Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2018 TRAINING CAMP

Blue's not a break away back .....but neither is Miller from what I've seen of him in his 2 years here despite him having the decided speed advantage.

Blue runs harder and tougher and has slightly better vision. So i don't mind him at all competing with Miller; I thought Miller should've been released in the offeseason.

Blue's not a break away back .....but neither is Miller from what I've seen of him in his 2 years here despite him having the decided speed advantage.

Blue runs harder and tougher and has slightly better vision. So i don't mind him at all competing with Miller; I thought Miller should've been released in the offeseason.
Who do you replace Miller with? I think Miller will be much improved with his weight back to where it was in Miami. I also think Miller would benefit from having fewer carries. The Texans would be better served using Blue (or Foreman if he recovers from his Achilles injury) as a 1st and sometimes 2nd down back and use Miller as a sometimes 2nd and 3rd down back. Miller needs to be used as something other than a between the tackles RB. It's just not his forte.

Who do you replace Miller with? I think Miller will be much improved with his weight back to where it was in Miami. I also think Miller would benefit from having fewer carries. The Texans would be better served using Blue (or Foreman if he recovers from his Achilles injury) as a 1st and sometimes 2nd down back and use Miller as a sometimes 2nd and 3rd down back. Miller needs to be used as something other than a between the tackles RB. It's just not his forte.

While we wait and see what becomes of Foreman we could've drafted someone...anyone who brings the only dimension of the position that Miller brings..which is speed. If we didn't want to wait on Foreman, FA wise, Carlos Hyde was out there...Dion Lewis was out there too.

To me Miller's just not instinctive enough. He knows where a play is supposed to go & short of the play developing exactly how it's drawn up in the playbook, he rarely can adjust on the fly and make something out of nothing. That might not be too bad if he was a guy that finished runs and made defenders loathe to tackle him...but he doesn't do that either...Goes down on 1st contact too often.

Last season Blue showed a lot of progress. He was showing great patience and hitting the hole when it opened up. Years past he was doing exactly what you mentioned but not last season.

So much progress he averaged half a yard less per carry. Looked like the same ol' Blue to me. Should have tried just about any FA out instead.

Last season Blue showed a lot of progress. He was showing great patience and hitting the hole when it opened up. Years past he was doing exactly what you mentioned but not last season.

I agree. The ironic thing is that what he's saying sounds exactly like what i've seen from Miller more often than not. I myself am about 80% confident that we convert on at least 1 of those critical 2nd & 3, 3rd & 1 & 3rd & 4 scenarios we faced in the critical points of the NE and SEA games if we hand the ball to Blue instead of Miller; & i'm basing that off nothing more than his tougher running style over Miller's. Miller's simply not going to push the pile and he's not a back that's going to do much after 1st contact.

Regardless of how you feel about the lat game playcalling of BoB..b/c we all know what we would've liked to see him call/do.

So much progress he averaged half a yard less per carry. Looked like the same ol' Blue to me. Should have tried just about any FA out instead.

the difference is that one guy has gotten the lionshare of the touches & starts and still has barely been able to average 65 ypg over 2 years regardless of who was under center and who was blocking for him. if that's about all we can expect from Miller may as well go with Blue since he damn near gave us what Miller did last year in his 2nd season in less touches. As it was The lone 100 rushing game for the 2017 season we had came from Blue and he only played in 1/2 our games last year...Miller didn't come close to a 100 yd game.

Early in training camp, you can't help but note Miller has trimmed down from his usual weight of 220 pounds. Currently at 218, Miller is at his lowest weight since he arrived in Houston in 2016, a season in which he rushed for 1,073 yards and five touchdowns on a career-high 268 carries.

Miller hopes the weight loss provides a pop to his running attack.

"I try to come in with a different mind set; whole mind set coming in was to lose weight," Miller said. "I wanted to get back to my playing weight with the Dolphins which was 218. Right now I've been around there and want to get back to making big plays."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cl...xans-lamar-miller-ready-to-run-with-the-bulls

Early in training camp, you can't help but note Miller has trimmed down from his usual weight of 220 pounds. Currently at 218, Miller is at his lowest weight since he arrived in Houston in 2016, a season in which he rushed for 1,073 yards and five touchdowns on a career-high 268 carries.

Miller hopes the weight loss provides a pop to his running attack.

"I try to come in with a different mind set; whole mind set coming in was to lose weight," Miller said. "I wanted to get back to my playing weight with the Dolphins which was 218. Right now I've been around there and want to get back to making big plays."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cl...xans-lamar-miller-ready-to-run-with-the-bulls

Wait, whaaa? "you can't help but note Miller has trimmed down from his usual weight of 220 pounds. Currently at 218".

