Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2017 Texans Free Agents/Salary Cap Situation: Where do we stand?

Man our division has added some serious talent. We better nail the draft.

Draft picks usually don't make an impact right away, may be just first couple rounds. Our injured players coming back healthy and making an impact is our hope, and the free agents from the other AFC south teams not making an impact will be nice, like Bouye and Simon

I don't think Barwin will come cheap. He played well for a Philly until they moved back to a 4-3 after firing Chip Kelly. He wasn't cut for lack of performance, more scheme fit.

Connor barwin would be an upgrade to Simon in both pass rush and coverage. The right price is the 2nd wave of free agency.

The TE's in this offense remind me of the saying, "In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king", The tight end production in 2015 was so bad it made the 2016 look good, the 2016 offensive production was so bad that it made average TE play a bright spot. Still think there is room for large improvement. Hopefully some of these glaring holes can be filled so there is some flexibility to grab one of the 5 or 6 guys who would be an upgrade down the line.

Actually the Texans TE production ranked in the top 5 in the league last season in receptions, yardage and TD's. So it was good, regardless of how bad 2015 ended up. As a unit, they played well above average. Even if they didn't have the single stud TE like some other teams, Fido was 15th in the league in receptions and Griffin was 18th, as the backup TE in a historically bad offense.

I am more than happy to run with Fido/Griffin/Anderson in the 2016 season. I get what you are saying about a good draft for TE's. But there are so many other glaring spots on this team that are positions of need, I can't see spending a draft pick other than on the last day for a TE.

Surprised the Texans didn't take a run at Nick Foles, who went back to Philly.

A lot of defensive line depth out in the market, with Poe, Long, Odrick, Hunt, and others.

This is confusing. Why Do we need another cornerback so bad??? Maybe they really are going to move Jackson to safety.

His "source" might have been John Lopez or McClain spit-ballin... who knows? Don't seem like a good idea to me

His "source" might have been John Lopez or McClain spit-ballin... who knows? Don't seem like a good idea to me
Especially in a really deep cornerback draft. There should be good ones available as late as the 4th or maybe even the 5th round. I was really hoping g to NAB Peterman in the second.

I'd like to see them give Dontari Poe a call, especially since Wilfork is looking to retire.
I agree. If this Romo drama drags on much further, I'd be okay with signing Cutler & letting him compete with Savage & Weedon for the starting job next year. Cutler should be a lot cheaper than Romo & he doesn't have the health issues Romo has. I'd then take a look at Poe, Hankins & some of the linbackers that are still out there. I believe we could use some additional depth at linebacker & a couple of the guys out there would allow us to be at least two deep at those positions.

Doesn't matter what happens with QB, we can afford Poe.
Yes, but there are other holes that can't be filled in the draft & letting a rival team within our own state hold us hostage & miss out on those free agents doesn't sit well with me. I'm more of a get-r-done kind of guy. I hate waiting. Lol

Report: Texans interested in Patriots RFA Butler, would deal 2nd-round pick
Dan Wilkins Mar 14, 2017 1:34 PM
Count another team in for the Malcolm Butler sweepstakes.

The Houston Texans have interest in the New England Patriots' restricted free-agent cornerback, and would be willing to trade a second-round pick if a long-term deal can be worked out, Eric Edholm of Yahoo Sports reports.

More to come.

Report: Texans interested in Patriots RFA Butler, would deal 2nd-round pick
Dan Wilkins Mar 14, 2017 1:34 PM
Count another team in for the Malcolm Butler sweepstakes.

The Houston Texans have interest in the New England Patriots' restricted free-agent cornerback, and would be willing to trade a second-round pick if a long-term deal can be worked out, Eric Edholm of Yahoo Sports reports.

More to come.

Surely they meant Garoppolo.

As much as I like Malcolm Butler and what he could bring us, I'm not thrilled with taking options away from how the draft could unfold. OL and QB in the first two, no matter how fortunate a scenario arises, would be just out of the cards now. Just inferior third option at best now at a position we could really use for a player at a position we don't really need in a draft deep with that position.

