Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Called it a while back. Bryce Young at #2. Finally get a qb who doesn’t overthrow his receivers
I don’t givadam. I’ll be upset if the Texans draft him with the #2 overall pick.

I will root for the little fella.

I will not critique his game, unless he starts playing scared (think David Carr from year 3 on). But if he gets hurt (like Stingley) I’ll continue to rant against Nick Casterio.

I don’t givadam. I’ll be upset if the Texans draft him with the #2 overall pick.

I will root for the little fella.

I will not critique his game, unless he starts playing scared (think David Carr from year 3 on). But if he gets hurt (like Stingley) I’ll continue to rant against Nick Casterio.

Will we critique him for injury the same way we would a 6'4 230 qb? Injuries happen. Every critic will say he's nostradamus the second BY is hurt.

I don't think BY could've played 20 years ago long term. Rules being what they are now, I think he can.

Will we critique him for injury the same way we would a 6'4 230 qb? Injuries happen. Every critic will say he's nostradamus the second BY is hurt.

I don't think BY could've played 20 years ago long term. Rules being what they are now, I think he can.

Well, somebody this year is fixing to find that out. LOL

Assuming BY is the pick, I'll take an avatar bet.
LOL! That reminds me of a similar bet I made with the whole board (I think it was this board or the Texans fan board) several years ago. The bet was whether or not the Texans would draft Reggie Bush with the 1st pick. I ended up betting most of the board that they would not take Bush & they didn't. The winners would then get to change the monikers (name) of the losers (and there were a lot of losers. lol). After the draft, a significant number of the members on the losing side suddenly cried wolf & said they didn't realize they were making a bet. It ended up being more trouble than it was worth, so I asked the moderator to close the thread. Ironically, my reasons for not believing in Bush were that he couldn't/wouldn't run between the tackles due to the pounding he would take. And now, we have Young who I don't feel will be able to hold up under the pounding of the NFL as a starting QB. I won't take the bet you're proposing, but I would be willing to bet my avatar with you that if Stroud is off the board & both Young & Anderson are still there at #2, the Texans will either draft Anderson or trade down from the #2 pick.

LOL! That reminds me of a similar bet I made with the whole board (I think it was this board or the Texans fan board) several years ago. The bet was whether or not the Texans would draft Reggie Bush with the 1st pick. I ended up betting most of the board that they would not take Bush & they didn't. The winners would then get to change the monikers (name) of the losers (and there were a lot of losers. lol). After the draft, a significant number of the members on the losing side suddenly cried wolf & said they didn't realize they were making a bet. It ended up being more trouble than it was worth, so I asked the moderator to close the thread. Ironically, my reasons for not believing in Bush were that he couldn't/wouldn't run between the tackles due to the pounding he would take. And now, we have Young who I don't feel will be able to hold up under the pounding of the NFL as a starting QB. I won't take the bet you're proposing, but I would be willing to bet my avatar with you that if Stroud is off the board & both Young & Anderson are still there at #2, the Texans will either draft Anderson or trade down from the #2 pick.

I'd wager if...

...if BY were taken, he'd start 90% (15?) of his games once declared a starter.

All civil - criminal- and ped suspension issues would void the bet.

BY would have to miss games purely on his injury status.

I think an avatar bet would be sufficient in humiliating me or whomever for being wrong...

I'd wager if...

...if BY were taken, he'd start 90% (15?) of his games once declared a starter.

All civil - criminal- and ped suspension issues would void the bet.

BY would have to miss games purely on his injury status.

I think an avatar bet would be sufficient in humiliating me or whomever for being wrong...
Nah, I'll pass on that bet. Mainly because if the Texans take him, they must feel he can hold up through the rigors of the NFL.

Our generalized experience with athletes are probably similar from different perspectives. My opinion specifically on a player like Young is that he is undoubtedly an ectomorph in body type. For those unfamiliar with the classification, these type characteristically demonstrate linearity in body structure with lesser muscle mass. And although they appear thin, they can actually have higher body fat than one might expect [as has been the case with many of my patients when placed in the hydrostatic body fat tank]. Ectomorphs have a difficult time putting on muscle mass because their metabolism has a tendency to run higher than other body types. I am sure that one may be able to add pounds (including muscle] to Young, but doing so while trying to maintain his same mobility [especially with the addition of 20 pounds] would have to be highly questionable. Most importantly, though, trying to maintain that muscle weight gain will likely prove to be extremely challenging for both him and his trainer, and in the long run may be a significant negative.

