Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

I just read an article that mentioned Hooker could be ready by opening of NFL camps. He was injured and had surgery in November…..might be about 8 months.

Doubtful that happens. He might be ready after 9 months at the earliest. I'm actually thinking October. That wouldn't keep me from picking him.

CnD would be the guy who needs to weigh in on this.

Doubtful that happens. He might be ready after 9 months at the earliest. I'm actually thinking October. That wouldn't keep me from picking him.

Someone will take a punt on him higher than expected but if it's me, I ain't starting him until 2024.

Another very important fact to consider...................Anderson never had a significant injury in the 3 years at Alabama. Sept last year, he left a game walking off the field after a what was reported being due to a "knee injury." In fact, I have found out that this injury was a grade I MCL.............an injury that did not affect his subsequent performance, nor does it place him at any increase risk for re-injury.

There are many factors that go into return time for ACL surgery. Nine to 12 months is average for an NFL player...............with return to maximum performance not occurring before 12 months. Trying to shorten this time frame has been consistently shown to result in an increased risk of reinjury. Ultimate percentage of NFL players returning and return level of performance in a recent study published March 2022 in the Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine has been shown to be very dependent on the NFL position played.

Interesting that NFL QBs were most likely to return to play (92.9% vs 53.7%) and to return to preinjury performance (2% vs 50% decrease) compared with the other positions.

Some additional interesting details in the referenced study:

Returned to Play (n = 174)Did Not Return to Play (n = 138)P
Player characteristics
 Body mass index30.94 ± 4.3530.30 ± 4.20.134
Time in the NFL, y2.89 ± 2.922.99 ± 2.69.455
Injury characteristics
 Preseason/offseason injury6695<.001
 In-season injury10744
Player draft status
 Drafted, n (%)131 (75)74 (54)
 Drafted in rounds 1-38229<.001
 Drafted in rounds 4-74945.027
Player position group
 Quarterback122>.99
 Running backs (RB, FB)1513.041
 Receivers (WR, TE)3037.012
 Offensive linemen  (OL, LS)3511.605
 Defensive linemen  (DE, DT)2320.576
 Linebacker2722.343
 Defensive backs  (CB, FS, SS, S)3131.009
 Punter or kicker12.293
aData presented as mean ± SD or No. of players (%). Bolded P values indicate statistically significant difference between groups (P < .05). ACLR, anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction; CB, cornerback; DE, defensive end; DT, defensive tackle; FB, fullback; FS, free safety; LS, long snapper; NFL, National Football League; OL, offensive lineman; RB, running back; S, safety; SS, strong safety; TE, tight end; WR, wide receiver.

The study findings indicated that NFL players are severely affected by ACL injury, with only 28.5% still active in the league 3 years after the injury. Running backs, defensive linemen, and linebackers performed the worst after injury. Quarterbacks were most likely to return to play and had superior postinjury performance compared with the other positions.

There are many factors that go into return time for ACL surgery. Nine to 12 months is average for an NFL player...............with return to maximum performance not occurring before 12 months. Trying to shorten this time frame has been consistently shown to result in an increased risk of reinjury. Ultimate percentage of NFL players returning and return level of performance in a recent study published March 2022 in the Orthopaedic Journal of Sports Medicine has been shown to be very dependent on the NFL position played.

Interesting that NFL QBs were most likely to return to play (92.9% vs 53.7%) and to return to preinjury performance (2% vs 50% decrease) compared with the other positions.

Some additional interesting details in the referenced study:

Returned to Play (n = 174)Did Not Return to Play (n = 138)P
Player characteristics
 Body mass index30.94 ± 4.3530.30 ± 4.20.134
Time in the NFL, y2.89 ± 2.922.99 ± 2.69.455
Injury characteristics
 Preseason/offseason injury6695<.001
 In-season injury10744
Player draft status
 Drafted, n (%)131 (75)74 (54)
 Drafted in rounds 1-38229<.001
 Drafted in rounds 4-74945.027
Player position group
 Quarterback122>.99
 Running backs (RB, FB)1513.041
 Receivers (WR, TE)3037.012
 Offensive linemen  (OL, LS)3511.605
 Defensive linemen  (DE, DT)2320.576
 Linebacker2722.343
 Defensive backs  (CB, FS, SS, S)3131.009
 Punter or kicker12.293
aData presented as mean ± SD or No. of players (%). Bolded P values indicate statistically significant difference between groups (P < .05). ACLR, anterior cruciate ligament reconstruction; CB, cornerback; DE, defensive end; DT, defensive tackle; FB, fullback; FS, free safety; LS, long snapper; NFL, National Football League; OL, offensive lineman; RB, running back; S, safety; SS, strong safety; TE, tight end; WR, wide receiver.

