Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Free Agency

badboy

Hall of Fame
Hasn't JuJu been injured quite a few times during his brief career?
Week 11 2019 season he was hit helmet-to-helmet if I remember correctly by Greedy Williams. I would check in with Doc To get a more recent update of his medical history. I don't think it will be a problem. He has set several NFL records in his brief career that you mentioned. Remember that he played behind Antonio Brown one point was the second leading wide receiver for the team after Brown.

texan279

Hall of Fame
Haven't seen or heard anything about a Schuster trade, not that there isn't talks going on. But, this is Schuster's last year of his contract. He is going to command big $$$. Just like the money we could have paid Hopkins.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
And Watt - it's a Watt family reunion in Pittsburg and the Texans get JuJu (and some beans)
OB could very well be looking to unload Watt's contract for Schuster-Smith's future contract. Key, would OB be able to coax an additional pick out of a trade like this?

Texansballer74

The Marine
Nobody knows what Bill O’Brien will do. The man just traded away his best player for a unproductive third string back and a 2nd round pick. So to say he would not trade his 2nd round pick for JuJu is pretty darn crazy.

santo

Hall of Fame
Contributor's Club
Nobody knows what Bill O’Brien will do. The man just traded away his best player for a unproductive third string back and a 2nd round pick. So to say he would not trade his 2nd round pick for JuJu is pretty darn crazy.
But as long as he's not RS, it will be ok. OB has 4 more years to make these type of deals, and then we'll see a championship.

:gotexans1

badboy

Hall of Fame
Getting out of my car, Cecil Shorts stated a Texan pro bowler was recruiting another former pro bowler to come play here. 610 went to a break and I never heard more and search finds zero. Anyone else hear anything?

Rich Schmidt

Myopicone
Getting out of my car, Cecil Shorts stated a Texan pro bowler was recruiting another former pro bowler to come play here. 610 went to a break and I never heard more and search finds zero. Anyone else hear anything?
I hope it is someone that can still get after the passer, I heard them talking about Aldon Smith in the afternoon and about spit my drink. Old man Mcnair would come back to veto that. I feel they are done with big money FA's, but Logan Ryan, maybe he will do a deal this late in FA we are willing to do. Unclear how they feel about Lonnie's development, he got torched bad against KC

badboy

Hall of Fame
I hope it is someone that can still get after the passer, I heard them talking about Aldon Smith in the afternoon and about spit my drink. Old man Mcnair would come back to veto that. I feel they are done with big money FA's, but Logan Ryan, maybe he will do a deal this late in FA we are willing to do. Unclear how they feel about Lonnie's development, he got torched bad against KC
Agreed. Yeah on the program I heard was John McClain he said no way would he have Aldon Smith back due to his off-the-field Activity.

leebigeztx

Keep it Movin!
I think a 14 game healthy Fuller with prorated stats based on my post makes up for Nuk. His eye popping catches fun and make Dashaun look better but points are points and 7 TDs not enough for 3 year all pro wanting to almost double his money. I'm not looking for Fuller or a draft pick to supplant Hopkins but I am hoping that the overall wide receiver Corps will be better.
You know what #1 type players do consistently? They play hurt alot. They "tough it out" and produce consistency. Pro rated stats are terrible indicators. Its like the per 48 mins for guys who play 12 minutes a night in hoops. Again, I dont want to stay off topic, Fuller when healthy can be a 1200 yd 8 td type of wr. He's not a red zone threat, but they can find someone in the group who can. What if he has his 1st healthy season and put up those numbers, then what? You see what Amari just signed for? Can anyone be comfortable with him making more than 10m with his Injury profile? Oh yeah, Stills is a free agent after this yr also.

badboy

Hall of Fame
You know what #1 type players do consistently? They play hurt alot. They "tough it out" and produce consistency. Pro rated stats are terrible indicators. Its like the per 48 mins for guys who play 12 minutes a night in hoops. Again, I dont want to stay off topic, Fuller when healthy can be a 1200 yd 8 td type of wr. He's not a red zone threat, but they can find someone in the group who can. What if he has his 1st healthy season and put up those numbers, then what? You see what Amari just signed for? Can anyone be comfortable with him making more than 10m with his Injury profile? Oh yeah, Stills is a free agent after this yr also.
We should be prepared to replace both Fuller and Stills next offseason. You know my history and I've suggested cut/trading Fuller more than once and suggested trades for Stills. O'Brien has them on roster-- for now. We need to get at least one WR this draft who will be a WR1 or WR2 2021 and the other next offseason. It will be difficult with highest a third round selection. I am forcing myself to focus on this "now" season and worry about later, later. One of the reasons I've suggested moving Watson who cannot IMO reach full potential in Houston. More and more are agreeing with me.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
It's going to be OK. I'm kind of hoping they draft Claypool at 57 and he will be the RZ beast I think he can be. If this happens they wont miss Nuk much at all. Targets spread around with a RZ beast = Success whether Nuk is here or not and yes, Nuk will be missed. I liked his willingness to play hurt and perform at a very high level in spite of playing hurt.

