Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Free Agency

No to the LBs let's get players who can actually play a position other than special teams. I like Cole but Achilles recovery has me concerned. Let's try 4 different guys.

If Houston needs a new RB, does trading for former All-Pro David Johnson make sense?
I don't know who Aaron Reiss is, and the linked article was behind a paywall. I'm just wondering if he knew that David Johnson has a guaranteed $10 million salary in 2020? Trading for David Johnson would be like the Browns trading for Brock Osweiler. The Cards would need to kick in a 2nd rounder while the Texans gave Arizona a 5th.

No to the LBs let's get players who can actually play a position other than special teams. I like Cole but Achilles recovery has me concerned. Let's try 4 different guys.
I agree. All of those guys can be replaced with the picks at the bottom of the 7th round. Guys at the bottom of the roster should be on rookie contracts.

I don't know who Aaron Reiss is, and the linked article was behind a paywall. I'm just wondering if he knew that David Johnson has a guaranteed $10 million salary in 2020? Trading for David Johnson would be like the Browns trading for Brock Osweiler. The Cards would need to kick in a 2nd rounder while the Texans gave Arizona a 5th.
yeaah these are the guys who appear to be after clicks. He sees we have not re-signed Hyde so he throws an RB out there like those who say we will sign Gordon. Okay but not at what he thinks he's worth. Also I'm not sure why Arizona would eat $ 5 million in dead money. Their D. Johnson was rather similar to our D. Johnson as a fairly effective receiver and avg RB. We can get that productivity out of a day three guy and much cheaper.

Last edited:
Man .... coaches used to love embarrassing us, by ordering that we spell "team" aloud to prove there was no "i" in it.

Reactions: JB
It really only cost a 2021 1st for Tunsil. He's better than any LT in this class. So it wasn't an overpay.

All I’m saying is you could get a guy like wirfs, Thomas, Jackson and then you have them on rookie deals. You don’t have to pay those guys $19-$20 million a year next year like most are projecting for tunsil. You’ll have that money for a few key pieces in free agency whether it be reader, roby, edge guys, or another CB. At this point, you’re pretty much picking to retain either Roby or reader and then you’re paying Tunsil and Deshaun.

or in OB’s case we’re going to give kickers huge deals and prioritize overpaying for guys who practice hard

Agreed about this.

BOB overpaid for slightly above avg talent.

Looks like Mercilus is going to be a Texans for life.

Realistically I think a team that maybe missed out on target A or even target B will overpay for Whitney in free agency because he’s versatile enough to fit any scheme, and he’s a decent talent, but in no way should he be paid top edge rusher money. What’d we get him on his second deal? $28 Over 4? How the hell is he making more now when he’s much less effective. And Martin got his contract one year removed from being 5th best in a 4 team division. Just flabbergasted. And now we give a kicker huge money and resign a below average WR/kick returner whose only attainable quality in the NFL is returning kicks lol

True with everything you said however we might not have DeShaun Watson going forward without Tunsil keeping him on his feet.

that’s true, but I think we could’ve gotten away with Tytus or Scharping at LT for this season. I love Tunsil, I just have an extremely hard time giving up your next 2 drafts for him. Also have a hard time giving him best LT in football money when quite frankly, he isn’t.

that’s true, but I think we could’ve gotten away with Tytus or Scharping at LT for this season. I love Tunsil, I just have an extremely hard time giving up your next 2 drafts for him. Also have a hard time giving him best LT in football money when quite frankly, he isn’t.

Not picking on you per se, but I see people saying this all the time regarding the Tunsil trade. First of all, if you wanted a top LT you’d have to trade up in the draft to get one so you’d be giving up picks to do that. None of the OTs are as highly rated as Tunsil was coming out. Included in the deal was Stills who is a very solid number 3 Wr and provides insurance for WFV. Additionally we got a high 4th round pick in the deal. You have to pay him but that’s how it goes. With each contract extension the dollar amounts get pushed higher, it’s just how it goes in the NFL.

As far as his ranking, I looked at the highly ranked OTs and one thing I noticed, they were all on established OLs with really good players around them. Tunsil had a rookie OG next to him. Given that cohesion is so important to the OL, this had to be a factor. Plus, he needs to stop getting false start penalties, which should be correctable

All I’m saying is you could get a guy like wirfs, Thomas, Jackson and then you have them on rookie deals. You don’t have to pay those guys $19-$20 million a year next year like most are projecting for tunsil. You’ll have that money for a few key pieces in free agency whether it be reader, roby, edge guys, or another CB. At this point, you’re pretty much picking to retain either Roby or reader and then you’re paying Tunsil and Deshaun.

or in OB’s case we’re going to give kickers huge deals and prioritize overpaying for guys who practice hard

Well first of all of those three the mocks I've seen have only Jackson as any where within range of us. Wirfs is projected as top 5 and Thomas top 10 so yeah to move up from the 20s, where the Texans would have been drafting most likely, would have cost us another first and some change. I suppose there is the chance that Howard, Davenport or Khalil at LT would have been bad enough last season that Watson would go down and then our season would be tanked so in that regard yeah we might have been able to picking in range of all three.

