Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Here's another little Tidbit: Basic Texans tenet...........All injured Texans are "ahead of schedule"...........until they're not. :shades:

You’re never gonna get Lance McCullers like honesty in the NFL so i don’t think this is a basic Texans tenet, but an NFL as a whole one….

Reactions: JB
Just when we thought it was safe, to select a playmaker, regardless which side of ball, there is CND to insert reality of risks associated with a player we (Texans) desire.

This is same reason why Ahmad Sauce Gardner was the correct pick #3 last year, because of Stingley injury history/concerns. Are we going to repeat mistake very next year?

Wish we didn’t need a QB so bad or Will Anderson would be the easy, smart decision. Trade down? Add weapons, protection and playmakers. Purdy was Mr. Irrelevant. Turns out he was relevant. Will see if that transaction/experience carry’s any weight with Ryan’s and Slowik?

I think if Bryce Young makes it to 2, the Texans' decision is easy. They'll go ahead and take Young. Young is elite in several categories. If he's not there, the decision is much harder.
If it's between Stroud and Anderson, I agree.
It would be so tempting to go with Anderson and gamble on a small move up for another QB you had a decent grade on.
You could also wait for Hooker at #33 or make a small move back up into the first to make sure you get him and the 5th year option.

Why is that a red flag? No one wants to be in back waiting for your name to not be called. I don't think that's where all of Aaron Rodger's personality disorder comes from. But it's a part of it. Levis is just saying the quiet part loud.

Speaking of Levis, I can't look at him without thinking about the guy who played the T-1000 in Terminator 2. Levis looks like a movie villain. Sorry Will, but you can't be my QB if I'm rooting for you to die at the end of the movie.

Why is that a red flag? No one wants to be in back waiting for your name to not be called. I don't think that's where all of Aaron Rodger's personality disorder comes from. But it's a part of it. Levis is just saying the quiet part loud.

Speaking of Levis, I can't look at him without thinking about the guy who played the T-1000 in Terminator 2. Levis looks like a movie villain. Sorry Will, but you can't be my QB if I'm rooting for you to die at the end of the movie.

I’m the opposite. I’d like him to change his name to Biff and go full heel. Then i’d buy his jersey! Time for the Texans to be the bad boys of the league!

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but Levis rubs me the wrong way. There’s a fine line between confidence and asshat douchebag and he rides that line to me. I get a Ryan Leaf vibe with him. I keep marking him further down my list. I’m now down to 3rd round with him, but it won’t matter as the Texans are drafting Young.

I can’t quite put my finger on it, but Levis rubs me the wrong way. There’s a fine line between confidence and asshat douchebag and he rides that line to me. I get a Ryan Leaf vibe with him. I keep marking him further down my list. I’m now down to 3rd round with him, but it won’t matter as the Texans are drafting Young.
He'll grow up fast in the NFL.

To admit this publicly just says he is all about himself. He’s going to be a first rounder. But if he doesn’t go in or around the spot he thinks he should then he doesn’t want to show up at all.

The only WR in this upcoming Draft that has skill sets that are not apparently significantly flawed is Smith-Njigba. But when I do a deep dive into his college career, there are significant red flags for me.

In 2021, Smith-Njigba caught 95 passes for 1,606 yds and 9 TDs. He had a record-breaking performance in the Rose Bowl catching 15 passes from Stroud for 346 yds and 3 TDs. But that was 2021. Last year, Smith-Njigba played only 3 games, producing only 5 catches for 43 yds. This poor production was due to significant unrelenting hamstring issues. So, like Stingley, his rave career production is based on a single past season alone. Now he is foregoing his senior year. To a team looking to take him high in the Draft............Buyer beware!

1679921464576.png

—Bryce Young helped himself more than C.J. Stroud in their pro days last week, from the sound of it. A rep of a team that will likely draft a quarterback this year told me Sunday: “If you watch Bryce Young, and you didn’t know he was 5’10”, you wouldn’t think about his height. It was a disadvantage from the tape I watched.” This team has Young as its top quarterback, for what it’s worth. I’d been told previously that Young, in not getting many passes batted down at the line, has a sense of playing bigger than he is. It’s just one of the factors that has to be weighing on Carolina as the Panthers consider what to do at number one—take Young, or take the quarterback five inches taller in Stroud. As of Sunday night, no team here had been in contact with the Panthers about trading the top pick, and it’d likely be a useless venture, at least now. Carolina has no interest in moving the pick.

