Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Do you think Anderson's lack of effort or lack of drive in some 2022 games were
1. Standing on his 2021 season
2. Protecting himself for NFL

3.Both 1 and 2

4. Something else.

He had very good stats this last year but was not same athlete.
He has substantially more QB pressures than Bosa or Hutchinson. Quite surprising actually.

Hooker is a one read QB at the ripe age of 25 and coming off an ACL. Nah I’m avoiding him at all costs. If you aren’t gonna take Stroud, Young or Richardson then just punt the QB decision to next year
From what I have read, it seems like if Hooker was a one read quarterback and I'm not saying he is, it was because of the coach's decision. Almost all articles I have read stated high probability he can be translated into an NFL quarterback with the right coach. I do not see a huge difference between Young, Stroud and Hooker in skill set and athletic ability. The biggest difference seems to be two are considered top 5 draft picks and the other one is considered a second round at best. I was a huge fan of Hendon Hooker in 2021 and 22 seasons pre ACL. If we get the right WCO coordinator...Slowik
.. and a great QB coach and apparently willing Gary Kubiak to guide, I give Hooker as good a chance to succeed as the others.

3.Both 1 and 2

4. Something else.

A little of both, I wouldn't be opposed to picking Anderson at 1-2 and Hyatt at 1-12. I would also draft Henley at 2-32 and trade back into the 2nd for Smith. 3-73/4-103

FA would be Minshew/Edmunds/Bradbury/Ward. I think the Texans have enough Cap room to sign these guys.

3rd rd pick RB Achane if he falls to 3-64, if not RB S
4th rd pick Payne Durham after trading up using the Texans 5th and 6th rd picks
From what I have read, it seems like if Hooker was a one read quarterback and I'm not saying he is, it was because of the coach's decision. Almost all articles I have read stated high probability he can be translated into an NFL quarterback with the right coach. I do not see a huge difference between Young, Stroud and Hooker in skill set and athletic ability. The biggest difference seems to be two are considered top 5 draft picks and the other one is considered a second round at best. I was a huge fan of Hendon Hooker in 2021 and 22 seasons pre ACL. If we get the right WCO coordinator...Slowik
.. and a great QB coach and apparently willing Gary Kubiak to guide, I give Hooker as good a chance to succeed as the others.

Hooker has about the same ability to escape the pocket as Young/Stroud. He's got a better arm than both Young/Stroud. He's not as accurate as Stroud. But has about as good of accuracy as Young. He throws with good anticipation and before injury stood in the pocket as well as Young and better than Stroud. I'm betting working with Klint Kubiak/Jerrod Jonson and Slowik he can really improve his weaknesses. Being 25 really doesn't bother me that much. He can probably play for 8-10 yrs and I would be happy with that. Hooker comes from a football family.

A little of both, I wouldn't be opposed to picking Anderson at 1-2 and Hyatt at 1-12. I would also draft Henley at 2-32 and trade back into the 2nd for Smith. 3-73/4-103

FA would be Minshew/Edmunds/Bradbury/Ward. I think the Texans have enough Cap room to sign these guys.

Hooker has about the same ability to escape the pocket as Young/Stroud. He's got a better arm than both Young/Stroud. He's not as accurate as Stroud. But has about as good of accuracy as Young. He throws with good anticipation and before injury stood in the pocket as well as Young and better than Stroud. I'm betting working with Klint Kubiak/Jerrod Jonson and Slowik he can really improve his weaknesses. Being 25 really doesn't bother me that much. He can probably play for 8-10 yrs and I would be happy with that. Hooker comes from a football family.
If we can get Hooker round 2; trade downs from 2 and 12 could be huge in turning this team around. Add in Pocic and Bradbury for OC and RG plus Tremaine Edmunds MLB and why in the world isn't everybody Is screaming for nose tackle Daron Payne 25 with 12 sacks as a nose/DT? There's your two run pluggers!
Bring back Okoronkwu.

Grab a bunch of round twos and two round threes.

Like I said the issue isn’t really with longevity it’s with development. Less upside with Hooker and more questions about why his issues haven’t been ironed out since he’s got 3 years on other prospects
Ryans saw 4 QBs used this year at San Francisco and how they molded their game to suit Purdy - he will know the importance of getting the most out of a rookie.

