Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Free Agency

badboy

Hall of Fame
I just got this
With NFL free agency set to begin this week, the Houston Texans are reportedly bringing back one of their top defensive players. According to Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chronicle, cornerback Bradley Roby has agreed to a contract extension to stay with the franchise.
Per the report, the former Ohio State standout has agreed to terms with the Texans on a contract extension that will pay him $36 million over three seasons. The deal is expected to include between $18 million and $19 million in guaranteed money.

Mangler

Toro de España
So it is a 3 year $91M deal (salary plus signing bonus) since 2022 becomes guaranteed on the 5th day of next year's (2021) league year unless they want to take a huge cap hit after 2021. QB market rate is insane, I can't wait to see what Mahomes' contract numbers will be.
O’Brien’s dumbass will probably wait to see what Mahomes gets, which will probably be 4 years, $145-150M, with a signing bonus of around $60-75M. I hope Watson doesn’t give him any type of discount!

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
O’Brien’s dumbass will probably wait to see what Mahomes gets, which will probably be 4 years, $145-150M, with a signing bonus of around $60-75M. I hope Watson doesn’t give him any type of discount!

DW4 getting Mahomes $$$$.

LMAO

Man some of you guys think DW4 is alot better than he really is. I'm more of the train of thought that HOF'er Kurt Warner had to say about DW4's play.

281Texan

Waterboy
Not picking on you per se, but I see people saying this all the time regarding the Tunsil trade. First of all, if you wanted a top LT you’d have to trade up in the draft to get one so you’d be giving up picks to do that. None of the OTs are as highly rated as Tunsil was coming out. Included in the deal was Stills who is a very solid number 3 Wr and provides insurance for WFV. Additionally we got a high 4th round pick in the deal. You have to pay him but that’s how it goes. With each contract extension the dollar amounts get pushed higher, it’s just how it goes in the NFL.

As far as his ranking, I looked at the highly ranked OTs and one thing I noticed, they were all on established OLs with really good players around them. Tunsil had a rookie OG next to him. Given that cohesion is so important to the OL, this had to be a factor. Plus, he needs to stop getting false start penalties, which should be correctable
I just disagree that we would have to trade up in this class. It’s a very deep tackle class. Becton, Thomas, wills, wirfs, (to name a few) all have franchise LT potential. But you’re right, I don’t know or think any of them will be as good as Tunsil, so I’m definitely glad to have him. Just nauseous about the price

281Texan

Waterboy
Well first of all of those three the mocks I've seen have only Jackson as any where within range of us. Wirfs is projected as top 5 and Thomas top 10 so yeah to move up from the 20s, where the Texans would have been drafting most likely, would have cost us another first and some change. I suppose there is the chance that Howard, Davenport or Khalil at LT would have been bad enough last season that Watson would go down and then our season would be tanked so in that regard yeah we might have been able to picking in range of all three.

So lets say best case scenario, relatively speaking, and you have your choice of any of the three. Doesn't matter how talented a guy is unless he is to Offensive line what Watt was to defense or Brady to QBing he is going to take at least one season to get NFL ready, with Devlin as coach most likely more. So yeah that's another season of seeing how many hits it takes to get to the chewy center of Watson.

The price of LTs is not going to go down any more than the price of QBs is going to go down and you can't keep playing music chairs to try to bring rookies in all the time. At some point you have to pay guys and Tunsil, who by the way was graded a 7.5 at his combine as compared to the mid 6s of the other 3, is a good choice because he's now been in the system a year and he was coached by a "Not Devlin" Oline coach his rookie years.
Everything you’re saying is completely valid, the only thing I disagree with is I’m not basing anything off of combine grades, I know they tell part of a story but don’t forget guys like Greg Robinson were graded just as high. Yes Tunsil is nowhere near a bust or anything but the guys coming out could be Tunsil or they could be Robinson. But even to jump up and get your pick of the LT’s available I don’t think you’d need to trade 2 firsts to do so. I may be wrong. Since the tackle class is so deep a lot of those guys may drop and there may be a run on a position that’s less deep, like edge rushers. Another premium position.

Regardless, I’m happy with Tunsil. Id just love to find a way to recoup some of the capital. I’d like to see if we could move fuller and one of our mid rounders to get up to the first or 2nd next year

Mangler

Toro de España
DW4 getting Mahomes $$$$.

LMAO

Man some of you guys think DW4 is alot better than he really is. I'm more of the train of thought that HOF'er Kurt Warner had to say about DW4's play.
You’re always in the same train of thought with anyone that speaks negatively of Watson. It’s alright though, we all have our own opinions. The fact to the matter is, Watson is getting a big contract whether you like it or not. The longer O’Brien waits, the bigger the number will be.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
You’re always in the same train of thought with anyone that speaks negatively of Watson. It’s alright though, we all have our own opinions. The fact to the matter is, Watson is getting a big contract whether you like it or not. The longer O’Brien waits, the bigger the number will be.
True

And the Texans won't be winning SB's

Mr teX

Hall of Fame
Coutee is the only trade piece that makes sense here. He found himself in BoB's doghouse last year but he played under Kingsbury at Tech & he knows that system. He'd be a great weapon to add with Murray. The cardinals also desperately need to rid themselves of Johnson’s contract.

This is also a very deep draft for WR. We could replace Coutee in the 3rd or even 4th.

Last edited:

theCATALYST

Football Messiah
Coutee is the only trade piece that makes sense here. He found himself in BoB's doghouse last year but he played under Kingsbury at Tech & he knows that system. He'd be a great weapon to add with Murray. The cardinals also desperately need to rid themselves of Johnson’s contract.

This is also a very deep draft for WR. We could replace Coutee in the 3rd or even 4th.
This I would love to happen.

Mangler

Toro de España
Can’t believe we’re getting David Johnson! I wonder what it’s going to cost us though? Hopefully just Coutee and a late round pick cause we need all the help we can get!