Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2015 College Football Season General Thread

People make mistakes. A DUI can change your life pretty significantly, at least in the short term. I think he's well sheltered against most of the ill effects. I hope he learns from it.

People make mistakes. A DUI can change your life pretty significantly, at least in the short term. I think he's well sheltered against most of the ill effects. I hope he learns from it.
I do too.

Unfortunately, many only learn those lessons when they are no longer sheltered from the ill effects. And some never learn those lessons and wreak havoc on themselves and those around them.

I'm glad the 'kids will be kids' and 'drunks are funny' mindsets popular in my youth are changing, at least with many.

Bama beats LSU today, imo. A&M beats Auburn. Not sure what other games are going on right now

Not sure I have the guts to bet against either of those but I think they'll both be close.

I think LSU abuses Coker, but not sure if they have enough to win.

A&M offense should have their way with Auburn. But I don't think their D matches up. Could be a shootout.

Anyone watching Clemson/FSU keep an eye on the 'Noles #24 Terrance Smith. I think he'd make a great OLB/Nickelbacker hybrid we could get mid-late rounds.

Not sure I have the guts to bet against either of those but I think they'll both be close.

I think LSU abuses Coker, but not sure if they have enough to win.

A&M offense should have their way with Auburn. But I don't think their D matches up. Could be a shootout.

A&M only shows up to play D in the 4th quarter. I think the stat was they've only given up 3 points in the 4th quarter all season. I'd be willing to be that 2nd half statistic is likely very small too.

That being said, I think it'll be tight for about 3 quarters before A&M pulls away.

I'd like to see Brandon Harris throw it around a little against Bama. Fournette is crazy good but I don't think he can singlehandedly win this game for LSU.

Anyone watching Clemson/FSU keep an eye on the 'Noles #24 Terrance Smith. I think he'd make a great OLB/Nickelbacker hybrid we could get mid-late rounds.
Yes, I am, always impressed with how Jimbo Fisher teams play so well in all three phases of the game.but it's about Paxton Lynch time.

Fournette was actually a liability for most the game tonight. Passing up holes to bounce outside looking for the home run. Alabama D is too good for that. LSU offense just doesn't have much else though.

Henry was the superior back tonight. He had one run in the 4th quarter when he had more broken tackles and yards after contact than Fournette did all night.

The Tide stacked the DL with extra beef to ensure Fournette wouldn't beat them. LSU should have used Fournette as a decoy for quick strikes. The passing game was there but as always it's a weakness for LSU. Better team definitely won.

Bama dominated the trenches on both sides off the ball. Just shows that you can't beat them by playing their game. Georgia and LSU consistently get whacked by Bama by trying to play their game. Meanwhile, Ole Miss gives them fits every time out because they spread the field and neutralize that stout front-seven. Ohio State did the same thing. You have to play on the edges against them. Can't play in the middle of the field. They are too good. LSU actually had some good success with the deep ball last night but they only threw like 4 of them yet still launched Fournette into that front-seven 20 times.

Now, TCU, Stanford, Oklahoma, Michigan (and St.), Florida could all throw wrenches in the remaining games of course, but as of now the field looks somewhat trimmed with about 8 or so teams fighting for the big four spots between now and December 5th.

So, barring any odd upsets it looks like ...

Clemson - should get there
Ohio State/Iowa winner - should likely get there
Baylor/Oklahoma St. winner - should likely get there

This leaves Alabama or Notre Dame. Bama has better W's but a worse L. If the Irish can clobber Stanford they look solid. But then, no SEC team?

Still a lot of ball left to be played. Personally, I think the Big 12 teams are all going to knock each other off and we will be going into the final week with Clemson and Ohio State as the only two undefeated. Also, if Bama wins out there is zero chance they get left out. The committee had them in the top 4 even before the LSU game.

Still a lot of ball left to be played. Personally, I think the Big 12 teams are all going to knock each other off and we will be going into the final week with Clemson and Ohio State as the only two undefeated. Also, if Bama wins out there is zero chance they get left out. The committee had them in the top 4 even before the LSU game.

If Ohio St, Clemson, and either Baylor/OkSt., and Notre Dame win out ... just sayin', then a home loss to a skunky Ole Miss team all of a sudden looks pretty bad. It would be far and away the biggest black eye on all the teams vying for a spot. I think an argument can easily be made that the committee will feel somewhat indebted to another undefeated Big 12 team, and Notre Dame is no less a darling come final four time than 'Bama.

Agreed completely though that there's still a lot of ball left to be played and plenty of room for unexpected chips to fall. And I'm making this argument partially from the fact that I want to see Saban have a coronary at being left out of the dance. That and the SEC being left out entirely may actually be enough to put Paul Finebaum in the looney bin. Those things would make for a very merry college football christmas.

Bama doesn't have to work as hard to get in as other schools. They have at least a one game advantage and probably a two game advantage over any other team. This time of the year they should be no better than 6th after their loss. Any other team would stay where they are and LSU would get knocked down, but because it was Bama, it's assumed that the win was against a better opponent. Such assumptions do not happen when other teams beat opponents.

Bama doesn't have to work as hard to get in as other schools. They have at least a one game advantage and probably a two game advantage over any other team. This time of the year they should be no better than 6th after their loss. Any other team would stay where they are and LSU would get knocked down, but because it was Bama, it's assumed that the win was against a better opponent. Such assumptions do not happen when other teams beat opponents.

