Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

With the 4th pick in the 2014 Texanstalk Mock Draft Extravagaza, the Cleveland Browns select...

Blake Bortles - QB - UCF - AAC

[IMGwidthsize=400]http://images.hngn.com/data/images/full/21420/blake-bortles.jpg[/IMG]

After years of searching for a franchise QB, and narrowly missing out on trading for RG3 last year, the Browns take a chance on Mr. Bortles. Despite having recently hired defensive minded Bills DC Mike Pettine as HC, the Browns will spend their first pick helping out the offensive side of the ball. Texans fans will of course be familiar the Browns new OC Kyle Shanahan, and I believe Bortles will fit his system perfectly. I think Bortles will thrive in this offense, assuming the Browns can get a couple of capable RBs to keep the defenses honest. Signing Ben Tate was the first piece, but later in the draft they will look to add a complementary RB and a couple more pieces on offense to help Blake out.

Highlight reel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayD9_uCz4K0

Do you project him as day one starter or do you give the re-signed Hoyer the start while Bortles develops?

Eh, dunno yet, depends on how the draft falls, and if I feel he will be adequately protected. I'd rather give Hoyer a few starts before sending Bortles out there, but I just don't see any way Hoyer beats out Bortles in camp.

Eh, dunno yet, depends on how the draft falls, and if I feel he will be adequately protected. I'd rather give Hoyer a few starts before sending Bortles out there, but I just don't see any way Hoyer beats out Bortles in camp.

Hoyer was pretty good last yr. I could actually see Hoyer starting most of the yr. Gordon will make most QB's look good. Who you going to add opposite of Gordon? LOL

Hoyer was pretty good last yr. I could actually see Hoyer starting most of the yr. Gordon will make most QB's look good. Who you going to add opposite of Gordon? LOL

Andrew Hawkins, duh. 4 years 12 million means he should be doing something. Probably going to be a slot receiver, but whatever.

I thought the Bengals were going to match Hawkins.

The Bengals have AJ Green and Marvin Jones (a guy who I recall you were very high on back in 2012). They don't need Hawkins, they can find a capable #3 WR in the draft, or somewhere. Plus, the Bengals are one of the cheapest franchises in the league, so it's unlikely they will match for that reason alone.

I don't know why the Browns want Hawkins though, it's a lot of money to spend on a guy who wasn't that good in his one year of being a 2nd/3rd option at WR. I'd rather get a guy in this draft in the 3rd or 4th for 600k a year, than spend 3m a year on Hawkins.

I don't know why the Browns want Hawkins though, it's a lot of money to spend on a guy who wasn't that good in his one year of being a 2nd/3rd option at WR. I'd rather get a guy in this draft in the 3rd or 4th for 600k a year, than spend 3m a year on Hawkins.

I agree. I personally think Hawkins is not long for the NFL. He's blazing fast, but 5'7" WRs gotta be more than fast to have a long life in the NFL. Browns totally overspent on him and I think he's going to suck, especially in their offense, but whatever.

The pick is saucy, I like it. I personally thought they'd go w/ Sammy "Speed Kills" Watkins right there, but I can't hate the pick. Good stuff so far.

I agree. I personally think Hawkins is not long for the NFL. He's blazing fast, but 5'7" WRs gotta be more than fast to have a long life in the NFL. Browns totally overspent on him and I think he's going to suck, especially in their offense, but whatever.

The pick is saucy, I like it. I personally thought they'd go w/ Sammy "Speed Kills" Watkins right there, but I can't hate the pick. Good stuff so far.

Eh... Franchise QB > WR. This draft is too deep at WR to worry about getting one at #4. I'll probably get one later in the draft.

So Mista Red is on the clock for another hour (700 -1100 AM)?

I was reading that rules sheet and I guess it said that he will be a group pick from then on? Do we have an area where we can make a simple vote or will we have 31 message board posts?

Just gonna throw this out there.....

IMO, we should give MistaRed an extra hour or two. We weren't supposed to start until this morning but we got 4 picks out of the way last night. How's the guy supposed to know that he started the day on the clock? He probably wasn't expecting to be on the clock until around noon at the earliest.

IMO, we should give MistaRed an extra hour or two. We weren't supposed to start until this morning but we got 4 picks out of the way last night. How's the guy supposed to know that he started the day on the clock?

He was online an hour ago. He should know to check this thread. All we can do is wait until the timer goes off.

