Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

Looked pretty good against the best defense in college football. He has the talent. It’s if these coaches can get it to work in their system. They better get some talent around him. The cupboard is bare.
Consider the source…same poster that was a Bortles cheerleader which is fine because he’ll tell you he went to a AFCG but won’t give the same leeway to CJ

What QB did you want?
If I had to take a QB at 2 im taking Richardson. Huge bust potential but also the only guy in this class with the potential to beat guys like Mahomes, Burrow, Allen etc. I don’t think Stroud will suck but I don’t see a world where he can go toe to toe with those QB’s I listed.

Basically I think we just committed ourselves to a ceiling of being a 2nd tier AFC team. Good enough to be competitive every year, good enough to go to the playoffs every few years but not good enough to be a real contender.

We’ll see maybe Stroud can prove me wrong

If I had to take a QB at 2 im taking Richardson. Huge bust potential but also the only guy in this class with the potential to beat guys like Mahomes, Burrow, Allen etc. I don’t think Stroud will suck but I don’t see a world where he can go toe to toe with those QB’s I listed.

Basically I think we just committed ourselves to a ceiling of being a 2nd tier AFC team. Good enough to be competitive every year, good enough to go to the playoffs every few years but not good enough to be a real contender.

This opinion far exceeded the ones I read before.

I think Richardson has huge bust potential. I do think his ceiling could be a lesser Lamar Jackson, but, well, let's just say I have no issues at the moment of the prospect of facing him twice a year for the next few.

Stroud has to prove he can handle NFL pressure. If he can do that I think the sky's the limit for him.

You think they're going to beat Mahomes/Allen/Burrow?

technically, we don't have to

8721856.gif

We're only screwed if the Texans don't realize this before they offer him a contract extension.

DeMeco cornerstone picks for next 5 years minimum. Very comfortable with Stroud and DeMeco well as Anderson development. Talked about the long pause from 14 to 65 now it just got a little longer, from 3 to 65, oh well we move on. Board value, system fits, hoping for Center and TE in 3rd.

Last edited:
DeMeco cornerstone picks for next 5 years minimum. Very comfortable with Stroud and DeMeco well as Anderson development. Talked about the long pause from 14 to 65 now it just got a little longer, from 3 to 65, on well we move on. Board value, system fits, hoping for Center and TE in 3rd.

No te. Thank you.

Because It's a bullsh*t Swiss army knife every oc thinks will make his offense successful.

How many guys get picked? How many have we picked?

Od in 20 plus years was the only one with reasonable success. Te is a luxury you pick once your offense / team is good. Not in some stupid hope the guy who can't block and can't catch will make the team good.

I value a good fullback more then I do te's.

Last edited:
The first next year is a loss, but guys…the Texans have a projected 120 million in cap space in 24. Player acquisition isn’t just the draft. Nick and Meco can play with the big boys in FA next year and haul in a big fish or two. This was fair value for a tone setting guy on D that will be a true leader and potential franchise QB to boot. For a change, the Texans got out of the kiddie pool and just went to the high dive and did a triple reverse forward somersault into the deep end.

Let’s freaking celebrate!

Yep, let's just hope they don't "Greg Louganis" this whole situation..

So you had Stafford as a chip QB? What about a hardly serviceable Brady three years ago? They’re plenty examples of a mid range QB taking it all. So Caleb W. is? So if no QB now then when? No one can seem to really answer that question. If Caleb never wins a chip do we get to conveniently blame it on where he ends up? Let’s lay down some ground rule here yes? I mean you seem to want a guy coming out of college to have been to the Super Bowl no?

🤔 3 years ago Brady passed for over 4,600 yards, 40 Tds, and just 12 ints.. The next year he passed for over 5,300 yards, 43 Tds, and just 12 ints.

For me it’s a question of would I prefer Will Anderson or #12 & 33 this year and maybe 10th +/-2 overall next year? (Just estimating 10th pick for 2024 obviously) I’d prefer that we hadn’t traded. There’s more of a chance 1 player gets injured vs. 3 and potentially filling three positions with high picks seems better than one top 3 pick. That being said. I do like the fast track to being a team that should be more competitive now and I like the higher chance of hitting on the top 3 pick. We’ll have to wait and see. Go Will Anderson. Go Texans.

I knew you would be bitter. You said you wouldn’t be, but look at your comments. Smh
I'm not bitter at all and hope the young man succeeds. But I'm not looking forward to having to deal with the trash that's Avery, or having to deal with DM in 3 years.

I don't think Stroud's good enough to have to deal with the trash. Obviously Cal/Caserio/Ryans disagree and are willing to deal with the trash. Good luck to all involved. But I'm certainly not bitter. I'm just glad I chose not to renew my season tickets.

BTW, BL and I talked on the phone yesterday about the Chargers potential draft and I look forward to talking to him about both drafts on Saturday at the Crawfish boil. So there's absolutely no bitterness in the post you disliked. It's just 2 draftniks talking draft stuff.

Like I said before I wanted the Texans org to be different and take chances. Although I don't like the Stroud pick, they certainly were bold and took a big risk. Maybe things down on Kirby really are changing.

Last edited:
Why do you subscribe to what some 30 year old excel spreadsheet formula says? I f'ing hate the draft point trade chart. It doesn't account for strengths in a position one draft has over another etc.

