Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 NFL Draft Order

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
And a center is a bigger need than OG imo
Agreed, I want Caserio to draft 2 in the 1st 4 rds. What I don't want to see is McCray/Q playing when one of the iol inevitably gets hurt. I know they need a WR badly and I really hope Caserio is able to draft Johnston, but what u really want is for Caserio to pick great players.

Reactions: JB

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
That Tankathon draft would set the Texans back, especially if a new coaching staff is needed in 2024.

Last edited:

Number19

Hall of Fame
So if the draft were today I like Carolina #2 trading up for Houston's #1 to get the QB they want in exchange for their #2 in 2023 and the 2nd RD in 2023 OR their #2 in 2023 and their #1 in 2024.
I wouldn't cry in my beer if we took a first rounder in '24, but for my ideal draft to work, I need another high second rounder in '23. I'd like to go really heavy offensively in the '23 draft and need a bone to toss to Lovie for his defense.

Toro Bravo

Rookie
Correct, Miami forfeited their 1st rder. So technically it is the 33rd pick for the 32nd player drafted.
That's right. We essentially have 3 1st round picks in the next draft. Currently 1.1, Browns pick appr 1.12 and 1.32 (actually 2.1), due to Miami forfeiting their 1st round pick. That's some serious draft capital to use to acquire more picks and/or players. Now Nick just has to get it right.

Number19

Hall of Fame
That's right. We essentially have 3 1st round picks in the next draft. Currently 1.1, Browns pick appr 1.12 and 1.32 (actually 2.1), due to Miami forfeiting their 1st round pick. That's some serious draft capital to use to acquire more picks and/or players. Now Nick just has to get it right.
Whether that 32nd pick is first round or second round determines whether there is a 5th year option. Anyone know?

Texian

Hall of Fame
Here is the problem I have with Nick getting it right. Nick so far has been horrendous. Don't see how he wakes up tomorrow and becomes a football genius. I think Cal now has the capital where could hire a high profile successful winning coach but not with Caserio as part of that equation.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Why not trade with another team like Seattle or Detroit and get more pics or both and probably still get a great player with their highest pick even if that is the Cleveland pick?
Don’t like results when Texans trade (name any and all :clown:who were acting GM’s) other team gets better end of the deal 9 times out of 10.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Brugler just posted his first round mock and his sources suggest it could very well be a QB - per Athletic
1. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama*
The Texans have an obvious need at quarterback. General manager Nick Caserio, however, has been working in the NFL for 22 years and has never been part of a front office that drafted a quarterback in the top 50 picks. It will be interesting to see how he attacks the position this offseason.
Opinions on Bryce Young will be split from team to team because his undersized frame (under 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds) makes him a complete outlier, especially for a potential No. 1 pick. But Young has special instincts along with the accuracy, poise and processing that should translate very well to the NFL.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Brugler just posted his first round mock and his sources suggest it could very well be a QB - per Athletic
1. Houston Texans: Bryce Young, QB, Alabama*
The Texans have an obvious need at quarterback. General manager Nick Caserio, however, has been working in the NFL for 22 years and has never been part of a front office that drafted a quarterback in the top 50 picks. It will be interesting to see how he attacks the position this offseason.
Opinions on Bryce Young will be split from team to team because his undersized frame (under 5-foot-11 and 200 pounds) makes him a complete outlier, especially for a potential No. 1 pick. But Young has special instincts along with the accuracy, poise and processing that should translate very well to the NFL.
You know whats odd? Last year, it was about Stroud and Young, but when it comes time to make a choice, now its about Williams and whoever else. Every year, its going to be someone else at qb. Just evaluate the guys and make the best guy at qb.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You know whats odd? Last year, it was about Stroud and Young, but when it comes time to make a choice, now its about Williams and whoever else. Every year, its going to be someone else at qb. Just evaluate the guys and make the best guy at qb.
Not for me, I wanted to see Mills after his promising rookie yr.

