Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2018 TRAINING CAMP

Aaron Wilson‏@AaronWilson_NFL 8m8 minutes ago

Texans safety Andre Hal at practice

DkfLfwZUcAEU5Eb.jpg

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 37m37 minutes ago

Former Colts head coach Chuck Pagano is out at practice today. #Texans

Chuck Pagano is decked out in #Texans gear. He is chopping it up with Bill O’Brien. Pagano’s brother John is the Senior Defensive Assistant and Outside linebacker coach for the Texans.

Really like having his brother added to the staff. Season pass rushing coach brings a lot of experience and maybe he’ll be the one to finally add to clowney’s arsenal like Vrabel did with Mercilus.

patrick‏Verified account@PatDStat 2h2 hours ago

JJ Watt looks spry today. Active off the edge. #Texans

CB Josh Thornton and Andre Chachere with nice pass breakups in team work.

#Texans defense giving Deshaun Watson and the offense fits. Cunningham and Jackson both had near INTs.

Mathieu ends the Watson’s offensive group with tight coverage. Forces a bad pass. #Texans

Brandon Weeden carving up the second defense. Hits Jester Weah for the touchdown. #Texans

Seeing Joe Webb running to special team drills and quarterback work is great. Like small school football.

Seantrel Henderson just stoned JJ Watt in 1 on 1 pass rush drills

Duke Ojiofor using his dip move to get the corner. Such good bend to stay low off the corner

Sammie Coates having a strong day. Past two practices putting together good film for the coaches

Brandon Weeden just threw a dime to MyCole Pruitt in the back of the endzone. Weeden is lining up to be the backup to Watson for the season

fans at the end of last year " we must resign JDC he's part of the future "

fans this year " JDC is such a bum, I wouldnt pay him the minimum until he shows me 5 straight all pro seasons "

Texans fans in a nutshell.

:kubepalm:

Cody Stoots

✔@Cody_Stoots

https://twitter.com/Cody_Stoots/status/1029068992122630149

What led to Bill O'Brien being displeased with his team today? Read my 11 observations from #Texans training camp on @sportsmaphou and find out: https://houston.sportsmap.com/cody-stoots-11-observations-from-texans-training-camp-monday-aug-13/ …

1:15 PM - Aug 13, 2018

1. The defense were the big winners today in team drills. The offense never really got anything going on a consistent basis having just small spurts of success. Bill O’Brien was not happy after the practice and said they’d be working today to fix what happened in the morning session. When asked about why his team was sluggish O’Brien simply stated to ask the players about the sluggish play.

2. J.J. Watt would have sawed Deshaun Watson in half if it was a full live rep in team drills. Watt skirted around a mass of blockers and defensive players and slowed up just short of eliminating Watson. Instead, he held up his giant paws forcing Watson to alter his trajectory.

3. Tyrann Mathieu is so quick and description of his movements often lands on sleek. He fires through on blitzes and rarely sees himself far away from the ball when the play is headed his way. His versatility from the safety spot will give the defense a fun chess piece to play with.

4. The inside linebacker trio of Benardrick McKinney, Zach Cunningham, and Dylan Cole is an absolute blast to watch play. This might be the most athletic the Texans have been at inside linebacker ever. Cunningham joked after the workout he almost came down with an interception off Deshaun Watson. Cole is sudden in his arrival to the play and squeaks through if offensive linemen aren’t careful with him.

5. Kareem Jackson is a veteran and despite newly being at safety he can still impart knowledge from his new position. He had a teaching moment with Cunningham on a play where he and the second-year linebacker got together after play with what looked like Jackson suggesting a different approach to the play to Cunningham. Watson nearly threw one to Cunnigham later in practice. Jackson looks natural at safety with Mathieu and Justin Reid.

6. The defense had a tough time catching Deshaun Watson today on his pocket movement. There were a few plays where Watson showed off his mobility in short pocket movements and flat our evasion of the rush. The plays didn’t often end up as big positives for the offense, but it was nice to see Watson move around with ease.

7. Watson has a unique ability to change his arm slot and complete passes. One play he ended up scrambling and fired a pass into the end zone in what looked like an unusual throw but it ended up getting where he needed it to be. This isn’t a habit as much as a tool for Watson. Traditional looking throws are as pretty as ever.

8. Jadeveon Clowney was…

9. Sammie Coates got a lot of work today. He is in an uphill battle to steal a wide receiver spot on the team but with rookie Keke Coutee out and Chris Thompson dealing with a concussion, Coates found himself running plenty of routes. He stands out among the wideouts as the most physically impressive. He made a diving catch on a broken play from Watson but had an end zone drop and was on the wrong page with the Texans QB once. With the potential to contribute on special teams, Coates may carve out a roster spot.

