Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2023 NFL Draft Order

yes

future picks are valued a round lower per year
While that may be true it's only so in a very limited way, in theory or in an academic sense.
When we sit down in KC this Spring for the 2023 NFL Draft we will in fact have two picks in the first round of that Draft, i.e. in the most practical terms one of those two first round picks came from the Browns by way of the Watson trade.

While that may be true it's only so in a very limited way, in theory or in an academic sense.
When we sit down in KC this Spring for the 2023 NFL Draft we will in fact have two picks in the first round of that Draft, i.e. in the most practical terms one of those two first round picks came from the Browns by way of the Watson trade.
The point is really about comparing one trade against another on equal grounds

Stumbled across this thread and wanted to add some thought.

I don't think Caserio did so much more than any other GM in pulling off that deal to send Watson to the Browns.
Watson was considered a top 5 QB in the league. Yes he had personal concerns, but once those are done, you are left with a top 5 QB.
Most QB needy teams will give up picks (see multiple teams in the mix) to get a talent like that.

Also, you have to consider the Browns team as a whole. This is a team that hadn't settled the QB position since returning to the NFL.
If the picks were what it was going to cost to get a QB of that caliber (regardless of warts) that's a no brainer for them.
Additionally, the Browns don't have a crap roster. Even now, sitting at 5-7, they are underachieving.
Should Watson take the Browns to the playoffs next year or the next, that trade will be amazing for them, regardless of how good it was for the Texans.
In the mean time, the Texans will be spending 1st round picks HOPING to get a QB that could come close to Watson's ability (see no guarantees).

Not to pick sides and certainly not to be a d*ck, but that's hardly worth tooting one's own horn over.
Time will tell more, but should Watson (GOD FORBID) get the Browns to or win the Super Bowl, how does that trade look in retrospect?
What will be said about Watson? I would wager the next 10 years salary that Cleveland would erect a statue in his honor.
"THE SAVIOR OF CLEVELAND FOOTBALL"

Here's to hoping he sucks mad ass !!

I don't think Caserio did so much more than any other GM in pulling off that deal to send Watson to the Browns.

Watson was considered a top 5 QB in the
Not to pick sides and certainly not to be a d*ck, but that's hardly worth tooting one's own horn over.
Time will tell more, but should Watson (GOD FORBID) get the Browns to or win the Super Bowl, how does that trade look in retrospect?
What will be said about Watson? I would wager the next 10 years salary that Cleveland would erect a statue in his honor.

I don’t think anyone is horn tooting. The Texans had to trade a player that no longer wanted to be here and ownership no longer wanted on the team. It was an untenable situation that had to be resolved. Had none of what happened occurred, no trade would have been considered. There’s no way you can predict getting equal value. Just have to get the best deal available, and that’s what the Texans were able to do.

Most QB needy teams will give up picks (see multiple teams in the mix) to get a talent like that.
You seem to be forgetting the NTC that Watson had. Caserio opened the bidding to 31 teams, but only 4 stepped up. Cleveland won that bidding war with the ludicrous guaranteed contract offer and the Texans did very well in the deal. Without the NTC maybe they could have got more, but that's not a certainty.

Watson was considered a top 5 QB in the league. Yes he had personal concerns, but once those are done, you are left with a top 5 QB.

Also, you have to consider the Browns team as a whole. This is a team that hadn't settled the QB position since returning to the NFL.
If the picks were what it was going to cost to get a QB of that caliber (regardless of warts) that's a no brainer for them.
Additionally, the Browns don't have a crap roster. Even now, sitting at 5-7, they are underachieving.
Should Watson take the Browns to the playoffs next year or the next, that trade will be amazing for them, regardless of how good it was for the Texans.
In the mean time, the Texans will be spending 1st round picks HOPING to get a QB that could come close to Watson's ability (see no guarantees).

Depends on how good you think Derrick is.

Is the statue going to have an erection with a small towel hanging over it?

