Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

We will see if he is 6'-0". From what I've seen, he is 5'-10" at best.

WR is a different position, and has a history of smaller guys succeeding in the NFL. Flowers, Hyatt, and Dell won't be unicorns if they succeed. A QB the size of Bryce Young would be a unicorn. Bryce is not only short, he is small of stature. RGIII was also small in stature even though he was taller. The hits took their toll quickly, and RGIII was out of the NFL.

Russell Wilson is shorter, but he also has a stouter build. He won a Super Bowl, but did so with Beast Mode as his RB. I like Pierce, but he's no Beast Mode.

Your final paragraph I can agree 100% on.
So you seen him in person?

mom scared of Young at QB (Alabama ain’t QBU and he’s small. I like Stroud better but everybody seems to shy away from Stroud. I haven’t heard enough about Levi’s. What’s the pros/cons??

Oops, sorry wrong thread, modes moved, thanks!

Just for sh*ts and giggles.

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Will-Levis-QB-PennState

He scares the hell out of me. 6 3" 230+, Mahomes body and arm, extremely smart guy so not a meathead, 65% COMP 2022, really bad O line for him, fair write up

DRAFT PROFILE: BIO
Will Levis from Xavier High School was rated a 3-star recruit by ESPN and handed a 3-star grade by 247 Sports. Following high school, Levis a 4.0 GPA had offers from a number of Ivy League schools, including Harvard, and Princeton, but wanted to pursue a FBS football career and signed with Penn State instead.

After redshirting all of 2018 in 2019 as a freshman Levis saw action in just 4 games for the Nittany Lions as he threw for 223 yards on 47 attempts with a completion percentage of 59.6 for an average of 4.7 yards per pass, with 2 TDs, while taking 9 sacks, and a QB rating of 68.0. He added 46 runs for 253 yards at an average of 5.5 per run.

In 2020 as a sophomore in limited action he passed for 414 yards on 54 attempts with a completion percent of 59.3 for an average of 7.7 yards per pass, with one TD, while also taking 5 sacks, and putting up a QB rating of 89.6. He made 79 runs for a total of 286 yards at an average of 3.6 per rush.

After the season's end and starting just two games in three years combined at Penn State Levis wisely opted to transfer to Kentucky where now as a junior he was handed the starting role and played a total of 13 games. He passed for 2827 yards on 352 attempts and put up a completion percentage of 65.9 for an average of 8.0 yards per attempt, with 24 TDs, and allowing 24 sacks, with a QB rating on the year of 97.8. As a runner, he logged 98 runs for a total of 516 yards at an average of 5.3 per run. He was also voted a team captain.

In 2022 as a senior Levis saw action in 11 games as he threw for 2416 yards on 286 attempts with a completion percentage of 65 for an average of 8.4 yards per pass, with an excellent 19 TDs, while taking 34 sacks, and totaling a QB rating of 99.1. He added 45 runs for a total of 119 yards at an average of 2.6 per run.

HONORS & AWARDS
  • Johnny Unitas Golden Arm Top 10
  • Davey O’Brien QB Class of 2022
  • Manning Award Watch List
  • Maxwell Trophy Watch List
  • Walter Camp Player of the Year Watch List
  • CFPA National Performer of the Year Watch List
  • Reese’s Senior Bowl Watch List
  • Elected one of seven team captains for 2022
  • Played in 11 games this season … Did not play vs. South Carolina with injury
  • Completed 185 of 283 passes for 2,406 yards and 19 scores with 10 interceptions
  • Ranked fourth in the SEC and 27th nationally in pass efficiency (151.9)
  • Ranked fourth in the SEC and 23rd nationally in yards per pass attempt (8.50)
  • Ranked fifth in the SEC in passing TDs (19)

Last edited:
Zach Allen would be one of my targets. I like Edmonds also at lb to pair with Harris. The Texans haven't had a cover lb in 4 ever and that includes Demeco who wasn't good in coverage also. They could pair Allen with Collins and Clancey. That alone would elevate the defense to 15 or better.
Calijah Kancey would be a better fit behind Collins.

the comments are in direct reply to previous comments in the other threads. If you are going to move one, you need to move all, or leave them alone.
I moved them all, Mr. Helper. But thanks for the advice. Now, post in the correct thread for a change.

Who has the entire pressure list? I’d just like to see it to see if it makes sense.

What does 124th in pressure mean? Is it completion %? QB rating? Are sacks taken included? Can someone elaborate on this stat that is continuously quoted?
124th among all the QBs in college in completion percentage while under pressure.

124th among all the QBs in college in completion percentage while under pressure.
Just completion %? That's it? So if Stroud is throwing the ball away, rather than taking a sack, he drops in the pressure ranking?

Again, does anyone have a link?

I moved them all, Mr. Helper. But thanks for the advice. Now, post in the correct thread for a change.
I guess that means you need to do your job better so there aren't as many comments in the wrong thread. Most of the comments are replies to other people's comments that were already in the wrong thread.

Who has the entire pressure list? I’d just like to see it to see if it makes sense.

What does 124th in pressure mean? Is it completion %? QB rating? Are sacks taken included? Can someone elaborate on this stat that is continuously quoted?

Last edited:
His size is an issue but he is the most NFL ready QB in this class. He has managed quite well up till now, so why not in the future? Just playing devil's advocate here, because if I had to make a choice of him and Stroud, it's Stroud.
Because nobody his size has ever won a championship. It's a bad bet

I guess that means you need to do your job
One, it's not a job. It's an adventure. And I can just as easily delete the posts in the incorrect thread. So give a guy a break and do your job by posting in the correct thread. You can quote a post in the free agency thread and still post it in the draft thread. Did you know that? Now you do.

I already posted in another thread that Stroud has a lot of support around him.
That mammoth RT is one.

When Stroud has pressure on him; he wasn't too good.
That's a concern I have with him. Right now, it's projected that one of his tackles will be a top 15 pick, his WR will be a 1st round pick, his other tackle will be a 2nd rounder, and his center will be a 2nd-3rd rounder. Plus he had Marvin Harrison, Jr. who will probably be the first WR selected next year. In other words, lots of guys projected to be NFL starters.

There's still a lot to like about him and I do love that he and Young are continuing to work to improve their craft.

Man, I like some of the picks, but you are reaching hard on them.
Which picks would you say I'm reaching hard on? Drafting talent isn't reaching.

In fact I might take Schmitz over Mauch. I'm looking for 10 year starters.

Personally, I'd take Schmitz over Mauch because he seems like he's ready now. Mauch might need a year or two to gain a little more strength and weight, but I think he's going to be a good one.

Levis threw 23 INTs in the last 2 seasons. Young and Stroud each threw 12 INTs total in those 2 seasons. Levis threw 43 TDs, Young threw 79 TDs, Stroud 85 TDs in those 2 years. Levis yards/per attempt and completion% are lower than both Young and Stroud. Levis is Black Bortles, Jake Locker, Blaine Glabbart, Zach Wilson, etc..., a bust waiting to happen.
If I'm picking Levis, which I wouldn't do,then I would bring in a vet and let Levis sit for a yr. I do put some value in the fact that he's won 10 and 7 games the last 2 years at Kentucky. That never happens, but that isn't enough to make me pick him in the 1st rd.

General question for you draftniks, as I don't follow closely enough to know this answer.

If Bijan is there at 1.12, what number of scenarios, if any, would he not be BPA, regardless of team needs?

Last edited:
If Bijan is there at 1.12, what number of scenarios, if any, would be not be BPA, regardless of need needs?
There's something called positional value. So if I give Bijon a grade of 9.5 and a LT a grade of 9.0, I would also multiply each one by their positional value. Though Bijon is a better RB than Player X is a LT, the positional value of the LT pushes his grade higher than Bijon's.

I'm not saying I am one to devalue the RB position. I value it more than many. But that's the gist of the idea.

A few years ago a study was made regarding what makes a superior QB. It was determined that ability to be accurate was important, but the most important thing was to be able to process information very quickly and make a decision. Young seems to do that pretty well and so does Stroud. Levis and Richards seem to be a tick behind. Not bad, just not as quick.

That's why I have Hooker at the top of my list.

He was back there making quicker decisions while Stroud & Young were standing back there throwing to open guys with all day to throw more often than not. They both showed they can make all the throws and run around off script but they weren't forced to make rapid decisions.

Then there's the fact that Stroud was statistically one of the worst QB's in the entire NCAA when under pressure. That's a no go for me.

Then there's the fact that Stroud was statistically one of the worst QB's in the entire NCAA when under pressure. That's a no go for me.
Can anyone articulate this? Texian just posted this link, that only shows TDs & INTs under pressure. 6 TDs & 2 picks. What the hell is Stroud doing other than this? I find it difficult to believe that many college QBs are kicking arse.

1-12 Cody Mauch C/OG- North Dakota St. - I like him, but he is a late 1st at best, but most likely a 2nd round pick. 1.12 is too high for him. If we can trade down from 1.12 to 1.24 or so, I'd be ok with the value.

2-33 Kayshon Boutte WR- LSU - Not a fan, but he will probably be available in the 4th, so 2.34 is way too high for him.

2-46 Mazi Smith NT- Michigan - He's expected to go later, but I would be ok with taking him at this point. I like this kid, and I'd be afraid I'd miss out on him if we wait until the 3rd.

3-64 B.J. Thompson DE- SFA - I like him, but he was expected to be a late round pick or an UDFA. I think he rose his stock at the Senior Bowl, but not into the 3rd.

There's something called positional value. So if I give Bijon a grade of 9.5 and a LT a grade of 9.0, I would also multiply each one by their positional value. Though Bijon is a better RB than Player X is a LT, the positional value of the LT pushes his grade higher than Bijon's.

I'm not saying I am one to devalue the RB position. I value it more than many. But that's the gist of the idea.

Comparing the drop off between the 9.0 and the next highest rated LT to the drop off between Bijan and the next RB, do you think it's not enough to justify picking Bijan?

This is all just an intellectual exercise, because I don't expect it to be a realistic possibility.
But I do think Bijan would instantly give the team one of the best RB groups in the league, as well as occasional helping at WR.

The linked video has me salivating to have Dameon in the backfield, and Bijan as the hitch screen option. I think they could make some hay with it

Can anyone articulate this? Texian just posted this link, that only shows TDs & INTs under pressure. 6 TDs & 2 picks. What the hell is Stroud doing other than this? I find it difficult to believe that many college QBs are kicking arse.
That link also showed that he took 14 sacks. I have no idea how many plays that was, because most of the columns are locked down for me.

I’ve not seen a lot of Bama’s games, but based on his size…..does Anderson’s size make him a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE (does he have the size to lineup as a DE?) or does he lineup as a 4-3 OLB?

Personally, if Anderson was the RD1-02 pick….he’s going to be OLB in Ryans 4-3 defense. That means the Texans would be looking for a DE. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all if DE, Tyree Wilson was still on the board at RD1-12 and the Texans made him the pick. To finish a defense like this…..they’re still going to need an ILB and SS to round this unit out for the 2023 season. This could quickly become a defensive focused draft out of the gate.

Right. One of the reasons that, even though I really like Bijan, I'll not take him with our first 2 picks. He'd be great to have, but other positions have a much higher value this season.

He has a passer rating in the upper 30's while under pressure but one of 140ish otherwise.
If you watched much of OSU, he had all day and then some to throw more often than not.
He wasn't forced to throw into tight windows either ....

Comparing the drop off between the 9.0 and the next highest rated LT to the drop off between Bijan and the next RB, do you think it's not enough to justify picking Bijan?
In this case specifically, no. Because I don't have a LT rated that highly in the draft. I'm not certain who will play LT for certain. I'm just explaining the theory. But IMHO, Bijan is easily a top 12 player.
That link also showed that he took 14 sacks. I have no idea how many plays that was, because most of the columns are locked down for me.
14 sacks over 13 games doesn't seem that bad to me. Without knowing the number of pressure attempts, it's impossible to say for sure.

Last edited:
He has a passer rating in the upper 30's while under pressure but one of 140ish otherwise.
If you watched much of OSU, he had all day and then some to throw more often than not.
He wasn't forced to throw into tight windows either ....
I watched a video that had every pass attempt for Stroud. Didn't see this horrendous performance that these numbers would indicate. Again, does anyone have the actual numbers? Stroud's passing rating total was 177.7. So either we're talking about a very small number of attempts, or someone has bad data.

14 sacks over 13 games doesn't seem that bad to me. Without knowing the number of pressure attempts, it's impossible to say for sure.
True true. Of the 14 sacks, 8 of them came while he was being blitzed, and 6 of the sacks came from standard up front pressure. From the games I watched, he really wasn't pressured a lot. He just didn't handle it well when he was.

One, it's not a job. It's an adventure. And I can just as easily delete the posts in the incorrect thread. So give a guy a break and do your job by posting in the correct thread. You can quote a post in the free agency thread and still post it in the draft thread. Did you know that? Now you do.
Are you sure the delete functionality is working? You should test it on his post. :kitten:

I’ve not seen a lot of Bama’s games, but based on his size…..does Anderson’s size make him a 3-4 OLB or a 4-3 DE (does he have the size to lineup as a DE?) or does he lineup as a 4-3 OLB?

Personally, if Anderson was the RD1-02 pick….he’s going to be OLB in Ryans 4-3 defense. That means the Texans would be looking for a DE. Wouldn’t hurt my feelings at all if DE, Tyree Wilson was still on the board at RD1-12 and the Texans made him the pick. To finish a defense like this…..they’re still going to need an ILB and SS to round this unit out for the 2023 season. This could quickly become a defensive focused draft out of the gate.
Yeah, Anderson's size is the reason I'd rather have Carter at 1.2, and Tyree Wilson or Myles Murphy at 1.12. Wilson and Murphy are big enough to be run stuffers at DE, but also fast enough to be pass rushers. I think they would fit DeMeco's 4-3 better than Anderson.

True true. Of the 14 sacks, 8 of them came while he was being blitzed, and 6 of the sacks came from standard up front pressure. From the games I watched, he really wasn't pressured a lot. He just didn't handle it well when he was.
OK. But some of the "not pressured a lot" has to be given to the QB for making his read and getting the ball out on time. That's why this isn't as easy as quoting a number from a web site. There has to be context with everything.

OK. But some of the "not pressured a lot" has to be given to the QB for making his read and getting the ball out on time. That's why this isn't as easy as quoting a number from a web site. There has to be context with everything.
It's not an easy evaluation. At OSU, the talent around him made it easier for him to make his reads than just about any other QB in college. So, on the rare occasion that he was pressured, if he didn't handle it well, how does that project to the NFL where he is probably getting as many pressures in one game than he took in several games in college? That's one of the reasons why I prefer QB's that have had to deal with more pressure with less talent around them.

Here's a good scouting video on Stroud that IMO does a good job of breaking down 1. his issues with pressure 2.why he has those issues:

Really enjoyed this video, thanks you. Laid out the positives/negatives quite well. Stroud would have been a disaster has he QBed this team in 2022. Looks like he would be a good passer with a good line and enough playmakers. M.O. similar to Jared Goff from my vantage point, with less refined processing speed; a slightly inferior version of Goff.

At this point, prefer Bryce Young is we get the guy up high.

Last edited:
I watched a video that had every pass attempt for Stroud. Didn't see this horrendous performance that these numbers would indicate. Again, does anyone have the actual numbers? Stroud's passing rating total was 177.7. So either we're talking about a very small number of attempts, or someone has bad data.
Me either. Lol but I’m not about to go there today.

Really enjoyed this video, thanks you. Laid out the positives/negatives quite well. Stroud would have been a disaster has he QBed this team in 2022. Looks like he would be a good passer with a good line and enough playmakers. M.O. similar to Jared Goff from my vantage point, with less refined processing rate.

At this point, prefer Bryce Young is we get the guy up high.

Yeah, I like that guy's break downs a lot.

Here's Young, Richardson and Levis also:

Anderson would be a 4-3 DE or an edge player or pass rusher. Anderson probably is better pass-rushing standing than three points, but that doesn't mean wasting time teaching him how to drop in coverage and other off-ball skills Teams line up so little in their base these days I wonder why they bother with designations anymore.

That's a concern I have with him. Right now, it's projected that one of his tackles will be a top 15 pick, his WR will be a 1st round pick, his other tackle will be a 2nd rounder, and his center will be a 2nd-3rd rounder. Plus he had Marvin Harrison, Jr. who will probably be the first WR selected next year. In other words, lots of guys projected to be NFL starters.

There's still a lot to like about him and I do love that he and Young are continuing to work to improve their craft.
Fair. Not sure why you got downvoted by someone. Might have to dust off the ugly penquin.

The sample size is not a huge one, as I said above, normally he had all day to throw - he did have a stellar OL, three dudes that should go in the top 75 picks, including arguably the top OT blocking for him & a first round WR to throw to, not to mention Marvin Harrison Jr who is probably a first round pick next year.

But the fact is that he struggled when he was under pressure.

Back