10. Duke Ejiofor and a few other players…

11…..

fans at the end of last year " we must resign JDC he's part of the future "

fans this year " JDC is such a bum, I wouldnt pay him the minimum until he shows me 5 straight all pro seasons "

Texans fans in a nutshell.

Complete hyperbole...literally no one here has said that.

The guy can't seem to get his knee healthy after a "minor scope" that he had at the end of LAST SEASON. Our old ass catcher on the Astros just had the same procedure and he's going to be back in lesser time than (25 yo) Clowney.. It's been almost 7 MONTHS NOW. Obviously that wasn't just a run of the mill knee scope. There's been rare cases where players have recovered from a complete ACL tear faster than that.

Any rational fan with a lick of sense would be wary about locking that guy up to a long term blockbuster deal, hell even our own F.O. closed negotiations with him given the ordeal with his knee, I guess they're fickle morons too?

Clowney has to come back and prove that he can play at a high level and that his knee is healthy if he wants a long term deal, even if he does that he still might get tagged now.

Last edited:
Sounds like the same old story with OB and Crennel.

Offense sucks, defense great

I'm not too worried about it, every year we have at least one "ass chewing" practice to get the players' attention and refocus them.

Also the defense should be ahead of the offense, I think that side of the ball can be elite this season (even if Clowney is slow to come back), there's team speed everywhere. :)

Now if we struggle against the 9ers defense, then I'll start to worry.

Last edited:
Houston Texans Training Camp: Troymaine Pope Knows There is More Work to Do
Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Houston Texans running back Troymaine Pope is currently in the vortex that young NFL players often find themselves in when they go undrafted. He has found himself bouncing around from team to team, hoping to be on a roster long enough to make his mark and put some work on film. Since arriving to the NFL in 2016, Pope has been with four different organizations after signing as a rookie free agent with the Seattle Seahawks in 2016 out of Jacksonville State.

Pope latched on with the Texans in 2017, signing with the practice squad and landing a futures/reserve deal with the team after last season. The shifty running back found a home that would outlast his previous stops.
“That was pretty big to me, you know, I always wanted to be in a system for the entire time,” Pope said of landing a deal with the Texans after the 2017 season. “If I could do that, then I could be at my best, I wouldn’t have to go out there and think a lot, just play fast and go out there and do what I know to do.”
The injury to D’Onta Foreman has opened the door for Pope to get more work on the field and, with the help of Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue, he has grown comfortable enough with the group to ask questions when needed. As to the guidance he has received from head coach Bill O’Brien, Pope likes how hard the man-in-charge coaches him on the field.

“He makes sure I am doing all the small details right,” Pope said of O’Brien. “That is the thing, you have to do all the small things to be great.”

It has been over half a year since Pope played in an actual NFL game prior to the Texans preseason opener against Kansas City. He knows there is work to do and more importantly, room to grow as a player so that he may reach his peak in this offense.

Pope has put work into learning the offense since last season, through the off-season heading to training camp. He has rewarded his coaching staff with solid film that is getting him extended looks with the offense. The Texans letting him grow in the system has produced positive results for both him and the team already.

“It is comfortable to be in the whole program, the whole offseason and going into training camp,” Pope explained. “I think that was my biggest thing, a learning thing. Going from team to team, coming into training camp, you missed a lot of information and knowledge on the offensive playbook. Then you have to play catch-up during training camp when everything is coming at you so fast.”

Although seeing him in just a small sample last Thrusday, these last statements make me believe the the Texans may have uncovered a buried talent...............buried because of circumstances.

Last edited:
Yeah, I am excited about Pope especially after watching him last Thursday. He could be a real jewel in the rough, especially with Donta Foreman injury

Well I think we're in the middle.

Training camp started 3 weeks ago and the open is a little over 3 weeks from now
I think you know what I meant. The D always starts quicker than the O. And the catchup is usually a relatively slow process up until the regular season. In fact, many teams don't have their O catch up until well into the first part of the season. With only 1 preseason game in the books, I personally would not consider that we've seen enough to conclude anything definitive about the O.......or the D. TC, with so many players (the roster now being so inflated) playing so little time so they can be given a chance to be evaluated, makes it very difficult to make valid conclusions regarding team or or even individual performances. That will only come after final cutdowns and subsequent complete regular season games.

Hopkins only participated in WR drills today. O'Brien said he is just managing player reps. I wonder if this is indeed true and there is no injury involved, he fully participates in the practices against the 49ers or not.

