Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2017 Texans Free Agents/Salary Cap Situation: Where do we stand?

The Texans join the Steelers and Bengals as the only 3 teams not to have signed any outside FAs.

The Steelers extended Antonio Brown and re-signed a handful of others

The Bengals re-signed Dre Kirkpatrick to a $10M+ per year contract and also re-signed Lafell (also others).

The Texans have re-signed Griffin for $3M per year and traded Osweiler for $10M extra in cap space. They are the least active team in FA, officially.

This would be one reason why we want to get Butler. Plus he knows the defense.

The Texans join the Steelers and Bengals as the only 3 teams not to have signed any outside FAs.

The Bengals re-signed Dre Kirkpatrick to a $10M+ per year contract and also re-signed Lafell (also others).

The Texans have re-signed Griffin for $3M per year and traded Osweiler for $10M extra in cap space. They are the least active team in FA, officially.

At least "least active" means Ricky and Co. aren't out making more Asswater type signings.

I don't get this despair over not making a big splash in the F/A mkt.
The Texans hardly ever make a big splash in free agency. I think J.Jo and Daniel Manning in the same year was the biggest splash I can recall.

They've had some spectacular mishaps (Ed Reed, Osweiler, Ahman Green) and some pretty good successes (J-Jo, D. Manning, Antonio Smith (first time), Vonte Leach, Kevin Walter)

Someone correct me if I missed something.

The Texans hardly ever make a big splash in free agency. I think J.Jo and Daniel Manning in the same year was the biggest splash I can recall.

They've had some spectacular mishaps (Ed Reed, Osweiler, Ahman Green) and some pretty good successes (J-Jo, D. Manning, Antonio Smith (first time), Vonte Leach, Kevin Walter)

Be nice to see them acquire more talent?

Well, they made a big trade to acquire more space, so I think it's pretty fair to assume that people thought we'd be active. Combine that with the fact that we've got some pretty big needs for starters at tackle and safety, and more generally could add to our depth, and it's surprising.

When we made the Osweiler trade, I thought they were taking step 1 of a FA plan that would see us be an active participant.

They also re signed Lechler and Novak. Does that count?

Well, they made a big trade to acquire more space, so I think it's pretty fair to assume that people thought we'd be active. Combine that with the fact that we've got some pretty big needs for starters at tackle and safety, and more generally could add to our depth, and it's surprising.

When we made the Osweiler trade, I thought they were taking step 1 of a FA plan that would see us be an active participant.

I don't disagree with that statement at all .... Thing is , I think their first preference is being held hostage and they are hesitant to move on to plan B and run the risk of not having the cap space to make that happen once that hostage is released from the prison up in Dallas.

Jerrah is in no rush to help out the Texans and I could see him hanging onto Romo unless he needs the cap space for another player.

I just hope their plan B isn't Savage , Weeden and a Rookie otherwise they may as well have just cut Oswieler or kept him and not wasted a 2nd round pick it took to dump his contract.

Reactions: JB
I don't disagree with that statement at all .... Thing is , I think their first preference is being held hostage and they are hesitant to move on to plan B and run the risk of not having the cap space to make that happen once that hostage is released from the prison up in Dallas.

Jerrah is in no rush to help out the Texans and I could see him hanging onto Romo unless he needs the cap space for another player.

I just hope their plan B isn't Savage , Weeden and a Rookie otherwise they may as well have just cut Oswieler or kept him and not wasted a 2nd round pick it took to dump his contract.

I'm still hoping their plan A is something besides Romo

I'm still hoping their plan A is something besides Romo

What else is there ?! (aside from the beaten to death Garappolo)

Here's the free agent QB list from Spotrac: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/quarterback/

Aaron Murray
Culo Caepernick
Jay Cutler
Fitzy
RG3
Chase Daniel
Josh McCown
Keenum
Shaun Hill
Matt McGloin
EJ Manuel
Gabbert
Butt Fumble
Geno Smith
Josh Johnson
Christian Ponder
Thaddeus Lewis
TJ Yates
Kellen Moore
Ryan Nasib
David Fales
Bruce Gradkowski
Austin Davis
Charlie Whitehurst

Only about three guys on that list I would kick the tires on .... One of them is crazy , one of them is broken and the other one has been stuck behind really good QB's his entire career.

