Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2018 TRAINING CAMP

I think it has more to do with the number of QBs we have been through the years because of injury. You only get to third string if the starter AND second string are injured. Which has happened way too many times in recent years to the Texans.

He is closer in skill set than Weeden. He may be groomed to be the future number two after learning the system.

Plus having a third string that can contribute on special teams is a huge benefit.

That would mean the Watson would have been knocked out......and you would need a backup to #2. For whatever reason, someone would have to be concerned about Watson's availability to maintain the luxury of keeping 3 QBs, when we potentially other needs.

That would mean the Watson would have been knocked out......and you would need a backup to #2. For whatever reason, someone would have to be concerned about Watson's availability to maintain the luxury of keeping 3 QBs, when we potentially other needs.

And by that definition every team is worried about their starting QB getting injured otherwise they would not keep a 2nd QB.

And by that definition every team is worried about their starting QB getting injured otherwise they would not keep a 2nd QB.
Most teams don't worry about their starting QBs being out a large chunk of the season. Those teams with their QBs coming back from a major injury will be keeping more than 2 QBs. They will not take a chance of having a backup that has to learn the new system with very limited time on the fly (i.e., without the benefit of the offseason/TC).

Most teams don't worry about their starting QBs being out a large chunk of the season. Those teams with their QBs coming back from a major injury will be keeping more than 2 QBs. They will not take a chance of having a backup that has to learn the new system with very limited time on the fly (i.e., without the benefit of the offseason/TC).

If most teams didn’t worry about their QB being injured they wouldn’t keep 2 QBs. If they are keeping three logic would say they are concerned about the 2nd QB.

A third string QB can be usually found in a deer stand.

Maybe they want to do some sneaky field goal fakes when it's 4th and 3 in the Maroon Zone?

Reactions: JB
If most teams didn’t worry about their QB being injured they wouldn’t keep 2 QBs. If they are keeping three logic would say they are concerned about the 2nd QB.

Under the circumstances we're talking about a smart team's natural protective move.

And the dear stand was housed by a QB who was familiar with both the system and the personnel.

Reactions: JB
I think if Watson went down Webb would get the start the next game, Weeden might finish the game put he is purely a mentor in my mind.

Been looking through the depth chart, the position areas I'm most concerned about are OL outside of the C spot and cornerback.

Strongest at LB and WR.

Not so much in the Texans case... Weeden has been pretty durable to the best of my knowledge. And it's rare to find a starter or backup that knows your system and players in a deer stand.

I think if Watson went down Webb would get the start the next game, Weeden might finish the game put he is purely a mentor in my mind.

This preseason should tell us,, though I expect Weeden would be the finisher and the starter of the next game... unless the OLine is so atrocious again that it takes a mobile QB to survive

Zach Fulton brings a MEAN STREAK to Texans’ offensive line
Aug. 8, 2018 Updated: Aug. 8, 2018 9:27 p.m.

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — When Zach Fulton played for the Kansas City Chiefs, he built a reputation as a legitimate tough guy who enjoys dominating opponents.

It was that intensity, strength, technique and how Fulton emphatically finished his blocks that caught the Texans’ eye and prompted general manager Brian Gaine to make him the centerpiece of their overhaul project across the offensive line.

The revamped offensive line, which was one of the Texans’ weakest positions last season, will make its debut Thursday against the Chiefs in the team’s preseason opener. And Fulton will be a key.

“He’s a nasty player,” Texans center Nick Martin said of Fulton, who signed a four-year, $28 million deal. “He’s going to play hard and I can’t wait to play next to him.”

Fulton plays the game with the edge the Texans had hoped to see from former starting guard Jeff Allen, who he has replaced at right guard.

Nasty. Mauling. Mean.

All of those descriptions have been attached to Fulton’s name from teammates and coaches.
THE REST OF THE STORY

KANSAS CITY, Mo. — When Zach Fulton played for the Kansas City Chiefs, he built a reputation as a legitimate tough guy who enjoys dominating opponents.

It was that intensity, strength, technique and how Fulton emphatically finished his blocks that caught the Texans’ eye and prompted general manager Brian Gaine to make him the centerpiece of their overhaul project across the offensive line.

The revamped offensive line, which was one of the Texans’ weakest positions last season, will make its debut Thursday against the Chiefs in the team’s preseason opener. And Fulton will be a key.

“He’s a nasty player,” Texans center Nick Martin said of Fulton, who signed a four-year, $28 million deal. “He’s going to play hard and I can’t wait to play next to him.”

Fulton plays the game with the edge the Texans had hoped to see from former starting guard Jeff Allen, who he has replaced at right guard.

