Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2017 Texans Free Agents/Salary Cap Situation: Where do we stand?

If I remember correctly, the Mad Radio guys (not capologists of course) were saying that we can gain 5 mil or so by extending hopkins.

He counts 9 mil or so against the cap now. We can lower his first year salary and make up the rest in signing bonus, which is spread over the next few years. Don't remember specifics but maybe a capologist can eloborate or correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Basically they can extend him out 5 years or so and offer him say a 20M signing bonus with another 15M guaranteed as base salaries in later years, have the first year be a low salary like 1M, in this example his cap hit this year would be 5M thus saving 3M

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basically they can extend him out 5 years or so and offer him say a 20M signing bonus with another 15M guaranteed as base salaries in later years, have the first year be a low salary like 1M, in this example his cap hit this year would be 5M thus saving 3M

Yeah, you save a small $3M this year, then you've got cap hits that are far too high in later years, with guaranteed money attached to them.

Poor idea.

Free Agent OT Mike Remmers Visiting Vikings & Texans
Brett Tessler, the agent for OT Mike Remmers tells Pro Football Talk that his client is visiting the Vikings today and the Texans on Saturday.

“Several teams have reached out over the last few days and we’re close to making a decision,” Tessler said.

Remmers, 27, originally signed on with the Broncos as an undrafted free agent out of Oregon State back in 2012. He lasted just a few months with the team before signing on to the Buccaneers practice squad a week into the 2012 season.

Since then, Remmers has played for a few teams including the Chargers, Vikings and Rams before he signed to the Panthers’ active roster in 2014. Carolina brought Remmers back in a one-year, restricted deal last year.

In 2016, Remmers appeared in all 16 games for the Panthers and was rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 51 offensive tackle out of 78 qualifying players.
from ProFootballTalk

Uggh this guy was basically a slightly better than Clark, really hope he is not brought in to start.

John Simon has gone to the Colts, 3 year 17M deal.

Slightly dissapointed at this one think he was an underrated player

Kyle Terada-USA TODAY Sports
Report: Remmers schedules visits with Vikings, Texans
David P. Woods Mar 10, 2017 8:40 AM
Free-agent offensive tackle Mike Remmers will visit the Minnesota Vikings and Houston Texans before the end of the week, his agent told Pro Football Talk.

Remmers started at right tackle for the Carolina Panthers, but was frequently the victim of opposing pass-rushers. He was abused in front of a worldwide audience by Von Miller in Super Bowl 50.

With the Vikings losing left tackle Matt Kalil to the Panthers on Thursday, it's possible the teams will trade tackles.

If Remmers doesn't reach a deal with the Vikings, he'll move on to the Texans, who are seeking reinforcements on their line.

He's easily replaced with a taco!

f5caa15b02ce29729aae37db5bb6b481.jpg

idonno:

Free Agent OT Mike Remmers Visiting Vikings & Texans
Brett Tessler, the agent for OT Mike Remmers tells Pro Football Talk that his client is visiting the Vikings today and the Texans on Saturday.

“Several teams have reached out over the last few days and we’re close to making a decision,” Tessler said.

Remmers, 27, originally signed on with the Broncos as an undrafted free agent out of Oregon State back in 2012. He lasted just a few months with the team before signing on to the Buccaneers practice squad a week into the 2012 season.

Since then, Remmers has played for a few teams including the Chargers, Vikings and Rams before he signed to the Panthers’ active roster in 2014. Carolina brought Remmers back in a one-year, restricted deal last year.

In 2016, Remmers appeared in all 16 games for the Panthers and was rated by Pro Football Focus as the No. 51 offensive tackle out of 78 qualifying players.
from ProFootballTalk

Uggh this guy was basically a slightly better than Clark, really hope he is not brought in to start.

Going on the cheap

Going to get Tony killed

Wonder if Ricky watched any of Remmers film from last season? He must not have, Remmers almost got Cam killed. With Remmers O/U for Romo 3 games? I'll take the under.

He's easily replaced with a taco!
Really ? I think he's a pretty descent young backer who's a starter for us. Why not keep him and release the aging and oft injured Brian Cushing. Cush is an inside LB and they are cheaper to replace than guys like Simon who have value as a pass rusher.

Simon for ~6M per is high. I was hoping to re-sign him for half that. I can't say I blame them for letting him walk. That's another potential comp pick.

Yeah, you save a small $3M this year, then you've got cap hits that are far too high in later years, with guaranteed money attached to them.

