Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2015 College Football Season General Thread

htownfan32

Hall of Fame
It's that time of year y'all. Didn't see a general thread like there was for last year's season, figured I could make a general thread for us to post our thoughts in - not necessarily draft related, plenty of excellent threads for that too.

Saturday night was awesome for me, because A&M finally showed signs of life on defense vs Arizona State, which is considered one of the better teams in the stronger PAC-12 division. I won't go full Kenny Hill hype train after SCarolina mode this season and the offense has some kinks to work out (I'm not one of those Ags who's nuts for Kyler Murray. His arm leaves something to be desired even if his legs are better than Manziel's) but boy... that d-line with Myles Garrett and Daeshon Hall is just downright scary. When Daylon Mack puts a little experience under his belt, it'll be even more frightening. On offense I think Kyle Allen gives us the best shot to win but if the O-line doesn't gel quickly we're gonna have problems come the Arkansas game.

Other Texas teams... Texas vs. Notre Dame... whew. Charlie Strong doesn't have much time left... I kind of scoffed when people said Rice might beat them this year, but now that doesn't sound so impossible. SMU showed signs of life for the first 3 quarters of that game, I think Chad Morris can turn that program around. UH took care of business at home. TCU wins a close one against Minnesota... not sure what to make of TCU this year. Are they overrated? Did they just underperform? Is Minnesota just that good? Hard to tell with week one.

Around the country:

Northwestern likely tanks Stanford out of the top 25... not a good day for the PAC-12 I think. Wazzu lost to some FCS team? Arizona State loses convincingly to A&M... I don't think they fall out of the rankings but that's not a good sign for a conference everyone thought was now as good as - if not better than - the SEC.

Alabama took care of business against Wisconsin. Auburn was shaky against Louisville but won, though the Jeremy Johnson hype should cool down a little for now. South Carolina won a defensive battle with North Carolina. Spurrier's team is quickly becoming irrelevant in the SEC East... will Tennessee step up to fill the void and contest Georgia for supremacy? Or will it be a surprise contender, like Florida? Rest of the SEC played cupcakes so it's hard to say anything.

Ohio State vs. VTech tonight... can the Hokies do it again?

Ugh. Sam Houston state lost 59-45 at Texas Tech.
I guess we aren't ready to beat the big boys yet.
Could have been a sweet little road upset to start the year.
A Southland conference team beating a Big 12 team on the road.

Bearkats agenda: Google how to recruit good defensive players!

But we should crush Lamar in our home opener in two weeks.
An early bye week to fix all of those miscues I watched will help.

Cardale is Jamarcus big. His lower body looks likes Sam Montgomery's.

He reminds me of half Jamarcus and half Vince. Has the frame and arm of Jamarcus and the ability (inability) to progress through a defense and, like Vince, just throws the ball up for his guys and they magically make plays for him. He has like 4 passes of 30 yards tonight and 3 of those passes are picked every single time in the NFL. That stuff can work in college though when you're throwing to guys like Miller, Thomas, Samuel, etc.

The hype on this guy is so misplaced.

He reminds me of half Jamarcus and half Vince. Has the frame and arm of Jamarcus and the ability (inability) to progress through a defense and, like Vince, just throws the ball up for his guys and they magically make plays for him. He has like 4 passes of 30 yards tonight and 3 of those passes are picked every single time in the NFL. That stuff can work in college though when you're throwing to guys like Miller, Thomas, Samuel, etc.

The hype on this guy is so misplaced.

Yeah I agree, I don't think Cardale's success transfers to the pro level.

Ugh. Sam Houston state lost 59-45 at Texas Tech.
I guess we aren't ready to beat the big boys yet.
Could have been a sweet little road upset to start the year.
A Southland conference team beating a Big 12 team on the road.

Bearkats agenda: Google how to recruit good defensive players!

But we should crush Lamar in our home opener in two weeks.
An early bye week to fix all of those miscues I watched will help.
Perhaps you'll catch us overlooking you after we upset BAYLOR.

Lamar looked like they were going to make a game of it, but Baylor's pushing the score up.

Lamar gets an Interception & personal foul to start at Baylor's 13. Still had to settle for a field goal to cut the lead to 18.