I think you know what I meant. The D always starts quicker than the O. And the catchup is usually a relatively slow process up until the regular season. In fact, many teams don't have their O catch up until well into the first part of the season. With only 1 preseason game in the books, I personally would not consider that we've seen enough to conclude anything definitive about the O.......or the D. TC, with so many players (the roster now being so inflated) playing so little time so they can be given a chance to be evaluated, makes it very difficult to make valid conclusions regarding team or or even individual performances. That will only come after final cutdowns and subsequent complete regular season games.

True fair enough. Just concerned given Obriens track record

I hope I am wrong but that is what I expect from JJ Watt from now on out against most offensive linemen. I don't think he will be even half of his normal self due to his previous injuries.

Theyve also reported he's gotten to the QB though.

Maybe at this point he has more quickness than strength (though pictures would indicate otherwise)

@PatDStat: Watt is working whomever lines up at right tackle. #Texans

Tweet from @PatDStat: Texans offense having another rough day. #Texans
I hope that has more to do with the Qb's and Wr's being off than it does the offensive line blocking poorly. I know this years D will be tough on almost everybody but still I hope the offenses problems are not a big part O line related and we hear more good news soon in regards to the overall offense.

Tweet from @PatDStat: Texans offense having another rough day. #Texans
I hope that has more to do with the Qb's and Wr's being off than it does the offensive line blocking poorly. I know this years D will be tough on almost everybody but still I hope the offenses problems are not a big part O line related and we hear more good news soon in regards to the overall offense.

O'Brien also revamped the offense in the off-season

Easiest thing to take from Texans this morning: Deshaun Watson looks like Deshaun Watson. No brace, moving easy, and throwing with accuracy.

— Albert Breer (@AlbertBreer) August 14, 2018

Lance Zierlein

✔@LanceZierlein

https://twitter.com/LanceZierlein/status/1029403531353108480

Extremely impressive showing by Deshaun Watson in redzone work throwing pinpoint strikes into tight quarters for TDs

11:25 AM - Aug 14, 2018

patrick

✔@PatDStat

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1029379461010124802

Zach Fulton moving some lineman out of the way. #Texans

9:49 AM - Aug 14, 2018

patrick

✔@PatDStat

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1029386723539804161

Watt is working whomever lines up at right tackle. #Texans

10:18 AM - Aug 14, 2018

patrick

✔@PatDStat

https://twitter.com/PatDStat/status/1029387150071091201

Braxton Miller wide open in the middle of the field. Weeden hits him in stride. #Texans

10:19 AM - Aug 14, 2018

Last year all we got was glowing reports of the line and Savage.

I take everything with a grain of salt and wait for the season to begin.

I am sure most are doing the same.

Cody Stoots

✔@Cody_Stoots

https://twitter.com/Cody_Stoots/status/1029467700781756416

With fights happening in training camp joint practices Bill O'Brien addressed how the #Texans will handle it. That and much more on @sportsmaphou from training camp today: https://houston.sportsmap.com/cody-stoots-11-observations-from-texans-training-camp-tuesday-aug-14/ …

3:40 PM - Aug 14, 2018

1. Bill O’Brien was much more pleased with today’s practice as opposed to the start of the week. He said he liked the way his guys competed against each other today. The offense struggled a little more early but late found some rhythm and success and ultimately the end zone. It would still be considered a defensive win for today though.

2. The Texans are managing reps for certain players this training camp. DeAndre Hopkins and Whitney Mercilus fall into that category. O’Brien mentioned it was a focus to manage the workload and to have them ready for the regular season. He noted there is still close to three weeks before the regular season and players fall into different levels of their reps.

3. Seantrell Henderson is "fine" according to O’Brien despite missing today. Kendall Lamm and Chad Slade are among the names competing for backup tackle snaps. Lamm had some wins today but the offensive line as a whole struggled at times during situational practicing.

4. Will Fuller had a huge day today. Deshaun Watson found him a few times for impressive plays. Fuller used a double move to escape Kevin Johnson in a one-on-one drill. He also pulled down a corner strike from Watson that required some impressive contortion to stay in bounds and bring it down. Fuller looks much more complete this year and the opportunity afforded him while Hopkins has his reps managed has paid off.

5. Kevin Johnson had a long day today. A few red zone drills saw Johnson bested by Sammie Coates and Vyncint Smith. Smith had to make a contested catch with Johnson being physical at the point of attack but he pulled it down eliciting loud praise from tight end Ryan Griffin. Coates outmaneuvered Johnson in the corner for a score. Both plays would be unlikely to happen if there was a pass rush but in this instance, the offense got the best of Johnson.

