Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

I think you should do something that Divides Rep Points by Number of posts.

Anyone can say dumb stuff for years, not anyone can say quality things in a limited amount of time though.

If yall decide to do seniority or number of posts though that is 100% fair too and I'd be fine with it.

Guess I'll have to start neg repping the noobs then.... :D

Nah, we'll figure something out. I'd like to give people their first choice teams if possible, especially if no one else picks that team. I mean, why bother with complete randomness when someone really wants a specific team nobody else cares about? It's just better to dole it out based on interest if possible.

The Texans will of course have a lot of folks interested, so that one will be random.

Guess I'll have to start neg repping the noobs then.... :D

Nah, we'll figure something out. I'd like to give people their first choice teams if possible, especially if no one else picks that team. I mean, why bother with complete randomness when someone really wants a specific team nobody else cares about? It's just better to dole it out based on interest if possible.

The Texans will of course have a lot of folks interested, so that one will be random.

Good idea, but you might want to only add names to the list that actually have the Texans listed in the spreadsheet. Some might not want the scrutiny that comes with the pick.

Good idea, but you might want to only add names to the list that actually have the Texans listed in the spreadsheet. Some might not want the scrutiny that comes with the pick.

I gave you my list,

You can add me to the Texans in the random drawing.

Yeah, that's the idea. If you want to pick the Texans, make it one of your 3 choices. If you don't get the Texans, then I'll look at second and third choices.

On the first pass, I'll see what teams were rated #1 alone by people. Do a random draw for anyone else who listed the team, and move on to the next #1 choice. The idea would be to try and fill teams based on interest first, and then go with the 2nd and 3rd options.

I'm thinking there needs to be a weight system. #1 choice gets 5 entries into the random drawing for X team, #2 get 3 entries, #3 gets 1. That way if someone really wants a team in particular, they can put more points towards getting that team. I think it's a bit more fair to do it this way, and hopefully people will be more happy with the results.

Yeah, that's the idea. If you want to pick the Texans, make it one of your 3 choices. If you don't get the Texans, then I'll look at second and third choices.

On the first pass, I'll see what teams were rated #1 alone by people. Do a random draw for anyone else who listed the team, and move on to the next #1 choice. The idea would be to try and fill teams based on interest first, and then go with the 2nd and 3rd options.

I'm thinking there needs to be a weight system. #1 choice gets 5 entries into the random drawing for X team, #2 get 3 entries, #3 gets 1. That way if someone really wants a team in particular, they can put more points towards getting that team. I think it's a bit more fair to do it this way, and hopefully people will be more happy with the results.

Awesome

Man, you put a lot of thought into this.

Didn't bah007 run the Texans draft last year and he picked Keenan Allen 1st round and everyone hated it? Oops...

Corrosion picked for the Texans.

He did a better job than Rick/Gary/Wade did.

Correct. I sat out last year because I was too busy with work and couldn't put in the time. I'm good to go this year.

I picked for the Texans the year before and got blasted for taking Reuben Randle when everyone wanted Stephen Hill.

Correct. I sat out last year because I was too busy with work and couldn't put in the time. I'm good to go this year.

I picked for the Texans the year before and got blasted for taking Reuben Randle when everyone wanted Stephen Hill.

Haha I remember that. Im still embarrassed about taking Kerrigan for the Jags @16 and letting you take Watt for the Pats @ 17 in 2011.

i dont have a google account. but if someone can put me down, heres mine.

the texanator 1.texans 2.cleveland3.cowboys and then whoever else you need me to do.

Glad to have you back.

Haha I remember that. Im still embarrassed about taking Kerrigan for the Jags @16 and letting you take Watt for the Pats @ 17 in 2011.

Haha yea I was the New England Texans that year. Took Watt at #17 and Brooks Reed at #33.

If we're really doing this I'd like Seattle. They always end up drafting the guys I like the most anyway.

They are actually really fun to draft for. I did them last year as well since the didnt have a 1st. Got Zach Ertz, David Bahktiari , Mike Glennon, Trevardo Williams, Denard Robinson, Arby Jones, Zac Stacy. I think Jones and Stacy were group picks.

So when should we cap this? When we hit 32 participants? Looks like we have 16 so far. At some point we should just go ahead and assign the teams, then let people pick the leftovers. Or double up if needed.

I'd be good with anyone who's left over.

If I have to pick three, it would be:
1. Jaguars
2. Titans
3. Colts

That way, I can take a harder look at our divisional competitors.