The study findings indicated that NFL players are severely affected by ACL injury, with only 28.5% still active in the league 3 years after the injury. Running backs, defensive linemen, and linebackers performed the worst after injury. Quarterbacks were most likely to return to play and had superior postinjury performance compared with the other positions.
Great stuff Doc.

Hooker would be my pick for the Texans if I had to pick a QB in this draft.

Hooker is a one read QB at the ripe age of 25 and coming off an ACL. Nah I’m avoiding him at all costs. If you aren’t gonna take Stroud, Young or Richardson then just punt the QB decision to next year
That's exactly what we would be doing if we took Hooker. With his injury, he is going to fall to the 3rd or 4th. I'll take him in the 4th if there. If not, I'll try to get Jake Haener or Clayton Tune later. If we can trade Cooks for Derrick Carr, we wouldn't need to draft one of the other QB's early, and either Hooker, Haener, or Tune, could serve as the 3rd QB while they sit and learn. With Carr in house, we can get our DL and OL solidified, and pick up some good weapons at WR and RB. We could damn near complete our rebuild this off-season.

That's exactly what we would be doing if we took Hooker. With his injury, he is going to fall to the 3rd or 4th. I'll take him in the 4th if there. If not, I'll try to get Jake Haener or Clayton Tune later. If we can trade Cooks for Derrick Carr, we wouldn't need to draft one of the other QB's early, and either Hooker, Haener, or Tune, could serve as the 3rd QB while they sit and learn. With Carr in house, we can get our DL and OL solidified, and pick up some good weapons at WR and RB. We could damn near complete our rebuild this off-season.
I frankly think it would be a waste to draft a late round QB this year. The hit rate on first round QB’s is rough, the hit rate on all other round QB’s is abysmal. We already have a good backup in Mills. If you want to develop someone sign Carr or Jimmy G to a short term deal (if possible) then draft Richardson or Levis with our second first rounder. Or if you don’t like those guys sign Jimmy G/Carr and just wait till next year to draft a QB at all.

I just don’t see a late round QB working out, even if they turn out to be decent the ceilings just aren’t very high. I would be cool with Hooker this year but the dude is 25 and likely by the time he becomes a full time starter will be 26, that’s Brandon Weeden territory. I’d expect a 25 year old to be running an offense where he actually has to make full field reads. The fact that he’s not yet is not a good sign.

I frankly think it would be a waste to draft a late round QB this year. The hit rate on first round QB’s is rough, the hit rate on all other round QB’s is abysmal. We already have a good backup in Mills. If you want to develop someone sign Carr or Jimmy G to a short term deal (if possible) then draft Richardson or Levis with our second first rounder. Or if you don’t like those guys sign Jimmy G/Carr and just wait till next year to draft a QB at all.

I just don’t see a late round QB working out, even if they turn out to be decent the ceilings just aren’t very high. I would be cool with Hooker this year but the dude is 25 and likely by the time he becomes a full time starter will be 26, that’s Brandon Weeden territory. I’d expect a 25 year old to be running an offense where he actually has to make full field reads. The fact that he’s not yet is not a good sign.
NFL teams take a flyer on QB's in the later rounds every year. Nobody knows where the next Tom Brady (6th round pick) will come from. San Fran. had Jimmy G. and Trey Lance, but they still took Brock Purdy with the last pick in the draft...and needed him. Late round picks are pretty much throw away picks, why not use one of them on a project QB that might turn out to be a stud with some time in the NFL? Every team carries at least a 3rd QB on the practice squad, if not on the active roster, but the NFL may start allowing an extra roster spot for an emergency 3rd QB. If you don't have a 3rd QB, you couldn't take advantage of that spot.