Chase Daniel might warrant interest?

Daniel has been stuck behind Drew Brees and Alex Smith for his entire career .... Of that FA list , he's the only one I'd really consider a possible multi year solution.

Oh I'm thinking something crazy, something out of the blue like trading for Rodgers or Luck or Stafford or Ryan...

Yeah , that's happening .....

Ron-Paul_Its-Happening1.gif

tumblr_mwquvhaWw71qgo0wuo1_400.gif

You could argue they overpaid for a guy who had virtually no interest in his services, should have gotten league minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could argue they overpaid for a guy who had virtually no interest in his services, should have gotten league minimum

Griffin? I don't think they overpaid for him, but I'm not sure it was necessary to re-sign him. Probably an indication that they don't have many targets.

I'd like to see them give Dontari Poe a call, especially since Wilfork is looking to retire.
I wonder if his back is an issue still. He's had a couple of workouts with teams that have a lot of cap space and didn't get an offer. So either he wants too much or he's not healthy.

I wonder if his back is an issue still. He's had a couple of workouts with teams that have a lot of cap space and didn't get an offer. So either he wants too much or he's not healthy.

I think he wants a multi-year deal but teams are worried about his injuries and are only offering 1-year.

Griffin? I don't think they overpaid for him, but I'm not sure it was necessary to re-sign him. Probably an indication that they don't have many targets.

3M a year is small in the big scheme, but he is basically closer to a league minimum player than 3M a year guy, If they were gonna spend that much on him I rather he walks and they pony up slightly more to keep Demps. Yes I know he's old but his play is above replacement level, I'm not sure Griffin's is.

Patriots win again. They re-signed Hightower today at $10M per year. He was looking for $12M per year on the market and apparently the Jets were the only team to offer that much but he choose less money to stay in NE.

Daniel has been stuck behind Drew Brees and Alex Smith for his entire career .... Of that FA list , he's the only one I'd really consider a possible multi year solution.

Wouldn't it be a better idea of getting someone who spent their entire career behind someone like Brady, or Peyton? Surely they'd provide a solution to the position for several years.

3M a year is small in the big scheme, but he is basically closer to a league minimum player than 3M a year guy, If they were gonna spend that much on him I rather he walks and they pony up slightly more to keep Demps. Yes I know he's old but his play is above replacement level, I'm not sure Griffin's is.

Griffin, as the backup to Fido, was 18th in the league for receptions among TE's. He had the same number of catches as Fleener. I don't know that many league minimum TE's catching 50 balls in a season.

6th rounder with above average production. $3 million per year. Don't have to spend a draft pick on TE. Sounds good to me.

Griffin, as the backup to Fido, was 18th in the league for receptions among TE's. He had the same number of catches as Fleener. I don't know that many league minimum TE's catching 50 balls in a season.

6th rounder with above average production. $3 million per year. Don't have to spend a draft pick on TE. Sounds good to me.

The guy was getting no interest from any other teams, the Texans basically bid against themselves. This is the year you want to grab a TE, this class is loaded, you can play it tougher in the negotiation because of this. A backup TE with questionable hands shouldn't be making 3M a year. With the signing bonus they essentially guaranteed his roster spot, there's no reason to lock him in. Comparing him to Fleener who was averaging 50% more y/c 12.6 vs 8.8, not even close to the impact. Griffin is JAG,
He can't bust a seam , not a red zone threat, and has so so hands, his blocking is just ok. What's the rush when there was no interest for him.

The guy was getting no interest from any other teams, the Texans basically bid against themselves.

Says who? You think every expression of interest, telephone call, heck even meeting gets reported?

FYI he got no signing bonus, he got a roster bonus, and all the guaranteed money is in year 1 so it is basically a 1 year deal with team options without any dead money.

Yes if his agent is worth anything he would loudly broadcast any and all interest in his client, it only helps him out in the end.

Yes if his agent is worth anything he would loudly broadcast any and all interest in his client, it only helps him out in the end.

Nice theory completely in the face of reality. Hundreds of players move each year, most with little or no information until they sign.