Maye is the other guy that's better than anybody in this class.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Don’t like results when Texans trade (name any and all :clown:who were acting GM’s) other team gets better end of the deal 9 times out of 10.
I agree but if we are to be hopeful going forward with Caserio as the GM, If we are going to live with his decisions with the picKs we now have I will live with what his decisions would be with trades. He will be either good or bad regardless of what pics he has. Also I have not been very pleased with the pics we've made regardless of the GM or what draft spot. For years we have had our hopes dashed and then Shake our head and try to hope for the best.

If things go the way I want we will have a different GM and coaching staff. It's just as easy to dream big.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
They all have warts

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Not for me, I wanted to see Mills after his promising rookie yr.

Maye is the other guy that's better than anybody in this class.
What special quality does Maye have? Its ok to say you would rather wait, but you come up with some of the craziest evaluations I've heard. Mills won 1 game a s rookie, what promise did you see? He played ok in the last 4 or 5 games, yet you act like opposing defenses don't watch tape.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
You guys are something else, wanting to run the GM off after 1 1/2 drafts and he took on a talent deficient roster. In addition to making the 2nd best trade for 1 player in NFL history. I understand most on here hate all things Foxboro but lets give the man a chance.
Its not that, its the way he moves and conduct business. He's a coward in my opinion when it comes to tackling issues. He sticks his head in the sand or bables about the world economy or some other crazy theory vs standing tall and saying what it is. He has no leadership and tried to sell the fanbase on these vets schooling the younger guys which doesn't happen. Lawson and Cannon were terrible against the cap as well as Britt who was bad last year and kept Johnson as well as Murray. He's spineless and i dodn't know how he's supposed to lead an organization.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
What special quality does Maye have? Its ok to say you would rather wait, but you come up with some of the craziest evaluations I've heard. Mills won 1 game a s rookie, what promise did you see? He played ok in the last 4 or 5 games, yet you act like opposing defenses don't watch tape.
I could've sworn Mills won 2 games last yr.

I expect all players to improve with experience.

Lawrence and Fields would be great examples of thisand I expected the same from Mills. Although I knew Mills didn't have much to work with in the way of skill position players. Regardless Mills has regressed.

Maye has great arm and can move for a big guy. He appears to be good at reading defenses and hisskill position guys leave a lot to be desired other than Downs.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Its not that, its the way he moves and conduct business. He's a coward in my opinion when it comes to tackling issues. He sticks his head in the sand or bables about the world economy or some other crazy theory vs standing tall and saying what it is. He has no leadership and tried to sell the fanbase on these vets schooling the younger guys which doesn't happen. Lawson and Cannon were terrible against the cap as well as Britt who was bad last year and kept Johnson as well as Murray. He's spineless and i dodn't know how he's supposed to lead an organization.
Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Spineless GM's dont cut team supposed team leaders like Cunningham/Mercilus in the middle of the season knowing the cap hit he was going to have to take. Spineless leaders dont stare down other GM's and get what Caserio got for Derrick. Like I've said, there's some unrealistic expectations if you expected the Texans to be anything but bad this yr, or for Caserio to be able to turn this thing around with 1 1/2 drafts and very little FA money. I could see where you would think Caserio was spineless if you thought he hired Culley/Lovie. (I dont think those were his hires.) If the worst thing Caserio does is miss on vets like Cannon/Britt then the Texans will be in good shape.

My biggest thing with Caserio is that he chose to fix the backend of the defense instead of fixing the DL with his high picks this yr.

What would you think about this draft. Skip QB and also think like I do that Carter will play like Carter of last yr.

1-1 Carter I would like to trade down and get more picksto go along with picking Carter.

1-10 Tyree Wilson
2-32 Jared Verse
3-65 Stromberg
3-75 Avila

This draft would put some great young talent on the DL and turn it from a weakness into strength. Same goes with the IOL. Then draft your QB in 2024.