IMO, we should give MistaRed an extra hour or two. We weren't supposed to start until this morning but we got 4 picks out of the way last night. How's the guy supposed to know that he started the day on the clock? He probably wasn't expecting to be on the clock until around noon at the earliest.

I agree here.

Guys, I just wanted to throw this out there too. I really appreciate being included in this last year for the first time, and again this year. This forum is definitely a community I feel attached to and I really looked forward to this after last year. Thank you guys for all being so awesome. Even those who I tend to disagree with about the state and the future of the Texans (Texian, I'm looking at you), I appreciate the well thought out logic behind the arguments and how everyone can mostly keep it civil.

/emotional outburst

Now, stop drafting all the people I want!

He was online an hour ago. He should know to check this thread. All we can do is wait until the timer goes off.

I think this is a perfect opportunity to remind people that this thing is going to move FAST. Please try to be ready for a run of picks. Especially if the moderators are proxy picking for a group. You have to be ready to pick now.

Well if we do group pick or the mods proxy pick, this one should be pretty straight forward. Raiders have needs all over the place, but I only see two options for them right here.

Time is up. I really hate to group pick is first pick. Give him more time or move on?

I say give him one more hour.

I also say if he misses this pick don't make them a group pick for the rest of the draft, give him a chance to come back.

Gotta be Manziel, right?

Him or Matthews I would think. With Clowney off the board I think it's an Aggie.

I dont think Matthews is on the radar with LT Menelik Watson and RT Austin Howard (15 million guaranteed) as the bookends. And I dont know if Clowney was at the top of their needs list with Woodley, Antonio Smith and Justin Tuck all signing.

I think WR Watkins, LB Barr, LB Mack, LB Mosley, CB Gilbert, and maybe QB Manziel.

I would probably take Gilbert or Watkins for them. They gots tha speed.

I dont think Matthews is on the radar with LT Menelik Watson and RT Austin Howard (15 million guaranteed) as the bookends. And I dont know if Clowney was at the top of their needs list with Woodley, Antonio Smith and Justin Tuck all signing.

I think WR Watkins, LB Barr, LB Mack, LB Mosley, CB Gilbert, and maybe QB Manziel.

I would probably take Gilbert or Watkins for them. They gots tha speed.

Watson has been battling leg injuries since he got drafted and only played in 5 games last year. He was set to play RT this year, but is now slotted in at LT because of the botched Saffold signing. I could see them taking Watkins because he's probably BPA, but QB and OL are definitely their biggest needs on offense. They did let their best OL walk though so who knows.

As for Clowney, they have been linked to him forever and he would likely be their BPA if he was available. Of the 3 DE's they signed, only 1 is younger than 30 so I don't think that's a deterrent to drafting Clowney. I don't see them taking Gilbert because they just signed Tarrell Brown and drafted a CB in the 1st last year. Mack is a possibility although unlikely. Too early for Mosley.

I guess if I'm choosing for them I'm choosing between Manziel, Matthews, and Watkins. JMO.

I think there is NO chance it's Manziel. This pick is Watkins or Matthews all day. Coupled with the fact that Donald Penn left without a contract after Saffold's $42.5 MM deal fell through I gotta believe LT is a pressing issue for the Raiders.

Giving him Manziel right there (all obviously just my opinion) will really throw off this mock the way that Michael Irvin threw off the NFL Network mock draft by taking Geno #1 after Mike Mayock repeatedly telling him not to do it.

Once again, we should probably just have a voting area with a simple button click. I could see my response possibly causing debate which isn't really the intention here.

EDIT: If they had ANY faith in Menelik Watson, I assure you they wouldn't have inked an injured Saffold to a $42.5 MM deal before the failed physical. And Clowney was drafted at #3.

True, but I checked last activity times last night and he was on the clock when he was online, so he needed only to check. That means he was online on two different occassions when he was on the clock. It's a bit annoying to have this happen so early. Anyway, I will not vote on group pick because Tampa is coming up 2 picks later and I am biased.

I forgot to mention that everyone participating in the draft needs to enable emails in their User Profile. We can send emails to folks when they are on the clock. Don't worry, your email won't be public.

Please go to USER CP at the top of your screen. Click Edit Options on the left, then make sure the box is checked to receive email. Also make sure you have a good email listed in your Details section.

usercp.jpg~original

I was forced to register for this forum w/ my work email because it didn't allow me to use my hotmail or gmail and I have no intention of these things going to my work email, sorry.