We aren't talking introducing a new phone to America. There's a fixed supply of players and a 32 team marketplace. They don't need a town square.

The guy was getting no interest from any other teams, the Texans basically bid against themselves. This is the year you want to grab a TE, this class is loaded, you can play it tougher in the negotiation because of this. A backup TE with questionable hands shouldn't be making 3M a year. With the signing bonus they essentially guaranteed his roster spot, there's no reason to lock him in. Comparing him to Fleener who was averaging 50% more y/c 12.6 vs 8.8, not even close to the impact. Griffin is JAG,
He can't bust a seam , not a red zone threat, and has so so hands, his blocking is just ok. What's the rush when there was no interest for him.

Because that's the Ricky McNair way.

I would've let Griffin walk and sign a guy like Beechum with that $$$$, after also cutting Newton/Allen. But what do I know.

And Fleener was drafted in what round? And how big is his contract? And where is he on the depth chart?

Back. Up. Griffin is the backup. How many #2 TE's had 50 receptions last season? We b!tch about depth, and yet here it is. We have a finite number of draft picks and a whole lot of cash. Heaven forbid they keep offensive depth with proven productivity in this system for a very low and reasonable contract instead of using a draft pick when there are so many glaring holes that need to be addressed.

I heard on 610 he got interest from a few teams, and supposedly, one team made a very strong push for him.

Take poe off the market

Sean M. Haffey / Getty Images Sport / Getty
Falcons, Dontari Poe agree to reported 1-year, $8M deal
Dan Wilkins Mar 16, 2017 11:58 AM
The defending NFC champions are making a major splash on the defensive side of the ball a week into free agency.

After a series of visits with potential suitors, former Kansas City Chiefs defensive tackle Dontari Poe has agreed to terms with the Atlanta Falcons, the team announced Thursday.

Poe heads to Atlanta on a one-year, $8-million contract that can be worth a total of $10 million with incentives, ESPN's Adam Schefter reports, citing a source.

Poe had met with the Miami Dolphins, Indianapolis Colts, and Jacksonville Jaguars on his extended free-agency tour.

Used primarily as a run-stopper toward the end of his time with the Chiefs, Poe should have an opportunity to showcase his abilities as an interior pass-rusher in Atlanta's 4-3 defense.

Should he recapture the production that saw him tally a total of 10.5 sacks from 2013-14, the 26-year-old would likely be in line for a lucrative multi-year deal when he again tests the market next offseason.

Poe started 76 games across five seasons after landing with the Chiefs as the No. 11 overall pick in the 2012 draft. He now joins breakout pass-rusher Vic Beasley and Super Bowl standout Grady Jarrett as a key cog on Atlanta's defensive front.

raw

I dont mind not spending stupid money in free agency ,but I thought we might TRY to improve this team.

Powda there has to be a free agent available that can help Texans & that wants to sign with us to better the team. We got burned on vet free agents last off season so being cautious is fine with me. It took years to get out of salary cap quick sand so I see no need to rush back in. Seems like Texans trinity [McNair, Smith and O'Brien] are playing solid poker on Romo whether we as fans agree, like or dislike the player. If Romo cannot pick up offense in TC and preseason, he might not be QB we need.

Powda there has to be a free agent available that can help Texans & that wants to sign with us to better the team. We got burned on vet free agents last off season so being cautious is fine with me. It took years to get out of salary cap quick sand so I see no need to rush back in. Seems like Texans trinity [McNair, Smith and O'Brien] are playing solid poker on Romo whether we as fans agree, like or dislike the player. If Romo cannot pick up offense in TC and preseason, he might not be QB we need.

I have no doubt there are plenty of free agents who can help us. I just doubt we can find them.

I dont mind the starring contest for romo. Time is on our side (even if i dont think he's the solution.)

I just feel like our d has a small window. Ob has a small window. I thought we'd be a bit more active then we have been.

All in all, yawn.

Oday Aboushi has signed with the Seahawks per Rotoworld

We had 1 good OG on this team that offered interior depth and instead of starting him, they let him walk. They're letting an already bad O-line get even worse. What kinda nuts are running this funny farm?

Back