Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

What prognostigaters aren't looking at is just how weak the AFC South is. No one is going to sweep this thing. No one will be swept. Add to that the AFC South is playing the weakest NFC division, the NFC South. And the bonus game 17 will be the Cardinals. If the Texans aren't careful, they might end up with 8 wins.
Another thing that they don't seem to consider is that lots of other teams have made changes with coaching staff so they too will have to make the same or similar adjustments as the Texans and those teams will also have to gel with new players.

Another thing that they don't seem to consider is that lots of other teams have made changes with coaching staff so they too will have to make the same or similar adjustments as the Texans and those teams will also have to gel with new players.
Last year there were 10 teams that had new (or partially new) coaching staffs. The net W/L totals from those teams from the previous season was zero. Some improved (Vikings, Giants). Some regressed (Bears, Raiders). Some remained the same (Dolphins, Texans). All told, it depended on the team and the staffs that came in.

Raise your right hand if you think the Texans have improved their coaching staff. Now raise your left hand if you think the Texans have improved their talent base. If you are raising two hands, the Texans are one of the most likely teams to improve their record from 2022.

Last year there were 10 teams that had new (or partially new) coaching staffs. The net W/L totals from those teams from the previous season was zero. Some improved (Vikings, Giants). Some regressed (Bears, Raiders). Some remained the same (Dolphins, Texans). All told, it depended on the team and the staffs that came in.

Raise your right hand if you think the Texans have improved their coaching staff. Now raise your left hand if you think the Texans have improved their talent base. If you are raising two hands, the Texans are one of the most likely teams to improve their record from 2022.
Correct!
Don't expect the talking head/prognosticators to consider those factors or amend their opinions of the Texans even if they did.

Raise your right hand if you think the Texans have improved their coaching staff.
I honestly don’t know anything about our coaching staff other than hope.

DeMeco didn’t miss a beat filling in for Saleh, but that was Saleh’s defense with a much fiercer front-four than we have.

I’m hoping for the best, but honestly don’t know.

Which of our coaches can you say are solid at their position?

Texans fans have been paying through the nose over the years, trying to support the Texans. They're used to being held up/robbed.............Texans fans are more than used to holding both hands in the air................

Anderson's "collapsing" numbers were more than Carter and Smith's combined.

You're beginning to remind me of the Black Knight. "It's only a flesh wound."

R.ade530825467de16f093c23f530ffd74
LOL
”I’m invincible!”
“You’re a Looney!”

I honestly don’t know anything about our coaching staff other than hope.

DeMeco didn’t miss a beat filling in for Saleh, but that was Saleh’s defense with a much fiercer front-four than we have.

I’m hoping for the best, but honestly don’t know.

Undlin is one of the best secondary coaches in the league. Strausser has had a long track record of success on the OL.

C Juice Scruggs regarded as Texans' 'most questionable' 2023 draft pick
Mark Lane

May 4, 2023 12:52 pm CT

No team nails every pick in the draft. Even Nick Caserio says making a pick is a 50-50 proposition.

As such, it is only natural to conclude the Houston Texans had a selection that was entirely head-scratching to everyone outside the organization.

According to Josh Edwards from CBS Sports, the Texans’ “most questionable” pick from the three-day event at the end of April was the selection of former Penn State center Juice Scruggs.
The Texans have had a clear objective over the past two years. They locked up offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, then drafted edge rusher Will Anderson Jr., offensive guard Kenyon Green and Scruggs. It is obvious that they are placing an emphasis on getting more physical at the point of contact so it is easily understood why they were drawn to adding an interior lineman. However, Scruggs was lower on my personal board.
There were other aspects of the Scruggs selection that would have qualified as questionable more so than their rank on a draft analyst’s big board.

Firstly, the Texans did not possess a Round 2 selection to start Day 2 thanks to the trade with the Arizona Cardinals to take Anderson. Houston traded up to take Scruggs No. 62 overall because they wanted a younger option to compete with veterans Michael Deiter, Jimmy Morrissey, and Scott Quessenberry.

Secondly, even though the Texans already made a move to shore up their center position, and complimented Scruggs for his position flex along the interior, Houston went ahead and essentially duplicated the pick in Round 6 at No. 201 overall with the Jarrett Patterson selection. The 6-5, 306-pounder played center at Notre Dame.