If you're looking for a real sleeper WR Andrei Iosivas WR Princeton. 6'3 205 runs 6.71 60 meters and is pretty shifty. I 1st learned about him from PFN checked out some of his highlights and liked what I saw, even against lesser competition. He was a man amongst boys.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
If you're looking for a real sleeper WR Andrei Iosivas WR Princeton. 6'3 205 runs 6.71 100 meters and is pretty shifty.
Wait a minute! 109yds in 6.71 secs is the fastest human ever! Why have I never heard of him?

pirbroke

Veteran
A little off topic but the last two post reminded me, I went on a cruise recently and Jamaica was one of the ports. The bus trip stopped in front of a high school and the tour lady said this is where Usain Bolt learned to run. The track just looked like dirt from kids running on it, Just natural ground. I don’t know why that’s my favorite part of the whole dang cruise. Guess I really like history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I was okay with casserio coming here and I will be okay with him leaving.

He's had his chance. Time to move on.
1 1/2 drafts with the roster he had and it's time to move on? Care to tell us what not giving a guy a fair chance in your world looks like?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
Lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Spineless GM's dont cut team supposed team leaders like Cunningham/Mercilus in the middle of the season knowing the cap hit he was going to have to take. Spineless leaders dont stare down other GM's and get what Caserio got for Derrick. Like I've said, there's some unrealistic expectations if you expected the Texans to be anything but bad this yr, or for Caserio to be able to turn this thing around with 1 1/2 drafts and very little FA money. I could see where you would think Caserio was spineless if you thought he hired Culley/Lovie. (I dont think those were his hires.) If the worst thing Caserio does is miss on vets like Cannon/Britt then the Texans will be in good shape.

My biggest thing with Caserio is that he chose to fix the backend of the defense instead of fixing the DL with his high picks this yr.

What would you think about this draft. Skip QB and also think like I do that Carter will play like Carter of last yr.

1-1 Carter I would like to trade down and get more picksto go along with picking Carter.

1-10 Tyree Wilson
2-32 Jared Verse
3-65 Stromberg
3-75 Avila

This draft would put some great young talent on the DL and turn it from a weakness into strength. Same goes with the IOL. Then draft your QB in 2024.

If you're looking for a real sleeper WR Andrei Iosivas WR Princeton. 6'3 205 runs 6.71 60 meters and is pretty shifty. I 1st learned about him from PFN checked out some of his highlights and liked what I saw, even against lesser competition. He was a man amongst boys.
Stare down gms? Why do you think he excluded any team in the division during this stare down? He cut Merci after he restructured his deal. Cunningham, he didn't get anything, not even a 6th rd pic for a guy with production. How about the Cooks situation that blew up in his face and he never addressed it? Just push Lovie out there to give the message. What turn around have you seen. Everything regressed, they, him still leaking info to who he chooses to. The whole mentorship program has been a waste also. Again, the gm who talks every week on the radio goes silent on the Cooks situation. He consistently pushed Culley out the to answer questions about Watson last year.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Stare down gms? Why do you think he excluded any team in the division during this stare down? He cut Merci after he restructured his deal. Cunningham, he didn't get anything, not even a 6th rd pic for a guy with production. How about the Cooks situation that blew up in his face and he never addressed it? Just push Lovie out there to give the message. What turn around have you seen. Everything regressed, they, him still leaking info to who he chooses to. The whole mentorship program has been a waste also. Again, the gm who talks every week on the radio goes silent on the Cooks situation. He consistently pushed Culley out the to answer questions about Watson last year.
I wouldn't have traded that Pervert within the division.

They were in such bad cap shape when Caerio took over he needed to restructure Mercilus to have the money to fill out the roster since he didn't have many draft picks.

Agreed, he shouldn't have extended Cooks. I was for him extending Cooks because 1. I thought Cooks was a leader that could help show guys like Collins/Metchie the NFL ropes both on and off the field. Lovie's job, just as Culley's job isto answer questions about players on the active roster. I'm sure the media also asked Caserio things like why didn't you trade Cooks and Caserio answered their questions. You're right though the Cooks mentorship didn't workout. You know we have different philosophies when it comes to mentorship.