6. Sammie Coates is moving into the realm where it would be a surprise if he is cut by the Texans. He ran right by Johnathan Joseph in a drill displaying surprising burst and speed. He plays outside wide receiver and is likely competing with Braxton Miller on a near daily basis for the fifth wideout spot. Miller mentioned after practice he aims to listen to the coaches as he is asked to process a lot of information playing inside and outside for the offense.

7. Aaron Colvin is fun to watch in coverage. The intensity around him is impressive to see and he is focused in his approach. He had a great pass breakup in a drill against Bruce Ellington and he almost stalks wideouts the way he moves around before the snap. He will be a player to watch as the 49ers come to town tomorrow.

8. Christian Covington and J.J. Watt absolutely mauled the offense on one team play. In a totally live rep, the duo would’ve easily combined for a sack and their disruption was evident on quite a few plays. Covington looks completely healthy after ending the year on injured reserve last year. He seemed to be hitting his stride and having him back this year will strengthen a strong position group for the Texans. Angelo Blackson flashes in practice a lot as well.

9. Covington and Watt’s teammate D.J. Reader crashed Watt’s post-practice podium appearance joking around about Watt. Reader noted Watt is quite the Jeopardy player and Watt hates Reader’s dirty locker. He also mentioned Watt was the better soccer player of the two and better at shooting video games when they play, but Reader took the credit for besting Watt at sports video games. A lighthearted and fun moment post-practice. Watt said at the podium today he would be playing in the season opener against the Patriots.

I'm sorry, but I still think Kevin Johnson is tr...a subpar corner.

A hope another corner really steps it up this year..Johnson is what he is at this point.

A hope another corner really steps it up this year..Johnson is what he is at this point.

Haha what you apologizing for Carr? That's your opinion in which is well respected. Unfortunately after his play from last season, I have to respectfully disagree.

I don't think opposing teams saw it this way. It was like blood in the water when he entered the game the way they targeted him.

For some reason I remember KJohnson getting burnt last season. In Seattle most.

I think he is average at best. Because hits. But gets burnt too.

Bernard Pollard/Dunta Robinson like.

I don't know... he showed lots of promise his rookie year but injuries. He's still very young. This is only his 4th year and lot's of corners have a big jump their 4th year... Bouye comes to mind, and KJ stepped it up enough that most agreed to his option being picked up. Hopefully with a bit more health in the DL and more help at safety and with RAC back (part of the trouble last year was the crazy amount of blitzing that Vrabel did) KJo can pick it up this year. If not, let him walk

For some reason I remember KJohnson getting burnt last season. In Seattle most.

I think he is average at best. Because hits. But gets burnt too.

Bernard Pollard/Dunta Robinson like.

Every CB gets burnt... alot!

Capers/Casserly hired by McNair showed far less aptitude to run an NFL organization than Smith/Kubiak. Here’s hoping O’Brian/Gaine evolve into most competent McNair team yet!

Get a LT, RB and more solid pieces including true high ceiling back-up QB. Got about 3 maybe 4 more years :trophy:

My main concern, besides the fact that since his rookie year, Kevin Johnson has not shown much of anything........as reported by McClain in the past, the Texans exercised Kevin Johnson's 5th year option. He has missed 14 games over the past two years. That makes the option a real risk in his case, as it means that it is guaranteed for injury only. The Texans will be nailed for a guaranteed option year ($9+ million) if he can't pass a physical at the beginning of the 2019 league year.

Last edited:
Haha what you apologizing for Carr? That's your opinion in which is well respected. Unfortunately after his play from last season, I have to respectfully disagree.
I felt Kevin Johnson did quite well before being injured. He showed glimpses of being solid last season. I feel this season will be one of growth and he will be better than many expect him to be. That is just my unbiased opinion. I hope for our teams sake he he overcomes expectations by a long shot.

Besides injuries and poor tackling technique at times, I haven't seen enough of him to say his career is going to go either way.

Gun to my head, I'd pick it trending toward the positive just because of what I saw on film from him coming out of college.

Jordan Thomas with the impressive snag #Texans pic.twitter.com/HXwlHjuf7n

— Nik Alvarado (@SuperNiktendo) August 15, 2018

Coates blows by Powell catches a perfect ball from Weeden. #Texans

— patrick (@PatDStat) August 15, 2018

Kevin Johnson with tight coverage forces the bad Garrappolo pass. #Texans #49ers

— patrick (@PatDStat) August 15, 2018

On the first rep of practice, Texans WR DeAndre Hopkins and 49ers CB Jimmie Ward went at it and this is what ensued. Ward got his hands up and knocked Hopkins helmet off. pic.twitter.com/wTL6c8Xgm1

— Stefano Fusaro (@FusaroESPN) August 15, 2018

Back