Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2020 Free Agency

My boy was calling him out when he reported the wrong stuff on Roby. So he kicked him out of the group on FB. I posted a GIF saying,” Don’t do it”. So he kicked me out the group. Dude wants to report the news first so bad.
In the business, I think Talking Heads Hope they get one out of 10, right and then Hope people ignore the 9 they got wrong. We see this in other aspects of the so-called New Media Besides Sports

Good Lord. Why? Ronald Jones got over 700 yards and a 4.2 average and 22 years old still on a rookie contract. TV can get a Johnson type back lower round.

Because Johnson is the perfect fit in Arians offense. He runs one of the best wheel routes in the NFL. He can catch the ball like a WR and is great in pass pro. Jones cant do that.

Because Johnson is the perfect fit in Arians offense. He runs one of the best wheel routes in the NFL. He can catch the ball like a WR and is great in pass pro. Jones cant do that.
Perhaps, but Jones did average over 10 yards per catch if I remember correctly. They need a power running back That can take it through the middle. And I don't think Johnson that guy.

Their pick for the Texans is interesting.

One free agent each NFL team needs to pursue in the 2020 offseason
BY ANTHONY TREASH
JAN 22, 2020

HOUSTON TEXANS: CB TROY HILL
Houston’s secondary has hindered the team's success. The unit ranked 28th in coverage grade and will see its top two cornerbacks, Johnathan Joseph and Bradley Roby — who were average at best — enter free agency. They’ll need to bring in multiple cornerbacks, and one they need to be targeting is Troy Hill. While with the Rams these past four years, Hill has never seen a full season as a starter — but his 2019 production makes him deserving of such a role. Hill’s coverage grade was among the 25 best in football, and he allowed the second lowest catch rate (45.1%). With little draft capital, Houston will have to nail free agency, and Troy Hill for a lower cost is a good start

THE REST OF THE STORY
He is going to want a healthy last contract for his career. He might get something but based on only one season. I really don't want him unless he's very cheap. he has short arms small hands and I probably have a higher vertical than he does. Best thing he ever did was convinced and Jalen Ramsey to pay him $20,000 for number 22.

He is going to want a healthy last contract for his career. He might get something but based on only one season. I really don't want him unless he's very cheap. he has short arms small hands and I probably have a higher vertical than he does. Best thing he ever did was convinced and Jalen Ramsey to pay him $20,000 for number 22.

Did he Say Byron Jones?

Troy Hill ? LMAO

Interesting that none of the many Texans F/A's were recommended for any team
Very interesting indeed and I think you have zeroed in on something. Hopefully it will benefit Houston with guys like reader and Fells And we can bring them back at reasonable deals. I still think somebody's going to reach for DJ. And pay a lot more than we should. .

I cannot see that for any of our free agents. . Anyone disagree?

I heard on 610 today they may franchise Reader.

Not what I would do.

That $$$$ would be a large part of what I would use to sign Jones. I would also sign Suh for the 1 yr 13 mil he got last yr in Tampa.

Not what I would do.

That $$$$ would be a large part of what I would use to sign Jones. I would also sign Suh for the 1 yr 13 mil he got last yr in Tampa.
Yeah on 610 a couple weeks ago McClain said that they were going to bring Reader back. Even if they had to franchise him. That astonished me.

Yeah on 610 a couple weeks ago McClain said that they were going to bring Reader back. Even if they had to franchise him. That astonished me.

Right. Part of the organization's job, whether it be the owner, GM, or HC is to sell these guys on the team, to get them to stay. Work the money out so it's similar, but don't grossly overpay for talent.

They're building a team, not player careers.

That doesn't make much sense to me as the dead money is 16.2 million dollars. There is no upside to cutting him. . He averaged only 3.7 in 9 starts Rushing, but his receiving Was much better. I would not pay him anywhere near what he was getting with Arizona. But I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a Reasonable offer. I just don't see the Texans making a free agent move at that dollar level For a running back.

If I had to guess he would probably get a 1 year deal in the 6-8M range as a prove it. To me that’s a great deal for a potential 3-down running back. I also think having a threat in the backfield would help tremendously

David Johnson’s getting released from Arizona. I hope we jump all over that. If I’m not mistaken he was a player we (Bill) coveted pre draft process. I think his skill set would be great here

That doesn't make much sense to me as the dead money is 16.2 million dollars. There is no upside to cutting him. . He averaged only 3.7 in 9 starts Rushing, but his receiving Was much better. I would not pay him anywhere near what he was getting with Arizona. But I wouldn't mind bringing him in for a Reasonable offer. I just don't see the Texans making a free agent move at that dollar level For a running back.