Nasty. Mauling. Mean.

All of those descriptions have been attached to Fulton’s name from teammates and coaches.
THE REST OF THE STORY

Good read.

Hope he lives up to the hype. That'd be huge for an Oline that has been in steady decline since OB arrived.

Nasty. Mauling. Mean.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Good read. Really nice to see a mean streak player on this OL unit. As long as he can carry a mean streak without getting bad penalties.....this should be very good. Like I mentioned in another post, I think the interior portion of the Texans OL could be very good this season.

Some talent starts their careers as backups and in a lot of cases that doesn't mean they were not capable of being starters for their respective teams but there may have been higher priced veterans blocking their path to becoming a starter....bad for the team that lost them but great for the team that gained them.

There's been some nice updates regarding Henderson and it really is encouraging if the reports that his health and performance thus far, hold up. That could be a massive plus b/c that means the Texans would finally have a right side (OL) that could be good from the center to tackle......that would be a first in 15 years.

Really looking forward to the Chiefs game tonight.....first, b/c I'm in Houston for the first time (only on a visit till the 13th then we're going to CT to check our daughter into college) since 1986 when the football season is going to kick-off. Second, I'm very curious to see how the team looks early when the starters get some reps but more importantly, how the depth performs overall. I think the Texans starters on both sides have the potential to be pretty special......the team could be very special depending if they can find enough depth to keep this team fresh or bridge time due to injuries for an entire season.

Last edited:
Good read. Really nice to see a mean streak player on this OL unit. As long as he can carry a mean streak without getting bad penalties.....this should be very good. Like I mentioned in another post, I think the interior portion of the Texans OL could be very good this season.

Some talent starts their careers as backups and in a lot of cases that doesn't mean they were not capable of being starters for their respective teams but there may have been higher priced veterans blocking their to become a starter....bad for the team that lost them but great for the team that gained them.

There's been some nice updates regarding Henderson and it really is encouraging if the reports that his health and performance thus far, hold up. That could be a massive plus b/c that means the Texans would finally have a right side (OL) that could be good from the center to tackle......that would be a first in 15 years.

Really looking forward to the Chiefs game tonight.....first, b/c I'm in Houston for the first time (only on a visit till the 13th then we're going to CT to check our daughter into college) since 1986 when the football season is going to kick-off. Second, I'm very curious to see how the team looks early when the starters get some reps but more importantly, how the depth performs overall. I think the Texans starters on both sides have the potential to be pretty special......the team could be very special depending if they can find enough depth to keep this team fresh or bridge time due to injuries for an entire season.

You know I have been echoing that same point when it comes to backups finally getting a chance to start. Some people get caught up with the title backup. Every player that comes into the NFL doesn't start right away for several reasons. One example: their is a quality starter ahead of them to begin with.
Now that they have a shot to be a starter, let's see if they can be or not.

You know I have been echoing that same point when it comes to backups finally getting a chance to start. Some people get caught up with the title backup. Every player that comes into the NFL doesn't start right away for several reasons. One example: their is a quality starter ahead of them to begin with.
Now that they have a shot to be a starter, let's see if they can be or not.

Case in point, look at how long the Texans stuck by Su'a-Filo and Newton....not that they had any real talent pushing them but the team never really allowed anyone to even compete for those positions. They quit assessing and fell head long into hope mode, is that ego or fear of being wrong?

Stephanie Stradley

✔@StephStradley

If you want to know my thoughts about the #Texans season before training camp, here they are: https://www.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Stephanie-Stradley-s-Texans-training-camp-13101549.php …

12:53 PM - Aug 9, 2018

His greatest in-game ability is to make plays with the chaos around him but that is hard to see in a controlled camp setting. His touch on the ball isn’t.

I’ve mentioned this before but I will be very plain and say this again. There have been times in Bill O’Brien’s Texans offseason camps where watching the offense made me actually nauseated. If you are throwing against no defenders, there shouldn’t be many drops. And obviously, if there is, then it isn’t likely going to be improved when the offense is facing practice defense or an actual defense.

Even with better-looking quarterback play, what are the limits of Watussin? I’ve asked this question before and I think it is more a concern now: "Who on the Texans offense do you identify as being better than league average?"

For the offensive line, I do not think you can identify anyone.

With no top draft picks, a thin draft, and limited free agents, improving the offensive line is hard. Good offensive lines tend to have the following characteristics:

Base athleticism and size.

Offensive line skill sets and experience.

Offensive line coaching with a history of developing NFL linemen.

Chemistry between the members.

Ability to stay healthy enough to play at a high level.

Competent quarterback and running back/tight end play.

