Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Would you feel better if they gave up to draft CJ Stroud? That's the way I look at it. They gave up that draft capital so they could draft both a QB and the best pass rusher in the draft
This is exactly how I look at the trade and the Texans for taken advantage of. Of course y'all know what I think of Stroud.

But is Anderson actually a freak ? A physical freak ?
Well both Clowney and Mario were clearly freaks, but I dunno if that could be said about Anderson ?
He doesn't look like a freak athlete, but his production is quite freaky.

He made his presence known 4 out of 5 times he rushed the passer.

Especially if you watch his game tapes in 2021, he looked unblockable quite often.

Well both Clowney and Mario were clearly freaks, but I dunno if that could be said about Anderson ?

Already stated the obvious, hands down best prospect in 2023 draft.

Anderson played in all of the available 41 games during his Alabama career, finishing with a 37-4 record. Anderson's Tide won the 2020 College Football Playoff national championship game and the 2020 and 2021 SEC titles.

• 2nd in Alabama career sacks (34.5)
  • 2nd in Alabama career tackles for loss (62)
  • 2nd in Alabama single-season tackles for loss (34.5, 2021)
  • 3rd in Alabama single-season sacks (17.5, 2021)
  • Bednarik Award (2022)
  • Rotary Lombardi (2022)
  • Lott IMPACT Trophy (2022)
  • Nagurski Trophy (2021-22)
  • Unanimous All-American (2022)
  • First-Team All-SEC (2022)
  • Unanimous First-Team All-American (2021)
  • First-Team All-SEC (2021)
  • Shaun Alexander-FWAA Freshman of the Year (2020)
  • Freshman All-American by FWAA, 247 Sports and The Athletic (2020)
  • SEC All-Freshman Team (2020)
  • 2nd-Team All-SEC by AP (2020)

Those 2 were physical freaks but that really didn’t amount to much. Give me a high motor guy like Cushing, Watt or Ryans, which I think Anderson has. I think Anderson has a much better work ethic than Mario and Clowney.

Those 2 were physical freaks but that really didn’t amount to much. Give me a high motor guy like Cushing, Watt or Ryans, which I think Anderson has. I think Anderson has a much better work ethic than Mario and Clowney.
Anderson is more freaky, you know why? Besides as you mentioned, work ethic and doesn’t take plays off, most amazing stat line is not the sacks or tackles for loss, crazy as they are, it’s his availability. Played in all 41 games even meaningless bowl game for the team. I still remember JJ Watts last game for Wisconsin against Oregon. Remember saying Texans gotta draft this guy, completely unblockable & high motor.

If someone still doesn't understand that the cost of getting Anderson was actually the cost of getting Stroud, they don't understand the real situation. Or they don't want to understand.

I saw one guy (PFF dude, maybe) who totally refused to treat Anderson/Stroud as a package deal and refused to look at it in that light. He was even told that if they pick Anderson at 2, they don't have the opportunity to pick Stroud at 3 OR they have to trade a lot more to get him. And the guy refused to listen to that or really even consider that logic.

Nobody knows how bad or good the move is (trading up for Will Anderson) for at least one year. NOBODY!!!

Best SEC defensive player for three years since he was 19. Super freak. Better than Clowney better than Mario Williams, off track record in College alone. Pair him up with best head coach to develop his tools. Take what bunch of media heads say with a grain of salt. Everybody thinks “they” could do better but this is the real world. Was a deal whose parameters where discussed ahead of time if opportunity presented itself, which it did.

There aren’t many situations better for Anderson to be successful than this one. He’s got the perfect coach to bring out the best in him going into the NFL. And he appears to have the work ethic needed to be a defensive cornerstone player.

He will be the best player on defense day 1. He will wreck games. He will change the culture down on Kirby. :texflag:

I saw one guy (PFF dude, maybe) who totally refused to treat Anderson/Stroud as a package deal and refused to look at it in that light. He was even told that if they pick Anderson at 2, they don't have the opportunity to pick Stroud at 3 OR they have to trade a lot more to get him. And the guy refused to listen to that or really even consider that logic.
You nailed it.

My mind is made up. Do not confuse me with logic or facts!

There aren’t many situations better for Anderson to be successful than this one. He’s got the perfect coach to bring out the best in him going into the NFL. And he appears to have the work ethic needed to be a defensive cornerstone player.

He will be the best player on defense day 1. He will wreck games. He will change the culture down on Kirby. :texflag:
I like both Will Anderson and JC Stroud's enthusiasm for playing for Houston. I realize that they are happy just to be in the NFL but I think they really are pleased to come to houston . They were excited about playing with each other also. Stroud rooting for Dell; these are things building chemistry.

