Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2018 TRAINING CAMP

I’m starting to get skittle nervous about Justin Reid. Why has there been absolutely ZERO tall about him throughout training camp so far? Did he get injured before training camp or something? If so, I must have missed the news.

I’m starting to get skittle nervous about Justin Reid. Why has there been absolutely ZERO tall about him throughout training camp so far? Did he get injured before training camp or something? If so, I must have missed the news.

Not sure if it means much but he’s listed as co starter with Kareem at safety on the depth chart. Probably means he’s doing ok.

And look at it this way...last off season all we heard was how great savage looked and how Watson looked like a rookie, was bailing too early and looked inferior to Savage...

And well...we know how that turned out

Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL
https://twitter.com/AaronWilson_NFL/status/1025789966369128448

Texans WR Braxton Miller dropped a potential touchdown in corner of the end zone on a well-thrown pass he tried to one-hand it. Arrow has mostly been pointing up, though, for Miller at camp with a lot of progress made by former college quarterback

12:06 PM - Aug 4, 2018

• Deshaun Watson continues to be in charge
    • He threw the ball well in the rain, and was in constant command at the LOS in each of the situations. The offense walked through several end of game goal-line situations, and then executed vs the 1st team defense. Deshaun and Hopkins connected for a pretty corner route in the back of the end zone, beating Kareem Jackson, just as they had walked through minutes before. Was great to see the practice pay off at full speed.
    • During one play, Alfred Blue did not take the handoff on the right side, instead veering left. BOB and Deshaun called the play dead and Deshaun’s leadership was on display as he communicated with Alfred to make sure things were good for the next play. A small thing, for sure, but speaks to the comfort level and confidence the Texans finally have at the QB position.
  • Rookie TEs continue to be thrown into the fire
    • Jordan Thomas (6th round) and Jordan Akins (3rd round) continue to get prominent snaps, with Thomas starting to play in the role CJ Fiedorowicz as an inline blocker and pass-catching TE. Thomas’ size, mobility have already stood out in pass-catching drills, and BOB has alluded to his growing ability as a blocker. If he can grow in that role, Texans might have found themselves a gem late in the draft. In the red zone situations practiced today, it was evident that Deshaun trusts Thomas a big target, and given the gravity of Hopkins, Fuller, and Lamar, the Texans now could have one more mismatch to use.
  • Young linemen continue to improve
    • 3rd year NT D.J. Reader has already drawn praises from coaches for his current shape and ability to anchor in the run game, but his movement skills have surprised, even in team drills. If he continues to grow, he could be in for a big year.
    • 2nd year OT Julién Davenport has entrenched himself at the LT position – he’s shown steadiness there in pass blocking drills and understanding the play call. More to evaluated against real opponents, but his overall physicality, technique have continued to improve each day. There hasn’t been a situation in my two days where he’s looked overmatched, unsure, or overwhelmed.
    • Sammie Coates continues to catch everything thrown his way – much was made of his inconsistency catching the ball prior to arriving in Houston, but given his size (6’1, 210), he is able to present a big target for QBs on the perimeter. With the battle at WR after Hopkins, Fuller, Coutee, and Ellington wide open, Coates has a real opportunity to make the roster, especially with his prior special teams experience.
    • Corey Moore and Johnson Bademosi (go Stanford!) teamed up for some great coverage in red-zone drills, blanketing the second unit offense and Moore picking off Weeden. The two have already been praised for their steady work and its evident that they are starting to work together as a unit. Their progress is important as the Texans build depth in their secondary.
    • Whitney Mercilus, Zach Cunningham, and Benardrick McKinney got some separate work as a starting trio on linebacker cover drills, working on communication vs different play calls, with RAC overseeing. Was evident that shoring up the middle of the field with seamless communication is a priority for the defense, and those three are working hard to build chemistry in coverage.
    • Tyrann Mathieu and Aaron Colvin have fit right in as veteran leaders. Along with Kareem Jackson, Jonathan Joseph, and Kevin Johnson, the crew is constantly talking to each other about how to improve, etc. Given the versatility with which the Texans hope to play defense, their growth will be something to monitor going forward.