Couple thoughts about age and QBs

In terms of college performance, I worry some about mature 23 plus guy playing against bunches of dudes who can't legally drink. Methinks that the four/five years of experience matters.

At QB, in terms of drafting it is not the same amount of concern as with RB, etc. where the self life is short. If a dude is a starting level QB in the NFL a 26 year old can be effective as a passer well into his 30s. Running and movement may be effected, but 25 is not too old if I am thinking long-term starter.

Hooker is a one read QB at the ripe age of 25 and coming off an ACL. Nah I’m avoiding him at all costs. If you aren’t gonna take Stroud, Young or Richardson then just punt the QB decision to next year
This Richardson guy is the QB who can double as a TE, right ?

NFL teams take a flyer on QB's in the later rounds every year. Nobody knows where the next Tom Brady (6th round pick) will come from. San Fran. had Jimmy G. and Trey Lance, but they still took Brock Purdy with the last pick in the draft...and needed him. Late round picks are pretty much throw away picks, why not use one of them on a project QB that might turn out to be a stud with some time in the NFL? Every team carries at least a 3rd QB on the practice squad, if not on the active roster, but the NFL may start allowing an extra roster spot for an emergency 3rd QB. If you don't have a 3rd QB, you couldn't take advantage of that spot.
Third QB is needed and taking flyers on a late round QB can also be fine in certain situations. If you’re say the Rams then yeah I’d be down to take a 3rd or 4th round QB. You’ve got a starting caliber QB in Stafford but he’s likely only around for another year or two and injuries are piling up. Then yeah taking a flyer is fine, you need a backup and maybe he can learn from Stafford and be the next Brady.

But we aren’t in that position. Our roster has too many holes to waste picks and in my opinion we get a lot more value from a 4th round running back, or center, or WR than we do QB. The odds of a 4th round QB being anything are incredibly low and if our starting and second string QB get hurt then it’s a lost year and so be it.

Third QB is needed and taking flyers on a late round QB can also be fine in certain situations. If you’re say the Rams then yeah I’d be down to take a 3rd or 4th round QB. You’ve got a starting caliber QB in Stafford but he’s likely only around for another year or two and injuries are piling up. Then yeah taking a flyer is fine, you need a backup and maybe he can learn from Stafford and be the next Brady.

But we aren’t in that position. Our roster has too many holes to waste picks and in my opinion we get a lot more value from a 4th round running back, or center, or WR than we do QB. The odds of a 4th round QB being anything are incredibly low and if our starting and second string QB get hurt then it’s a lost year and so be it.
I said 4th for Hendon Hooker, who could potentially be a starting QB or later for one of the others. I think we can handle spending a 5th, 6th or 7th on one of those guys.

I said 4th for Hendon Hooker, who could potentially be a starting QB or later for one of the others. I think we can handle spending a 5th, 6th or 7th on one of those guys.
Hooker could also serve as a team's backup in case Mills leaves after Year 4. He'll be looking for another starting opportunity assuming the ship has sailed here. He will get another chance to start somewhere else probably. Maybe a solid developmental 3rd QB option.

Longest tenure of any Texans QB was Schaub at 7 seasons and Carr at 5 seasons. If Hookers tenure were to start at 25 or 26…..what in the world is the difference? He’d be 33 or 34 when he became the longest tenured Texans QB. He’d be in or completing his second contract. If he’s been successful, it would now simply come down to the Texans history of willfully giving a franchise QB a market value contract.

In reality, some folks are making far too much of a deal out of his age. One of the Mock sights has his best landing place being Tamp Bay b/c he’s mature and could be an instant replacement for Tom Brady and they already have a lot of tools on offense that he would be fit from. I see him as the best QB in this draft who only missed out on the Heisman Trophy b/c he was injured before he could finish his 2022 campaign.