I think on most of these factors, the Texans are below league average. In addition, if a line seems as thin and unproven in July, it is hard to think that this situation gets significantly better by the end of the season.

This coaching staff hasn’t had a track record of significantly improving O-line players but that may be a bit of chicken and egg, because they’ve had limited time working with competent quarterback play. (For a brutal local example, sacks went down by about half after David Carr left, with basically the same coaching staff and offensive line remaining).

When I asked O’Brien this offseason about the new offensive line members and building continuity, he explained where he saw them now:

"I think that has looked, relative to having no pads on, I think the continuity up front has looked good, though. With basically three new guys there with Seantrel (Henderson), Senio (Kelemete) and Zach (Fulton), all three of those guys have played a lot of football in this league. They’re pros. They understand how important communication is. There’s been a lot of meeting time. Now, really the continuity has to come together when we put pads on and we really start to play real football, but I like the foundation that we’ve laid moving forward here."

The limitations at offensive line means that the coaching staff has to figure out a way of protecting the subpar line from being exposed and killing their quarterback, using both play calling and formation. Some of that has been ugly.

As for the running back position, I thought the Texans would have done more in the offseason.

The 2018 running back class was supposed to have good depth, and running back is a position where a player can contribute quickly.

Last year’s running game was not efficient, even when Watson was playing.

Though D’Onta Foreman showed good promise last year before his Achilles injury. Because of the nature of that injury, I’m not sure you can reasonably rely on him coming back fully this season or at all. Reports of his progress have been positive but that is a serious injury for a running back.

Lamar Miller has had moments but he isn’t the back you want to rely on when you absolutely need a short yardage run. This was why Foreman was drafted.

From early preseason practices, you can’t really tell much about the running game because the focus is mostly passing and teaching.

If I had to guess right now, next year will continue to be the tandem of Lamar Miller and Alfred Blue with somebody else pitching in if either one of them gets injured. I anticipate lots of yards, not very efficient ones.

On the tight end position

The summed-up evolution of the tight end position for the Texans in their history is as follows:

Dom Capers: Skinny offensive linemen who had a few moments in the early years.

Gary Kubiak: Prolific pass catchers, sometimes substituting for having a legitimate No. 2 wide receiver.

Bill O’Brien: An often-underperforming unit, plagued with injuries and drops.

Out of the remaining WR candidates to keep offenses honest, the players that flashed in the early preseason practice sessions were Keke Coutee and Sammie Coates.

You could immediately see why the Texans drafted Coutee.

I got the same sensation I got watching Hopkins’ rookie year early practices though they have very different physical traits and styles: Coutee plays like he was meant to be wide receiver, not an athlete that they need to try to "improve his hands" into an NFL wide receiver or a pass catcher with physical skills that don’t project well for the NFL.

Looks effortless when he catches the ball and his quickness is easily apparent. Like Hopkins, he didn’t look like the rookie wide receiver or just blend in with the rest of the new wide receivers.

It can be slower for rookie wide receivers to develop versus running backs given scheme, route and contact differences from college but I think the early hype on Coutee is deserved. (Note: I’m someone who traditionally is pretty skeptical about hype on lower round draft pick WR rookies and have not liked some of the choices that the Texans have tried to develop traditionally).

As for Sammie Coates, the Texans have very limited veteran talent at the WR generally, and particularly wide receivers of size. His availability to the Texans was partially due to his untimely injury history, questions about ball tracking, and bad roster fits. He’s had moments in his short career where you could see his potential upside.

At the end of May, I asked DeAndre Hopkins about what Coates brought to the team. I did it that day because Hopkins was available to speak to the media and Coates had a number of good catches during an indoor practice, including one that looked too easy in the corner of the end zone.

I am sure that the team will begin looking at the OLB/DE group to help sway how they are going to especially handle Clowney's situation.

It looks like Duke Ejiofor is practicing and should play tonight. Do you think this is way too soon to come back from his labrum surgery?

Built very similar to Mercilus and more seasoned pass rusher than most rookies entering the league. IF healthy he will be quite a steal and good insurance for either Mercilus or Clowney on a 6th round rookie contract.

It looks like Duke Ejiofor is practicing and should play tonight. Do you think this is way too soon to come back from his labrum surgery?

Built very similar to Mercilus and more seasoned pass rusher than most rookies entering the league. IF healthy he will be quite a steal and good insurance for either Mercilus or Clowney on a 6th round rookie contract.

Previous post:
I don't expect him to be back by TC, especially since he played with a torn labrum and probably extended the injury. His surgery was Feb 10 of this year. The return to play on average would be expected to be closer to 8.5 months. In addition, he will have lost extremely important prep time for a rookie.