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blo...-day-eight-from-houston-texans-training-camp/

@sarahbarshop 8m8 minutes ago
It may not be the first preseason game, but J.J. Watt said he hopes to play in at least one to get a couple of live reps: "It doesn’t need to be a lot but I think it’s important to at least see some live bullets before you go out there and have some guys flying at you for real.”

@sarahbarshop 5m5 minutes ago
Bill O'Brien said Jadeveon Clowney is still working to get back into football shape: "When we feel like he’s in football shape, we’ll put him on the field." Clowney has participated in some team drills, but spends most of practice working on the side.

@sarahbarshop 4m4 minutes ago
DE coach Anthony Weaver did say that the plan with Clowney is "to get him as physically strong as we can just so hopefully we can avoid some of those injuries he’s had in the past that have nagged him throughout the season."

@AaronWilson_NFL: No time table for Jadeveon Clowney to be full-go in practice, but Bill O'Brien says it's going well. Didn't practice in offseason after knee scope 'Good. He’s working, trying to work back to football shape. When we feel like he’s in football shape, we’ll put him on the field.'

Aaron Wilson@AaronWilson_NFL

Texans WR Braxton Miller dropped a potential touchdown in corner of the end zone on a well-thrown pass he tried to one-hand it. Arrow has mostly been pointing up, though, for Miller at camp with a lot of progress made by former college quarterback

12:06 PM - Aug 4, 2018

http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blo...-day-eight-from-houston-texans-training-camp/

Jordan Thomas was drafted 3 rounds after Akins, but everytime I hear or read about the 2, Jordan Thomas is always talked about or complimented first. I hope we really found a diamond in the rough here.

Last edited:
The real question should be if he can avoid a concussion unlike Fido and Griffin.

Doesn't every NFL player face that? After you get your first serious concussion, you're susceptible to getting another one. Hopefully he'll be lucky (which plays a big part) enough to avoid all of that.

Reactions: JB
When you are in the box to reply, at the top is an icon that looks like film, click it and put the address in the box.
While we wait and see what becomes of Foreman we could've drafted someone...anyone who brings the only dimension of the position that Miller brings..which is speed. If we didn't want to wait on Foreman, FA wise, Carlos Hyde was out there...Dion Lewis was out there too.

To me Miller's just not instinctive enough. He knows where a play is supposed to go & short of the play developing exactly how it's drawn up in the playbook, he rarely can adjust on the fly and make something out of nothing. That might not be too bad if he was a guy that finished runs and made defenders loathe to tackle him...but he doesn't do that either...Goes down on 1st contact too often.
this may be why Miller still on roster:
2017 16 games 36 receptions for 327 yards @ 9.08 per. with 3 TDs 295 yards after catch. IMO we will see two major changes with TEs being more receivers than inline blockers. RBs in misdirection plays and quick dumps to protect #4. This is where Miller should take advantage of his speed.. if he still has any.

Early in training camp, you can't help but note Miller has trimmed down from his usual weight of 220 pounds. Currently at 218, Miller is at his lowest weight since he arrived in Houston in 2016, a season in which he rushed for 1,073 yards and five touchdowns on a career-high 268 carries.

Miller hopes the weight loss provides a pop to his running attack.