I tried to change my email just now and it still won't allow me to use either my hotmail or my gmail addresses.

If we're group picking it has to be Matthews, IMO. Even if he doesn't work out at LT he can be very valuable because they are garbage on the interior as well.

I was forced to register for this forum w/ my work email because it didn't allow me to use my hotmail or gmail and I have no intention of these things going to my work email, sorry.

I tried to change my email just now and it still won't allow me to use either my hotmail or my gmail addresses.

I actually have the exact same problem, so I can't get emails. The email I used back in the day was a university email that no longer exists and I can't change to my gmail.

Sorry MistaRed. Im going to give the Raiders Sammy Watkins.

I think Watson is expected to take LT, and 26 year old Howard was signed to a high dollar contract to man RT allowing them to upgrade at WR.

We all know the Raiders are known for loving speed. And Watkins has alot of it. A dynamic playmaker who will help his new QB, Matt Schaub.

All-American-WR-suspended-two-games-for-arrest-Q120GA80-x-large.jpg

JCTexan was gracious enough to proxy his pick to me.

The Atlanta Falcons select Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo - MAC

JCTexan can explain the pick when he gets in.

USATSI_7525778.jpg

07(07) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (TexansSeminole) ON THE CLOCK 12:30-4:30
08(08) Minnesota Vikings () ON DECK
09(09) Buffalo Bills (Blake) IN THE HOLE

JCTexan was gracious enough to proxy his pick to me.

The Atlanta Falcons select Khalil Mack - OLB - Buffalo - MAC

JCTexan can explain the pick when he gets in.

USATSI_7525778.jpg

Sure thing!

Given the re-build of the defensive line with veterans Paul Soliai and Tyson Jackson and a switch to the 3-4 defense, getting a pass-rushing OLB who is also the Best Player Available here makes too much sense to pass up. Mack also has experience playing in Buffalo's 3-4 defense where he played as a hybrid linebacker.

Tampa Bay added a plethora of FAs in this FA period but still have some glaring holes. I was hoping to get Watkins, because Mike Williams is overrated and they don't have anybody who can play the slot or be good depth. Watkins would have added a #2 immediately, and also the versatility to play in the slot when Williams came onto the field. However, he is not available.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers select:

C.J. Mosley - MLB - Alabama - SEC

Mosley1.jpg

This may be a bit of a surprise as the Bucs are rumored to be interested in a QB, and some mocks have them going with an OL. They addressed their need at C with Evan Dietrich-Smith, OT with Anthony Collins, and even got some depth at G behind Nicks with Oniel Cousins. Dotson, their RT, is underrated in my opinion and Matthews or another OL really isn't desperately needed here. I also thought about TE Eric Ebron here because I think he would add something to their offense that they just don't have.

In the end, I went Mosley because the Bucs' starting LBers are L. David, Mason Foster, and Jonathan Casillas (I guess). Foster is probably better suited on the bench or at SLB. So, we stick Mosley in the middle to play behind all those young DTs they have on the roster and we move Foster outside. Lovie gets his MLB for his Tampa 2.

Sure thing!

Given the re-build of the defensive line with veterans Paul Soliai and Tyson Jackson and a switch to the 3-4 defense, getting a pass-rushing OLB who is also the Best Player Available here makes too much sense to pass up. Mack also has experience playing in Buffalo's 3-4 defense where he played as a hybrid linebacker.

He's a perfect fit for what they're trying to do. Great pick.

Falcons doing some solid work this offseason.

If they are healthy they could be a huge bounce back team.

Watkins is a good choice, BPA but they have so much need you could have taken anyone really.

Despite the delay (thank you for keeping us moving Blake) this thing is off to a hot start. Lots of good picks being made.

08(08) Minnesota Vikings (NCTexan) ON THE CLOCK 1PM-5PM
09(09) Buffalo Bills (Blake)
10(10) Detroit Lions (steelbtexan)

Is this is what the real NFL draft looks like then my mock is destroyed. I can't be the only one shocked Matthews is not off the board through 7 picks... or am I?

Matthews could drop quite a bit. Lewan could even cut in front of him.

But also, linemen aren't the sexiest picks.

With the 8th pick in the draft the Vikings select Anthony Barr, OLB.

A basic pick to help offset the loss of Jared Allen and shore up a shallow LB corps.

Back