I think you’re right on him being an ectomotph and it is generally more difficult to get them to gain muscle but it can be done if they’ll eat enough. If you look to the nba (lots of ectomorphs) you’ll see guys that have added size over the years yet maintain their crazy levels of athleticism. The best example of the top of my head is Giannis Antetokounmpo. You could add Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant to that list as well. Here’s a great article showing Giannis growth over the years

There are also some pics floating around showing the growth of Usain Bolt over the years and it didn’t hurt his athleticism at all. You can definitely add some size without it disrupting athleticism, the trick is you always work on both aspects simultaneously. I worked with a pro beach volleyball player and we added 10 LBs of muscle to him while improving his vertical jump to over 40”. He got faster as well. Where you run into issues is when coaches focus solely on adding size and strength. If you remember David Boston, he worked with a world renowned strength coach and got huge. However, he lost a great deal of his athleticism and it cost him his career.

Just for clarification when I said 10-20 pounds, especially the 20 pound mark I was thinking over a several year period. For example, with my beach volleyball player the 10 pounds was added over roughly a 12-15 month period. I 100% agree that if Bryce tried to add too much too quickly it would undoubtedly be detrimental to his performance

For the record I love Bryce as a player and if he and CJ are sitting there at 2, I’m taking Bryce. His accuracy and anticipation is outstanding BUT his size does scare me

I think you’re right on him being an ectomotph and it is generally more difficult to get them to gain muscle but it can be done if they’ll eat enough. If you look to the nba (lots of ectomorphs) you’ll see guys that have added size over the years yet maintain their crazy levels of athleticism. The best example of the top of my head is Giannis Antetokounmpo. You could add Michael Jordan and Kobe Bryant to that list as well. Here’s a great article showing Giannis growth over the years

There are also some pics floating around showing the growth of Usain Bolt over the years and it didn’t hurt his athleticism at all. You can definitely add some size without it disrupting athleticism, the trick is you always work on both aspects simultaneously. I worked with a pro beach volleyball player and we added 10 LBs of muscle to him while improving his vertical jump to over 40”. He got faster as well. Where you run into issues is when coaches focus solely on adding size and strength. If you remember David Boston, he worked with a world renowned strength coach and got huge. However, he lost a great deal of his athleticism and it cost him his career.

Just for clarification when I said 10-20 pounds, especially the 20 pound mark I was thinking over a several year period. For example, with my beach volleyball player the 10 pounds was added over roughly a 12-15 month period. I 100% agree that if Bryce tried to add too much too quickly it would undoubtedly be detrimental to his performance

For the record I love Bryce as a player and if he and CJ are sitting there at 2, I’m taking Bryce. His accuracy and anticipation is outstanding BUT his size does scare me
I read your post with great interest!

What I would have to point out with players in the 6'6"-6'11" height range [Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Usain Bolt, Giannis Antetokounmpo], it should be easy to see how adding 20 lbs of weight and maintaining and even improving some aspects of performance would be very reasonable to expect.

In general, most college football players (especially linemen and LBs) do put on significant weight in their 1st year or 2 in the NFL. But the QB is a unique position. They seldom put on significant weight beyond their college playing weight. Those that do, usually have a history of having played at that increased weight sometime during their college career, then for whatever reason by their senior year (or pre-NFL year) reduced their playing weight.

Neither of us doubt Young's skills.............Neither of us feel comfortable with his size..............only one of us feels comfortable taking him at 2. Whether the Texans or another team takes him high, time will tell us definitively whether he has the durability of a bowling ball or a pancake.

There is nothing in young’s background to suggest he is made of glass. The one shoulder injury happened when he fell on it. I don’t get it. Wish I did, but I don’t. someone make an argument beyond his frame because his frame hasn’t been an issue yet. Why would it now? And he’s had plenty of big dudes get a crack at him. The floor is yours to convince me.

