Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2017 Texans Free Agents/Salary Cap Situation: Where do we stand?

Fine with Demps leaving, wouldn't have been worth 4.5M a year especially if he was looking for a three year deal.

Fine with Demps leaving, wouldn't have been worth 4.5M a year especially if he was looking for a three year deal.

$4.5M is nothing.

I think Demps & Hal has been our best safety tandem since Quin & Pollard. Still in need of an upgrade.

Personally, I'd have tried to find a way to fit $4.5M/yr deal under our cap, unless I'm targeting a badass safety at 25.

$4.5M is nothing.

I think Demps & Hal has been our best safety tandem since Quin & Pollard. Still in need of an upgrade.

Personally, I'd have tried to find a way to fit $4.5M/yr deal under our cap, unless I'm targeting a badass safety at 25.
He was a decent Safety nothing more. It is more a fact that he was probably looking for a three year deal, he's 31 now and giving him an average of 4.5M for that time wouldn't have been the best IMO.

I does look like we are losing Demps, Bouye and Simon which is never great losing three role players from a defence

He was a decent Safety nothing more. It is more a fact that he was probably looking for a three year deal, he's 31 now and giving him an average of 4.5M for that time wouldn't have been the best IMO.

I does look like we are losing Demps, Bouye and Simon which is never great losing three role players from a defence

Good teams lose good players in FA and then reload in the draft. Time for our FO to pass the litmus test.

It's suspect because we lost our UDFA #4 CB and an oft released 31 yr old safety? You don't think they can be replaced?

Anybody can be replaced.

Can Ricky replace them adequately?

You've got more faith than most

Who knows Ricky may get lucky

Again, $4.5M is nothing. I'd be interested in the terms of the contract. NFL contracts are mostly not guaranteed & I can't imagine a guaranteed number on a $4.5M/yr deal that would give me heartburn. Individually I agree with you. I don't think he's anything special. But the special guys don't sign $4.5M/yr deals.

He worked for what we want to do. That's pretty important. Especially considering how bad our safety play has been. Next to QB I think it's been the most ignored over the life of this franchise.

Maybe this coaching staff is different... I could buy that argument. Maybe they see Demps replacement in Dillon... I could buy that as well.

But to act like dropping $4.5M/yr on Quintin Demps is backing up the Brinks truck... I'm not buying it.

So FA is 'officially' about to start. Here's how the O-Line group looks so far...

OT
Andrew Whitworth (Bengals) - Signed with Rams; reportedly 3 yrs, $36M
Matt Kalil (Vikings) - Signed with Panthers; reportedly $11M per year
Ricky Wagner (Ravens) - Signed with Lions; reportedly $9M per year (highest paid RT in NFL)

OG
Kevin Zeitler (Bengals) - Signed with Browns; reportedly 5 yrs, $60M (highest paid OG in NFL)
Ronald Leary (Cowboys) - Signed with Broncos; reportedly $8M per year
Larry Warford (Lions) - Signed with Saints; compensation unknown (likely $8-9M per year)

That's a lot of money being throw around. Yes we've missed out on the top guys but I'd much rather throw my hat into this second tier and try for better market value. Guys like Riley Reiff are still major upgrades over Newton/Clark.

I feel like normally the Texans approach is to let the silly money fly around before getting to work finding value.

Not expecting anything significant for a few days.

With Brock gone that gives us +10M in cap space, so i am assuming we have 32M to spend. What about the 16M they say we got in cash after the trade ? who keeps that.......McNair in his pocket ???

Edit : OverTheCap just updated Texans to 31.5M. We are #15 on the list

Last edited:
With Brock gone that gives us +10M in cap space, so i am assuming we have 32M to spend. What about the 16M they say we got in cash after the trade ? who keeps that.......McNair in his pocket ???
Who is "they"? You got a link? All I've seen is the Browns and Texans swapped 4ths and 6ths and we gave up a 2nd in 2018.
Didn't see anything about cash being transferred.

Well, the $10M in cap space you mention is part of that, so if they bring in more or more expensive free agents (compared to what would have happened had Brock been kept or cut), that's where the cash savings is going.

Who is "they"? You got a link? All I've seen is the Browns and Texans swapped 4ths and 6ths and we gave up a 2nd in 2018.
Didn't see anything about cash being transferred.