Center was a position the Texans needed to address in the draft. Their redundant methods may be more questionable

There are so many titles in the Texans coaching staff. Undin is the defensive passing game coordinator............additionally, there are separate cornerback and safety coaches.
And we have a boom box coordinator. That has to be worth one win, minimum.

Is coach Ryans going to play for a tie in OT? Will Davis Mills be playing WR in the new offense? Why would anyone who watched the Texans last year not believe 1000% that this staff will be better? I get the devil's advocate stuff. But, c'mon man!

Panthers playing host to ‘top 10’ game of 2023 season
Anthony Rizzuti
Fri, May 5, 2023, 11:05 PM CDT·2 min read

Is anyone outside of the Carolinas and Texas really looking forward to watching the Carolina Panthers or the Houston Texans this upcoming season? Maybe not.

But how about watching the Carolina Panthers and the Houston Texans?

Around the NFL writer Nick Shook recently listed his top 10 games of the 2023 campaign. Coming in at No. 10 is the matchup between the teams who held the first two picks from last week’s annual announcing of names.
Shook writes:
Thank you, 2023 NFL Draft, for making this into a must-see event. The Panthers and Texans might not find themselves among the elite Super Bowl contenders this season, but because they each selected their quarterbacks of the future (Bryce Young for Carolina and C.J. Stroud for Houston) with the top two overall picks in April, they’re all but guaranteed a large audience when they face each other. Alabama’s Young and Ohio State’s Stroud watched their teammates battle in the 2021 College Football Playoff National Championship, but the two QBs never got to square off directly in college. The closest they’ve had to a true showdown came off the field, in the 2021 Heisman Trophy voting, which Young won by a significant margin. Finally, we’ll get our first chance to see who can lead their team to victory over the other.
Being that the paths of Young and Stroud have been crossing since their middle school days, it only seems appropriate that they’ll be facing off against one another in their rookie years. And as Shook notes, it’ll be the first actual face-off between the California kids.

Now, we’re just awaiting the date. (By the way, Week 1 sounds great, doesn’t it?)

Panthers playing host to ‘top 10’ game of 2023 season
Anthony Rizzuti
Fri, May 5, 2023, 11:05 PM CDT·2 min read

Is anyone outside of the Carolinas and Texas really looking forward to watching the Carolina Panthers or the Houston Texans this upcoming season? Maybe not.

But how about watching the Carolina Panthers and the Houston Texans?

Around the NFL writer Nick Shook recently listed his top 10 games of the 2023 campaign. Coming in at No. 10 is the matchup between the teams who held the first two picks from last week’s annual announcing of names.
Shook writes:

Being that the paths of Young and Stroud have been crossing since their middle school days, it only seems appropriate that they’ll be facing off against one another in their rookie years. And as Shook notes, it’ll be the first actual face-off between the California kids.

Now, we’re just awaiting the date. (By the way, Week 1 sounds great, doesn’t it?)

Perfect early season Thursday night matchup or maybe one of the Monday Night doubleheader’s.

Why would anyone who watched the Texans last year not believe 1000% that this staff will be better? I get the devil's advocate stuff. But, c'mon man!
My memory is funny like that. Everybody else sees rainbows & lollipops on the horizon. I keep looking in the rear view. Everyone was 1000% sure Pep couldn’t be worse than the BO’b leftovers.

1683398095101.png

Trust me, I wish I saw the rainbows

My memory is funny like that. Everybody else sees rainbows & lollipops on the horizon. I keep looking in the rear view. Everyone was 1000% sure Pep couldn’t be worse than the BO’b leftovers.

View attachment 12059

Trust me, I wish I saw the rainbows

Not everyone. I kept hearing how Pep worked magic with QBs until I listed every QB he worked with that wasn't named Luck or Herbert. It wasn't a pretty list.

I get that this coaching staff still has to prove it on the field, but just the fact that the way the Texans went it about it felt different. This was a real HC search this year where all of the candidates were legit. We'll all see once the games are played, of course, but even me, who is definitely a prove it to me first type, can tell it feels different.

Still not quite sold on Caserio, but I believe the O'Brien/Easterby stench is finally out of the building. And if Hannah truly is more active in the ownership part, well, that feels different too. And in a good way.

So even I, who knows better than to get overly excited until you can prove it, can see a light down at the end of the tunnel now. Time will tell if it's truly daylight, or a train barreling towards us.

So even I, who knows better than to get overly excited until you can prove it, can see a light down at the end of the tunnel now. Time will tell if it's truly daylight, or a train barreling towards us.
I can't say I'm really sold on the Texans but for the first time in years I'm not going into a season expecting dysfunction & failure of one kind or another.