Stop ******* around! Draft Young or Stroud. All this scenarios are wasting time. Been down the draft the DLineman road….twice. Where did that get the Texans? Nowhere. Trading down gets you may be a project QB. I am TIRED OF PROJECTS AT QB. Draft Young or Stroud and stop ******* around and trying to get cute. You have enough draft picks. No need to trade for more. There is something as too many picks in a draft (eventually have to pay them all at the same time). Draft Young or Stroud at #2 and build from there.

If you tell me that Johnston can learn not to body catch as much and learn how to better high point the ball, then I'm on board with Johnston at 1-12. It can be done AJ learned how to get better at these things from his rookie yr to his 2nd yr.
Maybe JJ Watt can come in and teach the WR's how to use the jugs machine. Watt used to work the hell out of that jugs machine.

Washington State LB Henley? The guy that should be available in the 4th round?

If we can get Hooker round 2; trade downs from 2 and 12 could be huge in turning this team around. Add in Pocic and Bradbury for OC and RG plus Tremaine Edmunds MLB and why in the world isn't everybody Is screaming for nose tackle Daron Payne 25 with 12 sacks as a nose/DT? There's your two run pluggers!
Bring back Okoronkwu.

I'm pretty sure Hooker is going to fall to at least the 3rd, if not the 4th. With his injury, I think he's expected to start the season on either the PUP list or IR. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play at all next season.

Washington State LB Henley? The guy that should be available in the 4th round?

I seriously doubt he makes it out of the 2nd. Did you see him in the Sr. Bowl fast/can cover RB/TE's and is a solid tackler. Hope you're right I would be all over him in the 3rd.

Stop ******* around! Draft Young or Stroud. All this scenarios are wasting time. Been down the draft the DLineman road….twice. Where did that get the Texans? Nowhere. Trading down gets you may be a project QB. I am TIRED OF PROJECTS AT QB. Draft Young or Stroud and stop ******* around and trying to get cute. You have enough draft picks. No need to trade for more. There is something as too many picks in a draft (eventually have to pay them all at the same time). Draft Young or Stroud at #2 and build from there.
Then you should not want Young or Stroud since they are both projects at QB.

I seriously doubt he makes it out of the 2nd. Did you see him in the Sr. Bowl fast/can cover RB/TE's and is a solid tackler. Hope you're right I would be all over him in the 3rd.
Like you said...you have a different evaluation of players than most people do. I really didn't notice Henley in the Senior Bowl. I noticed the TE's catching balls, but I didn't really notice the LB's stopping the TE's from catching them.

If we are taking a LB at 2.32, I'd take Trenton Simpson, Noah Sewell, Henry To'oTo'o, Owen Pappoe, and Jack Campbell, before Henley.

Most of the top players don't play in all-star games. The Senior Bowl usually has the guys that have 2nd thru 4th round grades. The Shrine Game usually has the guys that are Day 3 and UDFA's. The NFLPA Collegiate bowl usually has mostly UDFA's with a few draftable players mixed in.

Last edited:
Reactions: JB
Where does that stat come from?
Sorry dude, can't find it now. Ran across it somewhere today and was very surprised by the stat. Shoulda posted it in here.
CnD posted it this thread #1204

Another very important fact to consider...................Anderson never had a significant injury in the 3 years at Alabama. Sept last year, he left a game walking off the field after a what was reported being due to a "knee injury." In fact, I have found out that this injury was a grade I MCL.............an injury that did not affect his subsequent performance, nor does it place him at any increase risk for re-injury.

Bring back Okoronkwu.

Payne is probably going to the Bears accordingto my Bears friend. They have the most cap space and eed to spend a lot of it just to hit the mandatory cap floor.

Like you said...you have a different evaluation of players than most people do. I really didn't notice Henley in the Senior Bowl. I noticed the TE's catching balls, but I didn't really notice the LB's stopping the TE's from catching them.

If we are taking a LB at 2.32, I'd take Trenton Simpson, Noah Sewell, Henry To'oTo'o, Owen Pappoe, and Jack Campbell, before Henley.

