Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2015 College Football Season General Thread

Aggies get a comfortable win against Mississippi State. Offense disappeared after halftime but defense played a complete game... never thought I'd say that about a Kevin Sumlin team!

Is Florida legit?

I didn't like the way Sumlin ran the program when he first got there. His teams were undisciplined and he let them freelance too much without reigning them in. That creates a fun atmosphere for the kids but things can go off the rail quickly because it leaves you without someone who can take control and redirect the focus of the team when necessary.

But over time he seems to have ironically taken the best qualities of Mack Brown and is starting to create something there. He's hired top coaches to coach the kids and call the plays, and he's taken a step back, got out of the way, and just oversees the program in a CEO type role. Very impressed with the direction of the program.

As for Florida, they barely beat ECU, Kentucky, and Tennessee. I really like their new coach as well and think he has them headed in the right direction. But they aren't legit yet.

They have a trap game at Missouri next week, followed by a trip to LSU and a neutral game against Georgia. They could lose all three. They also have Florida St to close out the season. I see them finishing 9-3. Good year for a rebuilding team.

But it all works out for the SEC. Whoever beats them will be automatically vaulted into the top five regardless of what they've done against the rest of their schedule.

I didn't like the way Sumlin ran the program when he first got there. His teams were undisciplined and he let them freelance too much without reigning them in. That creates a fun atmosphere for the kids but things can go off the rail quickly because it leaves you without someone who can take control and redirect the focus of the team when necessary.

But over time he seems to have ironically taken the best qualities of Mack Brown and is starting to create something there. He's hired top coaches to coach the kids and call the plays, and he's taken a step back, got out of the way, and just oversees the program in a CEO type role. Very impressed with the direction of the program.

I call that the Johnny Effect :)

In all seriousness, though, after the Kenny Hill debacle last season I think the team began to trend in the right direction.

Agree on Florida. LSU is going to be tough to beat for anyone. On paper, it's easy enough: shut down Fournette, make Harris throw. When you actually have to stop Fournette... that's a whole different ballgame.

They have a trap game at Missouri next week, followed by a trip to LSU and a neutral game against Georgia. They could lose all three. They also have Florida St to close out the season. I see them finishing 9-3. Good year for a rebuilding team.

But it all works out for the SEC. Whoever beats them will be automatically vaulted into the top five regardless of what they've done against the rest of their schedule.

QFT, it all works out for the SEC. Ole Miss jumps up a ridiculous amount after one game, now Florida has done the same, ranked 11th. Gotta have x amount of SEC teams in the rankings, it's in the contract.

Nobody should worry about the FSU game though, FSU has a good team but you only go as far as your QB. Golson sucks, can't read a defense and panics under pressure. We'll lose a few.

WR D'haquille Williams dismissed from Auburn after punching 3 staff members and a patron in a bar fight he and his friends instigated. This comes after being suspended by HC Gus Malzahn multiple times over the last year or so.

I liked him more than Sammy Coates last year but it sounds like he will go undrafted this year because of character issues.

WR D'haquille Williams dismissed from Auburn after punching 3 staff members and a patron in a bar fight he and his friends instigated. This comes after being suspended by HC Gus Malzahn multiple times over the last year or so.

I liked him more than Sammy Coates last year but it sounds like he will go undrafted this year because of character issues.

I bet this doesn't happen if Auburn was actually winning. Easy to clean house when there's not much on the line

Should be an interesting week to QB watch.

Thursday
Washington vs #17 USC (8:00pm)
- We get a look at Cody Kessler against a pretty stout Husky defense that was only giving up 175 pass yards per game before Jared Goff torched them for 342 yards and 2 TD's two weeks ago. However, the Huskies are working off a bye week to prepare for Kessler and stud WR JuJu smith.