Lamar looked like they were going to make a game of it, but Baylor's pushing the score up.

Lamar gets an Interception & personal foul to start at Baylor's 13. Still had to settle for a field goal to cut the lead to 18.
They lost their NT just before the half and lost the battle of the Line from that point on. Still, they made it a much better game than Baylor or the talking heads expected.

Toledo beat "#18" Arkansas and Jacksonville State almost beat Auburn? Powerhouse SEC.

One weekend does not a conference make.

That being said Auburn was overhyped by the media. I'm surprised at Arkansas being as weak as they are, but I thought Auburn would end up here. Jeremy Johnson was hyped for absolutely no reason and Muschamp hasn't improved the defense THAT much.

What the heck happened to sportsmanship in today's game?
Good for Florida head coach, Jim McElwain. Take control of your team.

One weekend does not a conference make.

That being said Auburn was overhyped by the media. I'm surprised at Arkansas being as weak as they are, but I thought Auburn would end up here. Jeremy Johnson was hyped for absolutely no reason and Muschamp hasn't improved the defense THAT much.

Obviously, one week doesn't tell the whole story of a conference, but you can deduce something from it.

SEC always gets a ton of love in the preseason poll, which in turn makes their wins against each other look much better than they are.

Again, this week, you have Missouri losing to UCONN 2-6 at halftime. Missouri is the same team that was down at halftime to Arkansas State and only ended up winning that game by 7. They are ranked #22 in the country. Do you think they are the #22 team in the country? Say they barely win this game, like last week. When Missouri plays a team like Ole Miss and loses, is that a quality win for Ole Miss. It sure will look that way on paper.

Auburn barely beat Louisville and it took overtime to beat Jacksonville State. Louisville is 0-3, they are not good this year. Jacksonville State is Jacksonville State. They hardly beat Chattanooga the week before they played Auburn. Auburn's QB has 5 interceptions already this year. Auburn is ranked #18 in the country. Again, is this really the #18 ranked team in the country? Today, they play LSU, who is ranked #13. LSU deserves to be ranked highly, but say they win today. Quality win against an Auburn team that struggled against poor competition earlier in the year? On paper, it sure looks like a quality win, but it's really not.

It's the preseason rankings that get people annoyed with the SEC. It's obviously not the SEC or their members' fault. Those teams can only play who they play and do the best they can. These preseason rankings really are just a blind guess as to who is good and who is not, and more often than not they are throwing 8 or so SEC teams in there because it's easy to do. It skews everything. I wish they'd just get rid of preseason rankings, but they never will. Preseason rankings drive viewership early in the season, which makes it easier to schedule which games are on which networks, etc. They'll never go away unfortunately.

Last edited:
I just watched Wake Forest defeat Army, 17-14.
Mike Weaver with a 42-yard game winning field goal.
Ice-cold veins for that sophomore. He's the player of the game.
I'm looking forward to Ole Miss versus Alabama tonight. Upset game?

Obviously, one week doesn't tell the whole story of a conference, but you can deduce something from it.

SEC always gets a ton of love in the preseason poll, which in turn makes their wins against each other look much better than they are.

Again, this week, you have Missouri losing to UCONN 2-6 at halftime. Missouri is the same team that was down at halftime to Arkansas State and only ended up winning that game by 7. They are ranked #22 in the country. Do you think they are the #22 team in the country? Say they barely win this game, like last week. When Missouri plays a team like Ole Miss and loses, is that a quality win for Ole Miss. It sure will look that way on paper.

Auburn barely beat Louisville and it took overtime to beat Jacksonville State. Louisville is 0-3, they are not good this year. Jacksonville State is Jacksonville State. They hardly beat Chattanooga the week before they played Auburn. Auburn's QB has 5 interceptions already this year. Auburn is ranked #18 in the country. Again, is this really the #18 ranked team in the country? Today, they play LSU, who is ranked #13. LSU deserves to be ranked highly, but say they win today. Quality win against an Auburn team that struggled against poor competition earlier in the year? On paper, it sure looks like a quality win, but it's really not.