I expected 4 wins, they should have 2 wins right now, I had them beating the Jags and stealing another game somewhere along the way. Why haven't they been able to do this? Lovie and friends have done a bad job and now the players have quit on him. So really they haven't regressed from where I thought they would be. Although it's bothersome that the rookies seemed to have regressed. I dont hold the coaching situation against Caserio because he wasn't the person who hired Lovie/Culley. Do you really think Lovie/Culley were Caserio hires? LMAO Go listen to Jayson Braddock's podcast and Aaron Wilson will tell you what I've been trying to tell you since Lovie was hired.

Things will be better in a couple of yrs. Unless Cal makes Caserio draft a midget to be his franchise QB. Then they may win a few more games than they have the last 3 seasons, but the you're correct, the Caserio era will end in failure due to ownership. Haven't we seen this story play out before with the McNair's and the Carr draft pick. It's time for Cal to let the man who he hired to rebuild his team do his job and that includes Caserio hiring the HCof his choosing and not make Caserio have to draft a midget just because it will help Cal sell a few more tickets.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Caserio have to draft a midget just because it will help Cal sell a few more tickets.
Draft a midget? You calling Young a midget now? What changed your mind on him or are you building up your excuses early?

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Draft a midget? You calling Young a midget now? What changed your mind on him or are you building up your excuses early?
In NFL terms he's a midget.

My mind hasn't changed, I like the 2024 class much more than the 2023 class.

What excuses?

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I wouldn't have traded that Pervert within the division.

They were in such bad cap shape when Caerio took over he needed to restructure Mercilus to have the money to fill out the roster since he didn't have many draft picks.

Agreed, he shouldn't have extended Cooks. I was for him extending Cooks because 1. I thought Cooks was a leader that could help show guys like Collins/Metchie the NFL ropes both on and off the field. Lovie's job, just as Culley's job isto answer questions about players on the active roster. I'm sure the media also asked Caserio things like why didn't you trade Cooks and Caserio answered their questions. You're right though the Cooks mentorship didn't workout. You know we have different philosophies when it comes to mentorship.

I expected 4 wins, they should have 2 wins right now, I had them beating the Jags and stealing another game somewhere along the way. Why haven't they been able to do this? Lovie and friends have done a bad job and now the players have quit on him. So really they haven't regressed from where I thought they would be. Although it's bothersome that the rookies seemed to have regressed. I dont hold the coaching situation against Caserio because he wasn't the person who hired Lovie/Culley. Do you really think Lovie/Culley were Caserio hires? LMAO Go listen to Jayson Braddock's podcast and Aaron Wilson will tell you what I've been trying to tell you since Lovie was hired.

Things will be better in a couple of yrs. Unless Cal makes Caserio draft a midget to be his franchise QB. Then they may win a few more games than they have the last 3 seasons, but the you're correct, the Caserio era will end in failure due to ownership. Haven't we seen this story play out before with the McNair's and the Carr draft pick. It's time for Cal to let the man who he hired to rebuild his team do his job and that includes Caserio hiring the HCof his choosing and not make Caserio have to draft a midget just because it will help Cal sell a few more tickets.
Nah, he could've just cut Merci, just like he could've cut David Johnson and he didn't. Then he started assembling the oldest roster in the nfl. 25% of the nfl is undrafted. This team could've been loaded with undrafted free agents, guys you can mold vs 30 yr old guys. Tell me about giving up a pick for Miller and he doesn't even make it through the year. Tell me about trading for Lawson, redo his contract, and then cutting him. You said Watson was closer to 15 than 10, so why are you worried about him being in division if its the best deal? Nah, Carsterio didn't answer a single question about the botched Cooks trade. So you still think Cal wanted Caserio to interview MCCown 3 times? You think it was Cal who had Lovie already in town ready for Culley because we know Frazier wasn't going to take the job with Lovie on staff from their Tampa days?

