Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2023 TEXANS DRAFT DISCUSSION

You seem to actually be a very negative person judging from the post.

What about Stroud do you not like? and who did you prefer?

Stingley and Green are young players. Could end up being really good players. Being quick to dismiss is on you.

Some here are rose colored glasses fans in the Kool-Aid Brigade and others choose to head up the poop soup posse where everything smells like ****. Most of us are somewhere in between and most of us are actually fans. I can understand and handle a Kool-Aid Brigader. Just a fan rooting blindly for their team. It’s the poop soup posse peddler’s that baffle me and that you have to be mindful of. Their joy seemingly comes more from sowing dissension than fandom.

I have discussed my remaining concern about Mulugheta as the agent for Stroud with a couple of football people who share my concern. The Texans certainly can protect themselves in being very cautious about terms of contract such as no no-trade clause and no stupid money...........But it would be impossible to avoid somewhat of a circus again if Mulugheta pulls another Jalen Ramsey, Deshaun Watson, Kareem Hunt move..........i.e., demand for "early trade" despite unmet contract obligations.
I am not well versed in contracts, but couldn't Houston place a clause in the contract that penalizes for demanding a trade prior to contract end? I have no issue giving stupid money (as it isn't mine) but just like the no-trade clause put our balls in a vice, could we not add a clause that would instead protect us like a no-demand to run away clause?

Ron Johnson and Israel Abanikanda who is a perfect fit for this offense would be nice.
Who is Ron Johnson? Abnikanda will probably go too early but Roschon Johnson is a good choice later. Johnson is one of my favorites, I think he is very underrated

Just ignore the sunshine pumpers. This team needs talent desperately. They gave up a ton for Anderson and better have a plan to get Stroud a Center / guard. I would go after Wypler or maybe a better option would be Avila who can play C or G.
I'm afraid Wypler being somewhat undersized with short arms, even in a WCO moving offense will be overpowered often.

I like Avila, not only for his versatility, but as a very mobile, but immovable stump.
1682704179928.png

I am not well versed in contracts, but couldn't Houston place a clause in the contract that penalizes for demanding a trade prior to contract end? I have no issue giving stupid money (as it isn't mine) but just like the no-trade clause put our balls in a vice, could we not add a clause that would instead protect us like a no-demand to run away clause?
All contracts for drafted rookies are now a mandatory four years in length. The CBA has built in financial disincentives for those who choose not to fulfill contracts including not accruing a season. But if the player is willing to take a hit, it is difficult to stop. The CBA from what I understand does not allow for teams to dictate independent penalties. The NFLPA would probably step in if such actions were taken.

Edit: Now if a rookie refuses to sign his contract and holds out the year, he would not be paid, and can re-enter the Draft the following year without further penalty (never understood that rule).

Last edited:
All contracts for drafted rookies are now a mandatory four years in length. The CBA has built in financial disincentives for those who choose not to fulfill contracts including not accruing a season. But if the player is willing to take a hit, it is difficult to stop. The CBA from what I understand does not allow for teams to dictate independent penalties. The NFLPA would probably step in if such actions were taken.

Edit: Now if a rookie refuses to sign his contract and holds out the year, he would not be paid, and can re-enter the Draft the following year without further penalty (never understood that rule).
I am more interested in the second contract vs the rookie contract. I am curious what safety measures we have to prevent another Watson fiasco from happening. #1 would be no more no-trade clause with Mulaghetta clients. What else can we do?

I didn't want Stroud.

But now he's my quarterback and I'm rooting for him. The things i liked about him was his pre-snap reads and his accuracy. Hopefully, we can put an offense around him that plays to his strengths.

I do NOT want him to fail.
Right there with you friend.

I wanted him before Young but still preferred to pass on a QB this year.

But that’s my QB now and throwing support behind him.

One of the things that gets under my skin with this board, with every single draft if you're not totally on board with what the Texans did, you're labeled a "hater" and you should "get the ---- off this board", as someone so eloquently put it. Quit following the team. Even the slightest skepticism is met with harsh criticism from other members. It even happened with third round pick Davis Mills. I don't know how many times I had to clarify myself because I wasn't totally enamored with the pick. I don't know how many times I had to write, "again, it's not what I would have done but I understand it" only to be berated into silence. Why can't we all just have our opinions and debate them in a manner conducive to a healthy discussion? It's because y'all don't want to discuss it. You just want the rest of us to fall in line. Social media doing what it does.

At any rate, I'm really looking forward to tonight to see how this vision from Nick and DeMeco shapes out. It should be interesting.

Definitely agree. I’ve been harsh when I feel it’s deserved, and praised them when I felt it’s deserved. I think what gets on my nerves is that there are certain people that are just relentlessly negative. They literally thrive on negativity. It’s what drives the,. Others are total boot lickers and every single move or pick is automatically the right one. Both extremes are what I tend to call out.

