Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

I have no doubt Bryce Young is a very talented QB. Can he withstand the NFL and a bad offensive line at his size? If he translates to the NFL, he'll make someone a damn fine QB though.

If.
The nightmare outcome is he turns out to be a really good QB who can’t stay healthy. We may find ourselves saying “If Bryce can stay healthy next year” for a while.

At least if he sucks you can cut your losses. A lot harder to move on if he’s good and you’re just chasing that magical 17 starts season from him

Looking at photos and video of Young at the Combine and Pro Day, his face went from significantly filled out back to thin. On his Pro Day, I'd be surprised if he tipped the scale much more if any than his 2022 playing weight...........if he would have agreed to another weighin..........which he didn't.
Let it go Doc lol

And that's another reason why I wouldn't draft him. He's intentionally trying to hide the fact that his maxed out weight is just 194 lbs. I'm not questioning his intangibles, but his honesty is definitely in question. Young may go on to have an incredible career, but are the Texans willing to risk the #2 pick & millions of dollars on a player that has a HUGE question mark (his slight frame) attached to him? Now, if Stroud is sitting there at #2, I would be okay with taking him, even though I would want the best player in the draft (Will Anderson). In my opinion, the best case scenario is Seattle wants Anderson so badly they are willing to jump ahead of Arizona & trade the #5, #20 & #37 picks for the #2. I'd do that trade in a heart beat.

And that's another reason why I wouldn't draft him. He's intentionally trying to hide the fact that his maxed out weight is just 194 lbs. I'm not questioning his intangibles, but his honesty is definitely in question. Young may go on to have an incredible career, but are the Texans willing to risk the #2 pick & millions of dollars on a player that has a HUGE question mark (his slight frame) attached to him? Now, if Stroud is sitting there at #2, I would be okay with taking him, even though I would want the best player in the draft (Will Anderson). In my opinion, the best case scenario is Seattle wants Anderson so badly they are willing to jump ahead of Arizona & trade the #5, #20 & #37 picks for the #2. I'd do that trade in a heart beat.
All I can say is wow. You guys overthink stuff too much. Now he’s hiding his maxed out weight. Lol too freaking funny

All I can say is wow. You guys overthink stuff too much. Now he’s hiding his maxed out weight. Lol too freaking funny
If, as Doc suggested, he intentionally bumped his weight up for the combine weigh in & then lost it for his Pro Day, then he is hiding the fact that he has maxed out his weight. So yes, he's trying to deceive his future employer. Imagine what's going to happen when a 300 lb DT brings his entire weight at full speed down on Young. And it will happen in the NFL. If Young is so durable, show me one video clip where a 300+ lb defensive player came down on him with his full weight & Young just bounced up. And, maybe I'll change my opinion.

It’s all good now gonna look good come draft day. Not the end just the beginning….

Attachments

• 7A96D6E9-799A-46B2-9ED4-464D2491602C.jpeg
    7A96D6E9-799A-46B2-9ED4-464D2491602C.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 13
Imagine what's going to happen when a 300 lb DT brings his entire weight at full speed down on Young. And it will happen in the NFL. If Young is so durable, show me one video clip where a 300+ lb defensive player came down on him with his full weight & Young just bounced up. And, maybe I'll change my opinion.
With the new rules in place that doesn't really happen anymore. Young took a number of big shots from free rushers. Look at the Texas game when Ford hit him. Or the Georgia game when Beal hit him. Or the Georgia game when Jordan Davis hit him last year. But it doesn't happen often, in fact last year the Georgia defense called him the gingerbread man because he's so hard to hit

If, as Doc suggested, he intentionally bumped his weight up for the combine weigh in & then lost it for his Pro Day, then he is hiding the fact that he has maxed out his weight. So yes, he's trying to deceive his future employer. Imagine what's going to happen when a 300 lb DT brings his entire weight at full speed down on Young. And it will happen in the NFL. If Young is so durable, show me one video clip where a 300+ lb defensive player came down on him with his full weight & Young just bounced up. And, maybe I'll change my opinion.

if you get the chance watch the Tennessee and Texas games from this past season. He took multiple big shots in both of those games and bounced right back up. Also, I’ve been in the fitness and sports performance business for over 25 years. I wouldn’t be concerned about Bryce maxing out his weight. He’ll be able to put on 10-20 LBs of muscle over the next couple years with no problem. It’s actually pretty easy to do

His "maxed out" height was 6'. Now you're telling me that the 194lbs is accurate where the 6' wasn't? Same guys measuring both of those things.

We do not know what his real playing weight was; we only know what they said his real playing weight was. A 10 lb difference? Come on, man. You give me a few days and I can gain 10 lbs. Not a "good" 10 lbs, but 10 lbs easy. But he was having to work to get up to 204 for the Combine and then it drops off?

No, my question is what is his real playing weight. I wouldn't be surprised if he was in the 180s.