Friday
NC State vs Virginia Tech (7:00pm)
- I'm not all that high on Jacoby Brissett as far as being an NFL prospect goes, but a good outing against a solid VT back-seven could give his stock a boost. Brissett is completing 73% of his passes this year with 7 TD's and 0 INT's (against weak competition). The Hokies are only giving up 158 pass yards per game but will be without star CB Kendall Fuller (knee) for the rest of the year.

Saturday
Miami vs #12 Florida State (7:00pm)
- Brad Kaaya goes against a stout FSU defense that is only giving up 141 pass yards per game at just 4.5 yards per attempt. Unfortunately, Kaaya is not draft eligible this year but is looking like a kid who will be in the 1st round conversation in 2017. This will be a great opportunity to check in on the sophomore's progress.

#23 Cal vs #5 Utah (9:00pm)
- The main event as far as I'm concerned. Jared Goff faces off against a Utah defense that is 11th in the country in Takeaways and has had a full bye week to prepare for Goff after demolishing Oregon two weeks ago. This is the first game in a tough stretch of games against Utah, UCLA, USC, and Oregon that will determine whether or not Cal is for real this year. Goff is completing 70% of his passes this year with 15 TD's and 4 INT's.

Only caught the 4th quarter of the USC/Washington game because of Texans game but the results were pretty bad. Kessler had good pocket movement and got the ball out quick but nobody was open and he didn't make any wow throws at all. He didn't throw guys open or make plays. I said a while back that I thought he was a game manager but a very good one at that. Someone who can sit back and distribute the ball to his playmakers. I didn't see that last night. I saw a guy who was a hindrance to his offense and seeing that just after watching the Texans game really turned me off of him.

Final numbers from the game...

16/29 for 156 yards and 2 INT

On the bright side, may teams continue falling in love with all the Cardale Jones' of the football world as to shove the legit prospects on down the board.

Throw in a workout warrior pass rusher, a buffalo wing fetish DT, and a couple wide receivers who can't spell wide receiver and we'll be sitting pretty.
exactly what I am hoping for!

Hackenberg is going to be damaged goods by time he is drafted. My biggest worry is he and Cook WILL fool scouts, GMs , coaches with good workouts, prodays, and combine performances. Don't be fooled by Caradele Jones even if he is the QB for the top ranked Buckeyes.

This is just comical at this point. Ohio State is now pulling Jones when they get into the red zone and inserting the backup. I just don't get it. Why Jones is starting at this point is beyond me.

I'm so freaking hyped for Bama-A&M this weekend. Sitting in the middle of second deck near the south end zone 40. ****'s gonna be real, and it's gonna be loud.

BEAT THE HELL OUTTA BAMA!

Reactions: TD
Memphis JR QB Paxton Lynch off to a decent start against Ole Miss. Got his guys up 17-14 nearing halftime. 15/21 for 149 yards and a TD. He also threw his first INT of the season but I'm not even counting it. Slant route that just bounced off a WRs hands up into the air. Throw was solid and on target, the guy just lost it.

Ole Miss DT Nkemdiche likely just got a concussion playing FB. They probably won't have him in the second half. Possible upset alert.

Memphis up 24-14 now at halftime.

Lynch can play. 19/26 for 191 and 2 TDs. He's missed high a few times when he's tried to put too much on the ball to fit it into a spot. But he has a NFL arm for sure. He's accurate too and can put touch on the ball when he needs to.

The last two plays of the final series perfectly demonstrated what he is capable of. Hits a 15 yard out with a frozen rope right at the sideline. Next play, he's rolling left and puts the TD pass between two defenders where only his receiver can get it.

You're not gonna be able to judge his mental abilities in this offense. But the arm talent is there.

Memphis up 24-14 now at halftime.

Lynch can play. 19/26 for 191 and 2 TDs. He's missed high a few times when he's tried to put too much on the ball to fit it into a spot. But he has a NFL arm for sure. He's accurate too and can put touch on the ball when he needs to.

The last two plays of the final series perfectly demonstrated what he is capable of. Hits a 15 yard out with a frozen rope right at the sideline. Next play, he's rolling left and puts the TD pass between two defenders where only his receiver can get it.

