Which option and why

• 1 or 2 or 3

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Why

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

beerlover

Hall of Fame
Bryce Young had scholarship offers in the 8th grade. CJ had one offer after his Junior season of High School. Then after Senior Season offers from all the big schools. His projected trend is on a much steeper curve than Young, who has leveled off. We shall see, that’s why they play the game!

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
This really comes down to do you think Mills last 5 games were a fluke?
When Mills game evolved from horrible to good over 11 starts, that's a really good sign that the game began to slow down for him. I prefer that over a good start that fizzles as the season progresses. Just looking forward to what start #12 brings for Mills, the Texans, and the fans.

DanielTx

Veteran
maybe but he is short and that is a concern. Give me Will Levis who is roughly 6’ 4”
Have to check him out. Must admit the qb class for the draft looks nice along with Cj Stroud and Caleb Williams. We’re going to have a nice selection

badboy

Hall of Fame
Have to check him out. Must admit the qb class for the draft looks nice along with Cj Stroud and Caleb Williams. We’re going to have a nice selection
to clarify USC Trojan Caleb Williams is a true sophomore and ineligible for draft in 2023. Stroud looking ok so far but against nobodies and that might continue for a while. His agent is same as Watson's and that is a concern for me and I think for Houston. Young whom I like despite his size didn't come to play against Longhorns and barely pulled out a win and that had to be with super play to do so. Much of that was on Bill Obrien offensive coordinator. Young had stats yesterday against University of Monroe Louisiana but had two INTs. Not a confidence booster. I am still hoping for Mills.

OptimisticTexan

The 2023 QB class looks as though they will need successful organizations to have a strong chance at impressing at the NFL level. With the current state of the Texans, which of these 2023 NFL QB prospects would put them in a better position to succeed?

As with every Texans QB.....they mostly enjoy success when the OL is above average. Oh, and that was only for a few seasons since inception. The OL looked like steaming pile of shite yesterday. Mills rarely had a clean pocket to work from b/c the Broncos front seven were literally shoving them back into the huddle with Mills on every pass play. Mills is being forced to launch the ball off his back foot or off balance far too many times. I'd have a hard time convincing myself to step into throws with the way the pocket is collapsing. The few times Mills has a chance to step into his throws....balls got NFL zip and accuracy. Unfortunately, that's mostly been between the hash-marks. He's got to get those passes down outside the hash-marks.

Texans need to shore up their OL before I'd spend another pick on a QB. Texans throw QB's out the window like some throw money.

Mangler

Toro de España
At this point, maybe we can hold off on drafting a QB out of desperation and go all out for Arch Manning? Solidify the offensive line over the next couple of seasons so we don’t have to witness our shiny new QB get destroyed mentally/physically.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
At this point, maybe we can hold off on drafting a QB out of desperation and go all out for Arch Manning? Solidify the offensive line over the next couple of seasons so we don’t have to witness our shiny new QB get destroyed mentally/physically.
Your plan is to draft one specific player who won't be be eligible iuntil 2026 who's also yet to play so much as one snap in college?

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
If that specific player is a Manning QB it should be on the radar.
Should be on the radar as what exactly?

And we should be where as a ballclub relative to being able to draft him?

Say out loud that you wanna plan 4 years out to draft one player in particular who's in high school as we speak and see how that feels..

Mr teX

Hall of Fame

Say out loud that you wanna plan 4 years out to draft one player in particular who's in high school as we speak and see how that feels..
aside from that, Archie said to hell with his boy going to the garbage Chargers…he called up Tags and helped orchestrate a trade for him to the Giants. The same kind of power play could be in order for Arch if the Texans somehow suck enough to get up there to draft him…

TexansBull

Hall of Fame

I will say it out loud -

The Texans should have have multiple plans as to building the team. One of those should be targeting a specific player that has yet to play college ball. He comes from a family that that has 3 members that played QB in the NFL and have 4 Super Bowl rings between them and potentially 2 Hall of Fame players. Have you heard of the Manning’s? If not Google them. This isn’t just any player.

One thing the Texans have faced with their two first round draft pick QBs is that the QBs didn’t have any guidance. Carr could have used someone to tell him how to study game film and focus on the game at hand instead of getting haircuts. Watson could have used guidance on having someone talk him into getting help and stopping to see all those massage therapists. Not saying it would have fixed either situation with different outcomes, but it would have helped for sure.

With the Manning clan you know he will have guidance 24/7. He will have resources on how to study game film and what to look for out of opposing defenses.

Yes - the Texans should be playing the long game thinking if they put everything in place such as an offensive line, a RB, receivers, tight ends, and a top ten defense and how it could be sold to the Manning’s. Have a team like the 2013 Texans before OB blew that up.