I don’t think anyone is horn tooting. The Texans had to trade a player that no longer wanted to be here and ownership no longer wanted on the team. It was an untenable situation that had to be resolved. Had none of what happened occurred, no trade would have been considered. There’s no way you can predict getting equal value. Just have to get the best deal available, and that’s what the Texans were able to do.

Do you think Caserio got equal value considering the circumstances.

Maybe we do need to trade back, back, back, back, back and back again ensuring a more appetizing palate for a marquee shake-up on Kirby :toropalm:

Or we can just do a better damn job of acquiring premium talent both in the draft and free agency. I’ll give Sir Nick one more year with or without Lovie. That’s what we do, suck it up and keep hanging in there like insane lame ducks 🦆

He did his job. No one is sculpting a bust in Canton for it.
Never said they should. Just said he did a good job considering the circumstances.

2nd best trade for a single active player in NFL history for a known sexual predator/ pervert.

I get that you have never liked Caserio but he did his job in a way above avg way. Do you really think a GM like say RS or BOB could have pulled off this deal? Be honest with yourself.

I get that you have never liked Caserio
It's not that I never liked Caserio. I didn't care for the optics of how he got the gig. But, he had earned a chance at a GM position. It's a tough job in Houston, but he should have known that going in. So far, he's looked like a novice GM that's learning. And the fact that he's never been part of a rebuild has made it even tougher.

Caserio needs a cap guy. He needs a deeper scouting department on both the pro and college side. He also needs a mentor - a guy between him & Cal that has been around the block. Unfortunately for Nick, he's going to be in a tough spot this offseason. Either charged with the task of firing another head coach, or going down with him.

My point is very simple and I agree with Lucky in this regard.
The player did not want to be here any longer. The NTC was of little consequence. Did it matter? Sure, but lets not overstate it either.
Lets also not make the deal out to be more than it was. The "Horn Tooting" is a direct reference to it being one of the best deals in NFL history.
I'm not trying to be a d*ck by any stretch, I simply disagree. The GM did what GM's are hired to do and he got the best deal available.
A large part of that happening (regardless of Watson's personal issues) is the fact the last time he played, he was a top 5 player at the most important position on the team.
Teams are willing to take chances with players of the level. Hell, teams take chances with players that aren't that important to a team.

A statue of Watson would be the simplest of things Cleveland would do for a QB that brought them an NFL Championship.

That was a great post, and I didn't want to delete it. That's why I edited the last line. I probably won't do that again, so please watch the language.

Maybe we do need to trade back, back, back, back, back and back again ensuring a more appetizing palate for a marquee shake-up on Kirby :toropalm:

Or we can just do a better damn job of acquiring premium talent both in the draft and free agency. I’ll give Sir Nick one more year with or without Lovie. That’s what we do, suck it up and keep hanging in there like insane lame ducks 🦆

I agree. Getting premium talent sometimes involves giving up picks in the same draft allowing you to pick said player sooner.. We all have seen it happen/most understand it.

Doing this cost you draft pick/s, you end up with fewer picks/players in that draft. Addition by subtraction.

Some posters don't seem to understand that this how a gm ends up with fewer players than he had picks going in.

Preferring quantity over quality isn't how I would build a roster. I think Caserio does too.

I wonder if teams judge the success of their scouts and hold them accountable. Solid projections.
I feel scouting is second only to coaching, a very close second.

:coffee:

Never said they should. Just said he did a good job considering the circumstances.

2nd best trade for a single active player in NFL history for a known sexual predator/ pervert.

I get that you have never liked Caserio but he did his job in a way above avg way. Do you really think a GM like say RS or BOB could have pulled off this deal? Be honest with yourself.
Honest is what you want, you could’ve or anyone else for that matter could’ve got 3 1st rd draft picks for Watson. Caserio declared he wanted 3 1s and 2 2s. He did not get that and it was very doable. I said from the get go Caserio would be another Belichick Admin. Another Scott Pioli, Caserio is worse. Like all Belichick Admins they are trained to be facilitators, not GMs and that is why they have such high failure rates as GMs.