The cat can play, he throws a beautiful ball with great placement, high accuracy, and has high football IQ and intangibles are outstanding. Although very doubtful, I hope both Stroud and Young are available so Nick and co can pick their guy instead of being left with one after Carolina. I like CJ a lot too and it’s close, but I would choose Young if both are available, and my guess is so would the Texans.

Depends. If it's a guy with no history of injury, of course not. But if he's like Stingley yes, absolutely & I think most people would, bit to save Nick they're blaming Lovie.

Young has no history of injury. But his light frame, to me, is just as indicative as Lisfranc in a DB & you are betting against the odds.

Most comparable to this situation is Kyler Murray though he is thicker. Always hurt. Wouldn't be a big deal if he were drafted in the 3rd like Russel Wilson. But 1 overall it is a huge problem

Why would it now? And he’s had plenty of big dudes get a crack at him. The floor is yours to convince me.
I think it's the same argument that college players have to adjust to the NFL. in college the talent is so diluted they rarely face 11 guys at the same time like they will in the NFL every week. He might have been tackled by an NFL prospect once every week. He's about to be hit by an NFL athlete 5 times a game.

Look, Charles Barkley said he chose basketball because the NFL is a man's game. & Barkley ain't no wall flower

Depends. If it's a guy with no history of injury, of course not. But if he's like Stingley yes, absolutely & I think most people would, bit to save Nick they're blaming Lovie.

Young has no history of injury. But his light frame, to me, is just as indicative as Lisfranc in a DB & you are betting against the odds.

Most comparable to this situation is Kyler Murray though he is thicker. Always hurt. Wouldn't be a big deal if he were drafted in the 3rd like Russel Wilson. But 1 overall it is a huge problem
Murray played 32 games in his first two years. In year three he missed only two games. Last year he missed 6 games.

The major difference between the two is Murray is always running the ball versus Young who mainly operates in the pocket.

There is nothing in young’s background to suggest he is made of glass. The one shoulder injury happened when he fell on it. I don’t get it. Wish I did, but I don’t. someone make an argument beyond his frame because his frame hasn’t been an issue yet. Why would it now? And he’s had plenty of big dudes get a crack at him. The floor is yours to convince me.

The cat can play, he throws a beautiful ball with great placement, high accuracy, and has high football IQ and intangibles are outstanding. Although very doubtful, I hope both Stroud and Young are available so Nick and co can pick their guy instead of being left with one after Carolina. I like CJ a lot too and it’s close, but I would choose Young if both are available, and my guess is so would the Texans.
Casserio likely will be expected by ownership to make it happen this year which would most of all include moving aggressively to draft the next franchise QB, but he caught a break because Carolina and not him will have to choose between Stroud & Young.

Not on this board as I was against both Reggie and Vince.

I read your post with great interest!

What I would have to point out with players in the 6'6"-6'11" height range [Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant, Usain Bolt, Giannis Antetokounmpo], it should be easy to see how adding 20 lbs of weight and maintaining and even improving some aspects of performance would be very reasonable to expect.

In general, most college football players (especially linemen and LBs) do put on significant weight in their 1st year or 2 in the NFL. But the QB is a unique position. They seldom put on significant weight beyond their college playing weight. Those that do, usually have a history of having played at that increased weight sometime during their college career, then for whatever reason by their senior year (or pre-NFL year) reduced their playing weight.

Neither of us doubt Young's skills.............Neither of us feel comfortable with his size..............only one of us feels comfortable taking him at 2. Whether the Texans or another team takes him high, time will tell us definitively whether he has the durability of a bowling ball or a pancake.
Russell Wilson had added more than 10lbs not too long after he was drafted.

We have a history of drafting injury prone picks and Young in my opinion is a risk. Even if he gains 20lbs his skeletal frame is not going to absorb the pounding from NFL defenders. Im see him rolling up like a BB bug after getting his shoulder out of socket several times. A #2 pick should be a risk free investment. Will Anderson comes to mind or Stroud.

He has injured that shoulder 3 times.........the last time resulting from a dislocation..........A-C separation with ligament damage, rotator cuff and likely labrium damage

Last edited:
I don't think anybody is bashing Stingley. They're bashing the ignoring of the red flags with a pick that high. Dude hasn't been able to stay on the field since 2019, and just like that he misses 8 games of his rookie season.