In fact if I was Cal I would go from cooking burgers at training camp to delivering pizza to the Manning’s on Monday night football. I would be donating to their charities and showing up to their QB camps. Cal went to UT. He should be showing up to the games on the sidelines. He should be leveraging that.

They could pass on drafting a QB and trading that 1st round pick for more picks. If they have a top three they should shop it. They may not have the Browns to take advantage of, but there may be others.

Then could go into 2024 with three first round draft picks. They could use the highest as trade collateral to pick up another first the following year. Keep doing that until 2026. Meanwhile keep filling holes through the draft and FA.

If Mills doesn’t work than bring in Baker/Trubisky/Tannehill or someone else for a two year contract.

That should be a plan. They should have a plan to take a qb possibly next year. And they should have a plan to take a QB in 2024. They shouldn’t rush to draft a qb in the first out of desperation.

They should even have a plan for the next head coach. Be looking at assistants and college coaches.

Things don’t have to be linear. Be working several angles. Have plans. Have contingency plans. Know your next steps. Everything should be on the table.

There I said it. I feel better.

TexansBull

Hall of Fame
aside from that, Archie said to hell with his boy going to the garbage Chargers…he called up Tags and helped orchestrate a trade for him to the Giants. The same kind of power play could be in order for Arch if the Texans somehow suck enough to get up there to draft him…
It could happen. So what? Are the Texans supposed to be too afraid to bet on themselves?

Peyton wanted to play here after the Colts let him go.

Mollywhopper

Facilitator
Staff member
I will say it out loud -

The Texans should have have multiple plans as to building the team. One of those should be targeting a specific player that has yet to play college ball. He comes from a family that that has 3 members that played QB in the NFL and have 4 Super Bowl rings between them and potentially 2 Hall of Fame players. Have you heard of the Manning’s? If not Google them. This isn’t just any player.

One thing the Texans have faced with their two first round draft pick QBs is that the QBs didn’t have any guidance. Carr could have used someone to tell him how to study game film and focus on the game at hand instead of getting haircuts. Watson could have used guidance on having someone talk him into getting help and stopping to see all those massage therapists. Not saying it would have fixed either situation with different outcomes, but it would have helped for sure.

With the Manning clan you know he will have guidance 24/7. He will have resources on how to study game film and what to look for out of opposing defenses.

Yes - the Texans should be playing the long game thinking if they put everything in place such as an offensive line, a RB, receivers, tight ends, and a top ten defense and how it could be sold to the Manning’s. Have a team like the 2013 Texans before OB blew that up.

In fact if I was Cal I would go from cooking burgers at training camp to delivering pizza to the Manning’s on Monday night football. I would be donating to their charities and showing up to their QB camps. Cal went to UT. He should be showing up to the games on the sidelines. He should be leveraging that.

They could pass on drafting a QB and trading that 1st round pick for more picks. If they have a top three they should shop it. They may not have the Browns to take advantage of, but there may be others.

Then could go into 2024 with three first round draft picks. They could use the highest as trade collateral to pick up another first the following year. Keep doing that until 2026. Meanwhile keep filling holes through the draft and FA.

If Mills doesn’t work than bring in Baker/Trubisky/Tannehill or someone else for a two year contract.

That should be a plan. They should have a plan to take a qb possibly next year. And they should have a plan to take a QB in 2024. They shouldn’t rush to draft a qb in the first out of desperation.

They should even have a plan for the next head coach. Be looking at assistants and college coaches.

Things don’t have to be linear. Be working several angles. Have plans. Have contingency plans. Know your next steps. Everything should be on the table.

There I said it. I feel better.
That's hilarious..

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think Ewers has a chance to be special. He showed great poise in his 1st college start against Alabama. He's also got a great arm A special talent. Too bad he got hurt, if healthy the Horns would have won that game. IMHO

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
If you don't have the first round pick and the kid is so special, nothing says the #1 pick could be traded for, so you should add you have to absolutely tank

badboy

Hall of Fame
There is little we can do this season to improve this roster or to assist Davis Mills in getting better other than coaching. He is under very reasonable salary cap for the next two seasons and at minimum can be our future backup. I still want to see Levis, Stroud and Young against much better defenses than so far. In my opinion we should be building this roster to help the quarterback position regardless of who is handling the ball. We are going to need at least one more high-profile wide receiver and that's only if Metchie can return in 2023 as he played in college. I'm not sure if he can. Good news at least for now 3 good targets round 1.
Pearce a bit better but RB still a need with several in lower rounds.

We still cannot shut down the Run and we need at least one plugger on the line and probably another one at mid linebacker. Again those should be available.

None of our offensive line satisfies me but hopefully that will improve as they adapt to each other. Sad news I don't see anything in the draft other than at Center with two options in round three.