"I try to come in with a different mind set; whole mind set coming in was to lose weight," Miller said. "I wanted to get back to my playing weight with the Dolphins which was 218. Right now I've been around there and want to get back to making big plays."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cl...xans-lamar-miller-ready-to-run-with-the-bulls
Don't let 'em get to you K'Dog I get pretty excited when I lose two pounds also! I must be open here by stating I am at this moment eating chocolate cake but hey it's the thought that counts and I still have potential.

some thoughts: 5th round D J Reader is going to make Wilfork proud. Dang we could actually get two decent TEs out of this last draft; still early but exciting. The wording on Davenport is what I've been saying about him since he came aboard as a 4th rounder; he learns every snap and corrects his mistakes often in the game. I really like Bademosi--at corner; sure his ST play is what many will focus on but when he stepped in to replace the starter he did well. My hope for Sammie Coates was in Watson making him catch passes by putting in his bread basket. Watsons area of high percentage receptions should make Coates a very good pick up. I still don't get squiggly feelings about Braxton Miller but would like to be wrong. We may have to cut some quality at WR...if we could only exchange it somehow for a running back.

I've given up on Braxton Miller and think he'll be cut this year; especially if Coats keeps catching the ball well. Maybe we can move him in a trade but I'm not sure what the market is like for a oft-injured WR convert that doesn't catch the ball well. He's a poor man's Terrelle Pryor right now.

some thoughts: 5th round D J Reader is going to make Wilfork proud. Dang we could actually get two decent TEs out of this last draft; still early but exciting. The wording on Davenport is what I've been saying about him since he came aboard as a 4th rounder; he learns every snap and corrects his mistakes often in the game. I really like Bademosi--at corner; sure his ST play is what many will focus on but when he stepped in to replace the starter he did well. My hope for Sammie Coates was in Watson making him catch passes by putting in his bread basket. Watsons area of high percentage receptions should make Coates a very good pick up. I still don't get squiggly feelings about Braxton Miller but would like to be wrong. We may have to cut some quality at WR...if we could only exchange it somehow for a running back.

Coates is just camp fodder & a longshot to make the team imo. He only does 1 thing & his stats and journeyman status indicate that he's not that much better at that 1 thing than Braxton Miller is. I still think that BoB and co. are intrigued by Braxton's tools and how he can be utilized all over the offense and ST b/c when he's been given the chance he balls out. He just has to stay healthy. The odd guy out imo might be Ellington.

Last edited:
Coates is just camp fodder & a longshot to make the team imo. He only does 1 thing & his stats and journeyman status indicate that he's not that much better at that 1 thing than Braxton Miller is. I still think that BoB and co. are intrigued by Braxton's tools and how he can be utilized all over the offense and ST b/c when he's been given the chance he balls out. He just has to stay healthy.

Coates provides 2 things Miller doesn't.

1. ST's and with Sealy as ST's hired gun you would have to think this would carry weight.
2. Speed, Coates had surgery on his fingers last yr so hopefully he will get better at catching the ball.

Coates provides 2 things Miller doesn't.

1. ST's and with Sealy as ST's hired gun you would have to think this would carry weight.
2. Speed, Coates had surgery on his fingers last yr so hopefully he will get better at catching the ball.

1. Braxton is just as valuable, if not more valuable in ST
2. Coates isn't that much faster than Braxton
3. According to the depth chart, Braxton is WFV's back up, currently they have Coates battling with Ellington as Nuk's back up for the WR 1 position.

He's going to be a 6th round steal. The big question mark was if he could learn to block, and he's already answering that.

He's improving but until he adds more muscle, he can only improve his technique.

He only did 16 reps of 225 at the Combine which for a 265 pound player that isn't very good. He's a physical specimen but man what a year of lifting in a professional atmosphere can do for some of these rookies coming out of college.

Just through weight training he can improve his 27 inch vertical and his 16 bench press reps.

He's improving but until he adds more muscle, he can only improve his technique.

He only did 16 reps of 225 at the Combine which for a 265 pound player that isn't very good. He's a physical specimen but man what a year of lifting in a professional atmosphere can do for some of these rookies coming out of college.

Just through weight training he can improve his 27 inch vertical and his 16 bench press reps.

I would chalk up part of his issue with bench being long arms and maybe a technique issue. But that vertical number is pretty bad for an NFL TE. Hopefully he just needs our stud S&C coach.