Last edited:
Honest is what you want, you could’ve or anyone else could’ve got 3 1st rd draft picks for Watson. Caserio declared he wanted 3 1s and 2 2s. He did not get that and it was very doable. I said from the get go Caserio would be another Belichick Admin. Another Scott Pioli, Caserio is worse. Like all Belichick Admins they are trained to be facilitators, not GMs and that is why they have such high failure rates as GMs.

What you want in trade for a sexual deviant and what you get are 2 very different thing and I dont think you or I could've made the 2nd best deal in NFL history for a single player. Frankly I'm surprised Caserio got as much as he did. Of course that could be because you know my thoughts on Derrick as a player and as a person Selfish and you cant win championships with selfish.

My bad Lucky. Another poster mentioned something I won't mention again (It's still there) and responded to that. No issues moving forward.

Secondarily.... you know what else you can't win championships with? A lack of talent.
The Steelers would like to speak to you about that as well. They made great efforts to dodge all the concerns Ben Roethlisberger had.
How many women was he accused of raping during his career? The guy was a grade A, #1, piece of crap person.
However, he was one of the most prolific passers in NFL history and a 2x Super Bowl Champion.

How many women was he accused of raping during his career? The guy was a grade A, #1, piece of crap person.
However, he was one of the most prolific passers in NFL history and a 2x Super Bowl Champion.
I think the times now treat these offenses differently than when Ben's accusations occurred. But you're right, Roethlisberger should have faced more scrutiny.

What you want in trade for a sexual deviant and what you get are 2 very different thing and I dont think you or I could've made the 2nd best deal in NFL history for a single player. Frankly I'm surprised Caserio got as much as he did. Of course that could be because you know my thoughts on Derrick as a player and as a person Selfish and you cant win championships with selfish.
The Browns and Jimmy Haslam couldn't care less about Watson's sexual deviant history. If they had cared or were worried one iota they would have never given him a fully GTD contract. If Haslam was willing to GTD Watson $230MM for five years, 2 2s wouldn't have stopped the deal from getting done. Your boy got played.

There were several teams that were bidding for Watson. They had to meet 2 criteria, (1) Watson waived his NTC and (2) they had to meet Texans demand for 3 1st RD draft picks PLUS. That's why I was never surprised that they got 3 1st. I was surprised they didn't get more.

The Browns and Jimmy Haslam couldn't care less about Watson's sexual deviant history. If they had cared or were worried one iota they would have never given him a fully GTD contract. If Haslam was willing to GTD Watson $230MM for five years, 2 2s wouldn't have stopped the deal from getting done. Your boy got played.

There were several teams that were bidding for Watson. They had to meet 2 criteria, (1) Watson waived his NTC and (2) they had to meet Texans demand for 3 1st RD draft picks PLUS. That's why I was never surprised that they got 3 1st. I was surprised they didn't get more.

This is where our opinions differ, probably because of how we look at Derrick the player in addition to Derrick the person. Wonder how longit will be until Derrick gets Stephanski fired. Derrick's a coach killer. Pure and simple.

Saturday random thoughts:

At least one projected, current, draft order has it: Texans (1/1); Lions (1/2); Bears (1/3); Seahawks (1/4); Panthers (1/5); and Eagles (1/6).

The Bears have Justin Fields and the Eagles have Jalen Hurts at QB, so they will not be drafting at the QB position.

The Seahawks have Geno Smith at QB. His contract is up this year, but Smith is a top 10 QB, currently ranked #7. Under Smith the Seahawks are in the playoff hunt with a 7-5 record.

The Lions are in a bit of a pickle. Goff's contract runs through 2024 and he is currently ranked #15. The Lions' record is 5-7.

The Panthers, next to the Texans, are hurting the most at QB. Sam Darnold's contract is up in 2022 and he is ranked #29.

So what I'm looking at is whether the Texans have an opportunity to trade down, and how far, and still have a high probability of drafting Bryce Young.