Game changers at wide receiver and running back should be there. As of now I would not be against drafting wide receiver twice in round 1 especially if we can trade out of our top pick. I think we can get a super good Edge rusher and a wide receiver without a trade down. All is not lost for the future.. yet.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I'm hoping the draft goes something like this.

Rd.1 Jaxson Smith- Njigba WR Ohio St.
Rd.1 Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern
Rd.2 Darnell Washington TE Georgia
Rd.3 Drew Sanders LB Arkansas (I would trade into the 2nd for Sanders)
Rd.3 Siaki Ika DT Baylor
Rd.4 Steve Avila C TCU
Rd.5 Roschon Johnson RB Texas

JRingo

Rookie

Rd.3 Siaki Ika DT Baylor
Rd.4 Steve Avila C TCU
I want to see another stud or 2 for the OL. I also have been watching Arkansas games and like Sanders a lot. I don’t know if any of the QBs this year are special. Too early to tell. I’d be willing to give up our 1st pick if we can get multiple picks so we can improve other parts of the team.

OptimisticTexan

Rd.3 Siaki Ika DT Baylor
Rd.4 Steve Avila C TCU
I'm trending towards:

OT- Peter Skoronski, Northwestern
OC- Ricky Stromberg, Arkansas
OG- Andrew Vorhees, USC
WR- Quentin Johnston, TCU
RB- Mohamad Ibrahim, Minnesota
SS/CB- Antonio Johnson, Texas A&M
LB- Jack Campbell, Iowa
TE- Darnell Washington, Georgia

Texans should find most of these in and around their picks.

Last edited:

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I want to see another stud or 2 for the OL. I also have been watching Arkansas games and like Sanders a lot. I don’t know if any of the QBs this year are special. Too early to tell. I’d be willing to give up our 1st pick if we can get multiple picks so we can improve other parts of the team.
Yep, as of right now Sanders is going to be one of the top 50 players in the draft. He may even go in the 1st if he tests well.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Should get some interesting information after Alabama plays Arkansas Saturday and Ohio State plays 3-1 but inconsistent Rutgers.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Detroit and Seattle both with two round ones and high round twos [Seahawks have two 1s and two 2s] and could be looking for QB thru trade ups IF Houston not.

A possibility is

1.1 to Seattle for 4 + 22 × 36. Then trade 4 to Lions for say 12 + 28.

12 22 28 33 and 36.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Detroit and Seattle both with two round ones and high round twos [Seahawks have two 1s and two 2s] and could be looking for QB thru trade ups IF Houston not.

A possibility is

1.1 to Seattle for 4 + 22 × 36. Then trade 4 to Lions for say 12 + 28.

12 22 28 33 and 36.
Give me the Seahawks trade and a 2024 1st.

1-4 Anderson
1-22 TCU- Johnston
2-33 Texans pick- Darnell Washington
2-36 Ika
3-66 Achane
3, Cleveland pick Stromberg.

I also want a 2024 1st from Seattle. The players I selected are all difference makers. I would also reset the LB market in FA to bring in Roquan Smith and if that didn't work I would add Devin Bush at a cheaper price.

Adding these 7 players plus having three 2024 1sts should set the team up well to be a good team when they find their QB in 2024.

Sign Roquan Smith in FA.

OptimisticTexan

Give me the Seahawks trade and a 2024 1st.

1-4 Anderson
1-22 TCU- Johnston
2-33 Texans pick- Darnell Washington
2-36 Ika
3-66 Achane
3, Cleveland pick Stromberg.

I also want a 2024 1st from Seattle. The players I selected are all difference makers. I would also reset the LB market in FA to bring in Roquan Smith and if that didn't work I would add Devin Bush at a cheaper price.

Adding these 7 players plus having three 2024 1sts should set the team up well to be a good team when they find their QB in 2024.

Sign Roquan Smith in FA.
Stromberg’s name will probably be moved up to RD2 b/c he’s having a pretty decent season. The Razorbacks may have lost to Bama but their run game was on regardless.

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch
Honestly none of these guys coning out impress me. Stroud looks the part, but im not impresses with what ive seen of him. Young doesnt look like he’ll be much on the next level either.
My opinion also. Right now...3nd round pick.

:coffee:

cuppacoffee

Resident Grouch

Rd.3 Siaki Ika DT Baylor
Rd.4 Steve Avila C TCU
Com'on Steel, find us a couple edge rushers.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
Com'on Steel, find us a couple edge rushers.

I think a combination of Anderson and Sanders from Arkansas would be a great duo. But I still like Greenard and finding the guy in the middle that negates the run game is more important. IMHO.

A front 4 of Anderson, Ika/ Collins and Greenard is pretty formidable.