Matt Wyatt@RadioWyatt
https://twitter.com/RadioWyatt/status/1026862822565851136

. @jharrisfootball : “Jordan Thomas is a virtual lock to make this team.” #Texans

11:09 AM - Aug 7, 2018

However, in the four practices I saw while in West Virginia last week, there were a few players with whom I have a newfound football love. A couple of them are probably locks to make the team, a couple are battling for a spot, and one is a coach. So without further ado, here are five "camp crushes" i came way with from my time at Texans training camp last week:

5. SEANTRELHENDERSON, OL
There is not doubt that, on a side of the football full of unproven commodities, the most unproven area of the offense is the tackle position. Left tackle Julien Davenport has two starts to his name, and right tackle Henderson has spent more game time suspended over the last year than he’s spent actually playing. If Henderson were to make it truly all the way back from Crohn’s disease nearly ending his career, it would be remarkable. The former No. 1 high school player in the country is a mountain of man who has given J.J. Watt a solid sparring partner in drills so far. I am more optimistic about the right tackle spot now than I was before the start of camp.

4. JORDANTHOMAS, TE
Of the many, many tight ends that the team has in camp, Thomas is the one that passes the "eye test" most easily. Like Henderson at tackle, Thomas is a massive individual, a 280 pound beast. Thomas catches the ball very fluidly for a man of his size, which shouldn’t be a huge surprise considering he started his career as a wide receiver at Mississippi State. As a sixth round pick, Thomas is likely to make the team and might make an even bigger impact than his fellow rookie tight end, third round pick Jordan Akins.

3. BRADSEELY, ST coach
It’s no secret that the Texans’ special teams, over the course of O’Brien’s time as head coach (and really predating his arrival by a couple years, as well), have been the absolute worst in the league. They get nothing out of the return game, and the kick coverage has been a sea of poor tackling and dumb penalties. Honestly, if it weren’t for Shane Lechler’s punting and Jon Weeks’ perfect long snapping, there would be literally nothing to discuss positively on special teams. However, this offseason, the team not only invested in some better special teams personnel, but they also brought in Seely from Oakland. A 30 year veteran of the NFL coaching game, Seely runs a tight practice, to the extent that you can clearly see and feel the teaching that’s going on during the special teams portions of practice.

https://t.co/BTcWw371a0

I dunno for sure but think that Kareem has a petty healthy cap number and with the Texans adding talent thru both the Draft and FA this past offseason to the defensive backfield
I don't think there's any guarantees for Kareem staying on the roster.

If this rumor gains any real traction.....I'd be interested in a trade possibility. On an ESPN NFL story, they were forecasting players who could be cut during camp. One really interested me: Redskins RB, Samaje Perine could be the odd man out in their new RB rotation that features Guice, Thompson and Kelly, with Bibbs possibly being the 4th RB and 3rd down back.

If this rumor has any traction, the Redskins would probably favor any kind of deal versus an outright release. I could see KJax being an interesting piece for their defensive backfield. Maybe Gaine could squeeze them for a RD6 conditional pick as well.

I liked Perine in the draft and he could be a nice addition to the RB group here based on Foreman sitting for this season and properly healing his injury before coming back in 2019. Also, could be a nice 1-2 punch in 2019.

This could be another option in possibly contacting the Redskins about Perine.

Last edited:
I would chalk up part of his issue with bench being long arms and maybe a technique issue. But that vertical number is pretty bad for an NFL TE. Hopefully he just needs our stud S&C coach.
Although I wouldn't make too much of this at this time, Gesicki and Goedert have essentially the same arm length and they benched 22 and 23 reps, respectively.

And has Thomas actually increased his weight by ~15 lbs since the Combine?

Coates is just camp fodder & a longshot to make the team imo. He only does 1 thing & his stats and journeyman status indicate that he's not that much better at that 1 thing than Braxton Miller is. I still think that BoB and co. are intrigued by Braxton's tools and how he can be utilized all over the offense and ST b/c when he's been given the chance he balls out. He just has to stay healthy. The odd guy out imo might be Ellington.[/after Hopkins and Fuller anything can happen.

