Thanks for your support!

2023 Davis Mills vs Bryce Young

Which option and why

• 1 or 2 or 3

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Why

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Mills has so far and I believe year two development favors Mills as well. So, I’m going to go with Mills.
Fair enough.

I think Lawrence is way more talented, so unless the Texans organization gets their heads out their hind side, Mills won't be who he could've been.

Some team will try to rehab TL because of his dynamic style of play. DM won't.

Fair enough.

I think Lawrence is way more talented, so unless the Texans organization gets their heads out their hind side, Mills won't be who he could've been.

Those expectations heaped on TL may have been the same type of expectations heaped on Davis Mills had he waited and entered this years draft instead. He's probably the first QB off the board in RD1.

Those expectations heaped on TL may have been the same type of expectations heaped on Davis Mills had he waited and entered this years draft instead. He's probably the first QB off the board in RD1.
I don't see it. Kenny Picket would probably still been first, at 20

Fair enough.

If you mean the Clemson one read and run around style you are probably correct.

I don't see it. Kenny Picket would probably still been first, at 20

I agree with that. Pickett didn't carry Mills' injury history and Kenny is more mobile. Everything else is a wash.

giphy.gif

How much do small hands impact a person?

How much do small hands impact a person?
Pickett was picked at 20. Teams just weren’t hungry. Mills is not a “dynamic” player. He wasn’t going to outshine anyone. You saw him play last year, in the NFL & there are people still not sold on him, especially outside the 610 loop.

I agree with that. Pickett didn't carry Mills' injury history and Kenny is more mobile. Everything else is a wash.

Before last years draft, I didn’t even really know Davis Mills. I wanted the Texans to take Kenny Pickett. After the Texans selected Mills that’s when I got to looking into him and figured the Texans might’ve gotten themselves a early entry gem.

Yeah, like Matt Barkley? You nor I know. Its nothing in the way Mills played his last year at Stanford to say he would be a 1st rd pick.

The third post in this thread

Yeah, the 2023 QB class will have the prototypical NFL QB's from a physical standpoint and then a few of the top QB's are the sub 6 footers who are really talented, but must be drafted into the right offensive systems to have any real chance of success at the next level.

One QB that would be high on my list and should be the perfect compliment to Mills and Pep is Tanner McKee of Stanford. At 6-6 and 225 lbs he meets the prototypical NFL size requirements and possesses an NFL arm that is more than capable of making all the throws. He's got a solid Stanford IQ of the position and is cognizant of the offense being used by the Texans. His biggest adjustment coming into a familiar situation would be the adjustment to NFL speed and what DC's do to disguise their coverages.

Scenario:
Mills improves 2022 season to <> 15 th best QB. He has 2 years left on rookie contract. Team improves also but has pick 1 in 2023 draft as most analysts project.

Alabama QB Young has another spectacular year as true junior. He was 2021 Heisman on #2 team. Team controls contract for 5 years versus 2 for Mills extending cheap money for cap purposes.

Options:

1 keep Mills as he has 2 years with his team, knows offense and is well respected by teammates. He also has two seasons left on a rookie deal. In this scenario you would still have first pick in 2023 + Cleveland's round 1 and an extra round three from the Watson trade to build the team out. Also could trade out of 1.1 for haul of picks.

Risk, he might not ever get better and the team may never be high enough to get your franchise guy.

2 Keep Mills, sit Young for year or 2, hope for comp pick after 2024 or trade Mills after 2023.

Risk, Young may not become THE guy but team still has an NFL Mills.

3. Trade Mills to one of many needy teams such as Seattle or Pittsburgh. Draft Young who has been compared to Drew Brees.

It is possible to trade down from 1.1 and still select Bryce Young giving Texans even more ammunition to build for playoffs.

4. Keep Mills. Draft CJ Stroud. Yes over Bryce Young. Develop him like 49ers have done with Trey Lance, so when he’s ready to start it will be on their time table. Restructure Mills next contract to remain a Texan, like Jimmy G is now with San Francisco. That’s how you do it!

4. Keep Mills. Draft CJ Stroud. Yes over Bryce Young. Develop him like 49ers have done with Trey Lance, so when he’s ready to start it will be on their time table. Restructure Mills next contract to remain a Texan, like Jimmy G is now with San Francisco. That’s how you do it!
I don't trust QB's from Ohio State even more than I don't trust them from Alabama...
Who was the last successful QB from Ohio State? Mike Tomczak? And he was an UDFA

Are we sure Lance has been "developed"?

I mean looking at that as a success is a bit premature imo.

The next QB we draft I want to be fairly certain that he's ready to start day 1

I don't trust QB's from Ohio State even more than I don't trust them from Alabama...
Who was the last successful QB from Ohio State? Mike Tomczak? And he was an UDFA

You made it perfectly clear who YOU do not trust. Anyone from Ohio State or Alabama. For what it’s worth, CJ was and still is a big fan of Justin Fields.