Classic example of media "telephone game."

************************************************************************************************
Arizona Cardinals unlikely to release David Johnson despite speculation
Jeremy Cluff, Arizona RepublicPublished 9:36 a.m. MT Feb. 7, 2020
https://www.azcentral.com/story/spo...lease-david-johnson-false-report/4690528002/#

I really, really hope they don't overpay to bring in a free agent running back. Worst case, go with Duke Johnson as your starter. I'd rather they spend almost all of the available money on improving the defense. In a perfect world on offense, I wouldn't mind if they were able to get a quality guard or right tackle at a good price though again, not overpaying.

I really, really hope they don't overpay to bring in a free agent running back. Worst case, go with Duke Johnson as your starter. I'd rather they spend almost all of the available money on improving the defense. In a perfect world on offense, I wouldn't mind if they were able to get a quality guard or right tackle at a good price though again, not overpaying.
Just my opinion, but I don't think there's that many quality free agents at any position available this year. So more than likely there will be over payments to bring one in. The good news is if things fall just right we could bring in an Excellent right guard, cornerback and possibly an Edge rusher in FA and take pressure off our draft. Come on March 18th!!

Top 5 moves for FA/offseason before draft:

1) Cut Fulton, Hargreaves (not worth the 9mil due next season), and Kelemete. This would free up over 15 million to sign other FA or extend our own
2) Sign Scherff or Thuney
3) Sign Reader and Roby
4) Extend Tunsil
5) Sign Jones, Harris, or Waynes

Just my opinion, but I don't think there's that many quality free agents at any position available this year. So more than likely there will be over payments to bring one in. The good news is if things fall just right we could bring in an Excellent right guard, cornerback and possibly an Edge rusher in FA and take pressure off our draft. Come on March 18th!!
Which FAs would you choose?

Not what I would do.

In this division where every team wants to run the ball down your throat …. I think a guy like Reader has significant value.
I would prefer to get a long-term deal done , even if it was at market value but I'd tag him if that didn't work out.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-hargreaves-after-midseason-signing-in-2019/

Vernon Hargreaves cut, freeing $10 million cap space and leaving us with around $60 million to play with.

Ive seen Chris Harris mooted as a potential replacement. At 31 it’s a question of when and not if the drop off comes, but he could give us a good season or two.

I wouldn't be too mad if they cut the entire secondary after that 51-7 beat down.

(don't take this too seriously)

CB Darius Clay Detroit Lions are looking to trade. I know nothing of him but he's the best defender they have and 3 time pro bowler. Texans may or may not have good positioning. Also Chris Harris Jr. Broncos. js

I’m just not interested in old corners. Unless they can retain their speed ala Patrick Peterson. If there is a younger, faster CB on the market, that’s the direction the Texans should go.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...n-hargreaves-after-midseason-signing-in-2019/

Vernon Hargreaves cut, freeing $10 million cap space and leaving us with around $60 million to play with.

Ive seen Chris Harris mooted as a potential replacement. At 31 it’s a question of when and not if the drop off comes, but he could give us a good season or two.

I wouldn’t mind bringing in Harris for around $8-10m per year. Something around 3/$30. You resign Roby and bring in Harris then you have a nice 1-2-3 with them and Lonnie. But I think OB cares more about measurables than he does actual talent so I bet we end up bringing in a guy like trumaine johnson who’s big but can’t play

I wouldn’t mind bringing in Harris for around $8-10m per year. Something around 3/$30. You resign Roby and bring in Harris then you have a nice 1-2-3 with them and Lonnie. But I think OB cares more about measurables than he does actual talent so I bet we end up bringing in a guy like trumaine johnson who’s big but can’t play

As horrible as it was, I rewatched the KC game...at least the 1st half anyway & it wasn't as bad as it appeared at the time; people gotta stop overreacting to what happened in that game. Don't get me wrong, it was an abomination, but you gotta remember, KC is the best offense in the league & they largely picked on 1 guy in that game, a rookie in Lonnie Johnson Jr. We were also down a guy that likely would've been helping LJ over the top alot in Gipson.