I addressed this in detail in a previous post.

His practice has basically been simple drills. I would be quite concerned if he were to play this soon. And if he did, it would not be fair to evaluate properly him this early.

This article was written before camp even started.. I don't see much point in writing a article about player performance during a few OTA practices when players are knocking off the offseason rust and working on their timing...not to mention while a new offense was being installed.

I'm also not going to freak out if Watson has a questionable preseason..he wasn't very good in last year's preseason either and we all see how that turned out when the games mattered.

From everything I've heard Troymaine Pope has been making an impression.

I even heard one person say they expect him to be the number two over Blue when it comes down to playing time. We'll see though.

I was predicting that for Terry Swanson. But little has been mentioned about him.

Houston Texans Training Camp: Texans Return Back to Houston and Deshaun Watson is Running the Show
Saturday, August 11, 2018

The Houston Texans returned to the Methodist Training Center, holding their first practice after their preseason opener on Thursday. It was a busy but light practice in helmets only, with the team heading to an off day on Sunday before a full week of work prior to the San Francisco 49ers coming to town on Wednesday.

Here is a closer look at today’s practice.

It may sound like a broken record but watching Deshaun Watson work as a quarterback is special. First, his total command as a leader is unmatched and it is clear who is directing the offense. Watson expects perfection from his offensive teammates and there are times you can see him talking to his skill players and offensive linemen after plays.

As for his work on the field, Watson continues to make throwing the ball look easy. He was working on his touch today, leading receivers in stride and most importantly, developed impressive timing with DeAndre Hopkins, Bruce Ellington, and Will Fuller. Ellington and Watson continually work together on the field and consistently discuss the offense. Watson has changed the vibe of practice in his second year with the Texans.

Kareem Jackson is getting extended work at safety and he is taking more than the normal amount of reps a starter would. Jackson is making sure he is ready for the season as he moves to the safety position and he is doing everything he can to see as many looks from the middle of the defense.

Jordan Akins is picking up where he left off from his showing at the first preseason game where he caught two touchdowns. Today, he caught the ball with purpose from Watson and in redzone work, beating both man and zone coverages. Akins is appearing to quickly become an asset to the offense with his athletic ability.

The buzz going around training camp is how impressed the coaching staff is with their three pass catching rookies in; Akins, Jordan Thomas, and Keke Coutee. The team envisioned how those three would compliment Watson and they were drafted with Watson in mind. There are high expectations for the trio and the expectation is for the trio to be a core group with Watson moving forward.

Rookie wide receiver Vyncint Smith had a strong day, making his catches look smooth and getting his feet in bounds. Smith has a shot of making this team via the practice squad. He is putting together a strong camp which continued on Saturday.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Regarding Watson being in command -- having a qb that comes into camp knowing the playbook and on the same page with receivers is an enormous advantage for those teams fortunate enough to have these types of qb's (besides the obvious advantage of franchise qb's being very good). I've witnessed the first day of training camp (college) that had a veteran qb/ol and receivers and literally everyone knew what to do without coach input on the very first day. I understand that this isn't going to be the case in the NFL w/ free agency, but I do think there is an equivalent of having a qb in control and on the same page w/ his wr's and rb's to get a team up to speed light years ahead of where we were w/ the qb carousel.

Regarding Watson being in command -- having a qb that comes into camp knowing the playbook and on the same page with receivers is an enormous advantage for those teams fortunate enough to have these types of qb's (besides the obvious advantage of franchise qb's being very good). I've witnessed the first day of training camp (college) that had a veteran qb/ol and receivers and literally everyone knew what to do without coach input on the very first day. I understand that this isn't going to be the case in the NFL w/ free agency, but I do think there is an equivalent of having a qb in control and on the same page w/ his wr's and rb's to get a team up to speed light years ahead of where we were w/ the qb carousel.

Yeah and good thing Savage wasn’t here to beat him out of first string!

...The Texans edge rushers have to be cleared to use the spin move in pass rush drills...
Can anyone shed some light on the meaning of this comment?

...Brandon Weeden has a strangle hold on the back up quarterback position and it is a clear drop off to Joe Webb...
This should put this issue to rest.

Can anyone shed some light on the meaning of this comment?

This should put this issue to rest.

Spin moves, especially if not performed properly, put a lot of stress on the knees, and makes it high risk for knee ligament injuries. Watch Ladainian Tomlinson's left leg (see how easy it is to hyperextend the knee and cause an ACL [or other ligament or meniscus tears], especially if you slip) in this VIDEO.