Longest tenure of any Texans QB was Schaub at 7 seasons and Carr at 5 seasons. If Hookers tenure were to start at 25 or 26…..what in the world is the difference? He’d be 33 or 34 when he became the longest tenured Texans QB. He’d be in or completing his second contract. If he’s been successful, it would now simply come down to the Texans history of willfully giving a franchise QB a market value contract.

In reality, some folks are making far too much of a deal out of his age. One of the Mock sights has his best landing place being Tamp Bay b/c he’s mature and could be an instant replacement for Tom Brady and they already have a lot of tools on offense that he would be fit from. I see him as the best QB in this draft who only missed out on the Heisman Trophy b/c he was injured before he could finish his 2022 campaign.
It matters for a few reasons. One is the time he’ll be playing. If you draft him and he works out you’ve got maybe 9-10 years of his prime vs 15 of a guy like Young or Stroud or Richardson.

But that’s not the main issue. The main issue is why isn’t he better at 25 years old. He’s been around the game for 3-4 years more than the aforementioned guys and he’s still playing at a lower level than 2 of them. Makes you wonder how much better he can get vs a guy like Young or Stroud who are 21/22 and have several years of growth left before they reach Hookers age.

And if he played 20 years, he'd be Tom Brady's age. Yeah, I agree that too much is being made of his age. IIRC, that team with the star on their helmets used to have a QB that was a bit older when he started his NFL career. I seem to remember that this QB had to serve a term in the US Navy before he could start his NFL career, and I think he did OK after he did join that team. I think his name was Roger Staubach, or something like that. Hell, I'm old, I might not be remembering correctly. :kitten:

Couple thoughts about age and QBs

In terms of college performance, I worry some about mature 23 plus guy playing against bunches of dudes who can't legally drink. Methinks that the four/five years of experience matters.

At QB, in terms of drafting it is not the same amount of concern as with RB, etc. where the self life is short. If a dude is a starting level QB in the NFL a 26 year old can be effective as a passer well into his 30s. Running and movement may be effected, but 25 is not too old if I am thinking long-term starter.
Not to mention, it's not unheard of for QB's to play into their late 30's, with a few QB's that play well into their 40's.

Very few CFB QB’s run true Pro Style offenses. It’s pass fast system in CFB. Mahomes made a nice transition from TT’s offense to Reid’s KC offense after a season of clipboard duty. Reid made his success possible by being flexible himself.

Burrough also came from a high flying passing attack at LSU and transitioned nicely in the Bengals system b/c they made it a priority to get him WR weapons….maybe the best receiving group in the NFL.

Hooker has the physical tools, is solid in the pocket, and has the ability to make defenses pay with his legs. He has a nice and quick throwing motion as well.

Hooker will probably be ready by WK1 at the earliest or WK4 at the latest.

I wasn't responding to anything about running full on true pro style offenses, I was responding to the notion that Hooker is asked to make an abundance of quick decisions and my response was that based largely off of the very unique offense they run at Tenn it didn't appear he really did. And I don't know if using the fastest rising QB in the history of the game as your lone example is doing your argument much justice. Like ya, that guy did it.

As for Burrow, he came from a team that ran almost exactly as much they threw the ball and it was based largely on pro style concepts Joe Brady had just brought over from his years in New Orleans with Sean Payton et al. So while his weapons in college and in the league have been a certain benefit, he also wasn't coming from a completely QB-friendly college-gimmick passing offense. He was learning NFL-style route combos and full field progressions before he even declared for the league. Those were his big benefits.

Hooker does have tools, and I don't really know what 'solid in the pocket' means but he's not liquid back there so I suppose I'd agree, and his use with his legs is helpful - in a vacuum, of course. I just think he's gonna be asked to learn an astounding amount really early while rehabbing, and seeing as he's become this over the top passion project for you you may be surprised at what a challenge that could be. That's all.

LZ's first mock draft.

Young at 1.2
Hyatt at 1.12

I’m not on the Young bandwagon, so I’ll skip giving my thoughts.