As much as I like Malcolm Butler and what he could bring us, I'm not thrilled with taking options away from how the draft could unfold. OL and QB in the first two, no matter how fortunate a scenario arises, would be just out of the cards now. Just inferior third option at best now at a position we could really use for a player at a position we don't really need in a draft deep with that position.

Agreed. I become more confused by the Texans' plan every day.

Last edited:
I agree. If this Romo drama drags on much further, I'd be okay with signing Cutler & letting him compete with Savage & Weedon for the starting job next year. Cutler should be a lot cheaper than Romo & he doesn't have the health issues Romo has. I'd then take a look at Poe, Hankins & some of the linbackers that are still out there. I believe we could use some additional depth at linebacker & a couple of the guys out there would allow us to be at least two deep at those positions.
I know Cutler is a head case and a notoriously lousy teammate but nevertheless he's got an incredible arm, certainly a better one than Romo has and like you say there's not the injury concern that one has with a Romo. For a one year contract if it's within reason I'd do it.

We weren't we in the UFA market but we're in the RFA market? NE picks up Butler's replacement in Gilmore, we give the Browns a 2nd to take OS off our hands and NE another 2nd for Butler? I'm beginning to regret my criticism of the critics on here.

Cutler is a cancer anywhere he does. I can't believe that anyone would want him on their roster.

We weren't we in the UFA market but we're in the RFA market? NE picks up Butler's replacement in Gilmore, we give the Browns a 2nd to take OS off our hands and NE another 2nd for Butler? I'm beginning to regret my criticism of the critics on here.

Giving up a 2nd rounder or even a 1st rounder for a top corner is not a bad deal at all.

However, since we just threw a 2nd rounder away and if we did this trade we'd still be without a real QB, then we'd just have thrown draft picks away without addressing the real need. Their only other approach at that point would have to be to stack the greatest defense this league has ever seen and just try to stop everybody and get TO's with short field winning the field goal game every week with a few occassional TD's mixed in.

Giving up a 2nd rounder or even a 1st rounder for a top corner is not a bad deal at all.

However, since we just threw a 2nd rounder away and if we did this trade we'd still be without a real QB, then we'd just have thrown draft picks away without addressing the real need. Their only other approach at that point would have to be to stack the greatest defense this league has ever seen and just try to stop everybody and get TO's with short field winning the field goal game every week with a few occassional TD's mixed in.

We could give up a pick for Butler and still give up a late pick for Romo......not sure I love that

With the upcoming draft loaded with DB talent, the Texans are trying to trade for Malcolm Butler for 2.57. WHY WHY WHY?

If they were smart, they'd be offering a bunch of money for Hightower, cut Cushing and draft a CB to replace Bouye.

LINK

With the upcoming draft loaded with DB talent, the Texans are trying to trade for Malcolm Butler for 2.57. WHY WHY WHY?

If they were smart, they'd be offering a bunch of money for Hightower, cut Cushing and draft a CB to replace Bouye.

LINK

I disagree somewhat. I would trade for Butler, but hope NE does it for less than a 1.

I would draft an ILB, I think the transition from college to pro is easier on a LB than it is a CB. Butler could come in and instantly help our secondary, allowing either JJo or Jackson to move to safety.

We could give up a pick for Butler and still give up a late pick for Romo......not sure I love that

I'd love to have Butler man. Pairing him for years with Johnson would give us one of the best CB tandems in the league.

However, it would be another 2nd round pick gone while we still have a horrible QB situation. I'm not sure that the Texans can afford to lose anymore picks unless they're trading them for a franchise QB. If they're going to roll the dice with rookie QB's they might as well draft a ton of them and hope one of them pans out which could take years. I think Romo is their best bet based on the corner they put themselves in. They can use him for a year or so and hope he stays away from a long term injury and still draft QB's to try and develop in the meanwhile.

I disagree somewhat. I would trade for Butler, but hope NE does it for less than a 1.

I would draft an ILB, I think the transition from college to pro is easier on a LB than it is a CB. Butler could come in and instantly help our secondary, allowing either JJo or Jackson to move to safety.

I understand your thinking, but we'd lack draft picks for a QB at that point, and they'd have to commit to trying to win a SB with all defense and running game and be happy and bold about it.

I'd love to have Butler man. Pairing him for years with Johnson would give us one of the best CB tandems in the league.