I say all that to say, you'd have a nice 1-2-3-4 with Roby, Conley, Lonnie and Harris if you were to bring him in...Add in a FA pass rusher & the defense could be much improved in 2020.

As horrible as it was, I rewatched the KC game...at least the 1st half anyway & it wasn't as bad as it appeared at the time; people gotta stop overreacting to what happened in that game. Don't get me wrong, it was an abomination, but you gotta remember, KC is the best offense in the league & they largely picked on 1 guy in that game, a rookie in Lonnie Johnson Jr. We were also down a guy that likely would've been helping LJ over the top alot in Gipson.

I say all that to say, you'd have a nice 1-2-3-4 with Roby, Conley, Lonnie and Harris if you were to bring him in...Add in a FA pass rusher & the defense could be much improved in 2020.

Plus, draft another CB high and a safety too. (I like Dugger alot and he should be there in the 2nd rd.) The secondary would be much improved.

CB Darius Clay Detroit Lions are looking to trade. I know nothing of him but he's the best defender they have and 3 time pro bowler. Texans may or may not have good positioning. Also Chris Harris Jr. Broncos. js

Darius Slay implied he wants to be the highest-paid cornerback in football.

Responding to a Sports Illustrated article that discussed what Slay might earn on an extension, the 29-year-old tweeted back, "Y'all numbers too low." Coming off his third straight Pro Bowl appearance, Slay is undoubtedly due for a big raise and seems likely to eclipse Xavien Howard's $15.1 million salary as the top earner at his position. Slay was a no-show for voluntary OTAs last offseason and could hold out again if his contract demands aren't met. He's due a $10 million base salary in 2020, the final year of his current contract.
SOURCE: Darius Slay on Twitter
Feb 10, 2020, 8:36 AM ET

Be aware that Slay also missed games last season due to hamstring problems which actually plagued him since week 3 through most of the season.

No the KC game came down to poor coaching. I’ll quote King OB “it starts at the top it starts with me.” Yep, all his asinine play calling coupled with the fact that Romeo can’t adjust mid game or put his guys in a position to make a play. That being said, I do agree that group would be nice. You are giving up a little bit in length but if weaver wants to run a press man scheme then those would be the guys to do it with. It will be interesting to see what his philosophy and approach will be on defense and what will stay and go from crennel. My guess is it’s mostly the same scheme with some tweaks.

No the KC game came down to poor coaching. I’ll quote King OB “it starts at the top it starts with me.” Yep, all his asinine play calling coupled with the fact that Romeo can’t adjust mid game or put his guys in a position to make a play. That being said, I do agree that group would be nice. You are giving up a little bit in length but if weaver wants to run a press man scheme then those would be the guys to do it with. It will be interesting to see what his philosophy and approach will be on defense and what will stay and go from crennel. My guess is it’s mostly the same scheme with some tweaks.

You guys are so transparent. Would be interesting to see how Much you guys would read into BoB’s statements or how literal Ya’ll would take them if he approached his press conferences like Bill Parcells/Tom Coughlin and lobbed the criticism at the players instead of taking all the heat for his players like be routinely does.

If he lobbed criticism in his post game presser at DW4 for missing those wide open deep throws in the Carolina game...or those horrible picks in the Tennessee game, u guys wouldn’t be trying to hear it even though it’d be the truth, ya’ll would still be on the **** ya’ll are on now.

That was a total team meltdown.

The defense wasn't as bad as it looked, they didn't have anybody to cover Kelce since Gipson/Addae were hurt. I'm excited about Weaver (Not sure why) and hope he gets the talent he needs to be successful.

Depending on what he got, that's not good news for Reader's return.....or maybe it is good news for him in that the Texans think they won't be able to match what he will command out on the market.

3 yrs 12 mil.

Looks like Reader will be moving on, I cant imagine BOB spending 16 mil on the NT position. I would rather have Suh/Dunn/Draft pick than Reader.

It will be interesting to see what his philosophy and approach will be on defense and what will stay and go from crennel. My guess is it’s mostly the same scheme with some tweaks.