I'm not saying this because I don't want to draft him. I'm fine with drafting him. I'm fine with drafting Stroud and Will Anderson, but this weight thing is a question for me. Like Otisbean has said, he'll be able to gain good weight once he's in an NFL training program, and he'll get stronger the next few years. I'd personally like to know his actual starting point, though.

if you get the chance watch the Tennessee and Texas games from this past season. He took multiple big shots in both of those games and bounced right back up. Also, I’ve been in the fitness and sports performance business for over 25 years. I wouldn’t be concerned about Bryce maxing out his weight. He’ll be able to put on 10-20 LBs of muscle over the next couple years with no problem. It’s actually pretty easy to do
Our generalized experience with athletes are probably similar from different perspectives. My opinion specifically on a player like Young is that he is undoubtedly an ectomorph in body type. For those unfamiliar with the classification, these type characteristically demonstrate linearity in body structure with lesser muscle mass. And although they appear thin, they can actually have higher body fat than one might expect [as has been the case with many of my patients when placed in the hydrostatic body fat tank]. Ectomorphs have a difficult time putting on muscle mass because their metabolism has a tendency to run higher than other body types. I am sure that one may be able to add pounds (including muscle] to Young, but doing so while trying to maintain his same mobility [especially with the addition of 20 pounds] would have to be highly questionable. Most importantly, though, trying to maintain that muscle weight gain will likely prove to be extremely challenging for both him and his trainer, and in the long run may be a significant negative.

I have no doubt Bryce Young is a very talented QB. Can he withstand the NFL and a bad offensive line at his size? If he translates to the NFL, he'll make someone a damn fine QB though.

If.

The Texans don't have a bad offensive line. It remains to be seen how good it will be so I'm not ready to say it's a great or even good but "average" seems like a low-water mark which is a lot better than bad.

Too many unknowns with new coaching/scheme, can Green make a big leap etc. But pre-draft there are 3 first rounders on that line, as well as a former pro-bowl RG. C may be addressed then, not sure. But a premier LT, and a darn good RT is the foundation of any good online and we have those bookends so I don't see "bad" even in a worst case.

I like Anderson but don't love him. My feeling is Anderson will be good but not great at the next level and I don't see a big difference between him and the next 2 or 3 pass rushers behind him. One of those guys could be as good or better long term. It's a hard pass for me when a franchise QB is there for the taking.

I like Anderson but don't love him. My feeling is Anderson will be good but not great at the next level and I don't see a big difference between him and the next 2 or 3 pass rushers behind him. One of those guys could be as good or better long term. It's a hard pass for me when a franchise QB is there for the taking.
I think your crystal ball needs recalibrating.
:fortune:

IDK how much you want to believe this guy but he said BigSargeSports, who I do see asking questions in the pressers to Texans guy or draft guys, said the Texans are comfortable with both Bryce and CJ but had preference for one of them based on personality traits(going to guess its Bryce with not having Deshaun's agent helping too) but they will take a QB at 2

EDIT: and his video explaining this got deleted

Last edited:
Anderson isn't a scheme fit, as I understand it. Seems like a recipe for disaster to take a guy that high and try to shoehorn him in. Countless pass rushing busts have been made that way, thought it is usually DE to OLB.

The Texans don't have a bad offensive line. It remains to be seen how good it will be so I'm not ready to say it's a great or even good but "average" seems like a low-water mark which is a lot better than bad.

Too many unknowns with new coaching/scheme, can Green make a big leap etc. But pre-draft there are 3 first rounders on that line, as well as a former pro-bowl RG. C may be addressed then, not sure. But a premier LT, and a darn good RT is the foundation of any good online and we have those bookends so I don't see "bad" even in a worst case.

I was speaking in general of NFL offensive lines in respect to a smallish QB. The Texans offensive line is like the rest of the team, it shows up some days and not the next. The Texans were 31st in rushing yards last season despite Damien Pierce, and 25th in passing yards. Not a productive offense to say the least. I would say the line and the offensive backfield were both culprits in those horrible stats.

I was speaking in general of NFL offensive lines in respect to a smallish QB. The Texans offensive line is like the rest of the team, it shows up some days and not the next. The Texans were 31st in rushing yards last season despite Damien Pierce, and 25th in passing yards. Not a productive offense to say the least. I would say the line and the offensive backfield were both culprits in those horrible stats.

Pass blocking was pretty decent - still too much up the gut but crossing my fingers on Green. I think Mason is a pretty clear pass-blocking upgrade. Center is a big unknown so that could be the weak link, but the tackles are set. LT is the best pass blocker in the league or very close to it, and the RT is at least solid in pass blocking. C and LG still worries me, but you also have to figure in that Young is good at pocket awareness, and moving within the pocket. I don't think it's going to be a major issue. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Until I'm wrong, then it's all Thorn's fault.

Standard. I didn't change the settings. The first pick was Will Levis. I knew then it was going to be a stupid mock.
I set mine with public vs PFF board, care for positional value, and draft for needs at 3/4. I keep randomness either at 1/4 or 0. I think I'm going to move the care for position value down since there are exceptional variations between PFF & public boards and see how it goes.

It is this time of year I enjoyed my conversations with @steelbtexan the most. I wish he would return or had taken his leave of absence after the draft instead of before. If you're reading come back for a month and then take the rest of the off-season off.

Yes, he's a good guy to have around during draft season. He's got some odd takes for sure (Nigerian Dr's anyone) but he sprinkles a few oddities like that in with some astute stuff too. Plus he stirs the pot and for a message board, you need some pot stirring to keep the conversation moving. So, I'll second your motion. Maybe he is still lurking who knows.

Back