Last year was my first time to participate, I would gladly take the Saints if I meet the criteria.

So I've never done this here before.

Is everyone allowed to be really rude after each pick if they disagree or is that frowned upon?

Is everyone allowed to be really rude after each pick if they disagree or is that frowned upon?

I would only say to be easier on whoever picks for the Texans than you are on everyone else. That's a tough spot to be in and it's hard to reply to every single person with a criticism. No matter who they pick half the people on the board will be upset with it.

Why would you feel the need to be "really rude"?

Disagreement is fine, but don't be an ass.

I would only say to be easier on whoever picks for the Texans than you are on everyone else. That's a tough spot to be in and it's hard to reply to every single person with a criticism. No matter who they pick half the people on the board will be upset with it.

I do not envy the poster who picks for the Texans one bit.

I do not envy the poster who picks for the Texans one bit.

I had a blast doing it a couple years back. But it can be a hassle.

If you're picking for any other team, you might have 1 or 2 people asking you about why you made a certain pick.

If you're picking for the Texans, you have no less than 10 people asking you to explain your thought process after every single pick. And no matter how you respond, it won't change their mind.

I had a blast doing it a couple years back. But it can be a hassle.

If you're picking for any other team, you might have 1 or 2 people asking you about why you made a certain pick.

If you're picking for the Texans, you have no less than 10 people asking you to explain your thought process after every single pick. And no matter how you respond, it won't change their mind.

Give me the texans, I'll blow this board up!! :brando:

In early days I wanted to be the Texan GM now its more like, Hell No! For all the reasons bah007 mentioned plus more, compound that with a new coach who keeps his true intentions high & tight all one can do is take bpa in order of most immediate need with highest ceiling :butterfly:

Why would you feel the need to be "really rude"?

Disagreement is fine, but don't be an ass.

You gotta heckle if you don't like something. And many see heckling as 'really rude'.

That's what this board is anyway. I didn't make these rules, but after my like 4th post when people began aggressively attacking me for things I'd said I simply decided, "when in Rome..."

Honestly, it's kind of more fun like that anyway. When people get really riled up is when the best arguments go down. People get after it with me in one thread and then we form common opinions in another. This stuff shouldn't really bother anyone anyway in the grand scheme of life. Plus you can use this super funny gif if you get real into it:

:slapfight:

Quick update on team selections:

If you want to participate in the draft, please go to the spreadsheet and fill out your name and 1-3 teams you would like to be in the draft. You don't have to pick 3, but you aren't any more likely to get your #1 selection if you don't pick others. However, the higher you rank a team, the more likely you are to get that team! So please rank them 1-3 as shown in the column headers!
Link to Draft Signup Sheet

I added two columns, so even if you are already on there, please fill out Yes or No if you are "Open to drafting other teams" than the 1-3 you listed OR if you are "Open to drafting for multiple teams." Those of you who mark yourselves down as a "Yes" on either of these may get first dibs on the remaining teams without GMs.

So far we have 19 people signed up, so we may need folks to double up on some teams. For your reference, here are the teams that no one has put in their top 2 and are likely easy to get if you signup:

Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Cincinnati Bengals
Indianapolis Colts
Kansas City Chiefs
New York Giants
Pittsburgh Steelers
San Diego Chargers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Washington Redskins

Just an FYI, those of you who signed up for only 1 team, you will not be guaranteed that team. I'll give it another few days, and then I can start doling out the teams.

That is the modus operendi of this board. But don't let that stop you. I for one will be glad to poke holes in someone else's hard work. Consider it critique rather than criticism. Same root, but different connotations.

I would say there is a 95% chance in this Texans mock it will be Teddy (unless he measures 6'1", 190 lbs w/ 8" hands), a 4% it will be Jadevon and 1% chance it will be other.

My three would be Atlanta, Colts, Jags and Titans. If those 3 don't work I'll take these two, San Fran, Washington, Seattle.

I would say there is a 95% chance in this Texans mock it will be Teddy (unless he measures 6'1", 190 lbs w/ 8" hands), a 4% it will be Jadevon and 1% chance it will be other.

My three would be Atlanta, Colts, Jags and Titans. If those 3 don't work I'll take these two, San Fran, Washington, Seattle.

Are you counting from zero?

If I remember correctly I participated in this 2 years ago as the Chicago Bears. I want back in!