This. Stingley would have been a suitable risk with the Texans’ second first rounder last year. But a top 3 pick needs to be as close to a sure thing as you can get.

Russell Wilson had added more than 10lbs not too long after he was drafted.
Wilson as an example is very exceptional for a reason. Wilson's build was already stocky mesomorph at North Carolina State.

1679768783210.png

Unlike Young's ectomorph structure, his body type could easily take the extra pounds. Even Roesthlisberger only gained and kept the 4 extra pounds he added in transition to the NFL.

I think it's the same argument that college players have to adjust to the NFL. in college the talent is so diluted they rarely face 11 guys at the same time like they will in the NFL every week. He might have been tackled by an NFL prospect once every week. He's about to be hit by an NFL athlete 5 times a game.

Look, Charles Barkley said he chose basketball because the NFL is a man's game. & Barkley ain't no wall flower
EXACTLY!!!

Wilson as an example is very exceptional for a reason. Wilson's build was already stocky mesomorph at North Carolina State.

View attachment 11844

Unlike Young's ectomorph structure, his body type could easily take the extra pounds. Even Roesthlisberger only gained and kept the 4 extra pounds he added in transition to the NFL.
I dunno for sure but wasn't "the Boz" another NFL football player who tried to add too much muscle mass to a frame
inadequate to effectively support the added weight ?

Murray played 32 games in his first two years. In year three he missed only two games. Last year he missed 6 games.

The major difference between the two is Murray is always running the ball versus Young who mainly operates in the pocket.
So... like Stingley we're hoping for the best over the first two/three years then hoping for the best?

Sorry, I'll pass.

so your concern is he is transitioning to the NFL. Apparently all the other players don’t transition. Excuse me while I double check that.

I said convince me and this is the pile of rubbish you deliver? Come on man, where is the meat? This is tofu, and one man’s tofu at that.

so your concern is he is transitioning to the NFL. Apparently all the other players don’t transition. Excuse me while I double check that.

I said convince me and this is the pile of rubbish you deliver? Come on man, where is the meat? This is tofu, and one man’s tofu at that.
We see what we want to see. I see SPAM, you see tofu.

I dunno for sure but wasn't "the Boz" another NFL football player who tried to add too much muscle mass to a frame
inadequate to effectively support the added weight ?
Actually since college, Boz took steroids. In college, he suffered significant shoulder injuries which continued into his 2 NFL years. During that period, he was not able to bench and effectively exercise his upper body. He lost significant weight because of this, and turned to steroids to help regain weight and muscle mass. The steroids and shoulder injuries to promoted and accelerated the development of severe very painful degenerative arthritis to the point that no doctors would clear him to play and he was forced to retire fromm football.

Panthers just took a shot on a qb that was on the shorter side when they picked up Mayfield last year…and I can’t see them dropping all the compensation they did to move up to the top of the draft to take a guy in Richardson who had a pretty decent shot to fall to them where they were. They likely could’ve traded with any other team in the top 5 and gotten him paying less.

IOW, there’s no way in hell Stroud ISN’T the pick for the Panthers here imo; worst kept secret in the draft at this point.

I have seen and heard that the Panthers want Young and traded to make sure that he is available. Is it a fact? No idea, but it's been mentioned on 610 and many podcasts

I have seen and heard that the Panthers want Young and traded to make sure that he is available. Is it a fact? No idea, but it's been mentioned on 610 and many podcasts

obviously all scenarios are in play, but its too close to the draft at this point. Therefore for me any talk about which team favors this prospect etc etc is just talk for misdirection purposes.

Actually since college, Boz took steroids. In college, he suffered significant shoulder injuries which continued into his 2 NFL years. During that period, he was not able to bench and effectively exercise his upper body. He lost significant weight because of this, and turned to steroids to help regain weight and muscle mass. The steroids and shoulder injuries to promoted and accelerated the development of severe very painful degenerative arthritis to the point that no doctors would clear him to play and he was forced to retire fromm football.
OK C&D thanks and appreciate your insight and your clarification on the Boz's situation in the NFL.

I don't think anybody is bashing Stingley. They're bashing the ignoring of the red flags with a pick that high. Dude hasn't been able to stay on the field since 2019, and just like that he misses 8 games of his rookie season.