The Texans, meanwhile, save $16 million in cash and $10 million in cap space that they can potentially use on signing a new quarterback like, say, Tony Romo. on NFL.com

Edit : OverTheCap just updated Texans to 31.5M. We are #15 on the list

They spend it on new players instead of Oz.

So from the $31M we can estimate that they need to hold back $8-9M, leaving roughly $22M for FA signings. One signing they need to prioritize is Simon, as well as, possibly, two OL'men. These three could be estimated as costing roughly $10-12M. We could marginally afford to sign Romo, but is it smart? If Romo goes down, as most predict, Savage becomes #1 and our draft pick becomes #2. If we are in a win now mode, is this desirable? Also, Savage will likely be gone next year and will need to be replaced, if he's not the starter this coming season. We need to find out what we have in Savage to set a value on his resigning next year. Signing Romo can paint us into a corner going into 2018. Or do we just look at the short term?

So from the $31M we can estimate that they need to hold back $8-9M, leaving roughly $22M for FA signings. One signing they need to prioritize is Simon, as well as, possibly, two OL'men. These three could be estimated as costing roughly $10-12M. We could marginally afford to sign Romo, but is it smart? If Romo goes down, as most predict, Savage becomes #1 and our draft pick becomes #2. If we are in a win now mode, is this desirable? Also, Savage will likely be gone next year and will need to be replaced, if he's not the starter this coming season. We need to find out what we have in Savage to set a value on his resigning next year. Signing Romo can paint us into a corner going into 2018. Or do we just look at the short term?
2018 will never get here!
paint+into+corner.jpg

We can also save $7 million cutting JJo; $3 million cutting Newton;$3 million cutting.Tony Bergstrom
Yes, but with the exception of Newton, who I do expect is gone, anyone we cut will have to be replaced. We've already lost two of our DB starters, who will have to be replaced. Although possible, I don't expect JJo to be released. Bergstrom? Possibly.

One thing I hope the Texans do with this newfound cap space is extend Hopkins long term.
I agree. I forgot to add this into my calculation. Signing Hopkins to a new contract might remove $2-5M more from our cap. Signing Romo is becoming harder.

I agree. I forgot to add this into my calculation. Signing Hopkins to a new contract might remove $2-5M more from our cap. Signing Romo is becoming harder.
Yes, but with the exception of Newton, who I do expect is gone, anyone we cut will have to be replaced. We've already lost two of our DB starters, who will have to be replaced. Although possible, I don't expect JJo to be released. Bergstrom? Possibly.

Well, We don't have to sign a free agent to replace Bergstrom. He was passed on the depth chart this season by a train of UDFAs.

Now there's plenty of cap space to get things done.

Unfortunately all of the FA OT's are gone.

I would sign EFA (2nd rd tender Ty Nsekhe) a really good player with high upside. Unfortunately he's 31 yrs old. 6'8 330 Lbs. A huge man, playing LT allowed 1 sack in 4 games.

Signing Hopkins will either not effect the cap or actually add some money back, if they do an extension the figure doesn't change, if they do a new deal they can structure the deal to have a smaller cap hit than his current 8M. There are also some easy cuts to make Bergstrom, Weeden, Pleasant about 5M there. There is more than enough room to sign Romo plus a few more FA.

Well, We don't have to sign a free agent to replace Bergstrom. He was passed on the depth chart this season by a train of UDFAs.
There's a lot of possibilities the finances can be tweaked if necessary. The sense I get is that the team will make an effort to sign Romo under the right circumstances. I'm not convinced it's the right thing to do. Romo's health and availability is my concern.

Now there's plenty of cap space to get things done.

Unfortunately all of the FA OT's are gone.

I would sign EFA (2nd rd tender Ty Nsekhe) a really good player with high upside. Unfortunately he's 31 yrs old. 6'8 330 Lbs. A huge man, playing LT allowed 1 sack in 4 games.

Yeah most are gone but some serviceable guys left Beachum, Clady, Fluker (G/T), Vollmer, Smith

...There is more than enough room to sign Romo plus a few more FA.
At this point we just don't know what his demands will be or what concessions he might be willing to give to stay in the state. Does he want the big payout? Or will he give a home state discount?

If I remember correctly, the Mad Radio guys (not capologists of course) were saying that we can gain 5 mil or so by extending hopkins.

He counts 9 mil or so against the cap now. We can lower his first year salary and make up the rest in signing bonus, which is spread over the next few years. Don't remember specifics but maybe a capologist can eloborate or correct.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Back