I’m on the WR- Jalin Hyatt (TN) bandwagon b/c his speed is going to be off the charts. I’m looking at Hyatt going to the WR2 spot for the following reason; I’d really pursue an opportunity to trade WR- Nico Collins to the Jets for WR- Denzel Mims (NYJ). Mims just didn’t work out with the Jets b/c they continued to fill their coffers with WR’s and Collins has been injured each season since he’s been drafted. Jets are flush with speed at the WR spot and might have a lot of interest in a big possession receiver. Texans would need a top WR1 type with the size and speed desired for the position, and Mims has that with no problem. Metchie is going to be the SWR as was intended when they drafted him. Moore would still be more than adequate as a WR4 with this group.

How this group would look to me:

WR1- Denzel Mims / 6-3 @ 207 lbs / 4.38-40
WR2- Jalin Hyatt / 6-0 @ 185 lbs / 4.29-40
WR3- John Metchie III / 5-11 @ 187 lbs / 4.48-40
WR4- Chris Moore / 6-1 @ 200 lbs / 4.53-40

Last edited:

I would punt on a QB this yr.

I probably would pick Young from a marketing/winning more games standpoint. Even though I dont think he will become the 1st QB his size to win a championship. Young's the only recent QB not to win a championship at Alabama. (Tua/Hurts/Jones) so there is that. I might take the upside of Levis knowing if he doesn't pan out or looks bad his 1st couple of yrs I can move on. No to Stroud/Richardson. Depending on where maybe on Hooker.

I wouldn’t draft Hyatt that high.

Why wouldn't you draft him that high? At worst he's Hardman, at best he's Hill.

LZ's first mock draft.

Young at 1.2
Hyatt at 1.12

Good to see I'm not alone.

How do you feel about drafting Hyatt?

There's value in being able to take the top off of a defense, Hyatt appears to have good hands and a strong enough build to beat the Jams. He's not a bad route runner either, although there's room for improvement. I'm hoping for Achane to fall to 3-64 or maybe trade up a little for him. An offense with Young/Hyatt/Achane would be very exciting.

I’m not on the Young bandwagon, so I’ll skip giving my thoughts.

I’m on the WR- Jalin Hyatt (TN) bandwagon b/c his speed is going to be off the charts. I’m looking at Hyatt going to the WR2 spot for the following reason; I’d really pursue an opportunity to trade WR- Nico Collins to the Jets for WR- Denzel Mims (NYJ). Mims just didn’t work out with the Jets b/c they continued to fill their coffers with WR’s and Collins has been injured each season since he’s been drafted. Jets are flush with speed at the WR spot and might have a lot of interest in a big possession receiver. Texans would need a top WR1 type with the size and speed desired for the position, and Mims has that with no problem. Metchie is going to be the SWR as was intended when they drafted him. Moore would still be more than adequate as a WR4 with this group.

How this group would look to me:

WR1- Denzel Mims / 6-3 @ 207 lbs / 4.38-40
WR2- Jalin Hyatt / 6-0 @ 180 lbs / 4.29-40
WR3- John Metchie III / 5-11 @ 187 lbs / 4.48-40
WR4- Chris Moore / 6-1 @ 200 lbs / 4.53-40
Lol Texans aren’t trading Collins. Maybe you can trade Cooks to the Jets for Mims.
The best receiver in the draft IMO is:

Quentin Johnston / 6-4 @ 215 lbs / 4.40-40

A late round burner

Tyler Scott / 5-11 @ 185 lbs / 4.29-40

I would punt on a QB this yr.

I probably would pick Young from a marketing/winning more games standpoint. Even though I dont think he will become the 1st QB his size to win a championship. Young's the only recent QB not to win a championship at Alabama. (Tua/Hurts/Jones) so there is that. I might take the upside of Levis knowing if he doesn't pan out or looks bad his 1st couple of yrs I can move on. No to Stroud/Richardson. Depending on where maybe on Hooker.
Feel like the Young discussion is super played out so I’ll back away from that. But I think Richardson is a better prospect than Levis. He’s more polished than the internet would lead you to believe

And if he played 20 years, he'd be Tom Brady's age. Yeah, I agree that too much is being made of his age. IIRC, that team with the star on their helmets used to have a QB that was a bit older when he started his NFL career. I seem to remember that this QB had to serve a term in the US Navy before he could start his NFL career, and I think he did OK after he did join that team. I think his name was Roger Staubach, or something like that. Hell, I'm old, I might not be remembering correctly. :kitten:
Like I said the issue isn’t really with longevity it’s with development. Less upside with Hooker and more questions about why his issues haven’t been ironed out since he’s got 3 years on other prospects

I thought I heard DeMeco state that he like the RPO. I would be scared to have Young running an RPO in the NFL. That would give him so many more chances to take hits, and I don't think his body can handle it for long.