Well, I don’t have anything to go on other than my own suspicion, but I think that since last season was a lost cause, ‘they’ used Stingley’s hamstring as a way to shut him down. I suspect the same thing happened with Dameon Pierce’s injury.

As a matter of fact, I just discovered this little tidbit…

Dameon Pierce ahead of schedule in recovery

"It's a bummer how it ended but you know, it's a slight injury," Pierce said Monday. "Nothing that nobody can come back from. I could have come back earlier, but it was an administrative decision to put me on IR for the rest of the season, get me so I can be ahead of my offseason program leading into next year. And hopefully, we'll see how things unfold."

Well, I don’t have anything to go on other than my own suspicion, but I think that since last season was a lost cause, ‘they’ used Stingley’s hamstring as a way to shut him down. I suspect the same thing happened with Dameon Pierce’s injury.

As a matter of fact, I just discovered this little tidbit…

Dameon Pierce ahead of schedule in recovery

"It's a bummer how it ended but you know, it's a slight injury," Pierce said Monday. "Nothing that nobody can come back from. I could have come back earlier, but it was an administrative decision to put me on IR for the rest of the season, get me so I can be ahead of my offseason program leading into next year. And hopefully, we'll see how things unfold."

Here's another little Tidbit: Basic Texans tenet...........All injured Texans are "ahead of schedule"...........until they're not. :shades:

Pierce suffered a Grade II HIGH ankle sprain. Return to decent functionality is at minimum 4 weeks and usually 6 weeks. High ankle sprains especially are notorious for re-injury with too early return. Pierce was never going to be able to return safely before the end of the season. The "administrative" decision saved Pierce from himself.

From Dec 13:

High ankle (rather than initially diagnosed low ankle) sprain has been confirmed by MRI. The Texans are saying he will only be out 1-2 weeks. As a high-contact power RB especially, that would be too soon if Pierce is to avoid re-injury (or compensatory injury). If Pierce re-injures the ligaments by coming back too soon, the ligaments would likely be permanently stretched leaving him with loose unstable ankle. This should not be a race to get him back in a season that is already lost in so many ways.............a stupid mistake................a mistake that could very well affect the career longevity of the team's brightest star.

****************************************************************************************

Houston Texans Moves: RB Dameon Pierce MRI Result, Eno Benjamin Cut - Sources
Houston Texans running back situation is unsettled with injury to Dameon Pierce, and plan to waive Eno Benjamin

HOUSTON -- Houston Texans standout rookie running back Dameon Pierce suffered a relatively mild high-ankle sprain Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys that is regarded as likely to sideline him for at least one game, according to league sources.

High-ankle sprains tend to linger generally, but this isn't regarded as severe. A source characterized his status as fluid and predicted Pierce could return within a range of one to two weeks.

Pierce is currently expected to return to play at some point this season depending on how quickly the ankle responds with no structural damage revealed during a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday, per sources.

Pierce hurt his left ankle Sunday in a loss to the Cowboys at A&T Stadium, briefly going back in the game after having his cleat retaped. He was taken out of the game when it became clear that he couldn't push off his foot, running for one yard on his final carry of the game.

Texans coach Lovie Smith was noncommittal on Pierce's status for Sunday's game against the Kansas City Chiefs.
"He has an ankle injury that kept him out, he didn’t finish the game," Smith said Monday morning. "That’s always concerning when a player didn’t finish the game. It will take an awful lot for him not to play, but, if it’s an injury, of course it can. Hopefully, it’s short-term. We’ll see.”

If Pierce can't play Sunday at NRG Stadium, the Texans will turn to backup running backs Rex Burkhead and Dare Ogunbowale.
THE REST OF THE STORY

*******************************************************************************************
Stingley suffered a Grade II hamstring tear. Return to play would be a minimum of 6-8 weeks. And this would be further extended for safety due to the effects of his lingering foot issue. Hamstring injuries are notorious for re-injury when returning in the same season. Stingley should have never been considered for return in 2022.

From Dec 17:

Stingley to IR after Lovie said he had a "minor" injury and would not be out for long. That was never to be with a grade II hamstring caused by a lingering foot issue.

Last edited:
Back