It's the preseason rankings that get people annoyed with the SEC. It's obviously not the SEC or their members' fault. Those teams can only play who they play and do the best they can. These preseason rankings really are just a blind guess as to who is good and who is not, and more often than not they are throwing 8 or so SEC teams in there because it's easy to do. It skews everything. I wish they'd just get rid of preseason rankings, but they never will. Preseason rankings drive viewership early in the season, which makes it easier to schedule which games are on which networks, etc. They'll never go away unfortunately.

After two weeks the SEC's showings would certainly fall in favour of your argument. I do think the SEC was overrated into these preseason rankings but the level of suckitude displayed by Auburn, Arky, Mizzou among others has me thinking that there's definitely a power gap between the top teams in the SEC (which look to be Bama, Ole Miss, and Georgia) vs everyone else. Eventually I think we have to move away from the discussion of conference strength as a whole - which when you think about it is pretty illogical - and start looking at individual team strength when determining pre-season rankings (which I agree are an inevitable evil).

Week one was pretty deceptive about the SEC's strength. Things will become clearer as they go on.

Preseason rankings are the biggest flaw with the FBS system, playoff or not. You create an artificial ceiling and floor with the preseason ranking, and that ranking is based on absolutely no information. It's a total guess. And then if those teams lose the winner is given credit for beating a "ranked" team as if that ranking had been deserved in the first place.

That's what causes the SEC to always dominate the scene. They are given the benefit of the doubt in the preseason. And then hardly any of them play any real games outside of the conference. And then they all go 4-4 and the talking heads talk about how great they all are. Their top teams can clearly play with anyone. No doubt about it. I would never argue it. But every SEC team is kept artificially high because every conference game they play is against a team that started "ranked", or has beaten one of those "ranked" teams, or their only losses are to "ranked" teams.

Seminole is totally on point.

Cardale Jones continues to be one of the most overrated players in the entire country. Guy pulls a Matt Flynn and rides a fantastic defense and a stud RB to a title and people scream that he should be the #1 pick after three freaking games just because he's 6-5 250.

Meanwhile, as teams start to get film on him they realize they can sell out on the run and he can't beat them because he can't read coverage and he's not an accurate passer. Without Elliot running for 200+ every single game he has consistently performed worse each game. Just got yanked after the first quarter against Northern Illinois for Barrett, who is the far superior player.

So that Leonard Fournette guy is pretty alright.

Should be interesting going into next season when the talk starts up about how he could be a pro immediately and he's playing not to get hurt.

So that Leonard Fournette guy is pretty alright.

Should be interesting going into next season when the talk starts up about how he could be a pro immediately and he's playing not to get hurt.

I was just telling a friend that I bet he wishes he could go pro after this year. He looks ready in my opinion and an injury either this year or next year would be sad to see.

auburned.0.gif

Cardale Jones continues to be one of the most overrated players in the entire country. Guy pulls a Matt Flynn and rides a fantastic defense and a stud RB to a title and people scream that he should be the #1 pick after three freaking games just because he's 6-5 250.

Meanwhile, as teams start to get film on him they realize they can sell out on the run and he can't beat them because he can't read coverage and he's not an accurate passer. Without Elliot running for 200+ every single game he has consistently performed worse each game. Just got yanked after the first quarter against Northern Illinois for Barrett, who is the far superior player.

Which is why he should have entered last year's draft. He might have been a third or fourth round pick but unless he's really getting an education... very little can come out of returning to Ohio State where he was going to have to compete for the starting position.

Which is why he should have entered last year's draft. He might have been a third or fourth round pick but unless he's really getting an education... very little can come out of returning to Ohio State where he was going to have to compete for the starting position.

It's not just that, but Urban Meyer isn't known as someone who develops NFL quarterbacks. I don't think he'd have been a third or fourth rounder, likely fringe 7th, anyway.

b6nlcsqigaaxo0w-e1420809003914.jpg

He's not getting an education. This is just my opinion, but I think Urban promised him the starting job if he would come back. Barrett was coming off a pretty bad leg injury and Miller had a serious shoulder injury that might prevent him from playing QB again.

Nailed it, as usual. That hype train never would have started if he were 6-0, 190 instead of 6-5, 250. I'd put money on it.

...He's not getting an education. This is just my opinion, but I think Urban promised him the starting job if he would come back. Barrett was coming off a pretty bad leg injury and Miller had a serious shoulder injury that might prevent him from playing QB again.