So lets say best case scenario, relatively speaking, and you have your choice of any of the three. Doesn't matter how talented a guy is unless he is to Offensive line what Watt was to defense or Brady to QBing he is going to take at least one season to get NFL ready, with Devlin as coach most likely more. So yeah that's another season of seeing how many hits it takes to get to the chewy center of Watson.

The price of LTs is not going to go down any more than the price of QBs is going to go down and you can't keep playing music chairs to try to bring rookies in all the time. At some point you have to pay guys and Tunsil, who by the way was graded a 7.5 at his combine as compared to the mid 6s of the other 3, is a good choice because he's now been in the system a year and he was coached by a "Not Devlin" Oline coach his rookie years.

Howard was tried LT but no bueno. I think Scharping could have been okay but he's no Tunsil. Agree on $. Have you read my new thread on possible trades?

Well first of all of those three the mocks I've seen have only Jackson as any where within range of us. Wirfs is projected as top 5 and Thomas top 10 so yeah to move up from the 20s, where the Texans would have been drafting most likely, would have cost us another first and some change. I suppose there is the chance that Howard, Davenport or Khalil at LT would have been bad enough last season that Watson would go down and then our season would be tanked so in that regard yeah we might have been able to picking in range of all three.

So lets say best case scenario, relatively speaking, and you have your choice of any of the three. Doesn't matter how talented a guy is unless he is to Offensive line what Watt was to defense or Brady to QBing he is going to take at least one season to get NFL ready, with Devlin as coach most likely more. So yeah that's another season of seeing how many hits it takes to get to the chewy center of Watson.

The price of LTs is not going to go down any more than the price of QBs is going to go down and you can't keep playing music chairs to try to bring rookies in all the time. At some point you have to pay guys and Tunsil, who by the way was graded a 7.5 at his combine as compared to the mid 6s of the other 3, is a good choice because he's now been in the system a year and he was coached by a "Not Devlin" Oline coach his rookie years.
Tunsil had highest grade I can remember at LT. Also in my evaluation Mehki Becton only true LT and only day one starter. As pointed out we would have to trade a lot to get up to where he's slotted.

totally agree but most think Tytus right side only and if left at LT, Watson may not be among the walking alive. As is we should have greatly improved online even with Fulton.

Most definitely, O’Brien basically said he didn’t want to wait on Tytus development. So he went out and traded for Tunsil. Steep price indeed but he had to make that move. Now the job is to hopefully keep Tunsil for at least another year. That way they could and hopefully develop Tytus for that position if needed.

Most definitely, O’Brien basically said he didn’t want to wait on Tytus development. So he went out and traded for Tunsil. Steep price indeed but he had to make that move. Now the job is to hopefully keep Tunsil for at least another year. That way they could and hopefully develop Tytus for that position if needed.

Personally I would like to see them keep Howard at RT, he seems a natural at the spot, and draft a LT project at some point either this draft or the next. Then if we are in worst case scenario the rookie will have at least a year to sit behind Tunsil. Remember even if a deal isn't reached we still have Tunsil next season and then the season after if we tag him. Trouble is with all our defense needs there may not be a free spot to draft with. At least not high enough to be worth taking.

Personally I would like to see them keep Howard at RT, he seems a natural at the spot, and draft a LT project at some point either this draft or the next. Then if we are in worst case scenario the rookie will have at least a year to sit behind Tunsil. Remember even if a deal isn't reached we still have Tunsil next season and then the season after if we tag him. Trouble is with all our defense needs there may not be a free spot to draft with. At least not high enough to be worth taking.
Unless Tunsil pulls a Trent Williams after draft and most FAs signed.

Unless Tunsil pulls a Trent Williams after draft and most FAs signed.

Williams is somewhat unique because for him it was personal. He felt both that the skins medical staff endangered his health and that he wasn’t valued. Tunsil has no reason to feel either so for him it would be all business and from a business stances most agents don’t like their client to sit out when tagged. Leaves a bad taste in teams mouths and can make other teams pass that might have been interested.

Fact is the only teams looking for a franchise LT are teams that have an answer at QB and are now looking to protect him just like the Texans. The number of teams like that AND have no answer at LT are not that many. Maybe the Bengals after this draft but they are a cheap ass org so no way they shell out more money than Texans would offer.

Williams is somewhat unique because for him it was personal. He felt both that the skins medical staff endangered his health and that he wasn’t valued. Tunsil has no reason to feel either so for him it would be all business and from a business stances most agents don’t like their client to sit out when tagged. Leaves a bad taste in teams mouths and can make other teams pass that might have been interested.

Fact is the only teams looking for a franchise LT are teams that have an answer at QB and are now looking to protect him just like the Texans. The number of teams like that AND have no answer at LT are not that many. Maybe the Bengals after this draft but they are a cheap ass org so no way they shell out more money than Texans would offer.
Yes personal for Twill but he held out forcing trade but unlike Leve'on Bell he should get a highest OT contract. Hard to ignore that if you are 25 and probowler Tunsil and no longer have an agent. Wash, Giants, Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Colts, Bengals, Browns, Steelers and Jags and Chargers need left tackles. That's just the AFC. I disagree that only teams with an answer at QB are looking for OTs.