I look at this season as season #1 of DW4 having to play without NuK for the 1st time in 7 yrs not counting Nuk's rookie NFL season.

If this combo only produces at a 75% success rate then it was time to move on. This next season is about finding out about what DW4's learned in the last 3 yrs because he no longer has Nuk as his fallback option when he's in trouble. Hopefully Cobb become the go to guy at 3rd and 5 out of the slot. Guys like Welker/Troy Brown/Edelman have made quite living at this position in the slot in Foxboro.

The fact that a 30 yr old Cobb will probably be the best slot WR in franchise history speaks volumes about he Casserly/RS tenures as GM.

badboy

Hall of Fame
It's going to be OK. I'm kind of hoping they draft Claypool at 57 and he will be the RZ beast I think he can be. If this happens they wont miss Nuk much at all. Targets spread around with a RZ beast = Success whether Nuk is here or not and yes, Nuk will be missed. I liked his willingness to play hurt and perform at a very high level in spite of playing hurt.

I look at this season as season #1 of DW4 having to play without NuK for the 1st time in 7 yrs not counting Nuk's rookie NFL season.

If this combo only produces at a 75% success rate then it was time to move on. This next season is about finding out about what DW4's learned in the last 3 yrs because he no longer has Nuk as his fallback option when he's in trouble. Hopefully Cobb become the go to guy at 3rd and 5 out of the slot. Guys like Welker/Troy Brown/Edelman have made quite living at this position in the slot in Foxboro.

The fact that a 30 yr old Cobb will probably be the best slot WR in franchise history speaks volumes about he Casserly/RS tenures as GM.
I agree a better slot plus hopefully a greater focus on tight ends and our new RB being much better than Hyde as a receiving Target offers me optimism. Watson should be ecstatic those positions improvements.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
We should be prepared to replace both Fuller and Stills next offseason. You know my history and I've suggested cut/trading Fuller more than once and suggested trades for Stills. O'Brien has them on roster-- for now. We need to get at least one WR this draft who will be a WR1 or WR2 2021 and the other next offseason. It will be difficult with highest a third round selection. I am forcing myself to focus on this "now" season and worry about later, later. One of the reasons I've suggested moving Watson who cannot IMO reach full potential in Houston. More and more are agreeing with me.
Re-sign Stills draft somebody this yr and somebody in the 3rd/4th rd next yr and hngs will be OK. My question is what do you do if WFV stays healthy and have a big yr. If WFV stays healthy he will have a big yr.

badboy

Hall of Fame
Re-sign Stills draft somebody this yr and somebody in the 3rd/4th rd next yr and hngs will be OK. My question is what do you do if WFV stays healthy and have a big yr. If WFV stays healthy he will have a big yr.
I think it's possible we could re-sign Stills at a reasonable contract but no way Fuller if he balls out this season. As mentioned at post 518 he is going to want a huge amount of cash and I would not do that. A Claypool now to offer size/speed and target especially red zone plus a Fuller type 2021 would be good with Cobb.

steelbtexan

King of the W. B. Club
Contributor's Club
I think it's possible we could re-sign Stills at a reasonable contract but no way Fuller if he balls out this season. As mentioned at post 518 he is going to want a huge amount of cash and I would not do that. A Claypool now to offer size/speed and target especially red zone plus a Fuller type 2021 would be good with Cobb.
What do you think of a WR Corps of Stiils/Cobb/Claypool/4th rd pick make things good with you? I'm fine with something like this.

OptimisticTexan

2024 / Rebuilding Block 4 After Playoffs / Texans
We're going to see real quick if Fuller can carry Hopkins torch. Fuller will have to fight through the Hopkins type coverages for 16 games......lets see how he's holding up come mid-season. Fuller has never had to play through this type of coverage.

badboy

Hall of Fame
What do you think of a WR Corps of Stiils/Cobb/Claypool/4th rd pick make things good with you? I'm fine with something like this.
Yes to that but I have not had a chance to even look at the 2021 wide receiver Bunch. This was a below optimum off season but could correct somewhat with a draft like Lucky's. My concern is Claypool may turn into the tight end / WR that the Colts signed a few years ago. hopefully 2021 is a draft for Depth only.

badboy

Hall of Fame
We're going to see real quick if Fuller can carry Hopkins torch. Fuller will have to fight through the Hopkins type coverages for 16 games......lets see how he's holding up come mid-season. Fuller has never had to play through this type of coverage.
most of us think of Stills as a slot in my opinion. I think he will surprise us on the outside and could be the reason Fuller will have less attention.

JB

Innocent Bystander
Contributor's Club
Yep, although I was a member of the other MB I rarely visited that site because of posters like him.
I was too, but only visited a few times. Seemed people there just wanted to argue instead of discussing football. Some things never change