Last edited:
The Texans have signed a new wide receiver / kick returner..... Quan Bray. He has also acted as a punt returner in the past.
He is probably been brought in more for his potential return abilities since are returners have done essentially nothing so far.

The Texans have signed a new wide receiver / kick returner..... Quan Bray. He has also acted as a punt returner in the past.
He is probably been brought in more for his potential return abilities since are returners have done essentially nothing so far.

I wonder what the corresponding roster move is? Have not seen it reported yet. I’d say this move means they are unhappy with Ellington/Miller as returners and are tying to find a reason not to put Fuller out there. At least until Coutee is healthy and can show if he can do it.

Houston Texans Training Camp:

The buzz going around training camp is how impressed the coaching staff is with their three p
ass catching rookies in; Akins, Jordan Thomas, and Keke Coutee. The team envisioned how those three would compliment Watson and they were drafted with Watson in mind. There are high expectations for the trio and the expectation is for the trio to be a core group with Watson moving forward.

Thursday night’s preseason star Duke Ojiofor tried the spin move against Davenport and it was shut down in a hurry.

THE REST OF THE STORY

Brian Gaine's first draft class has the potential to be the best in franchise history and he didn't even have a 1st or 2nd round pick.

Brian Gaine's first draft class has the potential to be the best in franchise history and he didn't even have a 1st or 2nd round pick.

It's not like the bar is set very high. '06 is probably the best, would have been even better had Ron Dayne not killed Spencer's career 2 games into it.

'09 is likely #2, '17 has potential to move to the top, but then it's pretty bad from there.

It's not like the bar is set very high. '06 is probably the best, would have been even better had Ron Dayne not killed Spencer's career 2 games into it.

'09 is likely #2, '17 has potential to move to the top, but then it's pretty bad from there.

Yep, that's half my point. Rick Smith averaged about one A-lister and one B-lister per year, and the rest were washouts. '06 and '09 may have been exceptions, but they made up for terrible to mediocre drafts like '07 and '13. Seriously, if it weren't for DeAndre Hopkins, the '13 class would get many GM's fired.

I don't want to turn this into a Smith bashing thread, mostly to stay on topic but also because I don't think he was a terrible GM. But it's really nice to see the immediate improvement in draft decisions.

Last edited:
Yep, that's half my point. Rick Smith averaged about one A-lister and one B-lister per year, and the rest were washouts. '06 and '09 may have been exceptions, but they made up for terrible to mediocre drafts like '07 and '13. Seriously, if it weren't for DeAndre Hopkins, the '13 class would get many GM's fired.

I don't want to turn this into a Smith bashing thread, mostly to stay on topic but also because I don't think he was a terrible GM. But it's really nice to see the immediate improvement in draft decisions.

You just proved he was a terrible GM.

Looks like the Texans upgraded at the GM position. Not that that was hard to do.

He was mediocre and made good decisions unrelated to the draft. Casserly was a terrible GM.

/derail

Good decisions like extending Cush coming off an injury?

Signing Os

Etc...

Just be glad an upgrade appears to have been made at the GM position. The Texans have never even had an avg GM since their inception and sad thing is most fans dont even know any better. If you want to say Ricky was good at making McNair $$$$ that would be true.

Pat's stuff so make sure to give him clicks:

State of the Texans@SOTTexans
https://twitter.com/SOTTexans/status/1029001535018217473

Houston Texans 53-Man Roster Prediction: Version 1.0 http://www.stateofthetexans.com/blog/2018/08/13/houston-texans-53-man-roster-prediction-version-1-0/ …

8:47 AM - Aug 13, 2018

QB Deshaun Watson, Brandon Weeden, Joe Webb

Joe Webb is the wildcard here because of how the Texans are trying to fit him into the roster. Webb is on a majority of the special teams units and he is getting work as the #3 quarterback. If Webb can prove his worth on special teams, there is little reason to think he will not make this roster.

RB Lamar Miller, Troymaine Pope, Alfred Blue, Tyler Ervin, Jay Prosch

Troymaine Pope is now in this group due to D’Onta Foreman’s status on the active/PUP list. If the Texans are not comfortable with this group, they could go outside of the organization to fill the depth chart until Foreman is ready.

TE Ryan Griffin, Jordan Thomas, Jordan Akins

Stephen Anderson is the big omission for this group because Thomas and Akins were drafted to grow with Deshaun Watson.

WR DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller, Keke Coutee, Sammie Coates, Braxton Miller

The final wide receiver group will come down to Braxton Miller and Bruce Ellington. Miller gets the early nod due to being younger and a draft pick. Miller will have to show his worth on special teams to stick around on the roster.

Back