I don't think you're far off. Miller was never going to play QB again. If Jones leaves you're left with just Barrett at QB, coming off a serious injury. I think he promised him the job and in return Jones could get more experience and audition for the NFL. Barrett still has eligibility left anyway so he can be an emergency backup and then get the job next year.

That's just a gut feeling. I have no insight to base that on. But Ohio St's offense does look different to me this year. Urban's offense is usually based on spreading the field with athletes and exploiting the matchups. The QB is just a point guard who gets the athlete the ball in space, dictated by what the defense allows. But they aren't doing that so far this season. They appear to be trying to force production out of the QB position by highlighting Jones and running the offense through him, which is causing them to get away from what they do best, plus exposing Jones as a product of a QB-friendly system.

I don't think you're far off. Miller was never going to play QB again. If Jones leaves you're left with just Barrett at QB, coming off a serious injury. I think he promised him the job and in return Jones could get more experience and audition for the NFL. Barrett still has eligibility left anyway so he can be an emergency backup and then get the job next year.

That's just a gut feeling. I have no insight to base that on. But Ohio St's offense does look different to me this year. Urban's offense is usually based on spreading the field with athletes and exploiting the matchups. The QB is just a point guard who gets the athlete the ball in space, dictated by what the defense allows. But they aren't doing that so far this season. They appear to be trying to force production out of the QB position by running the offense through Jones, which is causing them to get away from what they do best, plus exposing Jones as a product of a QB-friendly system.

Tom Herman leaving for UH may end up being a much bigger issue than OSU thought it would be initially.

Tom Herman leaving for UH may end up being a much bigger issue than OSU thought it would be initially.

Losing Herman hurts for sure. I certainly expected a drop-off in play calling but they have such an athletic advantage over most opponents that they should still be able to create explosive plays fairly easily.

It almost seems like they've changed their offensive philosophy for this season.

Good god, I am glad we missed on Muschamp and bagged Chavis.

At this point I see A&M going 9-3 regular season w losses @LSU, @Ole Miss, and vs. Bama.

Jack's injury has been reported as an anterior meniscus tear.

@CloakNNNdagger how does that affect his future prospects compared to an ACL or MCL tear?

There is really no such thing as an anterior meniscus. Anterior just orients you to its region of the meniscus. There is an anterior and posterior horn of both the medial and lateral meniscus. Meniscal tears commonly occur in combination with anterior cruciate ligament tears or other intra-articular lesions, and that isolated meniscal tears are rare. An anterior horn tear is less common than posterior or body/middle (area between the anterior and posterior horns) tears. Repairs as in Jack's case are performed on tears near the outer 1/3 of the meniscus where the only area of good blood supply (and healing properties) exists, or on large tears that would require a near-total resection. We aren't told if the anterior horn is of his medial or lateral meniscus (as with Clowney, the latter carries a potentially poorer long-term prognosis). The "repair" dictates the longer recovery than a "trimming" of damaged meniscus. I also have very little doubt that he has suffered some articular damage in a addition to his meniscus tear.

meniscus-anatomy.gif

wp-ROC-LocalExpertsBlog-18846-c4a28768.jpg

Two weeks in a row that the horns find a way to blow it

The way the game ended is totally on them. This is just a team that chokes under pressure and finds a way to lose. They looked to be the better team today and they had plenty of opportunities to put the game away and just never could.

Having said that, I do not think I have ever seen a game that was more one-sided in officiating. And this is coming from someone who doesn't really watch football in an emotional way, even when it's the Texans. Refs are human and there are mistakes and bad calls in every game.

Every single close call or judgment call went OSU's way. 100% of them. Bad luck. That just happens sometimes. I've seen it before. But there were also numerous blatant calls against Texas that were obviously wrong and they weren't corrected. Texas lost a TD, two turnovers, and several first downs due to terrible, obviously wrong calls. I seriously felt like I was watching the game in Remember the Titans where the refs were on the take.

KEYE just blamed it on the officials.....lol. Boy, they are a sorry excuse for local sports. I mean, really?