Feel like the Young discussion is super played out so I’ll back away from that. But I think Richardson is a better prospect than Levis. He’s more polished than the internet would lead you to believe
If we go with more of an RPO style offense, Richardson does make more sense.

Like I said the issue isn’t really with longevity it’s with development. Less upside with Hooker and more questions about why his issues haven’t been ironed out since he’s got 3 years on other prospects
I heard that it was thought that, before his injury, Hooker was going to be the Heisman trophy winner.

Lol Texans aren’t trading Collins. Maybe you can trade Cooks to the Jets for Mims.
The best receiver in the draft IMO is:

Quentin Johnston / 6-4 @ 215 lbs / 4.40-40

A late round burner

Tyler Scott / 5-11 @ 185 lbs / 4.29-40

If you tell me that Johnston can learn not to body catch as much and learn how to better high point the ball, then I'm on board with Johnston at 1-12. It can be done AJ learned how to get better at these things from his rookie yr to his 2nd yr.

Hooker already had his 25th birthday this year, while Young will have his 22nd in July.

Hooker graduated high school at 19, redshirted his freshman year, played four full years.

Young graduated high school at 18, did not redshirt, came out early after his Junior year.

Levis graduated high school at 18, redshirted his freshman year, played four full years.

There is only one year of actual football experience difference between all three of them.

The only outlier is Richardson who will be 22 like Young, but redshirted and coming out early after only one season of being a starter. Dude started 13 total games in college over three years with a losing record. Davis Mills is the perfect mentor.

Hooker already had his 25th birthday this year, while Young will have his 22nd in July.

Hooker graduated high school at 19, redshirted his freshman year, played four full years.

Young graduated high school at 18, did not redshirt, came out early after his Junior year.

Levis graduated high school at 18, redshirted his freshman year, played four full years.

There is only one year of actual football experience difference between all three of them.

The only outlier is Richardson who will be 22 like Young, but redshirted and coming out early after only one season of being a starter. Dude started 13 total games in college over three years with a losing record. Davis Mills is the perfect mentor.

Good to see you back man.

There's value in being able to take the top off of a defense, Hyatt appears to have good hands and a strong enough build to beat the Jams. He's not a bad route runner either, although there's room for improvement. I'm hoping for Achane to fall to 3-64 or maybe trade up a little for him. An offense with Young/Hyatt/Achane would be very exciting.
I wish he had more than one good season of production. I’d be worried he was a one hit wonder.

I need to see him against press man coverage at the combine first.

Maybe I don’t understand your point, are you disagreeing with me? Yes Hooker has been involved in a college program for 5 years and played for 4 of those years I’d expect him to be further along than he is. I’m not sure how much upside there is for a guy with that history who we’ve yet to see run a full field read offense

Maybe I don’t understand your point, are you disagreeing with me? Yes Hooker has been involved in a college program for 5 years and played for 4 of those years I’d expect him to be further along than he is. I’m not sure how much upside there is for a guy with that history who we’ve yet to see run a full field read offense

He's been involved with a college program for 6 years.

He was a redshirt freshman with VaTech in 2017. He was granted an extra year - like many others - due to the 2020 'covid season'.

Another very important fact to consider...................Anderson never had a significant injury in the 3 years at Alabama. Sept last year, he left a game walking off the field after a what was reported being due to a "knee injury." In fact, I have found out that this injury was a grade I MCL.............an injury that did not affect his subsequent performance, nor does it place him at any increase risk for re-injury.
Do you think Anderson's lack of effort or lack of drive in some 2022 games were
1. Standing on his 2021 season
2. Protecting himself for NFL

3.Both 1 and 2

4. Something else.

He had very good stats this last year but was not same athlete.

Back