Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2018 Front office changes

Texans have gone through 3 special teams coaches since 2013. Two of them were thought to be pretty good at one point or another and the other seemed to have some good potential. Marciano and Ligs are still coaching ST in the nfl and college respectively. Izzo will likely find another job as well.

Maybe it’s not the coaches.

Maybe it’s the way they draft in the 3rd rounds and later where a good portion of your special teams guys should come from.

Special teams is really not all that complex. Want to, athleticism and discipline are really the main ingredients.

Hopefully we’ll start to see more guys who fit the mold.

If he's there in the 5th I would trade up for Shaqueem Griffin. He's going to be a great ST's guy. I also would sign T. Jones from the Raiders another one of the best gunners in the NFL. A cheap and easy fix for the ST's.

If he's there in the 5th I would trade up for Shaqueem Griffin. He's going to be a great ST's guy. I also would sign T. Jones from the Raiders another one of the best gunners in the NFL. A cheap and easy fix for the ST's.

You should consider a job with a NFL team. You know exactly how to build an NFL roster.

You should consider a job with a NFL team. You know exactly how to build an NFL roster.

Thanks

It's not my calling.

But I know I could do better over the last decade than Ricky has. Sure there's luck involved but this isn't brain surgery like some would have you believe.

If you want to be the best you have to out work the best and be a risk taker. Something BB is and Really isn't in Ricky's DNA. Good thing is since Ricky is history it really doesn't matter anymore.

The McNairs put the blame on Ricky and BOB won this power play. I know some can't fathom this but it's time to get on board. Because it's the way it's going to be for the next 3-4 years.

Who do you think would be a good choice to replace Devlin?

:coffee:

I got this from Cak, but with the type of OL it appears that BOB wants to build I would hire Hudson Houck for a couple of yrs and let him train an asst OL coach to take over when he retires.

Other guys I would hire would be Larry Zierlein/Matthews.

Why the hell would anyone mention Frank friggin' Reich's name in Houston after 41-38, anyway?

B/C he's the one who lead that comeback!! I've never been so pissed and rewarded at the same time. Pissed that the Oilers lost a very winnable game but rewarded when I got invited to the Cowboys - Bills Super Bowl. Should've been the Oilers - Cowboys Super Bowl!!!!

Texans strength and conditioning coach Craig Fitzgerald has "resigned" and has accepted job as the strength and conditioning coach at the University of Tennessee under new coach Jeremy Pruitt.

By the appearance of the weekly Injury Reports, did not appear to create a well-conditioned team.

A bunch of assistants thrown under the bus to buy more time for Buttchin. It now looks like the owner has decided to stay with the bad HC and waste a little more time.

Texans strength and conditioning coach Craig Fitzgerald has "resigned" and has accepted job as the strength and conditioning coach at the University of Tennessee under new coach Jeremy Pruitt.

By the appearance of the weekly Injury Reports, did not appear to create a well-conditioned team.

If I recall correctly he had made quite a few changes that the players and Obh liked.

John McClain‏Verified account@McClain_on_NFL 14h14 hours ago

The Bears are interested in hiring Texans offensive assistant Pat O'Hara as their new QB coach under Matt Nagy. The Texans have offered Cowboys RB coach Gary Brown a job as their RB coach replacing Charles London. QB coach Sean Ryan interviewed for Brows' OC job.

BTW, this is the same Gary Brown who carried the rock for the Oilers.

Last edited:
According to Clarence Hill, Jr. of the Star Telegram (Read Here), the Texans are trying to lure Dallas Cowboys running back coach Gary Brown to Houston. Brown would have the same position with the Texans and take over the running back group.

Brown has been a busy man this off-season, interviewing with the Arizona Cardinals and Oakland Raiders and is now mulling the offers from the Cowboys and Texans. The Cardinals are still in play if a head coach can be put in place before Brown comes to make a decision.

Brown has coaches running backs for the Cleveland Browns (2009-2012) and the Cowboys (2013-2017) and also coached in the college ranks at Lycoming (2003-2005), Susquehanna (2006-2007), and Rutgers (2008).
link

Some people know what they are good at. Teaching to cut and carry a ball is not an automatic to designing plays.
Yea that part of it is pretty much about innate skills that the back has or doesn't but other parts like pass-receiving and especialy pass-protection/blocking are more dependent upon a capable coach.

Yea that part of it is pretty much about innate skills that the back has or doesn't but other parts like pass-receiving and especialy pass-protection/blocking are more dependent upon a capable coach.

Yeah, no. Ask Tiki about holding the ball. And for cuts, how many times have you seen a Texans RB cut to the backside since Kubiak & Co. left?

But the point was everything that goes into RB doesn't add up to designing plays or an offense.

Some people know what they are good at. Teaching to cut and carry a ball is not an automatic to designing plays.
No I get it. Stick with what you know. I know there are lifetime position coaches out there but it's just odd to me to not even throw your hat into the ring for OC. You've been around gameplans all your life so one would assume you pick something up through osmosis. Not knocking the guy though.

Yeah, no. Ask Tiki about holding the ball. And for cuts, how many times have you seen a Texans RB cut to the backside since Kubiak & Co. left?

But the point was everything that goes into RB doesn't add up to designing plays or an offense.
As you know backs cutting to the backside is largely a function of the ZB schemes that Kubiak utilized a lot more than O'briens offense does.

So if Rick is out of the game, who's doing all the firing? OB throwing his own staff to the curb? Or was it Rick's staff that he's getting rid of? Surely the McNair's didn't come to those conclusions that those guys needed to go.