—I won’t be surprised, unless Seattle takes him at five, if Jalen Carter drops out of the top 10. I view Seattle as a team that isn’t as scared off by players with character concerns as some other teams are. I asked the coach of a team outside the top 10 who is very interested in Carter and has researched him. The issue with Carter’s alleged involvement in speeding in connection with the accident that killed two people from the Georgia program is worrying, he said, and his team is still looking into that. “There are concerns there,” this coach said, “and I don’t know where we’ll end up on that. But as far as football goes, I don’t view the concerns there that would prevent us from drafting him. I’ve heard about him not practicing hard. I understand, and that could be an issue. But he’s such a freak of nature.” The point: talent shrinks big issues.

Three nuggets from Mel Kiper:

—“I’m looking at 35 to 40 corners that I think will play in the league out of this draft,” Kiper said the other day. “Deepest position in the draft.” Think about that. About 85 percent of draftees make practice squads or active rosters coming out of camps. So imagine 220 rookies make a team or a practice squad this year. And imagine 38 corners are in that group. That would mean 17 percent of the rookies who make it out of camp are corners—for a position that produces three of 23 “starters,” if you consider the nickel corner a starter. That’s 17 percent of the make-it rookies for three spots.

—Kiper’s very bullish on Ole Miss corner Emmanuel Forbes. “Fourteen career interceptions, six pick-sixes—one off Will Levis this year. He’s 6’1”, ran a 4.35 at the combine, missed only one game in his career and it wasn’t for an injury.” Where do I sign? Only problem is, Forbes is thin as a rail, 166 pounds.

—Kiper on Florida QB Anthony Richardson: “He was superman against Utah, just incredible. And then the next week against Kentucky, he completes 40 percent of his passes, throws a couple picks. There were times this year where he flashed it again, but there were times this year where he’s missing layups. Then he’s missing throws in the middle of the field. He’s missing throws deep. Missing throws to all levels. Missing, like I said, bubble screens. He’s bouncing it to the left, bouncing it to the right. Low with the throw, high. That’s the inconsistency with accuracy that bothers you … I think the time he needs will be provided by a team like Seattle, a team that can allow him time. He’s only got 13 career starts. That’s it! That’s a red flag. Again, the inexperience is a factor against him. But if you can let him, I say let him sit, watch and learn. People say, ‘Ah, you can’t do that!’ Well, you have done it. Patrick Mahomes sat for a year. K? He’s still young. He’s only 21 years of age. I think Seattle would be perfect, with Geno Smith there. If Geno continues to be great, then Anthony Richardson waits. If Geno’s just a one-year wonder, then you got Anthony developing. It’s kind of a win-win. It’s a bonus pick for Seattle in the RussellWilson trade. I think Seattle, to me, on paper, logically, thinking it out, would be the perfect spot for him.”

I think Anderson is and should be the pick at 2.
I am all in favor of the Texans drafting Young or Stroud with anticipation that they will be part of the Williams/Maye sweepstake next year. If they miss out on Williams/Maye they will still have a QB of the future. If they are winners in the Williams/Maye sweep they improve their QB position and can trade Young/Stroud for a minimum of a 1, 2, and a 3.

I am all in favor of the Texans drafting Young or Stroud with anticipation that they will be part of the Williams/Maye sweepstake next year. If they miss out on Williams/Maye they will still have a QB of the future. If they are winners in the Williams/Maye sweep they improve their QB position and can trade Young/Stroud for a minimum of a 1, 2, and a 3.

I honestly don't mind that idea. You want the best QB you can get. Taking a top QB this year and next should net you 1 for sure franchise QB. If you end up with 2...you can always get a very good collection of draft picks for 1 of them in a couple years.

This poor production was due to significant unrelenting hamstring issues.
There's also speculation that Smith-Njigba made a business decision and decided to sit out the 2022 season rather than risk further injury. Decisions to play become complicated when prospects like Smith-Njigba are already on the draft radar. Who really knows were the truth lies? What is known is that Smith-Njigba is healthy now, and a likely 1st round pick in the draft.