See my problem with your reasoning is Caserio can do no wrong or doesn't deserve any blame and if he fails , its Cal fault. Maybe is Caserio fails, its his fault along with all the other ex patriot wannebes who failed. This isn't new, its known. Carsterio has no fault in anything. Nevermind he's presented Cal with 2 coaches, not the other way around. Cal isn't out there putting coaching list together. He is presented with candidates to choose from and gets the gms opinion on who would be best. At the end of the day, Cal didn't hire either coach without being prompted by the gm.

Last edited:

badboy

Hall of Fame
Everyone knows what negatives that Nick caserio faced when he was hired as a general manager. Those against him continuing are unsatisfied with the majority of the things he has done. That does not mean he has not made some good decisions.
It didn't take a season for me to realize that David Culley was wrong for this team. The time Nick has had is good enough for me to know he is not what I want for the future.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Nah, he could've just cut Merci, just like he could've cut David Johnson and he didn't. Then he started assembling the oldest roster in the nfl. 25% of the nfl is undrafted. This team could've been loaded with undrafted free agents, guys you can mold vs 30 yr old guys. Tell me about giving up a pick for Miller and he doesn't even make it through the year. Tell me about trading for Lawson, redo his contract, and then cutting him. You said Watson was closer to 15 than 10, so why are you worried about him being in division if its the best deal? Nah, Carsterio didn't answer a single question about the botched Cooks trade. So you still think Cal wanted Caserio to interview MCCown 3 times? You think it was Cal who had Lovie already in town ready for Culley because we know Frazier wasn't going to take the job with Lovie on staff from their Tampa days?

See my problem with your reasoning is Caserio can do no wrong or doesn't deserve any blame and if he fails , its Cal fault. Maybe is Caserio fails, its his fault along with all the other ex patriot wannebes who failed. This isn't new, its known. Carsterio has no fault in anything. Nevermind he's presented Cal with 2 coaches, not the other way around. Cal isn't out there putting coaching list together. He is presented with candidates to choose from and gets the gms opinion on who would be best. At the end of the day, Cal didn't hire either coach without being prompted by the gm.
Man that's a lot of typing to post Foxboro hate. If Miller for a 5th is the worst Caserio does the Texans are in good shape.The rest we've already talked about, the McNair's hire the HC's and always have. No Cal didn't want McCown to be the HC, neither did Caserio. Janice/Easterby did and Caserio did what employees who just signed 36 million dollar contracts do, what the boss wants. If Cal hadn't talked Janice out of McCown then McCown would be the HC. Lovie was Cal's fallback plan. Caserio said Gannon was his guy and that got vetoed. The fact that you think that Caserio wanted to hire Culley/Lovie is laughable.

Hopefully Cal has learned and for the 1st time in franchise history the McNair's let their GM hire the HC of his choosing. Until this happens you can expect more dysfunction.

BTW, I have been critical of Caserio bringing in DJ/re-signing Murray/ he didn't draft like I wanted him too last draft etc...

I just believe in giving Caserio a chance to make the picks he got from the Derrick trade. Speaking of Derrick, I don't believe in trading within division.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Everyone knows what negatives that Nick caserio faced when he was hired as a general manager. Those against him continuing are unsatisfied with the majority of the things he has done. That does not mean he has not made some good decisions.
It didn't take a season for me to realize that David Culley was wrong for this team. The time Nick has had is good enough for me to know he is not what I want for the future.
So you think Caserio wanted to hire Culley/Lovie? If so I can understand your thinking. I think this boils down to you also not liking the way he's handled the cap. Remember all of the cap doom and gloomers Caserio's 1st yr here. I said it would take a couple of years to clean the cap. It did.I'll also add that when Caserio took the job he thought Derrick was going to be his QB.

Tell me exactly what those against him continuing issues are? Sending Lovie/Culley out to answer questions about Derrick/Cooks isn't a fire able offense and it just shows me some are reaching to run him out of nrg. I don't know how good of a GM Caserio is, but he atleast should get the chance to pick the players from the Derrick deal before anybody can have a true feel for the job he's done.

Last edited:

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
In NFL terms he's a midget.