Which is why I say there is zero chance they get left out if they win out. They were the highest ranked 1-loss team and ranked over 5 undefeated teams before the LSU win.

The winner of the SEC will be allowed in no matter what, even with two losses. The system is skewed in their favor.

Clemson gets in if they win out.
Ohio St/Iowa get in if one wins out.
Alabama/Florida get in automatically.

The last spot is the only one up for debate. Undefeated Big XII gets in. But I don't think that will happen. So Notre Dame/Stanford winner will get in if they win out.

What will be really interesting is if Stanford beats Notre Dame but then loses to Utah. You would almost have to put Utah in but I would bet they get left out because of where they started preseason, which is the real problem with the whole system.

The winner of the SEC will be allowed in no matter what, even with two losses. The system is skewed in their favor.

Clemson gets in if they win out.
Ohio St/Iowa get in if one wins out.
Alabama/Florida get in automatically.

The last spot is the only one up for debate. Undefeated Big XII gets in. But I don't think that will happen. So Notre Dame/Stanford winner will get in if they win out.

What will be really interesting is if Stanford beats Notre Dame but then loses to Utah. You would almost have to put Utah in but I would bet they get left out because of where they started preseason, which is the real problem with the whole system.

I don't disagree, but a 1 loss Florida team getting in would be controversial. With Harris at QB, they barely beat a Vanderbilt team that Houston obliterated 34-0. Although, wins against FSU and Alabama to finish the season would make a large statement.

Last edited:
This Indiana RB #8 Jordan Howard is playing his heart out. He has some speed and is running over Michigan's defense.

JJ Watt at the Houston/Memphis game. I honestly don't know whether we wants to be seen or really is interested in the showdown (if you will). One thing is sure, it beats "making it rain" and all the horrible things that go with it.

Alright. 10-0 Tigers. Based on the season so far I'm not overly concerned. Houston has practically made it a tradition to make a strong showing late. But I'd be lying if said I'm not concerned at all.

Oh, just a side thought. If a receiver can catch an easy 3rd down pass just beyond the line that would freaking help.

Jordan Howard has gone from relative unknown to likely 2nd/3rd round pick.

At least UAB shutting their program down worked out for somebody.

Jordan Howard has gone from relative unknown to likely 2nd/3rd round pick.

At least UAB shutting their program down worked out for somebody.

Bruuuuh, he was running like a madman! He definitely put his name out there with his performance.

It figures. I got too sleepy to stay up watching a game down by twenty. Woke up this morning to see the Cougars scored 21 unanswered late 4th quarter points.

13 vacancies in college football now with certainly more to come...

Central Florida
Hawaii
Illinois
Iowa State
Louisiana-Monroe
Maryland
Miami
Missouri
North Texas
South Carolina
Syracuse
USC
Virginia Tech

i love how Ohio State lost one game, and now all the players wanna quit. looks like having two offensive play callers was a bad idea after all.

i love how Ohio State lost one game, and now all the players wanna quit. looks like having two offensive play callers was a bad idea after all.
I think losing was a bad idea. The number of play callers is only as important as it's result on the field.

So, I'm watching the Baylor - TCU game. The rule is EVEN THOUGH YOUR FEET ARE INSIDE THE PYLON THE FOOTBALL IS ALL THAT MATTERS? This is why the NHL rules. No special rules depending on where you are or how much time is on the clock.

TCU scored anyway, but I disagree with the rule if that is indeed the rule. I'm not even pulling for TCU, but a score is a score.

Penn State's offensive line is outgunned almost every week, but their offensive design and playcalling is horrific. I mean, those coaches should be running laps and doing pushups until Valentine's Day. They regularly can't even get the playcall in on time. Sheesh.

Edit: That two point conversion was the best play design I've seen them make... all season.

What a night if you hate Notre Dame like I do. They got a BS call that should have cost Stanford the game but lost anyway. Lovin that.

Coaching Vacancies...

Central Florida
Georgia
Hawaii - Nick Rolovich (Nevada OC)
Illinois - Bill Cubit (Illinois OC)
Iowa State - Matt Campbell (Toledo HC)

Louisiana-Monroe
Maryland
Miami
Memphis
Minnesota - Tracy Claeys (Minnesota OC)
Missouri
North Texas
Rutgers
South Carolina
Syracuse
Toledo
Tulane
USC
Virginia
Virginia Tech - Justin Fuente (Memphis HC)

Updated

Last edited:
my early guess is Richt goes to Miami and the best coach available who enjoys golf goes to South Carolina.

He is an alum so its certainly possible. I wouldn't be surprised if he took a year off though. Mentally he probably needs it. He had been on the UGA hot seat for 4-5 years now. That's a lot of stress to handle for such a long period of time.

FWIW, Mario Cristobal (Alabama OL Coach) seems to be the front runner for Miami job but obviously that was before Richt became available.

FWIW, Mario Cristobal (Alabama OL Coach) seems to be the front runner for Miami job but obviously that was before Richt became available.
I only mention Richt to Miami because Richt played QB for the Hurricanes. Although he was 5 -10 vs Florida at Georgia so that might be his undoing at Miami. Holtz and Spurrier went to South Carolina because of the Augusta National connection.

Last edited:
So if not for the Arkansas 4th & 25 conversion in OT and the Florida 4th & 14 conversion with 90 seconds left in regulation, the SEC Championship this weekend would be Ole Miss vs Tennessee.

Just goes to show how far the overall level of play in the SEC has fallen over the years.

Back