However, it would be another 2nd round pick gone while we still have a horrible QB situation. I'm not sure that the Texans can afford to lose anymore picks unless they're trading them for a franchise QB. If they're going to roll the dice with rookie QB's they might as well draft a ton of them and hope one of them pans out which could take years. I think Romo is their best bet based on the corner they put themselves in. They can use him for a year or so and hope he stays away from a long term injury and still draft QB's to try and develop in the meanwhile.
LB is an area of need moreso than CB, imo. Hightower is entering his prime, where Cush is past his. I'd likely agree with you if the Texans had a miniscule hope for landing Rueben Foster in the draft, but I seriously doubt that happens, Combine spat or not.

I understand your thinking, but we'd lack draft picks for a QB at that point, and they'd have to commit to trying to win a SB with all defense and running game and be happy and bold about it.

We could still trade for/sign Romo and draft a QB later (which we will do anyways)

We could still trade for/sign Romo and draft a QB later (which we will do anyways)

Yes, but we'd be out of a lot of picks to bolster the Oline and to draft young QB's to try and develop. I'm not saying we couldn't do it, because the thought of having Johnson/Butler at CB for several years is really sweet, but without a QB and hardly any draft picks to do a whole lot with could end up getting OB fired and a "rebuild" around the corner with a new regime. Headed into year 4 with OB, we'll need to get this QB situation figured out or he'll get fired after this season or next.

LB is an area of need moreso than CB, imo. Hightower is entering his prime, where Cush is past his. I'd likely agree with you if the Texans had a miniscule hope for landing Rueben Foster in the draft, but I seriously doubt that happens, Combine spat or not.

I agree with you about position of need, but finding a top flight CB is a lot harder to do than finding an effective LB. Hightower gets hurt a lot, and I don't think he'd be nearly as good as an investment for us as Butler would be. Butler is that good. CB isn't really a need at all, but if you could have Butler and Johnson for several years that would be something. Remember two recent SB teams were the Seahawks and the Broncos and two things that made them play at such great levels was their secondary. With our pass rush, we'd be able to stop teams from throwing the ball.

I agree with you about position of need, but finding a top flight CB is a lot harder to do than finding an effective LB. Hightower gets hurt a lot, and I don't think he'd be nearly as good as an investment for us as Butler would be. Butler is that good. CB isn't really a need at all, but if you could have Butler and Johnson for several years that would be something. Remember two recent SB teams were the Seahawks and the Broncos and two things that made them play at such great levels was their secondary. With our pass rush, we'd be able to stop teams from throwing the ball.
You make a good point, especially on the injury history. I'd like to hear CnD's prognosis.

I would love to have Hightower, but the injuries with him makes it difficult to really commit, its probably the one reason someone hasn't offered him 12M+ a year already.

C66KCWVVwAA_B1M.jpg:large

I really don't mind telling Dallas to kiss our ass and spending our money on some OL help (and even drafting there) and a FA QB like Chase Daniels or Matt McGloin (and even draft a QB) to compete with Savage.
1. Don't matter what QB we get if we can't keep an OL together for the majority of the season.
2. Savage can play if he has time.
3. Getting a player like Matt McGloin would be taking a QB from Oakland, he most likely knows the system since he's OB's boy from Penn St.
4. Chase Daniels can play too.
5. Then we can draft our 4th on the depth chart CB

The Texans join the Steelers and Bengals as the only 3 teams not to have signed any outside FAs.

The Steelers extended Antonio Brown and re-signed a handful of others

The Bengals re-signed Dre Kirkpatrick to a $10M+ per year contract and also re-signed Lafell (also others).

The Texans have re-signed Griffin for $3M per year and traded Osweiler for $10M extra in cap space. They are the least active team in FA, officially.

The Texans join the Steelers and Bengals as the only 3 teams not to have signed any outside FAs.

The Steelers extended Antonio Brown and re-signed a handful of others

The Bengals re-signed Dre Kirkpatrick to a $10M+ per year contract and also re-signed Lafell (also others).

The Texans have re-signed Griffin for $3M per year and traded Osweiler for $10M extra in cap space. They are the least active team in FA, officially.

This would be one reason why we want to get Butler. Plus he knows the defense.

Back