Are we sure Lance has been "developed"?

I mean looking at that as a success is a bit premature imo.

The next QB we draft I want to be fairly certain that he's ready to start day 1

Does it matter if anyone else but the organization believes in Lance or not? clearly they do. Much different QB than Stroud, on a completely different time table to be selected by some other NFL franchise I’m sure of that 😂

You made it perfectly clear who YOU do not trust. Anyone from Ohio State or Alabama. For what it’s worth, CJ was and still is a big fan of Justin Fields.
Has Justin Fields proven himself yet? Or is just going to be another typical Chicago Bear QB?

Mills has one of the tougher starting gigs for a QB. This year OL will be much improved both from a coaching standpoint and talent/skill level. RB/WR room better as well. It takes time, usually, depending on situation for a rookie, especially QB to excel. So many factors to consider. Look how well Pickett for Pittsburg has performed in preseason. Granted not regular season so not against the 1’s as much but he’s in a much better winning organization than Texans, or da Bears (Fields) with coaching and supporting cast. These high QB selections (Trevor Lawerence for example our own David Carr for another) struggle, or injured (Fields) or worse ruined….. long list.

Know this, Mills will be truly tested with adequate supporting cast, no excuses with Pep Hamilton, to have real clear/accurate evaluation, unless hurt, about what direction to take in 2023 draft. This time, there will be excellent options available.

I totally like that and think that Stroud is a better quarterback than Young. However I do not see Texans going with Stroud and his current agent due to the Watson Fiasco. Do you disagree? If Mills could project out his last five games this season I would not be concerned about replacing him anytime soon. Just not too sure how that could happen. Mughetta has to be a no no for McNairs.

I totally like that and think that Stroud is a better quarterback than Young. However I do not see Texans going with Stroud and his current agent due to the Watson Fiasco. Do you disagree? If Mills could project out his last five games this season I would not be concerned about replacing him anytime soon. Just not too sure how that could happen. Mughetta has to be a no no for McNairs.

Like I said, if the McNairs can't play with the big boys they have no business owning NFL franchise, just misery all around as has been the case.

Like I said, if the McNairs can't play with the big boys they have no business owning NFL franchise, just misery all around as has been the case.

This will take a minimum of 4 years to watch play out and then we’ll all see how the McNair’s and Caserio plan to keep it together……provided it’s worth keeping together.

Do not want Stroud

This has nothing to do with playing with the big boys. This has to do with avoiding having to deal with unethical people and avoiding another over hyped Ohio State QB.

No team ducks a talented player because of an agent. If you start doing that, you're shrinking the pool of players availible to the team. So the Texans wouldn't take Josh Allen of Buffalo right now? Well he's athletes 1st client. By them trading Watson vs playing hardball, they still have that gate open with that agency. Look at their client list and think about the new ones they will probably add.

No team ducks a talented player because of an agent. If you start doing that, you're shrinking the pool of players availible to the team. So the Texans wouldn't take Josh Allen of Buffalo right now? Well he's athletes 1st client. By them trading Watson vs playing hardball, they still have that gate open with that agency. Look at their client list and think about the new ones they will probably add.
Mughetta (sp) does not necessarily mean athletes 1st... lots of different agents there

What if Mills, earning less than 1,000,000 a year, as a starting NFL QB figures he could do a lot better, so he fires Joe Segal (now with WME sports) and goes with Athletes First?

What if Mills, earning less than 1,000,000 a year, as a starting NFL QB figures he could do a lot better, so he fires Joe Segal (now with WME sports) and goes with Athletes First?
No problem unless he chooses Mulugheta, and then no problem until it becomes one. I don't think they would (or should) negotiate with him. Athletes First is an agency, not an agent

No problem unless he chooses Mulugheta, and then no problem until it becomes one. I don't think they would (or should) negotiate with him. Athletes First is an agency, not an agent

Probably not (actually not eligible for another year, I think)? But seed is laid, another arrow in the quiver. All I’m saying is the rules of engagement are a changing, you adapt or become irrelevant.

Deal with trash at your own peril

Probably not (actually not eligible for another year, I think)? But seed is laid, another arrow in the quiver. All I’m saying is the rules of engagement are a changing, you adapt or become irrelevant.

Or do better research on who you're bringing into your org.

Due to interest and posts this topic is now open to include CJ Stroud and any other quarterback that you think should be an option to Davis Mills.

2021 for all three was the first full year in control of the offense for each with of course Mills at an NFL level. All three had similar experiences initially starting off slow but ending very well. Mills' last five game average was extremely like Stroud and Young.

Mills doesn't have fortune of years of team building rosters and that I take into consideration. However it does appear we may be going in the correct direction for once. Excellent draft picks in 2023 should benefit whoever the quarterback is that that is without possible trades. I also look at the years of controllable contract at the quarterback position.

Back