My mind hasn't changed, I like the 2024 class much more than the 2023 class.

What excuses?
You just started calling him midget. Before that you said that if they had to draft a quarterback, you wanted it to be Young. But now you are calling him a midget so you don't have to support him if he is the pick. I like the 2024 class better also and next year at this time will probably like the 2025 class even better... and so it goes. The more I think on it and watch film, I think Young could be okay. He moves well and he's smart. If he gets injured then you draft another one just like any other player. I guess they could draft the NFL sized Stroud, but I think Young the better QB by far. But by your way of thinking it will be Stroud that we have to support... or most do, I know you won't support either one

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You just started calling him midget. Before that you said that if they had to draft a quarterback, you wanted it to be Young. But now you are calling him a midget so you don't have to support him if he is the pick. I like the 2024 class better also and next year at this time will probably like the 2025 class even better... and so it goes. The more I think on it and watch film, I think Young could be okay. He moves well and he's smart. If he gets injured then you draft another one just like any other player. I guess they could draft the NFL sized Stroud, but I think Young the better QB by far. But by your way of thinking it will be Stroud that we have to support... or most do, I know you won't support either one
I said if they just have to draft a QB I hope it's Young.

I don't actually want Cal make Caserio draft the midget. I do believe he could be ok. I don't want ok at 1-1. That's how you live in mediocrity.

I support not drafting a QB in this draft.

The1ApplePie

Hall of Fame
I said if they just have to draft a QB I hope it's Young.

I don't actually want Cal make Caserio draft the midget. I do believe he could be ok. I don't want ok at 1-1. That's how you live in mediocrity.

I support not drafting a QB in this draft.
The QB situation wasn't addressed last year, supposedly, because this QB class is so hyped. Zero percent chance that the team goes into a third-straight year of not having an NFL-level QB. Caserio is gone if he has a repeat of this year, he's going QB.

The two biggest holes are QB and WR, no reason not to take care of both with the 1st overall and a top 10 pick.

beerlover

Hall of Fame
The QB situation wasn't addressed last year, supposedly, because this QB class is so hyped. Zero percent chance that the team goes into a third-straight year of not having an NFL-level QB. Caserio is gone if he has a repeat of this year, he's going QB.

The two biggest holes are QB and WR, no reason not to take care of both with the 1st overall and a top 10 pick.
How much influence does self preservation factor into decision of whom to draft? Ownership may publicly say they have full confidence in Nick & Lovie, but we all know the leash has to snug to tight around their necks. Last thing this organization needs is to have lame duck front office with first overall pick in the draft and multiple other high picks to rebuild Texan franchise.

This is why, whether people agree or not, Cal & Janice need to clean house. Need more juice in front office and on the field to take advantage of our misfortune. Texan fans/players deserve as much!

Number19

Hall of Fame
Man that's a lot of typing to post Foxboro hate. If Miller for a 5th is the worst Caserio does the Texans are in good shape.The rest we've already talked about, the McNair's hire the HC's and always have. No Cal didn't want McCown to be the HC, neither did Caserio. Janice/Easterby did and Caserio did what employees who just signed 36 million dollar contracts do, what the boss wants. If Cal hadn't talked Janice out of McCown then McCown would be the HC. Lovie was Cal's fallback plan. Caserio said Gannon was his guy and that got vetoed. The fact that you think that Caserio wanted to hire Culley/Lovie is laughable.

Hopefully Cal has learned and for the 1st time in franchise history the McNair's let their GM hire the HC of his choosing. Until this happens you can expect more dysfunction.

BTW, I have been critical of Caserio bringing in DJ/re-signing Murray/ he didn't draft like I wanted him too last draft etc...

I just believe in giving Caserio a chance to make the picks he got from the Derrick trade. Speaking of Derrick, I don't believe in trading within division.
I don't keep up with these things well enough to know, but if Caserio has a $36M contract, does anyone seriously think he will be fired? Even for the rich, $36M is not chump change.

Number19

Hall of Fame
And we do have Mills to backup Young.