Keep Texans Talk Google Ad Free!
Venmo Tip Jar | Paypal Tip Jar
Thanks for your support! 🍺😎👍

2014 Texans Talk Mock Draft SELECTION

The mock seems to be easier to do without trades. It takes away preposterous trade guys ability to talk people into things that don't makes sense. With that said if there are trades allowed the Lions #10 pick is open for business. LOL

What's the start date?

Yeah. Trades make things difficult and people can try to pull off some crazy and unrealistic things.

I was just asking because someone proposed a trade with me. I was going to take it but I didn't think we were allowed to make trades.

Yeah. Trades make things difficult and people can try to pull off some crazy and unrealistic things.

I was just asking because someone proposed a trade with me. I was going to take it but I didn't think we were allowed to make trades.

We never do trades because it's too much to manage. Also, there are still a few picks outstanding due to conditional trades, so some of the draft order may change over the next few weeks.

We never do trades because it's too much to manage. Also, there are still a few picks outstanding due to conditional trades, so some of the draft order may change over the next few weeks.

That and free agency. Cap room is increasing ~$10 mill this year. That's a really big deal. That's like Brian Orakpo big deal.

It really sucks they increase the cap number in a year where we are coming off a 2-14 season. We look a hell of a lot worse than we really are to some free agents that don't want to go into a dumpster fire.

If you guys are both OK with it, Mussop can have the Giants. Just let me know and I'll amend the spreadsheet.

Yeah, someone filtered on their name and it didn't show anyone else. It has been cleared. The icon at the top right of the ribbon that looks like the top-half of an hourglass is the filter button. Clicking it will turn off/on filters, and clicking it twice will clear/remove all filters, thus showing all the data.

I would love to have the giants.

I apologize for being late as hell. Mussop please take the G-men...Dutch I'm still keeping the Chargers.

^ Got it.

So just to remind everyone, we settled on a start date of Monday March 17, 2014. That will be a week after free agency opens, and I'm hoping that compensatory picks will be announced. If the compensatory picks are not announced, we will do the draft up to the end of the 3rd round and then decide to wait or keep going. If we don't have the picks by then, we may need to borrow someone's projections and work them into the draft as needed. Those comp picks will help some teams, so I'd like to have them.

^ Got it.

So just to remind everyone, we settled on a start date of Monday March 17, 2014. That will be a week after free agency opens, and I'm hoping that compensatory picks will be announced. If the compensatory picks are not announced, we will do the draft up to the end of the 3rd round and then decide to wait or keep going. If we don't have the picks by then, we may need to borrow someone's projections and work them into the draft as needed. Those comp picks will help some teams, so I'd like to have them.

If we get to the end of 3 and comp picks aren't announced I vote to hit the pause button until they're announced. It completely changes the direction and way one can think. (I speak for myself obviously).

See yall next Monday.

This is NOT a sign up for the mock draft. Just a thread to start discussing when we want to do it, and to give everyone a heads up well in advance so when the time comes to sign up they aren't left out because they didnt see the signup.

The NFL Combine is February 22-25 and the NFL Draft is May 8th. I suggest waiting until after the combine to do our draft. I think it goes without saying, but if you choose to participate you should know more than just round 1 prospects, and be available everyday to update your "big board" or make a selection. If we want to take the slow, let everyone have a day to pick approach, then we would need to start in February before the combine.

What are everyone's thoughts/concerns?

I would like to be apart of this mock draft, if there is any room left. I have done this before on some other Houston Texans Message Boards. I would gladly participate. Let me know if there are any teams left. Thanks!

im-so-giddy-i-cant-contain-myself.gif

lol, what is going on here? I can't interpret these GIFs like you pros I guess.

Anyways, this thing is still going down Monday right? What time Monday do you want me to throw it down?

Is there any way we can post the selection rules where everyone can easily find them?

It gets irritating when people miss their pick and throw the whole thing off.

I, and anyone else doing the draft could link people to the "rules" post that we are about to make. Which brings up the fact that we havent agreed on rules yet. I dug this up from the 2012 mock draft.