Anderson is more freaky, you know why? Besides as you mentioned, work ethic and doesn’t take plays off, most amazing stat line is not the sacks or tackles for loss, crazy as they are, it’s his availability. Played in all 41 games even meaningless bowl game for the team. I still remember JJ Watts last game for Wisconsin against Oregon. Remember saying Texans gotta draft this guy, completely unblockable & high motor.

Though fans booed the pick, I really did like the Watt selection at the time. Everything I'd seen and read about him was glowing. Wade was really thinking outside the box on that and he was only able to do it because of Clowney's freakish talent. I was definitely surprised though.

Had Clowney been less gifted, I would've liked the Watt pick a lot less.

Anderson isn't nearly as gifted as Mario or Clowney. Maybe that's why he was available in trade...

Though fans booed the pick, I really did like the Watt selection at the time. Everything I'd seen and read about him was glowing. Wade was really thinking outside the box on that and he was only able to do it because of Clowney's freakish talent. I was definitely surprised though.

Anderson isn't nearly as gifted as Mario or Clowney. Maybe that's why he was available in trade...
Ummm, Watt was drafted 3 years before Clowney

Will Anderson is underrated and Mario/Clowney overrated.

Yeah, Mario was under appreciated here
Under appreciated really? He had his chance to shine with all the pieces in place, came up lame after 5 games. Texans would have been formable in playoffs. Nagging injuries always keep him from playing an entire season. Texans still willing to pay the man but he wanted out, they could have just franchised him but wanted to do right by him. Whatever.

Already stated the obvious, hands down best prospect in 2023 draft.

Anderson played in all of the available 41 games during his Alabama career, finishing with a 37-4 record. Anderson's Tide won the 2020 College Football Playoff national championship game and the 2020 and 2021 SEC titles.

• 2nd in Alabama career sacks (34.5)
  • 2nd in Alabama career tackles for loss (62)
  • 2nd in Alabama single-season tackles for loss (34.5, 2021)
  • 3rd in Alabama single-season sacks (17.5, 2021)
  • Bednarik Award (2022)
  • Rotary Lombardi (2022)
  • Lott IMPACT Trophy (2022)
  • Nagurski Trophy (2021-22)
  • Unanimous All-American (2022)
  • First-Team All-SEC (2022)
  • Unanimous First-Team All-American (2021)
  • First-Team All-SEC (2021)
  • Shaun Alexander-FWAA Freshman of the Year (2020)
  • Freshman All-American by FWAA, 247 Sports and The Athletic (2020)
  • SEC All-Freshman Team (2020)
  • 2nd-Team All-SEC by AP (2020)
Anderson's college production is indeed very impressive but it's irrelevant when discussing whether or not he's a physical freak.

Under appreciated really? He had his chance to shine with all the pieces in place, came up lame after 5 games. Texans would have been formable in playoffs. Nagging injuries always keep him from playing an entire season. Texans still willing to pay the man but he wanted out, they could have just franchised him but wanted to do right by him. Whatever.

Has he (both really) not been chastised by the Texans fan base? Neither of them left overrated by anyone here...

And yet - for context:

After the last few years of putrid dl play, a lot of us would've killed to have them in their prime. I think a lot of us would appreciate them more now.

Fact of the matter is, both were physical freaks who didnt live up to their talent. And you're comparing them to a guy who hasn't taken a snap yet. Time will tell.

Your mention of how Jc left is a nonstarter and not relevant to the rest of your post. It only shows WHY you're biased. ( I hated that trade to.)

Don't know about NFL yet but his last two years college he was significantly better. I don't care about physical if he gets freaky statistics and WA does, I'm in his corner.
Anderson is under 6'4", only weighs 253 lbs, and has a 4.60 40 time according to his WIKI page which is not the measurements & stats of a physical freak edge rusher.
You may not care about those sorts of things which is fine, but it's what my post was about.
Now Anderson may go on to make all of forget about JJs accomplishments here in Houston. I hope he does.

You're only remembering his last year here. His first 4 years he played every game and went to the pro bowl twice. Fifth year he played 13 games. Sixth year is when he only played 5 games. He had 14 sacks in 2007 and 12 in 2008 and was a beast in the run game. And that was with Richard Smith and Frank Bush as DC's. Yeah he was under appreciated

Anderson is under 6'4", only weighs 253 lbs, and has a 4.60 40 time according to his WIKI page which is not the measurements & stats of a physical freak edge rusher.
You may not care about those sorts of things which is fine, but it's what my post was about.
Now Anderson may go on to make all of forget about JJs accomplishments here in Houston. I hope he does.
My post stands as my non freaky guy is better than your freaky guys.

Lol

High Effort Premium Edge 110% every down. Stats only reflect part of total package. Football player first, not just a workout warrior to run his forty faster or cut/add weight to fit a position. True he has yet to make his mark, will have to wait and see, I’ve said that multiple times, but he shows more flash, more drive and sustainability than two #1’s.

