the team needs to target.

Texian

Hall of Fame

Drafting a guy in the 3rd to provide competition and depth would be smart.
It's all about the OL and DL. The one common denominator with the 4 teams playing Championship weekend is they have the best OL and DLs. This is why in your first 2 years of rebuilding you focus on the OL and DL. You build from the inside out. You don't trade away draft picks to move up for a WR. Once you have your Lines in place then it is time to bring in your skilled players. For the last 2 years, the Texans have gone about this bassackwards. The Texans' approach has pretty much assured the team of another 5 years of rebuilding.

Thorn

Dirty Old Man
It's all about the OL and DL. The one common denominator with the 4 teams playing Championship weekend is they have the best OL and DLs. This is why in your first 2 years of rebuilding you focus on the OL and DL. You build from the inside out. You don't trade away draft picks to move up for a WR. Once you have your Lines in place then it is time to bring in your skilled players. For the last 2 years, the Texans have gone about this bassackwards. The Texans' approach has pretty much assured the team of another 5 years of rebuilding.
Couldn't agree more, I've said this many times. When rebuilding, you rebuild from the inside out. Otherwise you can end up with a mess, sometimes with talented players on offense who can't do crap because the O line can't help them.

As to the defensive line, that's pretty obvious.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Agreed

You checked out my mock draft last year. Initially I wanted.

Neal
Davis
Williams
Pickens.

I'm a trenches 1st guy.

Then I switched over to Sauce when it became obvious they weren't going to pick Neal.

This year I hope they spend draft capital on offense including the ol and fa money on defense. Although I do like some of the edges in this draft and Mazi Smith alot.

justmy2cents

All Pro
Contributor's Club
Agreed

You checked out my mock draft last year. Initially I wanted.

Neal
Davis
Williams
Pickens.

I'm a trenches 1st guy.

Then I switched over to Sauce when it became obvious they weren't going to pick Neal.

This year I hope they spend draft capital on offense including the ol and fa money on defense. Although I do like some of the edges in this draft and Mazi Smith alot.

Have you searched available linemen .... Slim Pickens .... saw him play an "intelligent" role on a western the other night - actually did a surprisingly good job !

Last edited:

Double Barrel

Texans Talk Admin
Staff member
Contributor's Club
This all day every day. I'd actually start getting optimistic in the Texans if they heavily invested in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You control the trenches, you control the game.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Attaching any kind of importance to mock drafts is ridiculous. They rarely get the top 5 picks correct much less than 2nd round and later. Mock drafts are merely mental masturbation for football fans.

DocBar

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Are you saying Young is lying when he says otherwise? Why would you go with "reports", which is nothing but conjecture and guesswork, rather than the player's word? Anyways we'll see in about a month.
Remember Hakeem Olojuwon? Listed as a 7'er but was actually 6'10" and some change. You are correct. We will see soon enough. It's his frame that I worry about more than height, though.

Last edited: