Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Meco and Caserio are supposed to be working well together. And with draft picks, they are making a board with what players BOTH feel will help the team.

A bit of a tongue in cheek moment.

I’ve been saying from the get-go that Caserio has done his job by getting the Texans out of the hole OB created. I believe Caserio was the spark that got Ryans in the door for an interview b/c Ryans was a hot commodity and managed to better Payton with his interview.

I truly believe Caserio found the right man for the job. Ryans and Caserio look like they’re going to make a good team b/c there seems to be mutual respect and a common vision.

Since Cal and Caserio would be relegated to fetching Ryans coffee in the War Room…..my guess is Ryans would prioritize defense before making moves on offense. He could be quite fine on having Jimmy G signed to add a veteran to his QB room and compete with Mills. Remember, Caserio and Cal’s job, strictly to make sure Ryans coffee is hot…..other than that, they’re both to be seen but not heard.

I believe that’s how some have alluded to Caserio’s position with the team.
Ryans is going to get who he wants in FA/Draft.

So long as it’s a mutual agreement by both he and Caserio. This is not going to be a one-sided OB style show.
It's exactly like with BOB.

If there are 2 players and Ryans wants one and Caserio wants another, Ryans guy will be the pick. Same as with BOB after RS left. Nothing has changed, it's what Cal wants

It's exactly like with BOB.

If there are 2 players and Ryans wants one and Caserio wants another, Ryans guy will be the pick. Same as with BOB after RS left. Nothing has changed, it's what Cal wants
So you're saying that Ryans get final call when it comes to picking player in the draft and/or FA? He has that much power?

So you're saying that Ryans get final call when it comes to picking player in the draft and/or FA? He has that much power?
Exactly

Same as with BOB.

Cal wants it this way.

In fact most of the fans want it this way too. Caserio has been made into a well paid errand boy, who never got a chance to pick his HC.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
13 players in the draft from Ohio State

5 players from Kentucky

14 players from Alabama

So, what this shows is that Levis did the most with the least last year. Stroud and Young have about as many. Plus, they are pretty 50/50 on offense and defense of players entering the draft.

Just a quick example of who had NFL caliber players to work with.
Oh how simple

I disagree. I think the NC picked Ryans and will collaborate with him to draft the picks best for the team.

I’ll give you that I don’t think Culley or Lovie were his choices, but I think Ryans was.
The McNair's pick the HC's.

Always have and always will.

How involved was Casserly in hiring Capers?

How involved was Casserly in hiring Kubiak?

How involved was Smith in hiring BO’b?

Nick Caserio is the first Texans GM to conduct a coaching search. He chose Culley. Culley wasn’t on the list until Caserio was hired.

Sure the McNairs hemmed him in & limited his field, but the final choice was his.

His 2nd search didn’t go well.

This was his third search. His search.

I doubt there's a professional sports team on the planet that hires someone as important as a HC/manager without the approval of the owner. The degree of input from the owner definitely differs from team to team, but every owner has to sign off on the hiring. I don't view the McNair's as a wannabe Jerry Jones.
If the Texans want to imitate a franchise, I wish it would be the Steelers. 3 HCs in 53 years and a very successful run in those 53 years. Oddly enough, from 1933-1968 the Steelers cycled through coaches like crazy and were a terrible franchise. 16 HCs in 35 years.
I hope and pray that Ryans can be our version of Chuck Knoll and get it started.

Na. If Demeco installs the WCO, I can see Anthony Richardson being successful here. He’s got the size, speed, and the arm. Especially if Nick signs a decent vet so Richardson can sit back and learn for an entire season. Even better if they get a QB Coach that can develop his passing game.
I would say ONLY if the kid can sit and learn. Maybe for more than one season. NFL draft busts litter the field with QBs with only 1 year as a starter. I wouldn't touch him on day one of the draft. As far as 2.2, it depends on who's available at the time. The Texans have too many holes to reach on a player who was a one-year starter.
I won't be mad if the Texans roll the dice on Young or Stroud at 1.2. They at least have multiple years as a starting QB in college. IMO Levis is a huge risk. Lots of upside but a pretty low floor. Do you draft based on production or on traits and potential?
Sign Jimmy G and draft Richardson? I'm cool. Richardson sits and Mills is the backup.
I am NOT a fan of running QBs in the NFL. The splash. They make highlight reels. They spend a lot of time on injury reports and IR. Josh Allen is fun to watch, but we won't watch him, at this level of play, for 10+ years. Certainly not Jackson or Murray. Way too small to take the trauma.

Where do you hear that from?
I heard McClain say on the afternoon 610 show that NC interviews and picks the HC, of course he presents it to Cal for him to approve before he start negotiations. I never heard even the slightest suggestion that Cal interviews and chooses his HC. That would be crazy.

I doubt there's a professional sports team on the planet that hires someone as important as a HC/manager without the approval of the owner. The degree of input from the owner definitely differs from team to team, but every owner has to sign off on the hiring. I don't view the McNair's as a wannabe Jerry Jones.
If the Texans want to imitate a franchise, I wish it would be the Steelers. 3 HCs in 53 years and a very successful run in those 53 years. Oddly enough, from 1933-1968 the Steelers cycled through coaches like crazy and were a terrible franchise. 16 HCs in 35 years.
I hope and pray that Ryans can be our version of Chuck Knoll and get it started.
Bob McNair said after he went to Bud's funeral that he learned a lot from Bud about business in the NFL.

I heard McClain say on the afternoon 610 show that NC interviews and picks the HC, of course he presents it to Cal for him to approve before he start negotiations. I never heard even the slightest suggestion that Cal interviews and chooses his HC. That would be crazy.
Bob McNair picked Kubiak. He also picked BOB over RS objections. It's why there was so much dysfunction.

Do you think Caserio wanted Culley or Lovie as his HC.

Cal and his wife have said over and over that they sat in on all the head coaching interviews this year.

Bob McNair said after he went to Bud's funeral that he learned a lot from Bud about business in the NFL.
He learned a lot from Bud after Bud's funeral? I believe it. I doubt he learned anything at all about the NFL from Bud. Probably just being polite.

He learned a lot from Bud after Bud's funeral? I believe it. I doubt he learned anything at all about the NFL from Bud. Probably just being polite.
He said that he learn a lot from Bud on I believe channel 13.

You may not like Bus but there was a lot to be learned from Bud when it came to the business of the NFL. I mean Bud didn't get the name bottom line Bud for no reason.

Bob McNair picked Kubiak. He also picked BOB over RS objections. It's why there was so much dysfunction.

Do you think Caserio wanted Culley or Lovie as his HC.
That is in-line with how I think most owners' work. PR is a huge part of the process. Culley wasn't a great hire, but I respect the job he did and I would've preferred two years of Culley vs. one year of Culley and one year of Smith.
As far as Caserio goes, he walked into a **** storm with the Texans. The Stingley pick is the only real gripe I have with him as GM. I don't think he had his legs under him when the coaching changes came about. Pick your battles and let the evidence show what it shows. I doubt he ever lets a coach get the better of him again.

He said that he learn a lot from Bud on I believe channel 13.

You may not like Bus but there was a lot to be learned from Bud when it came to the business of the NFL. I mean Bud didn't get the name bottom line Bud for no reason.
There is a ton of things to learn what not to do from Bud Adams.

The criticism for college players having too little or too much talent around them seems dumb. Of course a guy playing for Ohio State or Alabama is gonna have a ton of talent around them and of course a guy playing for Kentucky is gonna have jack **** around them.

These don't seem to be good ways to evaluate anything.

Look at the qualities each player has. Can you see other players in the NFL that are successful with with those qualities? Whether it be size, footwork, arm strength, accuracy, ability to progress through reads, ability to adapt, creativity, leadership, motor, drive, competitive nature, whatever you look for and want in the player at hand. Quarterback or not. Do you have the infrastructure in place to aid players in developing those skills? To protect them while allowing them to develop? To keep the burden off them while they do?