A long, explosive, rangy edge who can rush inside — or stand up and play linebacker — Anderson is a modern-day defensive weapon who is almost positionless in the front seven. Not unlike Dallas youngster Micah Parsons in so many ways, we haven’t seen everything Anderson can do on a football field yet. The Texans are not messing around. You love to see it. — Baumgardner

My post stands as my non freaky guy is better than your freaky guys.

Lol
That's right Bad Boy non-freaky guys sometimes have great NFL careers including some very prominent edge rushers of our time and here's one of the best examples, and BTW some of you guys get so defensive, so butt hurt because I simply said Anderson wasn't a physical freak, OK, and I hope he turns out to have a great career here while in the NFL.
***ESPN.com

Arizona State defensive end Terrell Suggs took his second crack at improving his 40-yard dash speed and he failed.

Running on an artificial surface Friday, Suggs ran 4.87, 4.9 and 4.93 40s weighing 258 pounds. A month ago, he ran similar times even though he had been training for three months to become faster and prove to teams he has great speed off the corner.

Those who attended the March workout at Arizona State felt that Suggs may have cost himself the fourth pick in the draft by running in the 4.8 and 4.9-second range. The Cardinals, who have been looking for a pass-rusher, appeared to be the most interested team in taking him with the sixth pick, but his poor time may make that less certain.

The workout featured head coaches and front office personnel from the Cardinals, Chiefs and Texans along with other teams.
Suggs set a collegiate record with 24 sacks last season, but most top pass-rushing defensive ends run in the 4.6 to 4.7 range.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Your opinion not mine.
Ok fine you are off subject so I'm also gonna digress myself -
Unless Anderson has an incredible career, like I mean JJ-incredible we paid too much for him because IMO the only college player-NFL rookie non-QB who any team paid that much for I can think of who might have been worth that kind of Draft capital was ATL's draft of Julio Jones.
Care to comment ?

Unless Anderson has an incredible career, like I mean JJ-incredible we paid too much for him because IMO the only college player-NFL rookie non-QB who any team paid that much for I can think of who might have been worth that kind of Draft capital was ATL's draft of Julio Jones.
Care to comment ?

I'm thinking Anderson will have a long productive career, like Justin Houston. Is he going to be like Bruce Smith, Watt etc... Doubtful, but he can still have a great career.

I'm thinking Anderson will have a long productive career, like Justin Houston. Is he going to be like Bruce Smith, Watt etc... Doubtful, but he can still have a great career.
I'm thinking Anderson will be a good player but there are other players in this draft who could have better careers. When you factor in what they had to give up getting him it could end up being a disappointment.

That's right Bad Boy non-freaky guys sometimes have great NFL careers including some very prominent edge rushers of our time and here's one of the best examples, and BTW some of you guys get so defensive, so butt hurt because I simply said Anderson wasn't a physical freak, OK, and I hope he turns out to have a great career here while in the NFL.
***ESPN.com

Arizona State defensive end Terrell Suggs took his second crack at improving his 40-yard dash speed and he failed.

Running on an artificial surface Friday, Suggs ran 4.87, 4.9 and 4.93 40s weighing 258 pounds. A month ago, he ran similar times even though he had been training for three months to become faster and prove to teams he has great speed off the corner.

Those who attended the March workout at Arizona State felt that Suggs may have cost himself the fourth pick in the draft by running in the 4.8 and 4.9-second range. The Cardinals, who have been looking for a pass-rusher, appeared to be the most interested team in taking him with the sixth pick, but his poor time may make that less certain.

The workout featured head coaches and front office personnel from the Cardinals, Chiefs and Texans along with other teams.
Suggs set a collegiate record with 24 sacks last season, but most top pass-rushing defensive ends run in the 4.6 to 4.7 range.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.
Good exchange. Love the discussion. Speaking only for me I am not butt hurt. Hemorrhoids haven't acted up long time.
🤪🥴

Care to comment ?
JJ is the metric for Anderson? How about TJ or Bosa?

I wonder if the day will ever come when we red flag fast twitch muscle players because that are spent before the 4th quarter starts unless rested for considerable amount of plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Care to comment ?

Guess you missed earlier discussion -

If someone still doesn't understand that the cost of getting Anderson was actually the cost of getting Stroud, they don't understand the real situation. Or they don't want to understand.

Let that little nugget sink in. It’s the packaged combination of franchise QB with franchise edge #2 & #3. With franchise QB (Stroud) off the board, a bigger fish on the line for a franchise QB halted that discussion. Opening window for teams interested in a non QB (Will Anderson) to move up. Texans probably graded Will #1 overall on their board, that would make sense to me & Texans had draft capital nobody else could beat. Texans kept real quiet about their interest in Stroud, which was key to be able to also add Will Anderson, taking competing teams out.
:logo:

Back