Nah, I GM'd for the Bears year before last and kinda got skewered for "reaching" for Stephan Wisniewski in the first who ended up going to the Raiders in the second and has done pretty well for himself.

Had the stinkin' Jets last year.

Lol... OK well I put you down for the Falcons, colts and Jags in that order, and said Yes to being open to other teams. Feel free to edit that if you want to. :shades:

So far we have 21 signups and 6 confirmed who are open to drafting for multiple teams. We are closing the gap on 32 total teams claimed by the numbers alone, but aren't quite there. If we get another 5 people, we can theoretically cover all the teams, but it may be best to go ahead and start assigning them now and let the leftovers get claimed in the future.

I color coded the teams so they are easier to spot to some degree. For anyone else who wants to sign up or change their order of teams, the teams on the right that don't have a color don't have anyone claiming them yet.

Current signup sheet status:

DraftSheet.jpg~original

I'm open to multiple.

Thats-What-She-Said-Michael-Scott-Last-Episode.gif

Go ahead and do it. If people havent seen this thread yet then they need to get on here more often. haha

Ok, I can do that. I'll start with the Houston Texans, and then allow the folks who don't get that team to add another team afterwards.

I'll be doing a weighted random draw. Teams put #1 get 5 entries, #2 gets 3, #3 gets 1. I'll be using a random number generator to draw a number, and whoever has that number wins! :)

Link to the generator: http://www.random.org/

I did the Houston Texans pick, and I'm happy to announce that TexansFTW won the draw! The random number generated between 1-29 was lucky number 13, which was one of his 5 numbers.

Drawing1.jpg~original

The complete list of numbers owned was:

1 bah007
2 bah007
3 bah007
4 TexansSeminole
5 TexansSeminole
6 TexansSeminole
7 TexansSeminole
8 TexansSeminole
9 JCTexan
10 JCTexan
11 JCTexan
12 TexansFTW
13 TexansFTW
14 TexansFTW
15 TexansFTW
16 TexansFTW
17 Blake
18 Blake
19 Blake
20 Blake
21 Blake
22 Thetexanator
23 Thetexanator
24 Thetexanator
25 Thetexanator
26 Thetexanator
27 Htownfan32
28 Htownfan32
29 Htownfan32

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but once someone wins a team through a drawing, they will not be in other drawings until everyone has a team. I'll go ahead and complete assigning other teams until I post the full list.

So here are the teams and their GMs after I went through and assigned the teams. I started with anyone who had a 1st priority team that no one else put in their top 3. Teams like the Saints, Vikings, Seahawks and 49ers immediately went off the board. Then I went down the list and rolled for the GMs who wanted teams that were contested. It worked out to where only two people got their 3rd ranked team (Blake and Texanator), and one person didn't get any of their top 3 (TexanSeminole, sorry dude :().

I think TexanSeminole should get his pick of the remaining teams before we start giving out 2nd teams to folks. If for some reason the Eagles or Dolphins owner would like to gift Seminole their team, just let me know and we can work that into the process, and whoever does will get their pick of the remaining teams. I know Beerlover was interested in picking for 2 teams, so maybe he could give Seminole the Eagles and take his top 2 teams from the remainder. Just an idea, no obligation for him to do so if he happens to be a huge Eagles fan.

Team assignments:

TexansFTW - Houston Texans
Dutchrudder - Cleveland Browns
bah007 - Seattle Seahawks
WolverineFan - San Francisco 49ers
steelbtexan - Chicago Bears
ndevine7 - New York Jets
mussop - Green Bay Packers
kiwitexansfan - Arizona Cardinals
JCTexan - Atlanta Falcons
RT22 - St Louis Rams
Thetexanator - Dallas Cowboys
NCTexan - Minnesota Vikings
drs23 - Pittsburgh Steelers
Coon - New Orleans Saints
Htownfan32 - Miami Dolphins
beerlover - Philadelphia Eagles
MistaRed - Oakland Raiders
The Pencil Neck - Jacksonville Jaguars
Blake - Denver Broncos
Texian - Indianapolis Colts
TexansSeminole - :(

Leftovers:
Baltimore Ravens
Buffalo Bills
Carolina Panthers
Cincinnati Bengals
Detroit Lions
Kansas City Chiefs
New England Patriots
New York Giants
San Diego Chargers
Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Tennessee Titans
Washington Redskins

I hope everyone is happy with the results! If not, you can leave me your feedback in a scathing neg rep :P

Back