Given what I see out of the discussion about some of these prospects I don't feel comfortable taking a QB that needs XYZ to go just right on a team that needs layers of help and reinforcement. I think that'd be foolish.
But if leadership on the team sees that there is someone worth a shot, then we have to make sure that happens and that the team manages them well enough.

For the first time in a long time I feel DeMeco being in charge gives me confidence this can be done.

The criticism for college players having too little or too much talent around them seems dumb. Of course a guy playing for Ohio State or Alabama is gonna have a ton of talent around them and of course a guy playing for Kentucky is gonna have jack **** around them.

These don't seem to be good ways to evaluate anything.

Look at the qualities each player has. Can you see other players in the NFL that are successful with with those qualities? Whether it be size, footwork, arm strength, accuracy, ability to progress through reads, ability to adapt, creativity, leadership, motor, drive, competitive nature, whatever you look for and want in the player at hand. Quarterback or not. Do you have the infrastructure in place to aid players in developing those skills? To protect them while allowing them to develop? To keep the burden off them while they do?

Given what I see out of the discussion about some of these prospects I don't feel comfortable taking a QB that needs XYZ to go just right on a team that needs layers of help and reinforcement. I think that'd be foolish.
But if leadership on the team sees that there is someone worth a shot, then we have to make sure that happens and that the team manages them well enough.

For the first time in a long time I feel DeMeco being in charge gives me confidence this can be done.

I don't think anyone is suggesting it's the end all be all for evaluation. It's merely a thing to consider.

Talking about watching qualities/etc it can be kinda difficult to properly evaluate accuracy when your targets aren't in the right place, can also be pretty tough to show the ability to read defenses if you're running for your life every snap, and it can be just as tough to evaluate the player on the whole when they're constantly playing in 3rd and long situations with defenses pinned back and drooling over each next snap.

No data point should the totality of a player, that really should go without saying. Likewise no data point should be completely ignored if you're trying to honestly size a guy up.

I would say ONLY if the kid can sit and learn. Maybe for more than one season. NFL draft busts litter the field with QBs with only 1 year as a starter. I wouldn't touch him on day one of the draft. As far as 2.2, it depends on who's available at the time. The Texans have too many holes to reach on a player who was a one-year starter.
I won't be mad if the Texans roll the dice on Young or Stroud at 1.2. They at least have multiple years as a starting QB in college. IMO Levis is a huge risk. Lots of upside but a pretty low floor. Do you draft based on production or on traits and potential?
Sign Jimmy G and draft Richardson? I'm cool. Richardson sits and Mills is the backup.
I am NOT a fan of running QBs in the NFL. The splash. They make highlight reels. They spend a lot of time on injury reports and IR. Josh Allen is fun to watch, but we won't watch him, at this level of play, for 10+ years. Certainly not Jackson or Murray. Way too small to take the trauma.
I agree 100%

I just don't like the risk of drafting Bryce. Like others have said, its not the height as much as the smaller frame and the injury concern from a big DT jumping on him. I've been wrong before though.

Burrow was actually pretty good the yr before at LSU but was drug down Les Miles offense. Once Oregeron brought in Brady to run his offense Burrow became Joe Cool, but the talent was always there for all to see. He threw with accuracy and anticipation even in Miles crappy old offense.
Nah, Burrough didn't play well before Brady came in, but there is something to a defensive minded coach like Oregeron.

A bit of a tongue in cheek moment.

I’ve been saying from the get-go that Caserio has done his job by getting the Texans out of the hole OB created. I believe Caserio was the spark that got Ryans in the door for an interview b/c Ryans was a hot commodity and managed to better Payton with his interview.

I truly believe Caserio found the right man for the job. Ryans and Caserio look like they’re going to make a good team b/c there seems to be mutual respect and a common vision.
Once they got rid of Esterbe, things changed and that matters. I still have issues with Caserio about the praise of destruction by his good friend.