Since his rookie contract (2013-2016), Geno Smith has signed a series of 1-year contracts, the highest paid being this year with Seattle ($1,212,500). He should be looking to cash in, and I'm projecting the Seahawks will be trying to resign the #7 ranked QB.

So that leaves the Lions and the Panthers, and both should be looking at drafting QB, unless they sign a vet prior to the draft.

So where does that leave the Texans? Just throwing it out there, Jared Goff is 6'4"/222 lbs and I'm guessing C.J.Stroud, without a coaching change, better fits the Lions' offensive scheme and the Michigan weather. If I were the Texans, I'd have my eye on swapping down with Detroit, and looking for no more than their first second round selection, currently around #46. Detroit also has a second, second round selection, at the end of the round.

Depending on how the draft order ends up (Chicago may end up at 1/2), trading down with the Lions, and still getting Young, is a risk I'd seriously consider chancing.

The Panthers also have two second round selections (currently about #40 and #59) and will be looking to move up. The question is, which QB would they be eyeing? The Texans would certainly have to be aware of the chance of being leapfrogged as they were in 2017.

Saturday random thoughts:

At least one projected, current, draft order has it: Texans (1/1); Lions (1/2); Bears (1/3); Seahawks (1/4); Panthers (1/5); and Eagles (1/6).

The Bears have Justin Fields and the Eagles have Jalen Hurts at QB, so they will not be drafting at the QB position.

The Seahawks have Geno Smith at QB. His contract is up this year, but Smith is a top 10 QB, currently ranked #7. Under Smith the Seahawks are in the playoff hunt with a 7-5 record.

The Lions are in a bit of a pickle. Goff's contract runs through 2024 and he is currently ranked #15. The Lions' record is 5-7.

The Panthers, next to the Texans, are hurting the most at QB. Sam Darnold's contract is up in 2022 and he is ranked #29.

So what I'm looking at is whether the Texans have an opportunity to trade down, and how far, and still have a high probability of drafting Bryce Young.

Since his rookie contract (2013-2016), Geno Smith has signed a series of 1-year contracts, the highest paid being this year with Seattle ($1,212,500). He should be looking to cash in, and I'm projecting the Seahawks will be trying to resign the #7 ranked QB.

So that leaves the Lions and the Panthers, and both should be looking at drafting QB, unless they sign a vet prior to the draft.

So where does that leave the Texans? Just throwing it out there, Jared Goff is 6'4"/222 lbs and I'm guessing C.J.Stroud, without a coaching change, better fits the Lions' offensive scheme and the Michigan weather. If I were the Texans, I'd have my eye on swapping down with Detroit, and looking for no more than their first second round selection, currently around #46. Detroit also has a second, second round selection, at the end of the round.

Depending on how the draft order ends up (Chicago may end up at 1/2), trading down with the Lions, and still getting Young, is a risk I'd seriously consider chancing.

The Panthers also have two second round selections (currently about #40 and #59) and will be looking to move up. The question is, which QB would they be eyeing? The Texans would certainly have to be aware of the chance of being leapfrogged as they were in 2017.

If the Texans dont draft a QB at 1-1 and trade down, they could set this franchise up for yrs to come even if they dont pick a QB after the trade down.

If the Texans dont draft a QB at 1-1 and trade down, they could set this franchise up for yrs to come even if they dont pick a QB after the trade down.
Where I disagree with you, if the Texans don't draft QB, then I roll with Mills as the starter next year. We don't sign a FA vet to be the starter, but we do sign a replacement for Allen. If we're looking to doing poorly next year, and drafting a QB in '24, I see no sense in expending the capital that an above average vet QB would ask.

Where I disagree with you, if the Texans don't draft QB, then I roll with Mills as the starter next year. We don't sign a FA vet to be the starter, but we do sign a replacement for Allen. If we're looking to doing poorly next year, and drafting a QB in '24, I see no sense in expending the capital that an above average vet QB would ask.