I actually like to debate or have a difference of opinion when it’s well thought out and gives people food for thought. I’ve had my mind changed numerous times just from reading what other members here have to say. Debate is healthy and group think is not, but neither is just relentless Debbie downerism.

Definitely agree. I’ve been harsh when I feel it’s deserved, and praised them when I felt it’s deserved. I think what gets on my nerves is that there are certain people that are just relentlessly negative. They literally thrive on negativity. It’s what drives the,. Others are total boot lickers and every single move or pick is automatically the right one. Both extremes are what I tend to call out.

I actually like to debate or have a difference of opinion when it’s well thought out and gives people food for thought. I’ve had my mind changed numerous times just from reading what other members here have to say. Debate is healthy and group think is not, but neither is just relentless Debbie downerism.
The Houston Texans have a record of 142-195-1 all-time.

I'm afraid Wypler being somewhat undersized with short arms, even in a WCO moving offense will be overpowered often.

I like Avila, not only for his versatility, but as a very mobile, but immovable stump.
View attachment 11999
I would remind you of Linderbaum from last year's draft : 6'3" / 290 lbs and 31 1/8" arms. Made the all-rookie team and played really well.

Schmitz is 1" taller but a couple pounds lighter. He has 32 5/8" arms vs 31 5/8" for Wypler.

OK, with our two 3rd round picks, #65 and #73, we need to address what I think is our biggest remaining need, Center. My preference is Wypler.

With our second 3rd rounder I'm looking at : CBs Darius Rush, Emmanuel Forbes, D.J.Turner, Jakorian Bennett.

Also : LBs Daiyan Henley, Dorian Williams, DeMarvion Overshown.

I'm not looking at WRs until the 4th round : Trey Palmer is the one I'm looking at first. May have to trade back up into the 3rd.

Other receivers : Andrei Iosivas and Bryce Ford-Wheaton.

We have two 4th rounders. With the second I'm looking at Safeties : Jartavius Martin, Sydney Brown.

Another player I'm really wanting in a late round is FB/H-back Hunter Luepke. Maybe the 5th round.

OK, with our two 3rd round picks, #65 and #73, we need to address what I think is our biggest remaining need, Center. My preference is Wypler.

With our second 3rd rounder I'm looking at : CBs Darius Rush, Emmanuel Forbes, D.J.Turner, Jakorian Bennett.

Also : LBs Daiyan Henley, Dorian Williams, DeMarvion Overshown.

I'm not looking at WRs until the 4th round : Trey Palmer is the one I'm looking at first. May have to trade back up into the 3rd.

Other receivers : Andrei Iosivas and Bryce Ford-Wheaton.

We have two 4th rounders. With the second I'm looking at Safeties : Jartavius Martin, Sydney Brown.

Another player I'm really wanting in a late round is FB/H-back Hunter Luepke. Maybe the 5th round.
Washington drafted Forbes

I am more interested in the second contract vs the rookie contract. I am curious what safety measures we have to prevent another Watson fiasco from happening. #1 would be no more no-trade clause with Mulaghetta clients. What else can we do?
Never heard of this being done. But it may not be to either side's advantage. If a player sits out to get a better contract, one of two things happens - either the team trades them, or they knuckle under and pay them more. Players know that they have a limited playing life - and holding out reduces their chance to play, earn money, build their brand, and most importantly, work towards improving their status for their next contract. It’s usually not worth it to hold out for too long.

After a period of time, the player will likely seek some kind of legal solution with the assistance of the player’s association. Other teams will offer something for the player - and something is better than nothing. By that point it’s better to get rid of the headache, not to mention that in salary cap, they may not be able to pay the player what they want without shuffling around other players.

I believe that the trick is to not bonus monies up front and limit the guaranteed monies. It seems that a team could write in a clause requiring the player to actually play season by season in order to get guaranteed money. But especially if this is not accepted league-wise, it could end up a very long court battle probably headed by the NFLPA.

All of this is why it would behoove doing everything to avoid a situation that may put you there to begin with.

Reactions: JB
I would remind you of Linderbaum from last year's draft : 6'3" / 290 lbs and 31 1/8" arms. Made the all-rookie team and played really well.

Schmitz is 1" taller but a couple pounds lighter. He has 32 5/8" arms vs 31 5/8" for Wypler.
As opposed to Wypler, as I recollect neither were found to have problems handling strong opponents in college.

The more I process the events of round 1 the more pleased I am that the Texans put aside their differences with his agent and picked the QB they believed in, then made the bold move to come back and take the best D player in the draft.

The only way it’s tempered is because I’d expected them to be able to address 2 of the 3 other glaring holes (C, LB, WR) on day 2 with quality starters this season.