RULES:
NO TRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Start: Monday, March 17th, 07:00am.
Teams: All Assigned.
Rounds: This is a 7 round mock.
CLOCK RULES:
Your clock time starts when the team in front of you makes a pick. Unless it was made while the clock is not running. In that case it will start at 7AM of the following weekday morning. You may pick at nights or on weekends if your team is on the clock.

Clock Only runs from 7AM-9PM

Round (1): 4 hours per pick.
Rounds (2-7): 4 hours per pick.
Night: Clock stops running at 9PM. Picks can still be made.
Morning: Clock starts running at 7AM.
Weekends: Clock stops. Picks can still be made.

Unavailable, proxy or MIA:
1.) If you miss a single pick, the rest of your teams draft will be a group pick.
2.) If you know you will be gone for awhile and might miss your pick, PM your top X players to myself or another member of this mock. They will make a proxy pick for you. JUST FREAKING DO IT!

Just here to say I will have to rely on the group to proxy a bit.

The clock runs from about 1am to 3pm New Zealand time.

In the past if your pick was up, you could make it even if it was at 1am Texas Time.

If possible when you see you're going to have a pick coming up when you're not going to be on-line, shoot me (or one of the people helping out with the draft) a list of who you're targeting in the order of your preference, and we'll make that pick for you when your pick comes up.

I'll frequently put together a list of 10 guys I'll be targeting and when my pick is approaching and I know I'm going to be in a meeting or something, I'll send my list to whoever's running the show or whoever's participating so they can proxy-pick for me.

Once 700 AM rolls around I am generally in a meeting.

If yall wanna just expedite this, I'm sure about 90% of yall know who I am going to pick and that hasn't changed.

Last edited:
Once 700 AM rolls around I am generally in a meeting.

If yall wanna just expedite this, I'm sure about 90% of yall know who I am going to pick and that hasn't changed.

I'd be okay with you posting it before 7AM or even on Sunday night. Whatever time is convenient for you would be just fine with me.

With the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select... Shlake Shortles. Siiikkeee. They take my man Teddy Bridgewater. Look at the 100 pages in the TB thread if you want an explanation on this one.

With the first pick in the 2014 NFL Draft the Houston Texans select... Shlake Shortles. Siiikkeee. They take my man Teddy Bridgewater. Look at the 100 pages in the TB thread if you want an explanation on this one.

It's good to see Texian didn't take you hostage and make the pick .

Good pick, he was #1 on my board.

I forgot to mention prior to the draft starting, I would really appreciate it if people can format their picks like this:

Name - POS - School - Conference (abbreviated)

Teddy Bridgewater - QB - Louisville - AAC

It allows me to copy/paste it into the draft spreadsheet easily, so we can get some stats on our picks and see who has been picked.

Spreadsheet is HERE

Having gone back and watched more videos specifically on his arm, he looks to me like a QB who is choosing his loft for the situation rather than a QB with an "acceptable" arm who is lofting the ball to make the distance.

I agree.

I think it's very lame that these top guys choose to sit out of the combine because they have more to lose than gain (I get it though, it's a business, blah blah). With that said I think he could have shown some people his arm is just fine.

I believe his completion % would have been substantially worse if he could ONLY lob balls up because of this inferior or sketch arm some claim. It's pretty clear (IMO) he picks and chooses when and how to make his throws.

I think Bridgewater does loft his passes intentionally. I think he'll have to watch this in the pros because the DBs will be able to break on those balls better and it could lead to interceptions or passes being broken up at the least.

As Redskins GM I resent the previous administrations callous disregard for its future 1st rounders.

Has Griffin be worth the cost?

Losing out on 1:2 suggests it hasn't worked out.

With the 3rd pick in the Draft, the Jacksonville Jaggywires select:

Jadeveon-Clowney.jpg

Jadeveon Clowney - DE - South Carolina - SEC

Given the Jag's recent signings on the DL, this was tough. I almost went Bortles here but I couldn't pass up this athleticism. Especially with how anemic the Jag's pass rush was last year.

Good picks #2 and #3.

This is how I foresaw my mock draft going through 3 picks. This is where it gets saucy though.

Back