Most of the top players don't play in all-star games. The Senior Bowl usually has the guys that have 2nd thru 4th round grades. The Shrine Game usually has the guys that are Day 3 and UDFA's. The NFLPA Collegiate bowl usually has mostly UDFA's with a few draftable players mixed in.

Hence why I've got Henley at 2-32.

Don't want Simpson and I am hoping they pick-up Edmunds in FA to play MLB. I'm looking for speed and tackling ability at the LB positions.. Henley/Edmunds/Harris all have these traits.

I get why you like the better known names though.

3.Both 1 and 2

4. Something else.

If you're implying his MCL injury was responsible, I would have to strongly disagree.

Payne is probably going to the Bears accordingto my Bears friend. They have the most cap space and eed to spend a lot of it just to hit the mandatory cap floor.

Hence why I've got Henley at 2-32.

Don't want Simpson and I am hoping they pick-up Edmunds in FA to play MLB. I'm looking for speed and tackling ability at the LB positions.. Henley/Edmunds/Harris all have these traits.

I get why you like the better known names though.
If you want Speed, look at Pappoe. Simpson has elite speed, and good size at 6'-4" to cover TE's. Pappoe and Henley are both 6'-1", but Pappoe runs low 4.3's, and Henley runs mid 4.5's

If you want Speed, look at Pappoe. Simpson has elite speed, and good size at 6'-4" to cover TE's. Pappoe and Henley are both 6'-1", but Pappoe runs low 4.3's, and Henley runs mid 4.5's
You may not know this but Henley was a WR before moving to LB. You're right though, there's a good chance he will fall to the 3rd rd and he will be a steal at that point. IMHO.

mom scared of Young at QB (Alabama ain’t QBU and he’s small. I like Stroud better but everybody seems to shy away from Stroud. I haven’t heard enough about Levi’s. What’s the pros/cons??

Get on YouTube and search Will Levis scouting report. It will give you multiple points of view.

Get on YouTube and search Will Levis scouting report. It will give you multiple points of view.
I have my own point of view on Levis. He's got Herbert type talent, but hasn't developed properly due to poor talent around him and playing in the SEC. Even then he was the QB that won 10 and 7 games the last 2 years. That's unheard of at Kentucky. With this said any team that drafts him is betting on developing that talent. He really needs to be developed like Mahomes was and sit for a year.

I would feel much better if Kubiak made the decision to draft Levis and helped Klint develop Levis.

What makes you think that Young or Stroud are Day 1 starters? I don’t see either QB or my choice (Hooker) as a plug-n-play QB1. They all need a season behind a veteran at most. If the veteran isn’t putting “W’s” in the column….then the rookie should see his first action after the bye week.

I'm pretty sure Hooker is going to fall to at least the 3rd, if not the 4th. With his injury, I think he's expected to start the season on either the PUP list or IR. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play at all next season.
All research including CnnnD's info leads me in direction not only should Hook be ready to go health wise but have long career concerning that ACL. He is no more a project than Levis who some say will be top 9 and one or 2, the first QB.

Players available 'later' are attractive unless another team drafts them beforep. It's a risk to decide when to just get your guy and not brag how you almost got him later.

All research including CnnnD's info leads me in direction not only should Hook be ready to go health wise but have long career concerning that ACL. He is no more a project than Levis who some say will be top 9 and one or 2, the first QB.

Players available 'later' are attractive unless another team drafts them beforep. It's a risk to decide when to just get your guy and not brag how you almost got him later.
Didn't @CloakNNNdagger say that Hooker should be out for 12 months? That would put his return in November. I think CND said Hooker could return earlier, but would need time to get back to game shape. So, a possible return in August, but would need additional time to be ready to play. So, I don't think he would be ready to play until midseason. If teams think he'll be ready to play sooner, they may take him earlier, but without being able to work him out, I think he falls. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Didn't listen, but I'm sure praises were sung. Rightfully so, he played well and his team still lost.
It’s the breakdown/evaluation of his play. As a student of the game and always talking about where you would draft a player. You’ll think you would be interested to see how old buddy broke his play down in that game.