But hey, I’m a big believer that you need that star power at both QB and Edge and they went and got that, by comparison the other positions are more open to being developed.

As opposed to Wypler, as I recollect neither were found to have problems handling strong opponents in college.
I haven't read that Wypler had problems handing strong opponents, except for one brief comment that he needed help against big nose tackles. But almost all centers do.

But Wypler played against big time opponents at Ohio State, a big time program. In two years, his sophomore and junior seasons, he gave up 14 QB hurries, 0 QB hits and only 1 QB sack (92% grade). He graded out at 91% in run blocking (Schmitz was the top rated run blocker at 94% and Avila at 79%).

My concern is he won't be there in the 3rd round.

To me it’s painful looking at what we could have done.
2. Will Anderson

12. Christian Gonzalez

33. Mayer/Downs/whatever player you like that’s still available after the Steelers pick

That would be a helluva draft already and you’d still have all your draft capital next year

You talk about creative marketing...........

Look: Browns Have 3-Word Deshaun Watson Announcement
Story by Matt Hladik • Yesterday 10:08 PM

CINCINNATI, OHIO - DECEMBER 11: Deshaun Watson #4 of the Cleveland Browns looks on from the sidelines during the first half of a game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Paycor Stadium on December 11, 2022 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images) Andy Lyons/Getty Images© Provided by The Spun

The Cleveland Browns are all in on Deshaun Watson.

Cleveland doesn't pick until the third round of the NFL Draft on Friday night because of last year's Deshaun Watson trade. Essentially, Watson is their first-round pick for the second year in a row.

The Browns treated him as such with their tweet featuring Watson moments ago.

"Got our guy," the caption read, accompanied by a GIF of the quarterback.

After giving Watson the most guaranteed money in NFL history, the Browns watched the three-time Pro Bowler struggle in his first action in two years.

In six starts, Watson completed only 58.2% of his passes, a career-low, for 1,102 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions. Cleveland will need him to be much better this fall if it wants to contend for a playoff berth.

Watson is indeed "their guy," for better or worse.

Attachments

• 1682717713773.png
    1682717713773.png
    68 bytes · Views: 6
To me it’s painful looking at what we could have done.
2. Will Anderson

12. Christian Gonzalez

33. Mayer/Downs/whatever player you like that’s still available after the Steelers pick

That would be a helluva draft already and you’d still have all your draft capital next year
We would have just spent next years draft capital next year by trading up for a QB. Probably some of 2025 as well. Same difference to me. I'd rather form the team now instead of perpetually waiting.

CINCINNATI, OHIO - DECEMBER 11: Deshaun Watson #4 of the Cleveland Browns looks on from the sidelines during the first half of a game against the Cincinnati Bengals at Paycor Stadium on December 11, 2022 in Cincinnati, Ohio. (Photo by Andy Lyons/Getty Images) Andy Lyons/Getty Images© Provided by The Spun

Cleveland doesn't pick until the third round of the NFL Draft on Friday night because of last year's Deshaun Watson trade. Essentially, Watson is their first-round pick for the second year in a row.

After giving Watson the most guaranteed money in NFL history, the Browns watched the three-time Pro Bowler struggle in his first action in two years.

In six starts, Watson completed only 58.2% of his passes, a career-low, for 1,102 yards, seven touchdowns and five interceptions. Cleveland will need him to be much better this fall if it wants to contend for a playoff berth.

I know he’s gotta be jealous of Stroud. Texans have DeMeco and he has Stefanski.

We would have just spent next years draft capital next year by trading up for a QB. Probably some of 2025 as well. Same difference to me. I'd rather form the team now instead of perpetually waiting.
I guess it comes down to how you feel about Stroud. I’m not that high on him. I think he can take us back to relevancy which is nice, but I don’t think he’ll ever be the guy to walk into Arrowhead or Cincy and come out with a win

Some here are rose colored glasses fans in the Kool-Aid Brigade and others choose to head up the poop soup posse where everything smells like ****. Most of us are somewhere in between and most of us are actually fans. I can understand and handle a Kool-Aid Brigader. Just a fan rooting blindly for their team. It’s the poop soup posse peddler’s that baffle me and that you have to be mindful of. Their joy seemingly comes more from sowing dissension than fandom.
Poop Soup Posse! I love it. Hilarious counter to the K.A.B.

DW be like.... "I only have four cases left to settle!!!"

I guess it comes down to how you feel about Stroud. I’m not that high on him. I think he can take us back to relevancy which is nice, but I don’t think he’ll ever be the guy to walk into Arrowhead or Cincy and come out with a win
Maybe not on his own. But he only needs to beat their defense, which is highly possible in our scheme. OUR defense needs to be able to walk into Arrowhead or Cincy and wreck house. I think that is the gameplan moving forward.

Back