Not picking on you per se, but I see people saying this all the time regarding the Tunsil trade. First of all, if you wanted a top LT you’d have to trade up in the draft to get one so you’d be giving up picks to do that. None of the OTs are as highly rated as Tunsil was coming out. Included in the deal was Stills who is a very solid number 3 Wr and provides insurance for WFV. Additionally we got a high 4th round pick in the deal. You have to pay him but that’s how it goes. With each contract extension the dollar amounts get pushed higher, it’s just how it goes in the NFL.

As far as his ranking, I looked at the highly ranked OTs and one thing I noticed, they were all on established OLs with really good players around them. Tunsil had a rookie OG next to him. Given that cohesion is so important to the OL, this had to be a factor. Plus, he needs to stop getting false start penalties, which should be correctable

Plus he played half a season with a dislocated shoulder.

Yes personal for Twill but he held out forcing trade but unlike Leve'on Bell he should get a highest OT contract. Hard to ignore that if you are 25 and probowler Tunsil and no longer have an agent. Wash, Giants, Dolphins, Pats, Jets, Colts, Bengals, Browns, Steelers and Jags and Chargers need left tackles. That's just the AFC. I disagree that only teams with an answer at QB are looking for OTs.

You're worrying over nothing. He's still gotta play out this season plus a tag if he doesn't want to be the highest paid ol in the league and take the guaranteed money

You're worrying over nothing. He's still gotta play out this season plus a tag if he doesn't want to be the highest paid ol in the league and take the guaranteed money
No he does not have to play out this season or the next and that's my concern. T will also had two years left on his contract. Hopefully he will remain on our roster but we do not know that it's pure conjecture at this point

No he does not have to play out this season or the next and that's my concern. T will also had two years left on his contract. Hopefully he will remain on our roster but we do not know that it's pure conjecture at this point

Exactly, it seems to me that some are not watching what's going on in the league. I mean how many times have there been cases in which players getting paid 2 years in advanced? How many times have these players held out because of not getting paid what they want?

Last edited:
Exactly, it seems to me that some are not watching what's going on in the league. I mean how many times have there been cases in which players getting paid 2 years in advanced? How many times have these players holdout because of not getting paid what they want?

Contracts are front loaded now.

I'm just glad the Texans are now negotiating with guys in the middle of the season.

Houston Texans

Key free agents:

CB Bradley Roby (UFA)
DL D.J. Reader (UFA)
RB Carlos Hyde (UFA)

State of the roster: The Texans are mostly set on offense. They have an improved line in place to protect one of the league’s best young quarterbacks in Deshaun Watson, who throws to one of the league’s more talented receiving corps. Houston’s issues are on defense, where the Texans finished 26th in pass defense DVOA thanks to a lack of cornerback depth and a pass rush that was ineffective without J.J. Watt.

Wish list: Though Over The Cap projects Houston to have around $53.9 million in cap space, potential extensions for Watson, left tackle Laremy Tunsil and linebacker Zach Cunningham could eat up a sizable portion of that. Rather than use what’s left on one of the top free-agent corners like Byron Jones and James Bradberry, Houston should add a second-tier defensive back and some interior pass rushing. Logan Ryan, maybe the most versatile defensive back on the market, could be the slot corner Houston needs, plus so much more. And 32-year-old Mario Addison is a reliable rusher who can play all over the line at a relatively affordable price.

Prediction: GM and head coach Bill O’Brien hasn’t sounded optimistic about the possibility that Reader returns. Rather than spend on a two-down, interior defensive tackle, Houston appears likely to invest in a corner along with some lower-tier pass rushers who can supplement Watt and outside linebacker Whitney Mercilus. I expect the Texans to ultimately bring back Roby rather than take a chance on a defensive back they don’t know as well.

— Aaron Reiss

Dolphins are the new Browns in term of cap space and draft picks. They could sign TWill with no problem. They could sign Tom Brady with no problem. They have 3 RD1 picks and it looks like they could take the top CB or DL, and they've been mocked, taking Center, Cesar Ruiz- Michigan and LT, Josh Jones- Houston who I see as a Howard type who would move to RT and develop at that position. There's enough meat left in their cap and draft picks to put a pretty exciting team on the fielD all in one season.

Texans just never seem to find themselves in this enviable position.

How has that worked for the Browns?

Yeah the Browns had their OB problem as well.....at least they knew they had to cut the strings and find a new HC and staff. Again, another position Texans fans find enviable.

Dolphins are the new Browns in term of cap space and draft picks. They could sign TWill with no problem. They could sign Tom Brady with no problem. They have 3 RD1 picks and it looks like they could take the top CB or DL, and they've been mocked, taking Center, Cesar Ruiz- Michigan and LT, Josh Jones- Houston who I see as a Howard type who would move to RT and develop at that position. There's enough meat left in their cap and draft picks to put a pretty exciting team on the fielD all in one season.

Texans just never seem to find themselves in this enviable position.
We could be in that position if we traded 2 of our best two years ago Watt (Kalil Mack) and Hopkins (Tunsil) and won only 5 games.

Back