Poor idea.

Your not really saving your just spreading the cap hit out over different years, so it depends when they want to take the hit, your not paying more or less it's more a question of accounting, if they feel it's most beneficial to have more room this year it's not a bad idea, especially since we are talking about 3M not 30M.

I mean "save" against the average number of the contract, which means your other years must have cap hits above the average number.

Almost anytime you push salary to the end of contracts, it's a bad idea. You combine that with pushing guaranteed money down the road, and the idea is even worse.

Best idea is to extend him with a high guaranteed amount at the expense, for him, at a slightly lower average amount. That way you can use roster bonuses to offset a higher salary bonus. With that, you either keep his 2017 cap number the same or raise it slightly. This will keep his later cap hits lower and his dead cap figure lower later on the contract. Deciding to keep him or cut him would then be an easier decision later on, because he won't cost much to cut and he won't have an exorbitantly high cap number that makes him difficult to keep.

Last edited:
Really ? I think he's a pretty descent young backer who's a starter for us. Why not keep him and release the aging and oft injured Brian Cushing. Cush is an inside LB and they are cheaper to replace than guys like Simon who have value as a pass rusher.
It was joke! Well kinda. Look at mollywhoppers post. Taco Charleton. He would be a perfect fit where Simon played.

It was joke! Well kinda. Look at mollywhoppers post. Taco Charleton. He would be a perfect fit where Simon played.
Never, ever joke about losing Texans valuable to the team like Simon ! Now the others like Brock-O and Louis "just one time finish practice" Nix you can joke about them all you want, that's cool.

The problem is that we had assembled a defense that had jelled into a fine tuned unit with the players familiar with each other. I also heard on the radio that the position, as played in our system, has a steep learning curve. His replacement will not be a plug and play. We are in a win now mode and, short term, this is a bit of a set back for our defense.

The problem is that we had assembled a defense that had jelled into a fine tuned unit with the players familiar with each other. I also heard on the radio that the position, as played in our system, has a steep learning curve. His replacement will not be a plug and play. We are in a win now mode and, short term, this is a bit of a set back for our defense.

I think Brennan Scarlett shows a lot of promise.

But then again I liked Travis Johnson. :embarrass

I know noothiiing.

:coffee:

John Simon has gone to the Colts, 3 year 17M deal.

Slightly dissapointed at this one think he was an underrated player

So, Spotrac has Simon at 3 yrs $13.5M. That's a lot closer to what I was expecting and I am surprised we didn't try to sign him for that or near that.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/john-simon-12410/

He's even easily cuttable after 2017, though I doubt we would have structured his contract that way.

I think you guys are over writing Simon a little bit his main function was to hold the edge and he wasn't that great at that. If we are lucky enough to get taco Charlton he would be a huge upgrade over Simon

Charlton has always played with his hand down and I think he's a much better fit playing DE in the box than playing in space on the edge at OLB. Not saying he couldn't do it but don't think that's his best fit. He's at his best when he gets to rush up the field. Personally I think Haason Reddick would be an ideal fit to replace Simon.

Charlton has always played with his hand down and I think he's a much better fit playing DE in the box than playing in space on the edge at OLB. Not saying he couldn't do it but don't think that's his best fit. He's at his best when he gets to rush up the field. Personally I think Haason Reddick would be an ideal fit to replace Simon.
Well if we played a normal straight up 3/4 I might agree. At 6'6" 277 with great recognition skills, I'll take taco setting the edge over Reddick. Taco is going to be really good. He's just starting to peak as a player. I don't see him having any problems taking over Simon's role. But hey I really like Reddick too. I'll take either one and be happy.

Wonder how much TJ Lang is asking for. He's still on the market. Solid guard.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-nfl-offensive-linemen-this-season/

Whatever gets XSF off the field.

22. T.J. Lang, RG, Green Bay Packers (83.3)
Josh Sitton’s old teammate, T.J. Lang, has continued where he left off a year ago with another fine season. Lang has matched Sitton, allowing just five total QB pressures in nine games, and has yet to allow either a sack or hit on Aaron Rodgers. His run blocking hasn’t been as good as it was a year ago, though, which is a trend with most of the Packers’ line, and part of the reason the team is so quick to abandon the run game.

Wonder how much TJ Lang is asking for. He's still on the market. Solid guard.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-25-nfl-offensive-linemen-this-season/

Whatever gets XSF off the field.