Coates is just camp fodder & a longshot to make the team imo. He only does 1 thing & his stats and journeyman status indicate that he's not that much better at that 1 thing than Braxton Miller is. I still think that BoB and co. are intrigued by Braxton's tools and how he can be utilized all over the offense and ST b/c when he's been given the chance he balls out. He just has to stay healthy. The odd guy out imo might be Ellington.[/
after Hopkins and Fuller anything can happen.

I could see KJ being traded for "right deal" but his cap cost [remaining on roster] has no effect as we have mucho space. He can play corner and safety so ---Joseph, K John and Colvin but safety depth not proven to go with so far. I doubt he will be traded especially as his $6.5 m salary + $250,000 roster becomes guaranteed day one regular season. That's not huge for a starting corner but he's 30.5 Oct 10 th.

I don't see KJ going anywhere, seems even less likely with Hal being on the shelf (God speed Andre).

From what I hear, both Coates and Braxton Miller have made great strides and both are making a push for a roster spot.

There is a lot of competition past the top two guys. This may be the deepest and best group of WR's they have had.

I hate to see Coutee injured but wondering if that might give them an excuse to red shirt him this year and let him sit and watch and learn.

The good news is that outside of Coutee, there wasn't any significant injury at the Greenbriar. And even his isn't bad - it's just with the depth on this team.....???

Anyway, please keep it up Football Gods!

Includes some very complimentary quotes by Watt.

Texans DL coach Anthony Weaver on D.J. Reader: 'He's like a tree trunk'
Published 10:30 am CDT, Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Texans nose tackle D.J. Reader is constantly tasked with dirty work.

It's Reader's job to clog up the middle of the Texans' defense, occupying blocker so others can make the tackle.

He makes more than his share of plays on his own, though.

And Reader is extremely tough to budge inside.

"D.J. is an absolute stud," Texans defensive line coach Anthony Weaver said. "A lot of the work he does, it just goes unnoticed. We notice it in the film room, the guys appreciate what he does. He’s like a tree trunk out there, and you’re not moving him. He also has some pass rush game, which I think we neglect to talk about and goes unnoticed so often. But, I love D.J. and I’m happy he’s here.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

It's Reader's job to clog up the middle of the Texans' defense, occupying blocker so others can make the tackle.

"D.J. is an absolute stud," Texans defensive line coach Anthony Weaver said. "A lot of the work he does, it just goes unnoticed. We notice it in the film room, the guys appreciate what he does. He’s like a tree trunk out there, and you’re not moving him. He also has some pass rush game, which I think we neglect to talk about and goes unnoticed so often. But, I love D.J. and I’m happy he’s here.”
THE REST OF THE STORY

Was Anthony Weaver the Ninja for us? Am I thinking of the same player?

THE REST OF THE STORY

DJ is an amazing specimen .

BwIkISKIEAAvUy3.jpg

Ok. I was looking at him on Wikipedia and thought Smith was still playing and hadn’t been coaching that long. But I kept thinking the Ninja was Antonio Bryant. Way off.

We haven't heard anything but :cricket::cricket:regarding the STs. Although, something interesting that is going on is...............Webb is playing on STs. Makes me think . that the Texans are trying to find a way to maintain 3 QBs. If so, makes me believer that they may be concerned about Watson's ability to make it through the season.

We haven't heard anything but :cricket::cricket:regarding the STs. Although, something interesting that is going on is...............Webb is playing on STs. Makes me think . that the Texans are trying to find a way to maintain 3 QBs. If so, makes me believer that they may be concerned about Watson's ability to make it through the season.

I think it has more to do with the number of QBs we have been through the years because of injury. You only get to third string if the starter AND second string are injured. Which has happened way too many times in recent years to the Texans.

He is closer in skill set than Weeden. He may be groomed to be the future number two after learning the system.

Plus having a third string that can contribute on special teams is a huge benefit.

Back