There's also speculation that Smith-Njigba made a business decision and decided to sit out the 2022 season rather than risk further injury. Decisions to play become complicated when prospects like Smith-Njigba are already on the draft radar. Who really knows were the truth lies? What is known is that Smith-Njigba is healthy now, and a likely 1st round pick in the draft.

Funny you say that. Hookers pro comp in Lindys draft guide is Bridgewater with better accuracy.
Teddy Bridgewater was a 68% passer at Louisville. And Bridgewater was running an offense much closer to pro style than Hooker has run in college. I don't really see the comparison between the two. Zierlein's comparison of Hooker to Desmond Ridder seems much closer.

That's like marrying the hottest girl in high school with idea I will divorce her as assuming I can get with one of those hotter college women. IMO, either you like Young/Stroud enough know that you are passing up the chance on 2024 or you don't.

And yes the league will devalue Young/Stroud greatly if you laid with them for a year and don't think that QB is good enough to keep.

Harrison and Egbuka could've made the decision to leave much easier.

That's like marrying the hottest girl in high school with idea I will divorce her as assuming I can get with one of those hotter college women. IMO, either you like Young/Stroud enough know that you are passing up the chance on 2024 or you don't.

And yes the league will devalue Young/Stroud greatly if you laid with them for a year and don't think that QB is good enough to keep.
Not looking for a girlfriend. Looking for a franchise QB. In much the same way Jimmy Johnson drafted Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh. Johnson didn't have much of a problem getting a 1, 2, and a 3 for Walsh. Those picks were instrumental in building a 3 Super Bowl Dynasty.

Not looking for a girlfriend. Looking for a franchise QB. In much the same way Jimmy Johnson drafted Troy Aikman and Steve Walsh. Johnson didn't have much of a problem getting a 1, 2, and a 3 for Walsh. Those picks were instrumental in building a 3 Super Bowl Dynasty.

gotcha

Funny you say that. Hookers pro comp in Lindys draft guide is Bridgewater with better accuracy. His only true listed flaw is question of was it the system or his ability that made him so good.
Every evaluation I have read knocks his processing. He has always been in a one read offense. That's it. They have said it will take years for him to learn the processing required at an NFL level.

So, you're dumping a 1.2 chosen rookie for a 1 a 2, and a 3 because they are so bad that we're going QB again the next year.

But apparently, they are so good, that another team is paying a King's ransom to get them.

Here's my next used car ad: 2022 lemon for sale. It's a piece of crap. Good luck with it. Paid $30,000 new. Asking $40,000. Call Cal or Nick at 800-HOU-TEXs.

Last edited:
They have said it will take years for him to learn the processing required at an NFL level.
There's no real way to quantify how long it will take. It would be quicker for Hooker if there were already elements of RPO in the offense he's going to. Baltimore would be perfect for Hooker. Doesn't need to play year one, and the Ravens may more on from Jackson in 2024.

So, you're dumping a 1.2 chosen rookie for a 1 a 2, and a 3 because they are so bad that we're going QB again the next year.

But apparently, they are so good, that another team is paying a King's ransom to get them.

Here's my next used car ad: 2022 lemon for sale. It's a piece of crap. Good luck with it. I paid $30,000 new. Asking $40,000. Call Cal or Nick at 800-HOU-TEX.
You're the one saying they are so bad, not me. I'm saying Williams and Maye have better chances of being better franchise QBs than this year's crop. If you can get Williams or Maye and a 1,2 and a 3, why wouldn't you?
Why would you want Dak Prescott if you can have Patrick Mahomes?

Last edited:
You're the one saying they are so bad, not me. I'm saying Williams and Maye have better chances of being franchise QBs than this year's crop. If you can get Williams or Maye and a 1,2 and a 3, why wouldn't you?
The fly in the ointment is that the Texans have to finish with one of the 2 worst records in 2023. Or all of this is just academic. I would put those odds at less than 30%.

The fly in the ointment is that the Texans have to finish with one of the 2 worst records in 2023. Or all of this is just academic. I would put those odds at less than 30%.
This is exactly why I am in favor of drafting Young or Stroud this year. Did you miss the first part of this conversation?

Back