Ryans is going to get who he wants in FA/Draft.
He is definitely going to be a huge influence on the Texans big board.
If Chicago doesn't take Anderson, we will.
If someone jumps up to #1, they will take a QB and again, Anderson will be there.
I say the odds favor Texans getting him as Chicago may take Carter.
I have seen a board that has them taking Wilson.

Zach Allen would be one of my targets. I like Edmonds also at lb to pair with Harris. The Texans haven't had a cover lb in 4 ever and that includes Demeco who wasn't good in coverage also. They could pair Allen with Collins and Clancey. That alone would elevate the defense to 15 or better.

It's possible to fix the ol/DL and find a quality wr in this draft. Gonna have to pass on a QB this year though to get this done.
Gotta disagree with you there friend.
#2. Young
#12. Q. Johnson
#33 Mazi Smith
#65 Andrew Vorhees or Luke Wypler (also #73)
You also have the option to bring in an edge or the OL.
This team could be relevant again in short order - by seasons end.

Just shows a little more information about the QBs. 2 played with a lot more help and ability on both sides of the ball. 1 worked with less and still managed to put together a very good year
You didn't do your research very well. Alabama has 4 players draftable on offense this year counting Young. Only one OG that may be in the top 100. Trying to simplify it down to how many players in the draft a school has to determine worth of a QB is simply lazy and insulting to your own intelligence

Did you not hear Carsterio saying that he recommends the coach. Did you not hear when Cal says he's more involved in the hc hiring process?

I never said he doesn't recommed who he wants as HC.

Cal hires who he wants to hire. If Cal took Caserio's recommendations Gannon would've been the HC instead of Lovie. Same with this yr and Ryans.

I never said he doesn't recommed who he wants as HC.

Cal hires who he wants to hire. If Cal took Caserio's recommendations Gannon would've been the HC instead of Lovie. Same with this yr and Ryans.
C'mon bro, lets stick to facts and what was said. Cal stated he would be more involved this year, yes or no. Carsterio said he recommends a coach to cal. You really think Cal heard of Culley or even Gannon? Carsterio could've hired Gannon last year except the fact Caserio wanted to choose the guys staff. Cal was more hands on with Demeco hire because of what happened the past 2 hires by Caserio. Watch the interviews and listen, pretty simple.

I thought Miles was Burrows HC his 1st yr in Baton Rouge.

C'mon bro, lets stick to facts and what was said. Cal stated he would be more involved this year, yes or no. Carsterio said he recommends a coach to cal. You really think Cal heard of Culley or even Gannon? Carsterio could've hired Gannon last year except the fact Caserio wanted to choose the guys staff. Cal was more hands on with Demeco hire because of what happened the past 2 hires by Caserio. Watch the interviews and listen, pretty simple.

Not at all what I've heard.

Question, do you think Caserio said Lovie Smith is my guy and I gotta have this guy as the next HC.

Cal wanted a minority HC to appease Derrick and because Caserio knew the team was going to be bad, he went with a teacher in Culley. A guy he knew wouldn't be on Kirby for the long run.

Not at all what I've heard.

Question, do you think Caserio said Lovie Smith is my guy and I gotta have this guy as the next HC.

Cal wanted a minority HC to appease Derrick and because Caserio knew the team was going to be bad, he went with a teacher in Culley. A guy he knew wouldn't be on Kirby for the long run.
Why would Cal say he would be more incolved in the coaching search this time if he wanted Culley the 1st time. Let me say this for the thousand time, Watson didn't want a minority coach. He wanted a coach who would be a leader and maximize his skills. All of the teams who wanted to trade for Watson, non had a minority coach, correct? The team he's on now doesn't have a minority coach either. This is a false narrative that keeps getting pushed. To state facts, Caserio is the one who hired Lovie as the DC before he even finished the process in which Culley was named HC even though he knew Frazier wanted nothing to do with Lovie, dating back to Tampa.

Back