It's archaic at best.
the chart still seems to work fine but it would need to be properly used and as per usual, Texian used his own numbers to prove his point. His calculation was not correct.

They didn’t offer above. Someone previously posted point value, and it was just right.
the chart still seems to work fine but it would need to be properly used and as per usual, Texian used his own numbers to prove his point. His calculation was not correct.
Despite what draftTwitter believes, majority of teams still rely primarily on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. Future picks are discounted 50% and assumed mid-round.

Cardinals get: 12, 33, 1st in 2024, 3rd in 2024
Texans get: 3, 105

ARI gives: 2284
HOU gives: 2365 (+3.6%)

Historically trades up to top 3 for QB garner upwards of a 20% premium. But this wasn't for QB. Considering expected draft slots for Texans, Cards did a little better on the chart than +3.6%, but don't approach the 20% premium for QB trade-ups.

Thinking of all the moving parts to make this trade to 3 happen. It makes you wonder if they could have pulled off a similar trade had they drafted at 1. Go QB at 1 and then does Chicago hold 2 hostage? Or do they just grab Anderson outright and you don’t get the chance to deal with Arizona?

Obviously wish Mills hadn’t converted on 4th down in that last game but it makes you wonder if things worked out better this way. EX: Texans trying to trade up for Aldon Smith but couldn’t make a deal so they settled for JJ Watt.

Would love to add a LB or C
C is definitely a need. I think at this point you have to address the position and get Stroud some weapons. The defense will be better just by adding Demeco, but they got Anderson and the guys in Free Agency. If Stingley is healthy and Demeco teaches Pitre how to tackle the D will be fine this year. They have to make life easier on their rookie QB.

C is definitely a need. I think at this point you have to address the position and get Stroud some weapons. The defense will be better just by adding Demeco, but they got Anderson and the guys in Free Agency. If Stingley is healthy and Demeco teaches Pitre how to tackle the D will be fine this year. They have to make life easier on their rookie QB.

I think they’ve done enough in FA to go BPA the rest of the way. There are still needs obviously and players will be available to fill them. But the only immediate glaring need left imo is center. And the scheme shift could mitigate that a bit.

Thinking of all the moving parts to make this trade to 3 happen. It makes you wonder if they could have pulled off a similar trade had they drafted at 1. Go QB at 1 and then does Chicago hold 2 hostage? Or do they just grab Anderson outright and you don’t get the chance to deal with Arizona?

Obviously wish Mills hadn’t converted on 4th down in that last game but it makes you wonder if things worked out better this way. EX: Texans trying to trade up for Aldon Smith but couldn’t make a deal so they settled for JJ Watt.
One thing. If Houston traded with Chicago to get 1.1. The deal was already in place for Chicago to trade from 1.2 to 1.9 with Charlotte. So kind of same situation as now, but swap Stroud for Bryce.

Despite what draftTwitter believes, majority of teams still rely primarily on the Jimmy Johnson trade chart. Future picks are discounted 50% and assumed mid-round.

Historically trades up to top 3 for QB garner upwards of a 20% premium. But this wasn't for QB. Considering expected draft slots for Texans, Cards did a little better on the chart than +3.6%, but don't approach the 20% premium for QB trade-ups.

@Texian

In a vacuum I think they gave up too much, but we have no idea who they were bidding against. I'm still torn on if I would have taken Richardson just for his upside, but it has been a very good night.
I loved the trade but didnt like the 2024 #3. That said Texans will have plenty of cap space to buy a proven “#3” next year that can hit the ground running.

I think you are putting too high a value on what the Texans are giving up

Well buckle up because we have at least a few years of a few fans that no matter the success we have heels are dug in against their own players because it’s not who they wanted or how they wanted the 1st round to play out. Yea they may have the occasional celebration post but they’ll have the “I told you so” in their back pocket at every set back or loss.

It didn’t go exactly how I wanted either but I’m buying in as a fan. Getting two top players in a relatively weak overall draft is a win IMO. I’ve spent far too long watching a FO and org as a whole tip toeing through the tulips. Im backing my guys as a fan. I’ve yet to see any member here post their NFL GM resume. You win some and lose some but FFS at least we rolled the dice for once.
I don’t know but if this is a relatively weak draft then you are spot on regarding getting two top players this year. Next year we should see serious FA’s.

Looked pretty good against the best defense in college football. He has the talent. It’s if these coaches can get it to work in their system. They better get some talent around him. The cupboard is bare.
He did but when under pressure, falling backward on his left leg he floated a wounded duck that got the best WR in football destroyed in the 3rd quarter. Harrison was removed from the game because it and it cost OSU the ballgame. Again under pressure, Stroud threw an INT that iced the game for Michigan. Stroud played behind the best OL in college football with all pro WRs. If you think Stroud is going to be the OSU QB as Texans prepare to be disappointed. Being one of the worst-performing QBs under pressure is only going to be magnified in the NFL.

They've entered mediocrity land again. They drafted a top 10-15 QB. Improvement as soon as next yr, yes. Championship level QB? Nope.
Yes, I agree, MEDIOCRITY is still alive and well in the Kirby Boardroom. It is beginning to look like DeMeco is not who we thought he was.

Back