You're not gonna be able to judge his mental abilities in this offense. But the arm talent is there.
I am watching this game but have been more focused on Ole Miss CB #1 Tony Bridges who has caught my eye.

OK so I am watching Texas A&M Bama on the TV, watching Carson Wentz, Joe Haeg and NDSU on the PC ESPN 360 and Mich St and Connor Cook recording on the DVR.

I think it's time to put an end to this targeting rule in college. I applaud the effort to make the game safer but the rule is just an absolute joke. 99% of the time they call it there is no intent on the player's part but they eject him anyway even after review.

Kid for Michigan just got ejected for being blocked into a pile and landing on the QB.

Abolish the targeting rule and just give the referees the ability to eject players for obviously malicious plays.

I think it's time to put an end to this targeting rule in college. I applaud the effort to make the game safer but the rule is just an absolute joke. 99% of the time they call it there is no intent on the player's part but they eject him anyway even after review.

Kid for Michigan just got ejected for being blocked into a pile and landing on the QB.

Abolish the targeting rule and just give the referees the ability to eject players for obviously malicious plays.

It's been horribly implemented. I've seen FSU players and then opponents of FSU players ejected every single game and I can only remember one of those being a legit call. I saw the Michigan call. It's really been poorly implemented.

The Miracle at Michigan part II? Holy crap.

That might be the craziest play I have ever seen, crazier than the Auburn - Alabama game a few years ago. Atleast I saw that one coming, I even said aloud "they should watch for a return here," prior to it happening. This one was a complete shock and had everybody speechless.

Last edited:
Most brutal loss I've ever witnesses as a Michigan fan. I'd rather lose to Appalachian State again than be on the precipice of beating a hated rival and completely blowing it in the last 10 seconds.

Cardale Jones officially benched for J.T. Barrett. I'm not sure why it took Urban so long to see what was so obvious. The guy is a one-dimensional player. Big body and big arm but has no accuracy and can't read a book much less a defense. Hopefully this will finally shut down this clown show that has had him propped up as a 1st/2nd round pick.

Urban stated the decision came down to red zone play, where Barrett has completed 84% of his passes this year while Jones has completed just 33%.

Most brutal loss I've ever witnesses as a Michigan fan. I'd rather lose to Appalachian State again than be on the precipice of beating a hated rival and completely blowing it in the last 10 seconds.

My condolences. I can only try to imagine. I would pull a certain Cotton Bowl as my example, but the one you saw was lightning quick. Maybe mine was worse, No matter. My condolences. We've all been there.

As a Spartan fan, that was the biggest adrenaline rush of all time. Sorry to you WolverineFan, but because of all the Jesus Harbaugh talk, I'm very pleased that it happened to Michigan.

No trash talk intended personally to you, just tired of the Harbaughmania.

As a Spartan fan, that was the biggest adrenaline rush of all time. Sorry to you WolverineFan, but because of all the Jesus Harbaugh talk, I'm very pleased that it happened to Michigan.

No offense taken, but I hope you're not burnt out on Harbaughmania already. It's only going to get worse as time goes on.

That's true. He's just getting started. (Mania-wise, and coaching-wise)

His best years as a coach at Michigan are obviously all in front of him.

http://www.campusrush.com/trevone-boykin-abby-faber-iowa-state-cyclones-1418368563.html

980x.jpg

Reactions: TD

I have a bit of an emotional attachment to both schools. The Spartans put the kibosh on a pipeline project I worked for and my ex went to Michigan.

GO SPARTANS!

If you are not watching Indiana at Michigan State, you are wrong. Great showing by two of the best QBs available in next years draft. 2nd half starting now.

Travis Wilson is doing his best to ensure that Utah loses to USC tonight.

Devontae Booker trying to carry the team but he can only do so much when the QB play is this awful.

The Noles lost. I can't say I'm surprised. The offense has been playing not to lose since the team entered ACC play. Golson isn't a QB with which you win anything of real significance. Heartbreaking type of loss, but I was prepared to lose to one of these average ACC teams.