When a team changes coordinators, doesn't that coordinator usually bring in his own scheme? That doesn't seem to be the case with the Texans. It always seems to be the same with maybe some tweaks. On the offensive side it sure hasn't mattered if it's OB, Godsey or Kelly. I don't remember Vrabel's scheme being much different, just hit with a bunch of injuries, and here we go promoting from within again, where the DC is going to be under that umbrella.

The structure of this organization just doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

When a team changes coordinators, doesn't that coordinator usually bring in his own scheme? That doesn't seem to be the case with the Texans. It always seems to be the same with maybe some tweaks. On the offensive side it sure hasn't mattered if it's OB, Godsey or Kelly. I don't remember Vrabel's scheme being much different, just hit with a bunch of injuries, and here we go promoting from within again, where the DC is going to be under that umbrella.

Oh, it makes sense. You just dont like what's being done.

BTW, I agree with you, BOB should've atleast interviewed potential DC's from other teams even if he didn't intend on hiring them. He might have learned some new ideas in those interviews. It never hurts to learn new things.

Weaver will bring in some Rex Ryan schemes, that is his man more than RAC. I don't think Kubiak or BOB fingerprint the defense that much, so yes, I expect more aggression. Thus I expect some man to man cover CB activity in the offseason. Roby or some free agent like Harris in Denver. Lonnie needs to grow up and get better. Conley serviceable. Need some heat via impact players and scheme though or defense will get torched again

Dunn coming in will not preclude Reader. Texans seem to have a value they are willing to pay and will pay their type of guys, Reader is one. I think he can price himself out, but I think we get him back

You guys are so transparent. Would be interesting to see how Much you guys would read into BoB’s statements or how literal Ya’ll would take them if he approached his press conferences like Bill Parcells/Tom Coughlin and lobbed the criticism at the players instead of taking all the heat for his players like be routinely does.

If he lobbed criticism in his post game presser at DW4 for missing those wide open deep throws in the Carolina game...or those horrible picks in the Tennessee game, u guys wouldn’t be trying to hear it even though it’d be the truth, ya’ll would still be on the **** ya’ll are on now.

Personally I wouldn’t give two shits if he went to the podium and shot Cheerios out of his ass. I really don’t care about what he does or doesn’t say so that’s not my issue with him. In fact, I actually prefer him to keep close vested rather than be an open book as you’ve suggested.

I have a problem with him being a bad coach. I have a bigger problem with him having full control of how this team is run from every personnel decision down to who is boss is.

Anthony weaver from what I read and have heard has the potential to be a great DC, but with Romeo getting a “promotion” who’s to say that anything would actually change instead of who is the fall guy/yes man. In my opinion, we could bring in the best and brightest football minds and at the end of the day OB will have the final word

Usually, yes. In our case, doubtful. I don’t see anyone coming in and making changes. It’s the same reason Tim Kelly got promoted to OC. Ppl act like he was a great candidate and try to spin it to make themselves feel better but the fact of the matter is he has no business running an NFL offense. His playing career was a D2 defensive lineman and his coaching career was on that side of the ball too. I mean I wouldn’t go to Andre Johnson and ask him to coach linebackes. It’s pop Warner bullshit and it’s just a fall guy/yes man.

In my opinion I don’t see much changing under weaver. RAC is going to be behind the scenes implementing the same scheme and weaver will simply be another puppet with a title in this organization. He’ll leave after the year and probably will flourish with another team that doesn’t want to micromanage every aspect of its organization

That was a total team meltdown.

The defense wasn't as bad as it looked, they didn't have anybody to cover Kelce since Gipson/Addae were hurt. I'm excited about Weaver (Not sure why) and hope he gets the talent he needs to be successful.

Those kinds of meltdowns don’t happen to well coaches football teams. There wasn’t any adjustments made on either side of the ball and critical decisions that could’ve put a nail in the coffin tipped the momentum to their side and gave them enough life to ignite a comeback

Those kinds of meltdowns don’t happen to well coaches football teams. There wasn’t any adjustments made on either side of the ball and critical decisions that could’ve put a nail in the coffin tipped the momentum to their side and gave them enough life to ignite a comeback

I agree with you they should've al been fired for 51-7. But it's also time to put blame on the players too. You or I could've been coaching and 51-7 should've never happened if the players had pride. Instead they gave up, which is why I would've fired BOB after 51-7. Never give up and bring in new players that would never allow 51-7 because of their pride.

Back