I get what you're saying

I'm looking for competent QB play so the young talent on the roster can be properly evaluated. Even with better (Not great) QB play I think this team would be really bad.

I get what you're saying

I'm looking for competent QB play so the young talent on the roster can be properly evaluated. Even with better (Not great) QB play I think this team would be really bad.
If we have the defensive draft you'd like, I think we would improve to a point where we may not be "really bad".

I just noticed while looking at team's offensive rankings, Detroit is ranked #6 in points scored offensively, so their poor season may not be a result of this and they may not be ready to move on from Goff, because of his contract. They may need defensive help in the draft.

A lot to take into account if we trade down.

Texans need a solid veteran QB on their roster regardless of when the next QB is drafted. I see a lot of value in this move for the teams overall success. Texans have never done this, so we have no idea how this could potentially help. If it fails…..at least they tried something different.

Texans need a solid veteran QB on their roster regardless of when the next QB is drafted. I see a lot of value in this move for the teams overall success. Texans have never done this, so we have no idea how this could potentially help. If it fails…..at least they tried something different.
For whatever reason, Geno Smith seems to like one year contracts. Perhaps Texans could outbid Seattle for his services. He's making $1.2M this year. Offer him $4M, all of it guaranteed. With a solid defensive draft and a few solid offensive FA signings, perhaps we could approach 6 to 8 wins next year.

But do you want to? I thought you passed on a QB this year to be in position to get one next year?
You make my point. We have the dollars for FA signings and we have quality draft picks. Why would you want to further improve the team with a quality FA qb signing? I have previously commented, if we aim for a '24 qb in the draft, I'd stay with Mills as the '23 starter and just sign a replacement for Allen. It doesn't always pay to be too cute with planning the future.

You make my point. We have the dollars for FA signings and we have quality draft picks. Why would you want to further improve the team with a quality FA qb signing? I have previously commented, if we aim for a '24 qb in the draft, I'd stay with Mills as the '23 starter and just sign a replacement for Allen. It doesn't always pay to be too cute with planning the future.

They will still be bad next yr.

c3fef2e4a9a9f9db40dbe4321cd817e8.jpg

Seattle at 2 can set up some interesting offers from Lions at 4, Raiders at 8, Carolina at 9, and Atlanta at 10.

Someone may want to jump ahead of Seattle to get a QB of their choice.

Caserio should entertain offers. There could be a nice haul to be had, but just don’t get too greedy.

I don’t know all the point values, but I think swapping first round picks, then getting a 2nd for this year and a 1st for next year may be worth it. But I don’t know the points so maybe that is too much or not enough. I am a homer.

Seattle at 2 can set up some interesting offers from Lions at 4, Raiders at 8, Carolina at 9, and Atlanta at 10.
The difference between #1 (3000) and #4 (1800) is the equivalent of the #12 pick. So a 2023 2nd and a 2024 1st would be close.

Picks #8 - 10 (avg. 1350) are less than halfway to get to 3000. A minimum of 2 extra 1st rounders would be required.

Last edited:
First, I don’t think anyone is trading up for any other position other than QB. I think teams are more than willing to let the draft come to them if a QB isn’t on the radar.

So, it really comes down to teams that feel they need a QB….at this time….to take the next step.

If Seattle (Denver) stays at 2 I think they’ll take the QB that falls to them without trading up. Geno Smith could sign and bridge a season if needed. Seattle is also in a nice spot to trade back.

Chicago is stuck with Fields for at least another season. Anyone else get the feeling that the Bears would go QB at 3 if Fields had completed his 3rd year? Bears probably go defense.

The Lions could use a QB, but Goff is coming on strong and Detroit might be smelling playoffs. Goff has 2 more years on his contract and he’s not playing badly. I think the Lions roll with Goff and keep adding to the roster. The Rams are making the draft position nice for the Lions.

Eagles don’t need a QB.

The Cardinals are strapped to Murray’s contract for the foreseeable future, therefore they’re not trading up from the 6 spot.