I guess J.T. Barrett has finally had enough now that he is firmly the starting QB again (should have been the whole time)...

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2015/10/ohio_state_qb_jt_barrett_i_gue.html

Ask J.T. Barrett about throwing the deep ball, and he has an answer.

An answer that he's been saving.

There's not much that needs to be added to what Ohio State's starting quarterback said Wednesday after practice during the Buckeyes' bye week. Here's what I asked, followed by what he said. In all, it took three minutes for Barrett to unburden himself.

"We talked so much about the deep ball when Cardale (Jones) was the starter. We know you can throw it, too. How much do you want that to be part of the offense and how much do you need it to be part of the offense?"

Here he goes, Barrett never angry, but exasperated. Not yelling, sometimes laughing, definitely explaining.

"I mean, that's the thing, it really didn't change with Cardale in the game. And it didn't when I played last year. Last year when I was playing, how many deep balls did I throw to Devin (Smith)? All the deep balls that we had were to Devin and I threw them. But I guess since I'm not 6-5 and 250 that I didn't have a strong arm or something. I don't know what that was about.

(Note: Cardale Jones is 6-5 and 250 pounds. Barrett is 6-2 and 225.)

"Nothing changed when I got hurt. Cardale was throwing the balls to Devin Smith, who was a great deep ball catcher, so it was nothing different. And same thing this year. We didn't have new plays in so Cardale could throw the ball farther down the field.

"It was our base plays and he just worked within it. So nothing's changed. I even forgot about your question. I wanted to say that for a long time, I'm going to be honest with you.

"Because I don't know what that was about. I threw deep balls the whole year and then Cardale's in and it's like, 'He's got a strong arm, he's throwing the deep passes downfield.

"What?! What are you talking about? I threw the same passes.

"The thing is, now when a play breaks down and somebody is 80 yards downfield, am I going to throw it? Absolutely not. Cardale is going to throw it. I'm not going to throw that. So I feel like that's different.

"In our base offense, and throwing the deep ball, that's just part of it, we're going to take shots. We've just got to complete them and that's where we are. So it's not anything different. I might get the ball out earlier being that my arm isn't as strong as his and he might get it out later, he can have an extra hitch or a thing like that, but it's the same thing. It wasn't anything different.

"So like I said, I forgot what you asked me about, so what did you say? My bad."

Who cares what we say? This is Ohio State's starting quarterback, a captain as a sophomore, a laid-back guy who is also one of the best leaders that the coaches have ever seen, delivering the first rant of his college career.

And it's great. So I asked if this had been aggravating Barrett.

"It wasn't aggravating me. I was just like, 'Man, they're trying to play me.' I say 'they' meaning y'all media, I put you all as a group, I'm not pointing out individuals.

"I was just like, 'That's crazy to me.' If you go back and watch film, it was just like I threw a lot of deep balls. Were some of them underthrown? Absolutely. That was earlier in the year, I got better as the year went on.

"But I was like, 'Man, I got a weenie arm?' Now in the off-season I was all in my head all the time lifting weights because I felt like I couldn't throw the deep ball because y'all was talking about me.

"But I let it go, I let it go, I let it go."

Barrett was asked if his performance against Michigan State last year, including the best throw of the year on the sideline to Smith, made his case.

"I don't know. Maybe it does. I saw third-and-23, and really the play was throw the ball to Devin downfield. And we completed the ball and it was like 40 yards downfield. But it was just like, I don't know, I don't remember it.

"Third and 23."

See. He does remember it. He remembers it all.

Anything else?

"Nah, that was about it. I was holding on to that for a minute as you all can see. But no, it was good. I just wanted to say that."

I don't miss Kenny Hill, but I sure as hell want Jake Spavital gone. Can't stand this awful hybrid "don't-know-what-we-really-are" offense he's running. It's like an air raid with the tempo of a pro-style running offense.

Back