The officials were one of the worst groups I've ever seen. Totally amateur. And I hope better video comes out of Strong's personal foul, because it looked like the referee was actually instigating the situation. They argued (about a Texas DL being tackled and somehow called for a hold), Strong walked away, the ref followed him shouting something, and then Strong turns around and loses it. That's out of line by a referee. He's putting himself in the action so that he can determine the outcome.

But the referees didn't give up a 98 yard TD drive late in the game. They didn't take sacks on 4th down...twice, they didn't drop the ball on the 10 yd line with 30 seconds left. Texas had the game won, and they somehow found the L again anyway.

The officials were one of the worst groups I've ever seen. Totally amateur. And I hope better video comes out of Strong's personal foul, because it looked like the referee was actually instigating the situation. They argued (about a Texas DL being tackled and somehow called for a hold), Strong walked away, the ref followed him shouting something, and then Strong turns around and loses it. That's out of line by a referee. He's putting himself in the action so that he can determine the outcome.

But the referees didn't give up a 98 yard TD drive late in the game. They didn't take sacks on 4th and long...twice, they didn't drop the ball on the 10 yd line with 30 seconds left. Texas had the game won, and they somehow found the L again anyway.

Yeah. I saw the bump and Charlie wasn't trying to bump the guy or anything. To further the case, I didn't see the whole game, but I thought to myself the Longhorns just-weren't-getting-calls or had some questionable one go against them.

I was just surprised in KEYE for saying what they said instead of inferring what they did.

Anybody checking out USC/Arizona St. @ Sun Devil Stadium 35-0 'SC. Man. The 3rd just started with a sack by the Trojans.

EDIT: Trojan's ball inside the 10 after a punt and penalty.

Interesting day in the PAC. USC, coming off a bad loss to Stanford is just giving it to Arizona St, who was a preseason favorite. And Utah absolutely put it on Oregon in their own stadium.

The conference is wide open at this point. Stanford and Cal in the driver's seat in the North, UCLA and Utah in the South. Very entertaining football too.

Nate Sudfeld and Indiana are about to face OSU. Good chance to see IU against some NFL talent to see how Sudfeld stacks up.

Did nobody really see this coming...(re: Bama/UGA)?

Bama struggles against teams that stretch the field with speed (Ole Miss, Florida under Urban). Power teams like Georgia are right up their alley.

Also, I enjoyed that two week period where everyone sucked off Greyson Lambert for toasting a god awful South Carolina team. I guess they just glossed over the Vanderbilt game that preceded that? Or they just forgot that he got benched at Virginia for a guy who's not even good.

It's amazing how much hype you can get if you're 6'5 and play for a team like Georgia.

Ohio St has surely honored the football gods, because they have to be one of the luckiest teams in the country so far.

Virginia Tech was giving them a game in the opener until they lost their QB.

Against Northern Illinois they needed a defensive TD in the second half to win the game.

And now Indiana has them on the ropes without their starting QB (a mid-round NFL prospect) starting RB (second in the nation in rushing), and their best DL.

Last edited:
I might just pop in here every week to point out the absurdity of the people that thought Cardale Jones was worth a first round pick in last year's draft.

He's lucky as hell he has that RB and that defense, that's all I can say.

59.0% completions
5 TD
5 INT
Average defense faced: #86 out of 128

Congratulations! You just drafted Cardale Jones in the 1st round!

giphy.gif

Oh right, sorry, he's 6-5, 250 lbs!

champagne-celebration-gif.gif

I might just pop in here every week to point out the absurdity of the people that thought Cardale Jones was worth a first round pick in last year's draft.

He's lucky as hell he has that RB and that defense, that's all I can say.

OSU 1st half...
Jones pass attempts = 20
OSU points = 6

OSU 2nd half...
Jones pass attempts = 7
OSU points = 28

On the bright side, may teams continue falling in love with all the Cardale Jones' of the football world as to shove the legit prospects on down the board.

Throw in a workout warrior pass rusher, a buffalo wing fetish DT, and a couple wide receivers who can't spell wide receiver and we'll be sitting pretty.

Aggies get a comfortable win against Mississippi State. Offense disappeared after halftime but defense played a complete game... never thought I'd say that about a Kevin Sumlin team!

Is Florida legit?

Back