If things remain as they are…..7) Colts, 8) Raiders, and 9) Panthers are the teams most likely to make a move in the draft to get a QB at 1 or 2.

Texans 3,000

Colts RD1-07-007= 1,500 + RD2-07-038= 520 + 2024 RD1 + 2024 RD2 and/or a player.

Raiders RD1-08-008= 1,400 + RD2-08-039= 510 + 2024 RD1 + 2024 RD3 + RB- Zamir White

Panthers RD1-09-009= 1,350 + RD2-09-040= 500 + RD2-00-056= 340 + 2024 RD1 + 2025 RD1

First, I don’t think anyone is trading up for any other position other than QB. I think teams are more than willing to let the draft come to them if a QB isn’t on the radar.

So, it really comes down to teams that feel they need a QB….at this time….to take the next step.

If Seattle (Denver) stays at 2 I think they’ll take the QB that falls to them without trading up. Geno Smith could sign and bridge a season if needed. Seattle is also in a nice spot to trade back.

Chicago is stuck with Fields for at least another season. Anyone else get the feeling that the Bears would go QB at 3 if Fields had completed his 3rd year? Bears probably go defense.

The Lions could use a QB, but Goff is coming on strong and Detroit might be smelling playoffs. Goff has 2 more years on his contract and he’s not playing badly. I think the Lions roll with Goff and keep adding to the roster. The Rams are making the draft position nice for the Lions.

Eagles don’t need a QB.

The Cardinals are strapped to Murray’s contract for the foreseeable future, therefore they’re not trading up from the 6 spot.

If things remain as they are…..7) Colts, 8) Raiders, and 9) Panthers are the teams most likely to make a move in the draft to get a QB at 1 or 2.

Texans 3,000

Colts RD1-07-007= 1,500 + RD2-07-038= 520 + 2024 RD1 + 2024 RD2 and/or a player.

Raiders RD1-08-008= 1,400 + RD2-08-039= 510 + 2024 RD1 + 2024 RD3 + RB- Zamir White

Panthers RD1-09-009= 1,350 + RD2-09-040= 500 + RD2-00-056= 340 + 2024 RD1 + 2025 RD1
Tagged for reference

Eagles don’t need a QB.

Texans 3,000

If Seattle has settled on their guy they could trade up 1 spot to get him and to keep another team from jumping in front of them and losing out.

If Seattle has settled on their guy they could trade up 1 spot to get him and to keep another team from jumping in front of them and losing out.
I wouldn't get too greedy. Say a second rounder in '23 and a first in '24. How does that work out in points? This would be ideal for the Texans if they are not committed to Young themselves. Three firsts in '24 should be enough to entice a trade up to secure Williams.

Eagles don’t need a QB.

Texans 3,000

The last is only one I'd do and why I am hopeful that would put pressure on others to offer more.

Rounding out as I expected Houston 1.1 and Browns 8 to 10.

I can see a double trade down from one to three or four and then that spot traded down again. If we don't come out of this with at least three firsts in 2023 I'm going to be disappointed.
To end up with three firsts in 2023, we'll have to work a trade with one of the 7 other teams who have multiple firsts : Detroit, Green Bay, Kansas City, New Orleans, NY Giants, NY Jets or Philadelphia.

More likely we work a trade to get that third first in 2024.

To end up with three firsts in 2023, we'll have to work a trade with one of the 7 other teams who have multiple firsts : Detroit, Green Bay, Kansas City, New Orleans, NY Giants, NY Jets or Philadelphia.
I think you're looking at the 2022 draft order. As of now, only the Lions, Eagles, Seahawks, and Texans have multiple 1sts in the 2023 draft.

Reactions: JB
I am glad that panthers are dropping and Colts possibly interested in Will Levis.
1.1 to Seattle
1.2 to Lions
1.5 to Panthers.

If there was someone in this draft that stood way and above everyone else I think being #2 would matter.

I’m not seeing that as a problem this draft.

Back