22. T.J. Lang, RG, Green Bay Packers (83.3)
Josh Sitton’s old teammate, T.J. Lang, has continued where he left off a year ago with another fine season. Lang has matched Sitton, allowing just five total QB pressures in nine games, and has yet to allow either a sack or hit on Aaron Rodgers. His run blocking hasn’t been as good as it was a year ago, though, which is a trend with most of the Packers’ line, and part of the reason the team is so quick to abandon the run game.

Might be due to this: A foot injury and a "minor" hip surgery complicates free agency for the No. 2 guard in this free agency class. Some team should still invest big in one of the better right guards in football over the last few years.

Well if we played a normal straight up 3/4 I might agree. At 6'6" 277 with great recognition skills, I'll take taco setting the edge over Reddick. Taco is going to be really good. He's just starting to peak as a player. I don't see him having any problems taking over Simon's role. But hey I really like Reddick too. I'll take either one and be happy.

Sky is the limit for Charlton. Got stuck behind some good players at Michigan early on but really came into his own this past year. Was their best defensive player down the stretch.

Every position in this damn organization (from top to bottom) seems to have a "steep learning curve!" How about they stop getting cute and cut the bullsh1t already? It's about damn time to see a final product out on the field on Sundays.

Every position in this damn organization (from top to bottom) seems to have a "steep learning curve!" How about they stop getting cute and cut the bullsh1t already? It's about damn time to see a final product out on the field on Sundays.

What bullshit?

Yeah, all that cute moving the front around on defense is of no use to us. It didn't provide any benefit for us. That formation with McKinney outside and Merci as a MLB is too cute. Never mind that Merci got atleast one unabated sack from that formation last year. Forget our dropping a slot back into FS, while our safeties crash the LOS nonsense. It provides no value.

The defensive coaches have proven that they can take players and turn them into versatile pieces and they've proven to be able to field competitive defenses.

Why is it that this team is considered to have a learning curve that is steeper than other successful teams? I wonder sometimes if some of the people here even watch the NFL outside of the Texans, or even the Texans alone. You remember Wade Phillips, that guy that went to Denver? You ever watch Denver? Too cute for you?

That goes for the QB too. This offense was quite basic after the snap last year. Almost too basic, but I imagine that was part of what we had to work with behind center. I'm not sure what's being asked pre-snap, but I can't imagine that it is so debilitating that a competent guy can't figure it out or grow into actually making it a weapon. Point me to all the QBs that we've let go that have shown significant improvement after leaving or were better before arriving. There isn't a single QB of that group that is considered to be a starter right now.

All the versatile offenses that work in the NFL are predicated on the QB being able to partially act like a coach and adjust pre-snap. Atlanta runs hurry up where essentially Matt Ryan is calling the play and or checking the play. The Pats leave a lot for Brady to do on his own. He basically ran that entire offense himself at the end of the Super Bowl. Brees has been doing it for years. Rivers had been doing it for years. Luck does it late in games and plays his best in that role. Big Ben does it often. Manning did it for years. This is what is required from a QB if a team aspires to be versatile enough to win a Super Bowl. I'll take that approach over a dumb down offense that gets smashed by teams who have coordinators that can scheme against what they see on tape.

Considering we had the #1 defense in the league last year with the DPOY sitting on the sideline I'd say the learning curve on defense is justified.

Offensively? Not so much.

Pats moved down 8 spots in the draft and acquire Kony Ealy in the process. They're playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers.

They managed to acquire both Dwayne Allen and Kony Ealy this week without actually giving up anything.

Pats moved down 8 spots in the draft and acquire Kony Ealy in the process. They're playing chess and everyone else is playing checkers.

They managed to acquire both Dwayne Allen and Kony Ealy this week without actually giving up anything.

WOW. Swapping a late 2nd for an early 3rd to get Ealy? I wish we had gotten in on that. NE is losing a few free agents that will certainly net them some comp picks in 2018, and trading for players to protect those losses from being wiped out. Really smart GM'ing there, but that's SOP for Bill.

A few guys Jayson Braddock says we should target in FA:

@jaysonbraddock

I'd stay away from big money guys & positions w/ talent/depth in the draft & target value that gives Texans draft flexibility. Here's some..

1) RT - Kelvin Beachum
2) S/ST - Michael Thomas
3) WR/ST - Cordarrelle Patterson
4) Slot CB - Captain Munnerlyn
5) Vet discount - Dumervil

Back