I have my own point of view on Levis. He's got Herbert type talent, but hasn't developed properly due to poor talent around him and playing in the SEC. Even then he was the QB that won 10 and 7 games the last 2 years. That's unheard of at Kentucky. With this said any team that drafts him is betting on developing that talent. He really needs to be developed like Mahomes was and sit for a year.

I would feel much better if Kubiak made the decision to draft Levis and helped Klint develop Levis.

If Anderson isn't there at 1-2 my choice would be Levis.

Like you say, maybe Minchew in FA? I haven't moved on from Mills, yet.

I'm still taking Duggan later. :D

:coffee:

Didn't @CloakNNNdagger say that Hooker should be out for 12 months? That would put his return in November. I think CND said Hooker could return earlier, but would need time to get back to game shape. So, a possible return in August, but would need additional time to be ready to play. So, I don't think he would be ready to play until midseason. If teams think he'll be ready to play sooner, they may take him earlier, but without being able to work him out, I think he falls. I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
Keep in mind, when looking a "truly play ready," you're talking about a QB.....not a WR, TE or DB.

Yes Hooker has been involved in a college program for 5 years and played for 4 of those years I’d expect him to be further along than he is. I’m not sure how much upside there is for a guy with that history who we’ve yet to see run a full field read offense
Are you sure that's a H.Hendon limitation or a Tennessee limitation?

Serious question. KISS is a real thing at the CFB level

Hope so. But the word is Indy will be making an offer to trade up for that #1 pick.
Here's some thoughts...

Colts trade up for Young? He's too short but.. if Colts think he could be franchise 🤔? Same with some thinking Raiders or Panthers trading up for Young.. isn't he too short?

Colts trade up for Stroud? If most think Young first QB taken why not wait and get Stroud or.. save on offer by trading with Arizona?

I think Bears concerned with trading to 4 as Houston might take Anderson and Arizona Carter. I would be okay with that if i were Bears as I'd take Tyree and the trade package.. just not sure Bears would be ok with perception of losing top two D guys.

For a QB, it also depends on how he is used. If he's in an RPO offense that requires him to run more, his "ready to play" date will be pushed back.

My guess, Ryans would lean towards bringing a version of the WCO to the Texans. As for Hooker, the recent update I've seen had him being available at the start of NFL camps. They identified his non-contact injury quickly and had it repaired, from what I understand, right around 2 weeks later. He's already been rehabbing the knee....so it could be interesting as to when he's officially ready to go. To be quite honest, I think Hooker's time in the draft will kick off around the Tampa Bay pick at 19, if he's still on the board.

Teams that may not let Hooker slide to pick 33:

19. Tampa Bay
20. Seattle (If they addressed other needs at 5)
23. Baltimore (If they don't close the gap in securing Lamar Jackson)
30. New Orleans

If Texans don't draft a QB at 2....I believe their phone could get really busy before their 12 pick if Hooker, Levis, or Richardson are still on the board. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with selecting Hooker at #12 if the team has a chance to check on his progress and see the medical charts during the Tennessee Pro Day.

My guess, Ryans would lean towards bringing a version of the WCO to the Texans. As for Hooker, the recent update I've seen had him being available at the start of NFL camps. They identified his non-contact injury quickly and had it repaired, from what I understand, right around 2 weeks later. He's already been rehabbing the knee....so it could be interesting as to when he's officially ready to go. To be quite honest, I think Hooker's time in the draft will kick off around the Tampa Bay pick at 19, if he's still on the board.

Teams that may not let Hooker slide to pick 33:

19. Tampa Bay
20. Seattle (If they addressed other needs at 5)
23. Baltimore (If they don't close the gap in securing Lamar Jackson)
30. New Orleans

If Texans don't draft a QB at 2....I believe their phone could get really busy before their 12 pick if Hooker, Levis, or Richardson are still on the board. Personally, I wouldn't have an issue with selecting Hooker at #12 if the team has a chance to check on his progress and see the medical charts during the Tennessee Pro Day.
There are two teams I think will be extremely interested in Richardson - Carolina and Baltimore. If Panthers can't find funds for a monster move up to #1, they may attempt a move up to #2 or more probably #3. Baltimore may be in that mix too.

Back