I know it's a pretty low bar but at least before reality slaps me in the face I like the coaching changes & think I see improved talent on the team.

Of course Houston football has a history of building my hopes up in the off-season just to smash them back down once the season starts. Here's hoping that I'm not just drinking the kool-aid & we really are seeing the beginnings of the Texans being relevant in the league.

Not everyone. I kept hearing how Pep worked magic with QBs until I listed every QB he worked with that wasn't named Luck or Herbert. It wasn't a pretty list.

I get that this coaching staff still has to prove it on the field, but just the fact that the way the Texans went it about it felt different. This was a real HC search this year where all of the candidates were legit. We'll all see once the games are played, of course, but even me, who is definitely a prove it to me first type, can tell it feels different.

Still not quite sold on Caserio, but I believe the O'Brien/Easterby stench is finally out of the building. And if Hannah truly is more active in the ownership part, well, that feels different too. And in a good way.

Light at the far end of the tunnel, yep. That’s all I said. I’m responding to the slam dunk opinions counting our coaching staff as a plus in the division. I’m not there yet.

But there was a Jalen Carter, a Nolan Smith, and last year there was a Jordan Davis, Sauce Gardner and Kayvon Thibodeaux and every one of them go with an extra 1st RD pick in 2024. And Jared Verse (2024) had a better year than Anderson.
Love Jared Verse and wouldn't mind Caserio picking him if he falls to the Texans next yr.

What a misleading headline. He uses that headline but his source says Jets move for Rodgers was the worst. Sportskeeda is not someone I would put a lot of creedence in anyway
Thanks.

I feel so much better that it is only the 2nd worst move of the offseason.

• Haha
Reactions: JB
Nobody knows how bad or good the move is (trading up for Will Anderson) for at least one year. NOBODY!!!

Best SEC defensive player for three years since he was 19. Super freak. Better than Clowney better than Mario Williams, off track record in College alone. Pair him up with best head coach to develop his tools. Take what bunch of media heads say with a grain of salt. Everybody thinks “they” could do better but this is the real world. Was a deal whose parameters where discussed ahead of time if opportunity presented itself, which it did.

Nobody knows how bad or good the move is (trading up for Will Anderson) for at least one year. NOBODY!!!
We know regardless of position he was considered by most to be the best prospect in the draft. We know the Texans gave up the equivalent of the #3 overall pick.

I don't understand how taking the best prospect with the #3 overall pick can be the worst move this offseason.

What a misleading headline. He uses that headline but his source says Jets move for Rodgers was the worst. Sportskeeda is not someone I would put a lot of creedence in anyway
So the Jets had a great team last year, except that they had a terrible QB running the offense. They trade for a future HOF QB, giving up not that much to do so, and that's considered the worst move of the offseason. That writer needs to put down the pipe.

We know regardless of position he was considered by most to be the best prospect in the draft. We know the Texans gave up the equivalent of the #3 overall pick.

I don't understand how taking the best prospect with the #3 overall pick can be the worst move this offseason.
Sauce was best overall prospect in last years draft #4 overall. Jets stole one so were able to give up more for Aaron. Pretty sure that also played into consideration for Texans (not to pass on franchise player if available). I prefer this scenario to last years results, that to me was worst case result. Be decisive, make the move for elite talent not just depth.

The freelance writer is from Nigeria.
He got his BS in 2019 then studied law in Nigeria until 2021.

You should take his opinion with a grain of salt.
Stereotype much? Sounds like he is more educated than most here. Or is it the word Nigeria that triggered you?

So the Jets had a great team last year, except that they had a terrible QB running the offense. They trade for a future HOF QB, giving up not that much to do so, and that's considered the worst move of the offseason. That writer needs to put down the pipe.

Or people need to stop reading painfully obvious clickbait..

Reactions: JB

Best SEC defensive player for three years since he was 19. Super freak. Better than Clowney better than Mario Williams, off track record in College alone. Pair him up with best head coach to develop his tools. Take what bunch of media heads say with a grain of salt. Everybody thinks “they” could do better but this is the real world. Was a deal whose parameters where discussed ahead of time if opportunity presented itself, which it did.
But is Anderson actually a freak ? A physical freak ?
Well both Clowney and Mario were clearly freaks, but I dunno if that could be said about Anderson ?

Back