So they're saying that you can't help but note that he has trimmed down two pounds??? JJ Watt has eaten burritos bigger than that.

Last edited:
This was my fear when Blue was brought back. People said “it’s not a big money contract, who cares?”

Well, I didn’t want OB to lean on him again in lieu of other options that were available.
Blue has one asset: sure hands. He seldom fumbles the ball, so he's of some value when killing the clock.

Either Seantrel Henderson is very legit or JJ Watt is a shell of the player he use to be. Not sure how I feel about this...

The Harris Hurryup: August begins at #TexansCamp
Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 05:45 PM

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/the-harris-hurryup-august-begins-at-texanscamp

-- Tackle Seantrel Henderson versus defensive end J.J. Watt during run drills is worth the price of admission, trust me on that.

The homer in me is hoping the former is true... The voice in my head that I tell to shut the hell up suspects the latter. It's difficult for me to believe his string of injuries over the past seasons, given what they are, will allow JJ to be the player he used to be. I can easily underestimate the physical and mental aspects that could allow it, but there's a string in my gut that gets plucked every once in a while that suggests moving forward, JJ will likely be one of the better players in the league at his position opposed to the clear cut best. And that's hopeful thinking on that sour note.

On the flip side, this article isn't necessarily speaking to a concept of JJ being ordinary. I'm hoping JJ is pacing his intensity in training camp in a sense of not going from 0 to 60 in the first weeks of camp. Without a doubt, JJ's gotta be the as anticipated and watched a player on the team as Watson when it comes to seeing what comes out of the off season rehabs. I doubt either will be pushing it out the gate.

Either Seantrel Henderson is very legit or JJ Watt is a shell of the player he use to be. Not sure how I feel about this...

The Harris Hurryup: August begins at #TexansCamp
Wednesday, Aug 01, 2018 05:45 PM

https://www.houstontexans.com/news/the-harris-hurryup-august-begins-at-texanscamp

-- Tackle Seantrel Henderson versus defensive end J.J. Watt during run drills is worth the price of admission, trust me on that.

Seth Payne just mentioned this on 610. Said don’t read too much into it. These types of drills favor OL and in a live game situation DL will be more likely to split the gap or go to the ground to cause a pile up. Whereas in this scenario they take on the OL straight up (which they rarely do in a live game situation).

Seth Payne just mentioned this on 610. Said don’t read too much into it. These types of drills favor OL and in a live game situation DL will be more likely to split the gap or go to the ground to cause a pile up. Whereas in this scenario they take on the OL straight up (which they rarely do in a live game situation).

Bwhahaha Harris's usual hype. The first day in pads I think he was saying JJ was back to his usual dominant self.

I hammered them on Facebook for this gem.
In one-on-ones against the linebackers/safeties, tight end Ryan Griffin showed why he’s such a tough guy to cover. His understanding of route running gets him open and he proved that often against the safeties for a couple of catches.
It's a shame the rest of the league doesn't find him so hard to cover.

People forget that as a 3-4 DE, JJ wasn't supposed to be amassing the type of numbers he was from 2012-2015; Bruce Smith not withstanding, you rarely have seen the type of dominance from that position that JJ displayed . So if he's taken a step back from the demigod status he was at to just a very good DE, he'll still likely be a force that will command attention. So i'm not too worried really. JJ's been down for a few years and is likely taking it easy in TC.

I always felt that the D-line had the advantage in one on one situations.
In a real game they don't know the play, in a one on one they know exactly what you're going to do.
In a real game you will likely have some form of help...A chip...a double...A hand out to just nudge the guy...

But of course that's coming from a offensive lineman's perspective...

Last edited:

The weather report said rain all day, but it held off until the afternoon, thankfully. As such, the Texans were able to get in a full pads practice on Wednesday. Here’s the Harris Hurry-up from day six of training camp.

-- Outside linebacker Brennan Scarlett may have had one of the top five plays to this point in camp. During team drills, from his outside spot, he read a quick throw to his left, leapt up and snagged the pass and headed for six. The defense, justifiably, erupted in joy as the third year player from Stanford sauntered into the end zone.

-- Cornerback Kevin Johnson continues to play well during this camp. One of the best battles of camp is watching receiver Will Fuller V against Johnson. Those two have gone at it, each and every day, every rep.

-- Johnson’s transitional quickness is so evident breaking on the ball, but it has to be against Fuller because his route running is fantastic.