This franchise is so back asswards it's unreal.
The HC usually hires his own assistants. Sometimes the GM will hire a top-flight coordinator he's got his eye on but the assistants are pretty much always hired by the HC. That's not just here, that's everywhere.

I read Notre Dame’s OL coach is going to the Bears. I wish Texans would have made a run for him, he has turned that school into an Oline factory pumping out top prospects since he got there in 2012.

It’s interesting that you mention that. I’ve been in the business for over 20 years, and at the professional level I believe the 3 most important thing are 1)injury prevention 2)conditioning and 3) strength/performance development. The funny thing is building strength is surprisingly easy, yet most teams/ college programs tend to hire the meat head power lifter type guys.

It’s interesting that you mention that. I’ve been in the business for over 20 years, and at the professional level I believe the 3 most important thing are 1)injury prevention 2)conditioning and 3) strength/performance development. The funny thing is building strength is surprisingly easy, yet most teams/ college programs tend to hire the meat head power lifter type guys.
I'm so glad that you laid this out! This has always been a bone of contention of mine when speaking to my sports medicine colleagues. Muscled-up meat heads created by similar-minded coaches you mentioned do not create an atmosphere that attains the 3 goals you listed.

I saw this tweet from Seth Payne yesterday:

"People love to talk about the Patriots game planning, but the thing that consistently impresses me is the way players improve their position skills over the course of a season. Belichick coaches his coaches better than anybody".

I'm usually an O'Brien defended because I like the guy, I think the players do too but that quote made me really stop and think about this constant position coach turnover that occurs on Kirby.

Until O'Brien does a better job of coaching his coaches, he can fire the all position coaches he likes every year but it won't make the team better. Or, the Texans will need to spend a lot of money on the best position coaches out there and tell O'Brien to stay out of there way. Also, I'm trying to remember one player that improved this year and I can't think of one. Am I being unfair?

What do you think about Mike Mularkey as OC/OL coach? We can call him the OC even though OB will be, but he has a track record of helping offensive lines and run offense. I would not want him calling plays, but adding him to our staff wouldn't be a bad thing.

What do you think about Mike Mularkey as OC/OL coach? We can call him the OC even though OB will be, but he has a track record of helping offensive lines and run offense. I would not want him calling plays, but adding him to our staff wouldn't be a bad thing.

He runs a non-productive E-P. Perfect OB hire.

How good is the Charles London guy? Bears brought him in 2 coach our RBs and we got reallly good RB core so I wanna know if this guy is gonna coach them up or if he just came over 2 get his resume padded so he can go on 2 hte next big things? any of u guys have some incites on this dude?

How good is the Charles London guy? Bears brought him in 2 coach our RBs and we got reallly good RB core so I wanna know if this guy is gonna coach them up or if he just came over 2 get his resume padded so he can go on 2 hte next big things? any of u guys have some incites on this dude?

Doesn’t matter.

If a rb is good he’s good.

Packers dB coach interviewing with Texans for same job

https://mobile.twitter.com/alexmarvez/status/953046535482290176
Perry has been with the Packers since 2009 as their safeties coach and also has coached defensive backs for the Oakland Raiders (2007-2008), Pittsburgh Steelers (2003-2006), and Cincinnati Bengals (2002). He started coaching under his former defensive coordinator, Dick LeBeau and assisted in coaching Troy Polamalu and Chris Hope when both arrived to the Steelers around 2003. Perry was considered instrumental in Polamalu’s development in the early portion of his career.

Perry played in the NFL for nine seasons and his best seasons came with the Steelers, where he was named as an All-Pro in 1994. He also won Super Bowls as a player with the Steelers (2005) and a coach with the Packers (2010).

The Texans still have assistant defensive back coach Anthony Midget in-house; he was responsible for the safeties. Under O’Brien’s structure, two coaches handle the secondary with one coaching cornerbacks and the other coaching safeties.
link

Texans have hired Brad Seely as the new ST coach.

Seely is a longtime ST coach. His highlights are that he was the Patriots ST coach for ten years under Pete Carrol and then Bill Bellicheck from 1999 to 2008. He was hired away by Mangini when he got the Cleveland job (post Jets) with an associate head coach title. He was named the ST coach of the year in 2009 with Cleveland and once in the 90s with the Panthers. After Cleveland he was the ST coach for the 49ers and his unit regularly ranked in the top 3 in coverage and was considered one of the leagues best ST units. He then joined Jack Del Rio's staff in Oakland and Del Rio raved about him.

Seely is a longtime ST coach. His highlights are that he was the Patriots ST coach for ten years under Pete Carrol and then Bill Bellicheck from 1999 to 2008. He was hired away by Mangini when he got the Cleveland job (post Jets) with an associate head coach title. He was named the ST coach of the year in 2009 with Cleveland and once in the 90s with the Panthers. After Cleveland he was the ST coach for the 49ers and his unit regularly ranked in the top 3 in coverage and was considered one of the leagues best ST units. He then joined Jack Del Rio's staff in Oakland and Del Rio raved about him.

Don't know a thing about Seely but seems like his resume is pretty outstanding

I like it fine when we'll coached.

Fyi - the Saints are Air Coryell.

Payton coached under Parcells as OC/QB coach.

I'm not going to get into a coaching argument with you since I dont feel like wasting my time. But since Payton was OC under Parcells and learned as a young coach under Parcells that Payton's offense would have mostly the principles of the HOF HC Payton coached under.

Better give him some good athletes/high effort guys on the back end of the roster.

Back