-- The outside linebacker position is deeper than it might appear at first glance. One of the guys I really like watching is LaTroy Lewis, who made a significant name for himself last year in Oakland Raiders camp. He’s one strong dude, playing the run with power and rushing the quarterback well too.

-- During the one-on-one run game period, Lewis knocked one of the tight ends straight on his wallet. I’ve never seen that in that period, perhaps ever.

-- It’s remarkable, in some sense, how far Whitney Mercilus has come playing the run. His technique, recognition and hand strength are evident and allow him to set the edge well regularly.

-- In one-on-ones against the linebackers/safeties, tight end Ryan Griffin showed why he’s such a tough guy to cover. His understanding of route running gets him open and he proved that often against the safeties for a couple of catches.

Running back Troymaine Pope made one heck of a catch down the field during one-on-ones. With a linebacker draped on him, Pope made an over the shoulder catch for a touchdown that was just gorgeous.

-- Tight end MyCole Pruitt had a safety attached to his hip yet still made a tremendous catch for a touchdown during one-on-one drills against the safeties.

-- Rookie safety Justin Reid had a pass breakup on the final play of the one-on-one drill as he covered fellow rookie Jordan Akins. Reid had to stay with Akins all the way across the field on a deep crossing route. It’s not a route that safeties like to cover, nor are they successful doing it. Yet, Reid handled it beautifully.

-- One of the toughest parts of training camp for any offense is the familiarity the defense has with what the offense does regularly. Case in point, in team drills, linebacker Dylan Cole recognized a formation just prior to the snap during a team drill. He pointed to the spot where he knew the ball was going and ran right to the spot to help on the tackle.

-- Now, it does go both ways, but defenses are more apt to take advantage at this point in training camp. It’s not cheating, but if it helped me get an “attaboy” from the coaches, I was all about it. Offenses didn’t like it much, though, and still don’t.

-- One of my favorite plays on the day didn’t seem like much on the surface until I drilled down a little further. Quarterback Brandon Weeden had his unit at the line of scrimmage, ready for the snap. Just prior to, he sent a guy in motion to the other side of the field. When he did the defense shifted and rookie safety Justin Reid showed as if he were going to rush the edge. Before the ball was snapped, Weeden noticed it. He checked the protection and made sure that Reid was accounted for if he did blitz. He did and the O Line picked it up allowing Weeden to make a clean throw.

-- The communication was just so impressive during that 20-25 second time frame on both sides. Very cool to watch and listen.

-- The best catch of the day was ruled a no catch. Rookie Jester Weah made an outstanding over the shoulder catch right in front of us, landing in bounds, in the end zone. But, with no officiating crew to accurately determine complete/incomplete, it was ruled incomplete...by the defensive staff. Figures, huh?

-- Late in practice, Deshaun Watson was really dealing, especially during seven-on-seven.

-- The Texans worked some situations late in practice and will probably do some more of that this week heading into the last few days at the Greenbrier.

More to come tomorrow...hopefully, the rain will hold off long enough to get more work done. See ya then, everyone.

I always felt that the D-line had the advantage in one on one situations.
In a real game they don't know the play, in a one on one they know exactly what you're going to do.
In a real game you will likely have some form of help...A chip...a double...A hand out to just nudge the guy...

But of course that's coming from a offensive lineman's perspective...

The DL on the radio claimed otherwise FWIW.

Sadly, Harris is about it for any real camp news with rare exceptions. I used to like his takes, but when he signed on to work for the Texans, he dove head first into the homer tank and hasn't come up for air yet. Johhny - you need help down there, cause you're drowning in kool-aid.

I don't take anything he says with anything other than large grains of salt.

Didn't he take it easy last training camp as well? Or was that the one he want hard because he was coming back from injury?

He went hard that training camp i believe; he was busting his ass b/c his 1st injury happened in the playoffs against KC and he only had the offseason to try to get ready for the season opener the following year. Coming back from this injury, he's had a large portion of last year's regular season plus the offseason.

@sarahbarshop: DC Romeo Crennel said J.J. Watt is “doing some things” in practice but “hasn’t been fully released yet.” “Like all guys who get injured, they have to knock the rust off and get back to feeling comfortable,” Crennel said.

@AaronWilson_NFL: Texans' DL coach on Jadeveon Clowney: 'Very limited, but looks great' https://t.co/lYATTAJcUS via @HoustonChron

Well I guess it's a start, that's good. This is just the longest recovery of a "clean up" I've ever seen.. I mean Brian McCann a 34 yo catcher (one of the most gruelling positions in sports on the knees) had a clean up at the beginning of July and is expected back in September, but hey.. At least Clowney is finally out there even if limited.

Last edited:
Back